Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gerard Kinsella

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Gerard Kinsella

Why is not playing for ROI anymore?

http://www.evertonfc.com/player-profile/gerard-kinsella has him down as English

yet in the past he has played for ROI youth teams:

http://indigo.ie/~bvr/Ireland16.htm

Funnily enough, played with Jay Wallace who is not eligible any more!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Did it used to say Ireland and just now changed? I wouldn't read too much in to it, probably just lazy work by the person editing their site.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Did it used to say Ireland and just now changed? I wouldn't read too much in to it, probably just lazy work by the person editing their site.
    Well, it's said England since the 8th of April anyway (Google Cache :P).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    He's not eligible in the slightest, as far as I'm aware. On the Everton website, he lists England as the only team he is eligible for and he was born in Liverpool (not Dundalk, which is where Football Manager had him down as being born). I was always confused as to how Wallace and Kinsella managed to play for Ireland despite not being eligible.

http://www.evertonfc.com/academy/gerard-kinsella.html

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Whoopi Goldberg is his favourite actress? We definitely don't want this guy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If he wasn't eligible at all, why did the FAI allow him to play at the expense of another player ?

It seems like the FAI don't bother doing checks. Kinsella.. Irish surname right?

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Lou View Post
    . Kinsella.. Irish surname right?
    Depends how you pronounce it!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    If he wasn't eligible at all, why did the FAI allow him to play at the expense of another player ?

It seems like the FAI don't bother doing checks. Kinsella.. Irish surname right?
    Good question. But maybe he is eligible.

Anyways interesting to see the team for that game.

Republic of Ireland team:
    Harry Lee - Charlton Athletic
    Richie Towell - Crumlin United
    John Dunleavy – Ballybofey United
    Niall Byrne - Home Farm
    Conor Hourihane – Douglas Hall
    Aaron Doran – Blackburn Rovers
    Conor Clifford – Crumlin United
    Gerard Kinsella - Everton
    Jay Wallace - Everton
    Greg Cunningham – Mervue United
    Karl Sheppard - Shelbourne

SUBSTITUTES:
    Jason Hughes (Geraldines), David Heagney (Huddersfield) and Paul Corry (Belvedere) for Wallace, Sheppard and Cunningham (All 72 mins).
    Mark Connolly (Monaghan Utd), Chris Oldfield (Liverpool) and Neil Harney (Belvedere) for Byrne, Lee and Kinsella (All 79 mins).
    Quite a few of them are currently with LOI clubs. At this moment in time, it's probably only Clifford that will eventually be capped at senior level.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts

Very good question...apparently there's been a few more over the years that have quietly gone away because they were never eligible in the first place (Julian Kelly, Oliver Kelly etc). Seems the least thing any association would check before giving a cap.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    See that's the thing that irks me. I'm not entirely sure about the eligibility of Kinsella and Wallace (and I'm open to correction), but it seems to me that the FAI were either fooled or knowingly played the two, despite their ineligibility.

If they were not eligible at all, I'd love to know the story. However, if they were in fact eligible, then I have no problems. It just seems that they were never eligible, or else decided to play for England.

Ifk, surely Greg Cunningham is on the verge of receiving a cap? What about Aaron Doran?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    Ifk, surely Greg Cunningham is on the verge of receiving a cap? What about Aaron Doran?
    You're right. Cunningham is the obvious one. Not too sure about Doran. If Sheppard and Corry have good seasons, I think they'll attract cross-channel interest again and get their own threads on foot.ie.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    [QUOTE=Predator;1347675]See that's the thing that irks me. I'm not entirely sure about the eligibility of Kinsella and Wallace (and I'm open to correction), but it seems to me that the FAI were either fooled or knowingly played the two, despite their ineligibility.

If they were not eligible at all, I'd love to know the story. However, if they were in fact eligible, then I have no problems. It just seems that they were never eligible, or else decided to play for England.

----------

Neither qualify.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    there's no competitive international games at U16 level, so FIFA do not require documentation to prove eligibility. When a player moves into the U17 squad, and called up for official FIFA and UEFA underage tournaments then official government documentation to confirm the player's eligibility is required. What has happened in the past is that the player thinks he is qualified, and turns out for the U16s and when the same player is required to produce the relevant documents for U17 competition, they find out they are not eligible.
    It's also happened with Anthony Gerrard (Steven Gerrard's cousin) and Julian Kelly of Reading.
    Last edited by tetsujin1979; 16/04/2010 at 11:13 AM.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    Julian Kelly isnt Irish? ahh he always gets into the Irish first team on FM

I wonder how all these players think theyre eligible?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    504 Posts
    because footballers are idiots

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Alf Honn View Post
    Neither qualify.
    I suspected such. Do you know how they supposedly qualified when they represented the U16s?
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    You're right. Cunningham is the obvious one. Not too sure about Doran. If Sheppard and Corry have good seasons, I think they'll attract cross-channel interest again and get their own threads on foot.ie.
    Gerard Kinsella has his own thread despite not being eligible and he looks like he might not make it at Everton! At least, a fair few youngsters are ahead of him. Sheppard was at Everton but didn't make a breakthrough.

Are you an Everton fan bluelou? If so, do you know much about Sheppard and whether he has potential to make it in the Premiership, given that he was released by Everton?

Quote Originally Posted by Acornvilla View Post
    because footballers are idiots
    Woah! These guys were kids, can we blame them? It is likely that the parents and the FAI handled the eligibility question.

Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    there's no competitive international games at U16 level, so FIFA do not require documentation to prove eligibility. When a player moves into the U17 squad, and called up for official FIFA and UEFA underage tournaments then official government documentation to confirm the player's eligibility is required. What has happened in the past is that the player thinks he is qualified, and turns out for the U16s and when the same player is required to produce the relevant documents for U17 competition, they find out they are not eligible.
    It's also happened with Anthony Gerrard (Steven Gerrard's cousin) and Julian Kelly of Reading.
    Thanks tetsujin. I don't think that's enough though. A player can't just claim to be eligible without the FAI checking it out. Surely the FAI have to take responsibility?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,316 Posts
    In Gerrard's case, he thought his grandfather was from Ireland, and when he went to claim his passport, he found out he was actually born in England.
    Not sure what happened in Kelly's case but I'd imagine it was something similar. He turned out for the U19s in friendly games, where official documentation is not required, but was later found to not qualify.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Predator, I'm an Everton fan but never saw Shep' play. From the stats, it doesn't look like he'd make a Championship player. A few players from the academy have dropped to League Two (and some to the league of wales). I think he was released and signed for Galway Utd?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    He has been playing for Galway yeah. As IFK says, there's every chance that if he has a good season, it won't be long until he's back over in England. Jay O'Shea signed for Birmingham from Galway.
    According to Wiki, Everton signed him for about E200,000 and beat off competition from a few Premiership clubs; surely he still has potential, considering he's still quite young.
    Last edited by Predator; 16/04/2010 at 2:25 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    He has been playing for Galway yeah. As IFK says, there's every chance that if he has a good season, it won't be long until he's back over in England. Jay O'Shea signed for Birmingham from Galway.
    According to Wiki, Everton signed him for about E200,000 and beat off competition from a few Premiership clubs; surely he still has potential, considering he's still quite young.
    I was at UCD v Galway a couple of weeks ago. Sheppard didn't do much and missed a brilliant chance to snatch a winner in a game with very few chances. He has the hair and the boots of a top-class player anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast