Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paul Corry

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts

Paul Corry

Since it seems to be the fashion that if an Irish player so much as breaks wind across channel, a thread is started about him so I'll start this one on Paul Corry who has just signed a three year deal with Sheffield Wednesday:

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...l-3214866.html

I haven't seen him play on my rare visits to Tallaght to see the Hoops so I don't know whether he is a creative/destroyer type of midfielder.

Hopefully this thread will run to over 1000 posts as he leads both Ireland and the Owls to glory and not because he bails out from an Irish team on the way to Brazil because the lavatory hasn't been cleaned properly.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He's not really creative or a destroyer. More an all round midfielder. Can tackle, pass and pops up with good goals every now and then. He's taller than most lads who go from LOI to England so thats on his side too
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

4. Thanks From:

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Good luck to him, SW is potentially a big club, they had an attendance of staggering 38,082 when they were in league one!!
    They are a club on the up it seems, he is in the first team squad so look forward to seeing him getting a game sometime soon.
    They have had their debt cleared and if you can pull in almost 40,000 in league one you should have a good cash flow!!
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 30/08/2012 at 7:58 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Yeah, Corry's a very good player, surprised it's taken him this long to get a move.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    I haven't seen him play on my rare visits to Tallaght to see the Hoops so I don't know whether he is a creative/destroyer type of midfielder.
    Maybe I'm overselling him, but I'd put him along the same lines as John Sheridan (not as good necessarily!). Technically excellent.

I think he finished his commerce degree last year; the plan always was to head back to England after that. Was looking to leave over the winter (to Rovers, I think), but this seems a better move.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    He was to join Pats last pre-season but the clubs couldn't agree compensation.
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Straight onto the bench vs Crystal Palace. Fair play to him, he must have made a good impression in training.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Making his first start for Sheffield Wednesday in the league cup tonight at Southampton.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Subbed off after 66 minutes, with Wednesday 1-0 down. Was on set-piece duty, but don' tknow any more than that about how he got on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd imagine his fitness isn't quite up to 90 minutes yet. Still, he was kept on at half time ahead of his midfield partner Lee so he must have been doing something right.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    I know it's not quite the same, but he has been playing regularly over the summer, so he shouldn't be too bad fitness-wise. Whether he's up to taking on Premiership reserves straight away is another thing obviously.

On a Wednesday forum, they were saying he was fairly anonymous.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I'd be thinking more about playing at that intensity for 90 minutes against players who will surely be fired up to force their way into a struggling side. Plus he's basically at the end of his season.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    780 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I'd imagine his fitness isn't quite up to 90 minutes yet. Still, he was kept on at half time ahead of his midfield partner Lee so he must have been doing something right.
    Lee was injured and taken off at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    On a Wednesday forum, they were saying he was fairly anonymous.
    Probably talking about the team as a whole. What Forum was that?

Don't know whether it's a good thing for him to join a team on a 19 match unbeaten run (won't get a game) or one which has since lost 5 in a row (possibly get a game with a team which is struggling and next match away to Wolves).
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    When he was on MNS one of the things he commented on was the intensity and he said it would take a few weeks for him to get up to speed with that. He sounded quite confident though in his own ability and seemed like a very focussed guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    This article confirms that it's fitness/intensity that's the issue, and hints that he'll need a rest and a pre-season behind him to contend for a first team spot: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/footb...ones-1-4966076

DAVE Jones feels that Paul Corry’s debut at Southampton was just the start of something big for the 21-year-old Irishman.The Owls manager rates the midfield player as a bright prospect who can serve the club for years.

First he must carry on building up his general fitness and may not yet get a run in the first team in the Championship. But the Capital One Cup tie at St Mary’s was an ideal opportunity to give him his first taste of senior football after his recent arrival from University College Dublin, where training was only part-time.

“I thought the kid did really well,” says Jones. “He flagged near the end, but he has been playing football for the university team. He’ll be a good player for this club; he’s got a bright future. I’m very pleased with him.”
    He hasn't been on the bench for the past two league games. Perhaps the international break will give him a chance to come up to speed, but like I said he's at the end of his season now, and this is a step up.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    This article confirms that it's fitness/intensity that's the issue, and hints that he'll need a rest and a pre-season behind him to contend for a first team spot: http://www.thestar.co.uk/sport/footb...ones-1-4966076

He hasn't been on the bench for the past two league games. Perhaps the international break will give him a chance to come up to speed, but like I said he's at the end of his season now, and this is a step up.
    Making out he has been playing football for the 'university team,' while factually correct, makes it sound a bit of a Mickey Mouse set-up. I am sure Dave Jones knows that it is a bit more than a 'university team' set-up. Corry is a very good player, I would think he has a chance of becoming a senior international but not under the current manager!
    'And Crouch must score'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Why do you say that? Fahey made it and he seems less like a 'Trap' type of player.

Interesting mention of 'Canadian' Caolan Lavery in the comments there making the bench for SW.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    He made his first league start in the Yorkshire derby tonight at home to Leeds. It looked like he played well, very tidy in possession, some nice passes and even a long-range effort from what I saw as I flicked back and forth. The game ended in some fairly ugly scenes as Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland was punched by a Leeds fan.

24. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    He made his first league start in the Yorkshire derby tonight at home to Leeds. It looked like he played well, very tidy in possession, some nice passes and even a long-range effort from what I saw as I flicked back and forth. The game ended in some fairly ugly scenes as Wednesday goalkeeper Chris Kirkland was punched by a Leeds fan.
    Looked OK, definitely a very left-footed player. I was watching on mute at work so couldn't always tell when it was him.

It was a very entertaining match to watch up until the Kirkland incident, exactly what a derby should be. I'd have love to have seen Miguel Llera get a hold of that scumbag.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 19/10/2012 at 9:57 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Great to see him in the team so quickly.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast