Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: 19 years

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    420 Posts

19 years

Ive seen someone say on the main site that we are now 19 years in the First Division just out of interest how many of ye that post on here have been following Limerick long enough to have seen us in the Premier?

Too young myself ive been going for 12 years now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Technically, the current team is there since 2007

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Following since 1989. Saw us get relegated, go straight back up under Allardyce, and go down for good 2 years later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    40 Posts
    i'm so bloody old i remember winning the league in St.Mels Park! i was only a nipper at the time and did'nt see much of the match due to the overcrowding at that kip of a ground but its still a lasting memory..... Hopefully we'll back up in the big time this year.
    "We've had a lot of good times, but you don't know how good they are until you have the bad ones" Tony Adams

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Since 1988. Can remember us being a top 4 side in the Premier with some cracking players. Can also remember Noel King's era well, we were top 6 in the Premier, won the League Cup and a certain Brian Kerr couldn't stand the sight of us. We were relegated shortly after that though and haven't come up since.
    Last edited by 4tothefloor; 30/01/2012 at 2:53 PM. Reason: sic!

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Too young to ever see the club in the premier unless I was dragged along as a toddler which I doubt. The thoughts of possibly playing in the premier in 2013 is the only thing to get us through this season. Nothing else to really look forward to.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Although I'm old enough to have been around at more succesful times, I was unaware of the very existence of League of Ireland until 2004. I had some vague notion that there was some sort of Limerick football club but no idea how it fitted into the grand scheme of things - since I "discovered" it in 2004 its just gotten better and better with every passing year.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB76 View Post
    Although I'm old enough to have been around at more succesful times, I was unaware of the very existence of League of Ireland until 2004. I had some vague notion that there was some sort of Limerick football club but no idea how it fitted into the grand scheme of things - since I "discovered" it in 2004 its just gotten better and better with every passing year.
    It was all our success in 2004 that got you on the bandwagon, you barstooler.

11. Thanks From:

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KevB76 View Post
    Similar enough to be honest. Went a couple of times in the 90's as a 9 or 10 year old but in my eyes it was just like a junior soccer matches as outside of the premier league in England there was nothing in most youngfellas eyes. I wouldn't say anyone I knew at that time ever even heard of a Limerick FC. Came back then during the glory days of the early 2000's and haven't looked back since.

Says a lot for the club now though when you see the amount of young kids who know who Limerick FC are and have the jerseys etc.... Never would have seen it in the primary schools before.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Cant remember how long ive been going to games but I can remember a big game v Derry City in Rathbane, there was a temporary stand erected behind the dugouts to the right, think it was probably late 90's ???

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,000 Posts
    Late 90's?? It was 1989 I think. Although I'd apparently been to games before that, the Derry game was the first memory I have of going to Limerick FC games (or City as they were back then). We lost 3-1 and our title challenge ended.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    1986 fai cup second round in rathbane vs rockmount and a reg since 88/89 season

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Late 90's?? It was 1989 I think. Although I'd apparently been to games before that, the Derry game was the first memory I have of going to Limerick FC games (or City as they were back then). We lost 3-1 and our title challenge ended.
    Sorry meant to say late 80's, I think I really am getting old :0

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    January 1990....made my Dad bring me to Rathbane for my birthday..lost 3-1 to Cork City...and I remember they donated a check of £200 at halftime. Sounds dodgy now. Winning 1-0 with a Howie King goal in Turners Cross to go above St.Pats and into the top 6 was sweet, especially as Pats had voted for the 6/6 thing as it favored them as a big club..so the story was at the time anyway. League Cup win the same year was great. Favourite win was the LC quarter final in Rathbane v Cork City 2-0 in extra time, maybe 100 people there..Ray O'Halloran wouldn't let us be beaten that day. We were terrible that year though and went down. Allardyce was class the next year and we romped up. Missed many years in the FD though while I was abroad, but perhaps 'missed' is the wrong word. Let it be over this year!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    1976 Markets Field at home to Home Farm. 2-0 win....

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    nice one....and well in time for the league & cup wins a few years later. Must have been nice. Wonder how far away times like those might be.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I was only 7 when my father brought me first. Sunday afternoon games, kick off 2pm. First cup final was the following year, beaten by Dundalk. Remember the league win in 79/80 pretty well and John O'Dwyer RIP the ex club secretary was a neighbour and he brought me to Dalymount on the team bus for the 82 Cup final. Spurs with Hoddle, Perryman, Hughton, Galvin, Ardiles etc in Thomond Park, Southampton, AZ Alkmaar in Europe in the Markets Field were amazing, but my 2 forever memories will me Real Madrid albeit in Lansdowne and Joe O'Mahony scoring against Man United in the Markets Field. My two favourite clubs on the same pitch. Great days.