Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Irish YouTube Clips

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts

Classic Irish YouTube Clips

Mods, there may be a better place for this so feel free to merge if there is an existing thread.

Just back in New York after the two games in Dublin. As I promised some of you I delved into the video collection when I was home. I didn't have time to download very much but have a few pieces which I'll add to youtube over the next few days.

Almost everything is from 1986-1996 (the Charlton decade) but I found some bizarre stuff starting with this - the RTE news report on Frank Stapleton's decision to retire from International Football in September 1990. The report includes Frank's goals against Germany in 1989 and Malta in 1983 (not the 1990 one as Colm Murray claims). The pitch in Malta was shocking.....

"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    The pitch in Malta was shocking.....
    Ahead of their time with the illuminous ball though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Mods, there may be a better place for this so feel free to merge if there is an existing thread.

Just back in New York after the two games in Dublin. As I promised some of you I delved into the video collection when I was home. I didn't have time to download very much but have a few pieces which I'll add to youtube over the next few days.

Almost everything is from 1986-1996 (the Charlton decade) but I found some bizarre stuff starting with this - the RTE news report on Frank Stapleton's decision to retire from International Football in September 1990. The report includes Frank's goals against Germany in 1989 and Malta in 1983 (not the 1990 one as Colm Murray claims). The pitch in Malta was shocking.....

I can remember people jumping out of their cars in Rathmines (myself included)when Stapleton scored in the last minute in Malta. The match was only covered live on the radio with RTE showing the highlights the following Saturday. Great Stuff EastTerracer. I had already booked for the Spain away game in Zaragoza and it would have been a meaningless game for us regards qualifying without Stapo's goal.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 30/03/2011 at 9:52 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    This clip shows the goals from Wales v Ireland in February 1991 (about 8 weeks before the 1-1 draw in Wembley). Two goals for Niall Quinn and one for John Byrne.

There is no way this game would be played today given the icy pitch conditions. The only reason it went ahead at the time was due to the large number of traveling supporters on the day - I went over on the Holyhead ferry that morning and came back overnight afterwards - a long and tiring day

"There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

6. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Gread finds! Can't believe they played on either the pitch in Matla or Wales.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,634 Posts
    This clip shows the goals from Wales v Ireland in February 1991 (about 8 weeks before the 1-1 draw in Wembley). Two goals for Niall Quinn and one for John Byrne.

There is no way this game would be played today given the icy pitch conditions. The only reason it went ahead at the time was due to the large number of traveling supporters on the day - I went over on the Holyhead ferry that morning and came back overnight afterwards - a long and tiring day
    i remember some Wales player coming on as a sub in that game, runs on and goes straight on his arse. Gave a 13 year old spanner like me a great laugh!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    i remember some Wales player coming on as a sub in that game, runs on and goes straight on his arse. Gave a 13 year old spanner like me a great laugh!
    I remember Giles describing the Welsh centre-back Eric Young as being"like Bambi on ice" as his legs kept going from under him. Even watching that clip again there is one moment where Alan McLoughlin almost falls over backwards as he tries to run.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    a sticky with all the ireland videos on youtube from past campaigns would be great. i think there are a few gems on there.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts

The headed goal reminds me a bit of Shane Lon'gs the other day, as in with it being a high jump.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    It's a pity the FAI don't do what the English FA did and set up an official Youtube channel, with official highlights and archive bits from past campaigns. It wouldn't be of any commercial loss to the FAI, as the older DVDs and videos (Rising Sons, Road to Asia, The Charlton Years, Road to America, etc) are surely out of circulation by now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    108 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    the older DVDs and videos (Rising Sons, Road to Asia, The Charlton Years, Road to America, etc) are surely out of circulation by now.
    A box set of those would be great

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,233 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    a sticky with all the ireland videos on youtube from past campaigns would be great. i think there are a few gems on there.
    There is such a thread in the Fans' Forum somewhere. It's incomplete though. I'll see if I can find it and sticky it. I can't merge this with it though.

Edit - here we go. Maybe keep any new additions to there to keep things together?
    Last edited by pineapple stu; 31/03/2011 at 9:13 AM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Fantastic work EastTerracer. Mind if I include them in a GreenScene post?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Supreme feet View Post
    It's a pity the FAI don't do what the English FA did and set up an official Youtube channel, with official highlights and archive bits from past campaigns. It wouldn't be of any commercial loss to the FAI, as the older DVDs and videos (Rising Sons, Road to Asia, The Charlton Years, Road to America, etc) are surely out of circulation by now.
    is the charlton years available on the internet? i have the first two on vhs and ive seen road to america.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    There is such a thread in the Fans' Forum somewhere. It's incomplete though. I'll see if I can find it and sticky it. I can't merge this with it though.

Edit - here we go. Maybe keep any new additions to there to keep things together?
    i might have a search around later to find some more of those. there must have been more added since.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by boovidge View Post
    is the charlton years available on the internet? i have the first two on vhs and ive seen road to america.
    There are two versions floating around, one has the audio out of sync and isn't the highest quality. I believe this one might have the audio in sync and is higher quality
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DFXDEDY0 (credit to osgood09 at FBTZ)
    Last edited by theworm2345; 31/03/2011 at 5:23 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    There are two versions floating around, one has the audio out of sync and isn't the highest quality. I believe this one might have the audio in sync and is higher quality
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DFXDEDY0
    you sir, are a scholar and a gentleman.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    Fantastic work EastTerracer. Mind if I include them in a GreenScene post?
    No problem at all. I'll add a couple more tonight on the Fans Forum sticky.
    Last edited by EastTerracer; 31/03/2011 at 4:34 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    No problem at all. I'll add a couple more tonight on the Fans Forum sticky.
    Thanks very much. Will compile it over the next few days.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    I've transferred the clips above and added some new ones to the sticky in the fans forum here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast