Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rory Donnelly

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Rory Donnelly

anyone know anything about this kid, he plays for cliftonville seems he'll be in england by Jan either Swansea, Everton or Liverpool - scored a cracker against linfield

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/16237980.stm

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    He has played for Northern Ireland under-21 so.........not a great sign, that does not tie him in internationally
    but that's as much as I know, maybe he could switch to us as some point but I don't like to raise my hopes
    too high without more evidence.

The is no flag by his name here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliftonville_F.C.

Which means he might be 'up for grabs', but as he has played for the North I am not optimistic.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tricky_colour View Post
    He has played for Northern Ireland under-21.
    He hasn't - yet.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    This guy arrives in the limelight just as Robbie nears a glorious swansong??

I don't believe in coincidence.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    He hasn't - yet.
    Well he is described and a NI u21 international here
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/mobile/...03.stm?SThisFB

He may not have actually played yet though.

Also he has the NI flag here.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuropaleague...614/index.html

Sounds to me he is a Rory of the McIlroy type.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    205 Posts
    Beginning to feel sorry for footballers from "Nationalist" backgrounds in NI. Play for us and they become hate figures on OWC. Stick with / elect to play for NI and get lambasted here for implicit treachery. Also have considerable sympathy for Armstrong. He is without question an Irish footballing legend for his 82 World Cup heroics. The whole of Ireland got behind NI in that tournament. I think we should respect the right and decision of any NI born player to play for NI or in Armstrog's case work for the IFA to spot and develop talent. Whatever decision Donnelly makes, I'd wish him all the best (and hope he signs for Liverpool)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Beginning to feel sorry for footballers from "Nationalist" backgrounds in NI. Play for us and they become hate figures on OWC. Stick with / elect to play for NI and get lambasted here for implicit treachery. Also have considerable sympathy for Armstrong. He is without question an Irish footballing legend for his 82 World Cup heroics. The whole of Ireland got behind NI in that tournament. I think we should respect the right and decision of any NI born player to play for NI or in Armstrog's case work for the IFA to spot and develop talent. Whatever decision Donnelly makes, I'd wish him all the best (and hope he signs for Liverpool)
    Name one NI player that has been 'lambasted', as you say, on here for sticking with the IFA. Wasn't much lambasting going on as far as I can see in the cases of Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn, Johnny Gorman etc etc. Don't think there was even much of a fuss when Alex Bruce decided to switch.

Anyway, I doubt that many of the lads who decide to play for Ireland are lying awake at night over what a few bitter keyboard warriors on OurWeeMindset might say about them.

Also, Gerry Armstrong is a colossal douche - period.

8. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    There's no excuse for Armstrong's ignorance of the eligibility rules, spouting on about the GFA etc. If it's not ignorance, it's worse.

SSN saying he could well be on his way to Swansea. Rodgers will be advising him to stay with NI - if it's even an issue for the lad. Good luck to him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    103 Posts
    Leave our Rory alone. If he's lucky enough to be good enough for international duty, he will decide for himself without the need for any sweet talking from reps of any association.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ih09AzzHlrc

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Name one NI player that has been 'lambasted', as you say, on here for sticking with the IFA. Wasn't much lambasting going on as far as I can see in the cases of Paddy McCourt, Niall McGinn, Johnny Gorman etc etc. Don't think there was even much of a fuss when Alex Bruce decided to switch.

Anyway, I doubt that many of the lads who decide to play for Ireland are lying awake at night over what a few bitter keyboard warriors on OurWeeMindset might say about them.

Also, Gerry Armstrong is a colossal douche - period.
    We've had eligible players (albeit in the main, those of a low profile) throw their lots in with England, Australia and the US too if I'm not mistaken and you'd be hard pressed to find a negative response around here, certainly in comparison to some other boards. One of the things I like about the place actually.

As for Armstrong, I found him quite likeable and enjoyed his various commentary gigs but can't hear his name now without thinking of the cringey Uncle Tomisms he's been indulging in of late.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Agree with all this (apart from the Liverpool bit)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    SSN saying he could well be on his way to Swansea. Rodgers will be advising him to stay with NI - if it's even an issue for the lad. Good luck to him.
    Surely Rodgers would do the opposite? His son Anton is in our under 17 squad and played for the under 15 & 16, he could have chosen the north or England instead. I'm sure his dad would have advised him in that seeing as he declared so young and was already playing for a big club in Chelsea.

Also didn't Rodgers play for us at school boy level?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,096 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRed View Post
    Surely Rodgers would do the opposite? His son Anton is in our under 17 squad and played for the under 15 & 16, he could have chosen the north or England instead. I'm sure his dad would have advised him in that seeing as he declared so young and was already playing for a big club in Chelsea.

Also didn't Rodgers play for us at school boy level?
    Can't find the article but he recently seemed to change stance, explaining that Anton has been speaking to Northern Irish officials (Armstrong) and that Northern Irish boys should be playing for Northern Ireland etc He's also related to Nigel Worthington so I'm not sure will he have altered his stance once more.
    Last edited by Olé Olé; 20/12/2011 at 12:39 AM.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    As for Armstrong, I found him quite likeable and enjoyed his various commentary gigs but can't hear his name now without thinking of the cringey Uncle Tomisms he's been indulging in of late.
    Castle Catholic?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    but as he has played for the North I am not optimistic.
    Even if he had played for NI below senior competitive level, I don't see why it would make any substantial difference as to whether or not he may decide to declare for us. Shane Duffy and James McClean both played for the IFA on numerous occasions but are now committed to paving out an international career with us.

Stick with / elect to play for NI and get lambasted here for implicit treachery.
    Not in the slightest. I don't think anyone on this forum seeks to deny the individual choice of those who possess dual/multiple citizenship, whatever the specific circumstances are, be they relating to the FAI and the IFA or the FAI and any other association. Where have you encountered posters lambasting those of a nationalist background playing for the IFA? If an individual makes a choice to declare for an association, as is his right under FIFA's regulations, that's nobody else's business as far as making that personal decision is concerned. As highlighted, we've had players defect, just like any other association, but nobody's crying about it. We've come to terms with the seemingly difficult notion of personal autonomy.

People ridiculing Gerry Armstrong is a separate thing entirely and has more to do with his recent fawning in public and the fact he clearly doesn't have a clue about what he's talking about when it comes to the rules governing player eligibility.

I think we should respect the right and decision of any NI born player to play for NI or in Armstrog's case work for the IFA to spot and develop talent.
    Who isn't respecting that right/decision? Armstrong can wax lyrical all he likes about "Roman Catholics" of "Ulster". I'll continue to be amused by its futility and cringe-worthiness, but I do acknowledge his right to do it. As he would no doubt say himself, I can only wish him "good luck".

Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    Can't find the article but he recently seemed to change stance, explaining that Anton has been speaking to Northern Irish officials (Armstrong) and that Northern Irish boys should be playing for Northern Ireland etc He's also related to Nigel Worthington so I'm not sure will he have altered his stance once more.
    Think this is the one: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/15016954.stm

The Carnlough man commented that he is very happy in his current role of club management at Swansea but would be keen to manage Northern Ireland in the future.

"One of my ambitions as a manager is to manage my country and I would be proud to do that one day."

As it stands, Rodgers' son Anton has declared for the Republic of Ireland, but his father says "that is not something that can't be rectified".

"I spoke with Gerry Armstrong recently as I'm a big advocate of Northern Ireland.

"I want to see Northern Ireland boys play for Northern Ireland and the reason my son is playing for the Republic is simple - they asked him while he was never asked to play for Northern Ireland.

"I've been speaking to Gerry and I think he's planning to go to Brighton to speak to him.

"Northern Ireland is a small country but we have a lot of talented players - we just have to look at how we can keep things moving forward."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Delighted. Can't want for the tug-of-war with OWC to begin.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Rodgers will be advising him to stay with NI - if it's even an issue for the lad. Good luck to him.
    I suspect that you are unfamiliar with Carnlough and it's residents.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    The sound of a thousand FAI poachers suiting up in their "FAI Jackets" will meet the news of this completed transfer.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by punkrocket View Post
    I suspect that you are unfamiliar with Carnlough and it's residents.
    I suspect you are unfamiliar with the comments attributable to Rodgers, as highlighted in post #15?
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    The is no flag by his name here
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cliftonville_F.C.
    Well now he is listed twice, once with an N.I. flag and one with a Republic flag.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast