Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: GAA Query

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts

GAA Query

After having a discussion with a few friends, I would like to know if any of you support GAA club teams or is it only the county teams that you support.

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    424 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    After having a discussion with a few friends, I would like to know if any of you support GAA club teams or is it only the county teams that you support.
    When I lived at home I'd travel to see my local club even if I wasn't playing. I went down to Kildare in 2006 to see them play in the Leinster Junior championship. I don't think you really support club teams in GAA it's more of a community thing, everyone knows someone involved with the team or playing on the team so it's supported by default. Football clubs were never ingrained in the community the same way, at least not down my way anyway.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    Only county. I don't have any affinity to the local clubs. I know lads involved with local clubs and they don't go to any matches they aren't playing in.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    not too gone on the club at home loads of buffs and what not. having said that if they were in a county final i would support them. still back in wesht, the clubs are well supported.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts

clubs = LOI ; county = Ireland....

....is the way I tend to view the support. My affiliation to Kerry is throught my parents both being from Kerry, even though I lived in the wastelands of Crumlin! I only played football with the school and my local club (Croimghlinn) are a massive hurling club.
    I'm down in Laois now and have gone to see a few club games and some of the O'Byrne cup games in Port, but Kerry games are my staple GAA diet. I'd follow championship in Kerry too, know that I think of it I went to quite a few Mary's games when I was living there.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I would be very involved in our local GAA club. Rarely if ever miss a game, league or Championship. As far as supporting, its usual you would support your parish or whatever GAA club is closest to you
    Ever get the feelin' you have been cheated?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Support Cork obviously and support my local club who I also play with. You don't choose to support another club you always support the local team be it junior B or senior IMO
    Last edited by ollie; 04/09/2008 at 11:05 PM.
    Life isn't all beer and football...some of us haven't touched a football in months

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    I support both local club and county. Have always been as involved and interested in GAA as soccer. Pitch is only two or three good kicks away (haven't tested) and clubhouse is my local pub, and the community in general would be much more into the local GAA team. I had my cruciate done more than a year ago (and have had the spin-off injury of laziness since) but I'd still be close to the team so would still very much support them and go to most matches. Hopefully will get back into it next year maybe.

In general in Kerry I'd say (following detailed statistical analysis) that 60% of the county would take a very close interest in the Kerry team, while maybe 30% would at this moment in time be highly involved in a club (drop-off is caused by people who used play for a club but didn't start coaching/join committee, but would still be kinda into GAA and would actively follow Kerry while taking more of a passive, don't-go-to-games interest in their club).

You definitely get a few hangers-on, sunshiners, lá breás, call-them-what-you-wills, going to Kerry matches - some you can watch scrounge for tickets for one match in the year - the final; others, like my cousin for example, would be genuine supporters who for one reason or another haven't got involved in a club but would be mad into the Kerry team and go to every match. A related point here is that you wouldn't really get someone who hadn't played GAA suddenly supporting a club; they'd support the county team.

Overall though, the vast majority of Kerry people going to the match would be on committee, coach, play or have played, or are kids of people involved in clubs. I suppose vis-a-vis LoI it's that hierarchical, progressive, visible link between club and county that's one of the strengths of the GAA and why the county teams are well supported.

What spawned the question though TheBoss? Could maybe be more helpful then.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I went to quite a few Mary's games when I was living there.
    Cahirciveen I assume? Take a wrong turn off the M50 and suddenly find yourself down there?
    Last edited by kingdom hoop; 04/09/2008 at 11:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    The discussion was really about fans start turning out for their county when they are playing in the All-Ireland, but when they are playing in the league, they do not come out as much and not even come out to see Club teams, like half the support for the county might not know who the players are or even know which club team they play for.

I was saying that if you support the county and then you must support a club team and at least know where the players are from and what they can give to the team and know what they are like as players etc.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    I support both local club and county. Have always been as involved and interested in GAA as soccer. Pitch is only two or three good kicks away (haven't tested) and clubhouse is my local pub, and the community in general would be much more into the local GAA team. I had my cruciate done more than a year ago (and have had the spin-off injury of laziness since) but I'd still be close to the team so would still very much support them and go to most matches. Hopefully will get back into it next year maybe.

In general in Kerry I'd say (following detailed statistical analysis) that 60% of the county would take a very close interest in the Kerry team, while maybe 30% would at this moment in time be highly involved in a club (drop-off is caused by people who used play for a club but didn't start coaching/join committee, but would still be kinda into GAA and would actively follow Kerry while taking more of a passive, don't-go-to-games interest in their club).

You definitely get a few hangers-on, sunshiners, lá breás, call-them-what-you-wills, going to Kerry matches - some you can watch scrounge for tickets for one match in the year - the final; others, like my cousin for example, would be genuine supporters who for one reason or another haven't got involved in a club but would be mad into the Kerry team and go to every match. A related point here is that you wouldn't really get someone who hadn't played GAA suddenly supporting a club; they'd support the county team.

Overall though, the vast majority of Kerry people going to the match would be on committee, coach, play or have played, or are kids of people involved in clubs. I suppose vis-a-vis LoI it's that hierarchical, progressive, visible link between club and county that's one of the strengths of the GAA and why the county teams are well supported.

What spawned the question though TheBoss? Could maybe be more helpful then.

Cahirciveen I assume? Take a wrong turn off the M50 and suddenly find yourself down there?
    very well said, hoop. I think that sums most if not all of it up really.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdom hoop View Post
    I support both local club and county...........
    Great post. Yes about the Sibhin. It was actually a voluntary move. Great laugh, albeit a bit bleak at times. You can certainly appreciate why Sheehan has such an accurate and strong kick from the ground! I played one Junior game with them, and left it at that. Hadn't played 3 years previously up to that. One of the young Islanders gave me a spanking and I broke 3 fingers. Left it at that. Best for all, all round!

What club is your own KH?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    I support the Kerry football team pasionately but I would prefer to see my club (Dr Crokes) win the county championship more than Kerry win the All Ireland (again).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I get a sense of pride and passion that is impossible to put into words when I pull on a Cobh jersey.
    I only play football with Cobh but I would consistently travel to see the club's intermediate hurlers (who would be our "signature team") play in the championship. I've gone to support Cobh in games at all levels all over Cork.
    I've never played or represented my county put I have no doubt that I would feel the same if not better.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    I support the Kerry football team pasionately but I would prefer to see my club (Dr Crokes) win the county championship more than Kerry win the All Ireland (again).
    What kind of slagging would a team called Crokes get down in Kerry?

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I follow both my Club and County team every chance i get, it would mean more do if my club team won as i have played with them since i was a kid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Coming from the city I've never really been involved in playing GAA(had stints at U-12 in the city here and U-13 when i lived in Mayo) but i go to most Galway matches in both codes, i'd follow any Galway club in the club championship then same way i would Galway since there representing the county, not sure how fellas from clubs support the Galway champions in the latter stages as i don't run in GAA circles!!
    There's the right way, the wrong way.... and the Max Power way!! :-D

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I like to take an interest in the counties GAA games , wouldnt really be bothered about the club

Middle of No Where, The Center of Everywhere.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I play a hurling and coach an underage team as well.
    Everyone needs something to believe in, I believe I'll have another beer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would keep an eye on the club scene in dublin. the perk for buying a Parnell Park season ticket is that you get in to all club matches in dublin for free.