Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: Norway v Republic of Ireland - pre-match

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Andy Reid is not injured. Here are Trap's comments on choosing Whelan over Reid.

While Trapattoni allowed that the Sunderland midfielder could yet play a part this evening, or in other games, his general comments seemed to indicate he favours a more physical and defensively-minded central combination.

“At the moment I have to try to put out a strong team and it’s not easy to suddenly change five or six players,” he said. “I’m looking for a team with character, with the right mentality and with good organisation on the pitch. We have enough offensive players like Robbie, Doyle, Duff and McGeady. The strong teams in the world, their midfield players are very, very strong. They can work, they can play, they can support the strikers, and we need those kinds of players in midfield. This is why I also think about Steven Reid.”

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    in oz at the minute. Is the match being shown anywhere on the internet? or will i have to listen to the radio broadcasts. thanks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bomb Landsdowne View Post
    in oz at the minute. Is the match being shown anywhere on the internet? or will i have to listen to the radio broadcasts. thanks
    Check www.myp2p.eu, they should have something
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    cheers

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...i-1459304.html

Andy Reid's omission - the first major talking point of Trapps tenure.

He obviously holds the view that nobody is bigger than the system. Right or wrong - we haven't seen a conviction or vision of how we should be playing in a while.
    Last edited by Wolfie; 20/08/2008 at 7:34 AM.
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Is it live on the telly tonight, Sky Sports or Sellotanta?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauro 76 View Post
    Is it live on the telly tonight, Sky Sports or Sellotanta?
    Its on setanta 1. Think the England game is on Setanta Ireland
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I am certain that the inclusion of Liam Miller is down to Liam Brady's involvement (he always went on and on about him as a pundit).

The possibility of Miller being picked ahead of Andy Reid in a competitive game almost makes me physically ill.
    Today's Indo:

"In a training match on Monday, he [Reid] was part of what is effectively the reserve side but was threading through passes with such regularity that, at one point, Liam Brady roared across the park: "Andy Reid, different class." "

Agree though - how can Miller, who can't touch Reid at sunderland, be deemed a better option. How many times must he disappoint before he's disgarded. In fairness to Trapp, he's only seen a it of him and has yet to see Reid. And, for the first time in a lon time, I'm happy to concede that he's likely to know best anyway, especially in the context of constructing a alanced team.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    I think we can survive without Andy Reid starting in our first two qualifiers, but if Trap hasn't figured out past that point that Reid is better than Miller, we're in serious trouble.

System or no system, Reid is better than Miller. In fact, I think Reid is actually better defensively than Miller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    It's on Setanta Sports 1, bizarrely the England game is on Setanta Ireland
    Very strange. Will it be online anywhere?
    'Fascists dress in black and go round telling people what to do, where as priests.....'

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    i thought sky had the rights to our friendly games. i know its on setanta, dosent look like there's any highlights on rte later either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Today's Indo:
    Agree though - how can Miller, who can't touch Reid at sunderland, be deemed a better option. How many times must he disappoint before he's disgarded. In fairness to Trapp, he's only seen a it of him and has yet to see Reid. .
    Yeah.. But are we comparing apples with apples in terms of the role Trapp wants Miller to perform in this case. Does he have player roles compartmentalised??

For me Reid isn't competing With Miller. He's competing with Keane, S. Ireland and to a lesser extent McGeady and Duff.

Doyle is competing with Keogh, Long

S Reid Carlsey O'Brien Miller Whelen all competing for the defensive midfeild etc etc

Don't get me wrong. I want Reid to start every time and don't rate miller either. Just trying to find sense in the decision. I would have dropped Duff and played Keane, Reid and McGeady as 3 behind Doyle.
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,912 Posts
    I can't think of one valid justification for selecting Miller over Reid.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,311 Posts
    It does seem that Trap is favoring the system of 6 defensive players (4 defenders + 2 defensive midfielders) and 4 attacking players (2 wingers + 2 strikers) over the personnel. There's no doubt in my mind that Andy Reid is a better player, and offers more, than Miller ever will. However, Trap has seen Miller play, and knows what he can do. Reid is still something of an anomaly for him.
    The puzzling question here for me is what influence (or lack of) is Brady having on affairs? He knows all about Reid, he (along with the rest of the country) pointed out his omission away to Slovakia was baffling, and yet Reid still remains on the bench. Even if he was to sit back in midfield, and play a defensive role, spraying the ball out to the wings, he would still be far more effective than Miller.
    Another question for me here is, if Stephen Ireland had agreed to return (yes, I know, traitor, lunatic, why does he play for Man City, blah, blah, blah) where would he fit into this system? He's not a winger, so the only other place he could play is behind a lone striker. If this is the system Trap is going to use, why is he spending so much effort on a player that wouldn't fit into it?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    244 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Another question for me here is, if Stephen Ireland had agreed to return (yes, I know, traitor, lunatic, why does he play for Man City, blah, blah, blah) where would he fit into this system? He's not a winger, so the only other place he could play is behind a lone striker. If this is the system Trap is going to use, why is he spending so much effort on a player that wouldn't fit into it?
    I think it's just an issue of having options.

On the face of it, he was our joint top-scorer in the last campaign, with an almost a goal a game ratio.

It would be insanity not to try and get him back into the fold.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    I think we can survive without Andy Reid starting in our first two qualifiers, but if Trap hasn't figured out past that point that Reid is better than Miller, we're in serious trouble.

System or no system, Reid is better than Miller. In fact, I think Reid is actually better defensively than Miller.
    Agreed. Reid is better in every department as a central midfielder than miller. I was once a fan of Miller and thought he'd make a very good player after he left United but he's just flattered to deceive time and time again.

Reid was the only player to shine consistently for us in the last campaign. I'm hoping to god that Trap comes to his senses after tonight and starts Reid for the qualifiers. If Reid is fit for them and doesn't start, it's an absolute disgrace.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I can't believe people are getting worked up over a team he has picked for a friendly! Trap has to get a system to stop the big teams in our group i.e Italy,Bulgaria and by looking at this formation it is a defendsive set-up. He can always change thing around at half-time. I am sure Trap knows what A.Reid can do as they have this new invention called video!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    It seems all of our fans are finally starting to realise how good a player Reid really is, pity Trap can't see it

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree with everyone else about Andy, he's class and works hard defensively too. I'd hate to see him on the wing or just off the front man though. We need him as a sitting midfielder who spreads the play. He was talking himself about how Steven could do the running and he'd do the playing

At least this is just a friendly... hopefully he learns how important Andy is from this experiment.

Just want to add as well that I think Miller is a decent and under-rated player. He did very well for Sunderland last year, often rated by the fans in their top 3 performers when he played. But I think he's still maturing and learning and is definately behind Andy. I'd have him ahead of Glen Whelan though.... maybe that's just cos I'm a Cork lad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Hopefully Reid comes on at half time for Miller and shows what he can do. Its a strange one alright but not going to lose the run of myself and condemn Il Trap yet.
    In Trap we trust

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast