Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1452

Thread: Roy Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Never liked Chicago but I can understand people who do. Eskimos? Silly argument anyway, they call themselves "The Second City." Who calls themselves that? Its the Brussels of the US.
    Surely Washington is the Brussels of the US?

My point is I don't think many "Irish-Americans" portend to be as Irish as people born and raised in Ireland.
    For the ones that do.....how, and when, does their prediction become realised?

I enjoy watching the Irish team and will continue to do so and if Admin wanted to ban me due to the Xenophobia that is perpetrated by some of the slower readers on here, he would have done so many posts ago.
    Why would that fella Admin ban you for the supposed xenophobia of others?

I have a good auld Irish last name. Im proud of it.
    Auld is a Scottish word.
    Last edited by The Fly; 15/05/2011 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Shouldn't you stay in the (Dont quote vids) section Fly? WTF is that? And who is staying on top of you these days?
    Fly is also known on the other website, YBIG. Often in a not so good way.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Sku, if the Canucks make it, may they open the finals to something like this, which was incredible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhK1EGRZIc

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    Shouldn't you stay in the (Dont quote vids) section Fly? WTF is that?
    I just decided to get off the wall and reply to your strange, and somewhat incoherent, post.

And who is staying on top of you these days?

Fly is also known on the other website, YBIG. Often in a not so good way.
    That's a different fly.
    Last edited by The Fly; 15/05/2011 at 1:01 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post

That's a different fly.
    Mom's basement?
    Im all around..Im the Fly...Im....Stop. If you are 16 fine. But why the BS? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GI6CfKcMhjY
    Last chance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    574 Posts
    I vote for Chicago as well.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    Sku, if the Canucks make it, may they open the finals to something like this, which was incredible.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OhK1EGRZIc
    im still ****ed with the canucks for knocking the hawks out but that clip is quite awesome. I actually remember it - Alanis had them eating out of the palm of her hand though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Never liked Chicago but I can understand people who do. Eskimos? Silly argument anyway, they call themselves "The Second City." Who calls themselves that? Its the Brussels of the US.
    Second to whom? Most think Vegas and LA are better so wouldn't that make it "The Fourth City?" (At least)? I know a lot of people, including Grant Achatz, rate San Fran better on food alone.
    Surprise, surprise, it was a loud, obnoxious (I should've included arrogant in there too) New Yorker who gave us that name. Yet people here aren't so pretentious as to be bothered by names like this or the originally derisive name of the Windy City.

Next time we have the misfortune of having you in town I hope you come spouting off more of your **** (you can wear green so you can feel Irish and show off how much more "intuned" you are if you want so everyone will know) and I'll be happy to show you why we've also been described as "stormy, husky, brawling City of the Big Shoulders"
    Last edited by theworm2345; 15/05/2011 at 6:46 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    It's the American Civil War. I never realised Roy had started that too.

11. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    How does one know though really how a particular player might feel at any point in their life unless the player concerned actually comes out and says something on the matter? As has been mentioned earlier, it's very possible that a sense of Irishness can develop as a second or third-generation individual matures and seeks to learn more about their heritage. Maybe their parents didn't instil a sense of pride in heritage from a young age, but should they necessarily be chastised for this if willing to investigate? And what about Barry Maguire, for example?
    And it just happens to develop when the realisation that they won't get capped by England and Scotland sinks in? Give me a feckin break...
    If you attack me with stupidity, I'll be forced to defend myself with sarcasm.

13. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Yep, McGeady & McCarthy realised they'd never get capped by Scotland when they were teenagers.

15. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Clark was capped for England, had prospects of more and it didn't make a blind bit of difference to his preference.

17. Thanks From:

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Yep, McGeady & McCarthy realised they'd never get capped by Scotland when they were teenagers.
    In fairness, they were exactly the kind of cases I had in mind...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Macy View Post
    In fairness, they were exactly the kind of cases I had in mind...
    Who do you have in mind exactly?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Pennant is the obvious current example, but it was sickening to see Ireland supporters fawning over Kevin Nolan a couple of years ago too (as he came without the pennant style baggage, it didn't seem to be a problem). You know your nationality and/or the importance of your heritage at least before you're 20. No one could doubt the likes of Kilbane, but they suffer both in terms of getting in the team, as well as by association, with the acceptance of careerist players who decide late to declare for "the republic".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Pennant is the obvious current example, but it was sickening to see Ireland supporters fawning over Kevin Nolan a couple of years ago too (as he came without the pennant style baggage, it didn't seem to be a problem). You know your nationality and/or the importance of your heritage at least before you're 20. No one could doubt the likes of Kilbane, but they suffer both in terms of getting in the team, as well as by association, with the acceptance of careerist players who decide late to declare for "the republic".
    Surely these guys - who have yet to come near a cap - are the exception rather than the rule. When Keane, and to a certain extent yourself, make comments about careerists it suggests some kind of endemic problem in the Ireland team, like the squad is full of multi-national mercenaries. Which is quite unfair to suggest since the majority of non-Ireland born in the squad have been very proactive (McCarthy, McGeady, Clark, Kilbane etc).
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Neither Pennant or Nolan are Irish players, and if Pennant is to be believed, there's been no contact of which he knows from the FAI, so it's not as if we're tripping over ourselves to get these types involved. The general reaction on the forum to Pennant's original declaration of "interest" was a rather unenthusiastic one.

Why the specific mention of Scottish-born players earlier? Have we had any Scottish-born players in recent years whose decision to play for us could be even remotely suspected of being close to the mercenary or careerist category?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    I don't recall any "fawning", the reaction at the time was "if he does qualify, he could be what we need in midfield"
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    im still ****ed with the canucks for knocking the hawks out but that clip is quite awesome. I actually remember it - Alanis had them eating out of the palm of her hand though.
    Can we take this talk to the appropriate forum.

It's lonely and there's wolves... well Sharks after me.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Godless Commie Scum
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    436 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    I don't recall any "fawning", the reaction at the time was "if he does qualify, he could be what we need in midfield"
    When it should've to tell him to stick it.

Quote Originally Posted by #1017 DannyInvincible
    Why the specific mention of Scottish-born players earlier? Have we had any Scottish-born players in recent years whose decision to play for us could be even remotely suspected of being close to the mercenary or careerist category?
    I wasn't trying to make it specifically about either English or Scottish born players tbh, same criteria (if there was to be one) should apply to both.

Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast