Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pope's UK visit

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts

Pope's UK visit

Can't say I blame people for protesting during the Pope's visit to the UK, but Catholics have better grounds for doing so than Dawkins & Co. The Vatican continues to drag its feet on child sex abuse, with the current focus falling on Belgium and Germany, and it's hardly appropriate to expect each visitor this week to cough up £25 while simultaneously refusing to cough up a cent of its own money to tackle the issue. Perhaps the best signal that could be sent to Rome is if British Catholics boycotted the ceremonies, no notice will be taken otherwise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    Delighted to hear of unsold tickets, particularly in light of the news that more than half of their collection of paedos are still actually priests, despite promises to the contrary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    Would have loved to have made it over myself, just the way things worked out that I couldnt go. Ah well hopefully a visit here isnt to far off
    Champions 2010
    Champions 2011
    Dick Brush 1 Sligo 0
    Bohs are going bust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Pope Benedict has become the Karl Lagerfeld of the ecclesiastical world: a German-born, white-haired style icon of a certain age.
    from here

Hilarious stuff
    "I'm just a chilled out entertainer"

Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Whilst I'm no fan of the global association of kiddie fiddlers (surely you'd struggle to find an organisation that is less christian in its ethos?), I do find it ironic that the Presbyterian and other churches are now protesting the visit only out of sympathy for the way the Catholic Church has treated its flock..... How they can say that with a straight face amazes me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    717 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    Whilst I'm no fan of the global association of kiddie fiddlers (surely you'd struggle to find an organisation that is less christian in its ethos?), I do find it ironic that the Presbyterian and other churches are now protesting the visit only out of sympathy for the way the Catholic Church has treated its flock..... How they can say that with a straight face amazes me.
    In fairness, he did claim they're not real churches.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    To be fair to the RC Church, child abusers are everywhere.

Whilst their past antics (& those of other strands of Christianity and doubtless other religions) are unforgivable, 80% of this abuse takes place within the members of the immediate family or household,. Which is a relative taboo no-one wants to address.
    And leaves this excess of religion far behind.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    To be fair to the RC Church, child abusers are everywhere.
    Yes they are. Most people who claim to be any kind of decent person doesn't cover up what their doing, and facilitate them in raping and abusing more children within their care!!They STILL haven't gotten rid of the child abusers within the church which they claimed they would.

No one thinks it's the churches fault that they're were priests who were child abusers. I do blame them though for creating an atmosphere and protecting them in such a way that the priesthood was a haven for a pedophile and they should all burn in the hell I dont believe in for the suffering they caused the vast vast amount of innocent children who got raped as a result.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by culloty82 View Post
    Can't say I blame people for protesting during the Pope's visit to the UK, but Catholics have better grounds for doing so than Dawkins & Co. The Vatican continues to drag its feet on child sex abuse, with the current focus falling on Belgium and Germany, and it's hardly appropriate to expect each visitor this week to cough up £25 while simultaneously refusing to cough up a cent of its own money to tackle the issue. Perhaps the best signal that could be sent to Rome is if British Catholics boycotted the ceremonies, no notice will be taken otherwise.
    That just annoys me, surely the church is about spreading the word of God, and yet people have to pay to hear it, just bamboozling. Its like that tax from roman empire, that you would not go to heaven unless you paid for buildings in the vatican.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    204 Posts
    My sister lives in Edinburgh and she was saying that she was going to go throw eggs at him. I went mad at her and told her to cop herself on. Told her not to be stupid, throwing eggs at him. I told her to get some rotten tomatoes instead coz that will stain his white dress and really pee him off.

13. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    The protestors who are coming out in force (non-Catholics) are the joke of the year. Dawkins and his unlikely lot should just stay home and wait to become humus, the Muslim radicals should be turfed back to Mecca and see how their antics are entertained there, while Paisley - a man who got his collar in a Corn Flakes box (with his own made up church) and a degree from an uncredited and discredited college, a man who saw fit to attack women and children at Burn Tallot Bridge, come on! I just hope the Pope shows the same PR touch he did in recent visits abroad. In Malta he met privately with representatives of victims of clerical abuse (2 men who'd been abused at a church orphanage), listened to them, apologised and put out an order to remove a previous Papal edict barring release of church records. If he did this in the UK it would be a massive coup. I would seriosuly respect the man if he were to come to Ireland, meet privately with abuse victims groups, and I believe you would quickly see a major swing in support for the church. Even as it is, if he were to come to Ireland in a month there'd still be a massive turn out - if the barstoolers did it for Manure, they'd do it for the German Shepherd!

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    a man who got his collar in a Corn Flakes box (with his own made up church)
    A made up church? They're all made up!

And the funny thing about Paisley is that most of the things he accused the RC church of later turned out to be correct.
    Last edited by Mr A; 16/09/2010 at 11:01 AM.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
    The protestors who are coming out in force (non-Catholics) are the joke of the year. Dawkins and his unlikely lot should just stay home and wait to become humus, the Muslim radicals should be turfed back to Mecca and see how their antics are entertained there, while Paisley - a man who got his collar in a Corn Flakes box (with his own made up church) and a degree from an uncredited and discredited college, a man who saw fit to attack women and children at Burn Tallot Bridge, come on! I just hope the Pope shows the same PR touch he did in recent visits abroad. In Malta he met privately with representatives of victims of clerical abuse (2 men who'd been abused at a church orphanage), listened to them, apologised and put out an order to remove a previous Papal edict barring release of church records. If he did this in the UK it would be a massive coup. I would seriosuly respect the man if he were to come to Ireland, meet privately with abuse victims groups, and I believe you would quickly see a major swing in support for the church. Even as it is, if he were to come to Ireland in a month there'd still be a massive turn out - if the barstoolers did it for Manure, they'd do it for the German Shepherd!
    You are of course entitled to your own opinion, but I'd argue that over the last 5 years Paisley has exhibited many more Christian values that the hierarchy of the Catholic Church.

Read today's and yesterdays "life values" survey in the Irish Times for a brief taste of public opinion on the Church in Ireland. The Church and its core tenets are becoming increasingly irrelevant in the context of public opionion, values and lifestyle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    The protestors who are coming out in force (non-Catholics) are the joke of the year.
    Dawkins and his unlikely lot should just stay home and wait to become humus
    That's scarcely fair. It's like being barred from a sci-fi convention for not believing in Star Trek.

I just hope the Pope shows the same PR touch he did in recent visits abroad.
    Ah yes ...the good ol' PR touch.
    Most important to get out the message that you're doing something -regardless of whether you're actually doing something.

In Malta he met privately with representatives of victims of clerical abuse (2 men who'd been abused at a church orphanage),
    listened to them, apologised and put out an order to remove a previous Papal edict barring release of church records.
    I just want to be sure I'm understanding you properly here - he's to be commended for deciding he and his church were going to cease and desist being frustrative and vexatious towards the local authorities in their efforts to get child molesters before the courts. Boola Bas there Ben.

I would seriosuly respect the man if he were to come to Ireland, meet privately with abuse victims groups, and I believe you would quickly see a major swing in support for the church!
    What's the fixation with private meetings? (unless it's at the victims' request). What if the victims requested an open forum, let's say another Phoenix Park gig under the JP2 monument, where they could vent their frustrations to and with Il Papa?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Lionel, in relation to the meetings, would you prefer a Late Late Show appearance with a hand selected bunch of morons wound up by Tubofcrud? It's a normal for of reconciliation and development in all walks of life, not just in religion, in business, sports etc. As for ordering the local authorities to stop being pedantic and obstructing justice, I'd have thought it deserves at least a commendation, especially as each diocese (not even archdiocese) can control it's own records except if specifically ordered by the Papal authoties to open the books, it cannot be a Papal Bull, missive or letter, it has to be on a piece by piece basis - due to the originally fragmented development of the church. So for him to do so in Ireland would be a massive step - and probably bring some healing to alot of people.

Mr. A - agreed, though Paisley's church is a good gas.

ORA, he is still a bigotted thurd who knows he's getting closer to the fiery pit. His preachings on so many matters are more catholic than the most right wing priest would preach - including railing against single mothers, islam and the evils of "pictures", this is the same man who proudly stated he'd only ever been to one film in his life! Not to slam him for that, but come on, I can just imagine the house of horror stories that will emerge when he kicks the bucket!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    As for ordering the local authorities to stop being pedantic and obstructing justice, I'd have thought it deserves at least a commendation, especially as each diocese (not even archdiocese) can control it's own records except if specifically ordered by the Papal authoties to open the books, it cannot be a Papal Bull, missive or letter, it has to be on a piece by piece basis - due to the originally fragmented development of the church. So for him to do so in Ireland would be a massive step - and probably bring some healing to alot of people.!
    So in summation the church STILL, after all it's been through, adhere's to the 'higher law' claptrap where it's own rules and regulations trump the civil law of the land. Scandalous. I suddenly understand just a little bit why people who scaremonger about the 'islamification of Europe' can get hot and bothered about sharia courts and the like. Sure if we'll tolerate one crowds parallel judiciary why not anyone and everyone elses?

Lionel, in relation to the meetings, would you prefer a Late Late Show appearance with a hand selected bunch of morons wound up by Tubofcrud? It's a normal for of reconciliation and development in all walks of life, not just in religion, in business, sports etc. !
    In light of your subsequent explanation that the Roman Catholic Church is actually just a great big Presbyterian church who the Pope apparently can't order to do squat - I'd rather he eased up on the optics, the days of prayer and attonement and whatever other window dressing and just said OKAY -NEW RULE -you give the legitimate forces of law and order wherever you are in the world -EVERYTHING.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    501 Posts
    I have one word for idiot parroters of the "the church is always right" mantra: Galileo.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lionel Ritchie View Post
    So in summation the church STILL, after all it's been through, adhere's to the 'higher law' claptrap where it's own rules and regulations trump the civil law of the land. Scandalous. I suddenly understand just a little bit why people who scaremonger about the 'islamification of Europe' can get hot and bothered about sharia courts and the like. Sure if we'll tolerate one crowds parallel judiciary why not anyone and everyone elses?

In light of your subsequent explanation that the Roman Catholic Church is actually just a great big Presbyterian church who the Pope apparently can't order to do squat - I'd rather he eased up on the optics, the days of prayer and attonement and whatever other window dressing and just said OKAY -NEW RULE -you give the legitimate forces of law and order wherever you are in the world -EVERYTHING.
    I guess you have no fingernails to fight with so best let you get on with it. Though you should read texts more carefully and not try to draw deliberately wrong conclusions that best/worst suit your need for adversity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts

Made me do a little LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast