Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Republic of Ireland V Serbia - Saturday, 24th May 2008 - Friendly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by antrimgreen View Post
    YAWN YAWN, change the record ffs. Has Keane not just had an excellent season?? Can't go all this bull surrounding dropping Keane.
    Read the post again now and do a bit of editting quick before you look silly

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    What club does Delaney play for?

Queen Park Rangers
    For all the latest League of Ireland news visit www.extratime.ie

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FarBeag View Post
    By who's account? Where did you hear this because I would be interested to read these comments if they exist? I will base how suitable he is to this position in the two upcoming matches.Until this i will continue to support him for the left back position.
    i support him myself but its a fact his been dodgy in the games could be nerves or whatever i hope he settles down and makes the no.3 jersey his own for afew years

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by micls View Post
    Read the post again now and do a bit of editting quick before you look silly
    Can't now you have quoted it

I would rather say sorry to the original poster, i read it too quick and the mist rose into my head/fingers. Sorry boovidge. My really feeling concerning the team is we have a real manager and it's great to relax and let him get on with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    Kiely

Kelly Dunne O'Shea Delaney

Hunt Garvan Rowlands Duff

Keane Keogh

I can't see McGeady playing from the start because of Celtic's game tomorrow. O'Shea is also a doubt because of the CL Final - not that he'd play/get tired but by the time he flies back it could be late Thursday/Friday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I think we should rest O'Shea (for a couple of seasons).
    Just broke my sh*t laughing in work
    We'll never die, we'll never die

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    would staunton come out of retirement to fill in at left back??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    I don't understand how some are suggesting McShane should start.

If he is not good enough to even warm the bench for Sunderland, then I'm sorry he is not good enough for Ireland (await stats for number of times he has been on bench!).
    I rate McShane and Dunne as our best partnership as said before. By a long way too. If we hadn't got Dunne then maybe I wouldn't even have McShane in the team. They compliment each other really well.

Serbia Squad...

Goalkeepers: Vladimir Stojković (Sporting Lisbon), Vladimir Dišljenković (Metalurg Donetsk), Damir Kahriman (Konyasport)

Defence: Antonio Rukavina (Borussia Dortmund), Pavle Ninkov (Crvena zvezda), Marjan Marković (Dinamo Kiev), Gojko Kačar (Herta Berlin), Branislav Ivanović (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidić (Manchester United), Slobodan Rajković (PSV Eindhoven), Ivica Dragutinović (Sevilla), Aleksandar Luković (Udinese)

Midfield: Dejan Stanković (Inter), Nenad Kovačević (Lens), Milan Smiljanić (Espanyol), Dejan Milovanović (Crvena zvezda), Saša Ilić (Salzburg), Zoran Tošić (Partizan), Zdravko Kuzmanović (Fiorentina), Stefan Babović (Nantes), Boško Janković (Palermo)

Strikers: Nikola Žigić (Valencia), Danko Lazović (PSV Eindhoven), Marko Pantelić (Herta Berlin), Milan Jovanović (Standard)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    I rate McShane and Dunne as our best partnership as said before. By a long way too. If we hadn't got Dunne then maybe I wouldn't even have McShane in the team. They compliment each other really well.

Serbia Squad...

Goalkeepers: Vladimir Stojković (Sporting Lisbon), Vladimir Dišljenković (Metalurg Donetsk), Damir Kahriman (Konyasport)

Defence: Antonio Rukavina (Borussia Dortmund), Pavle Ninkov (Crvena zvezda), Marjan Marković (Dinamo Kiev), Gojko Kačar (Herta Berlin), Branislav Ivanović (Chelsea), Nemanja Vidić (Manchester United), Slobodan Rajković (PSV Eindhoven), Ivica Dragutinović (Sevilla), Aleksandar Luković (Udinese)

Midfield: Dejan Stanković (Inter), Nenad Kovačević (Lens), Milan Smiljanić (Espanyol), Dejan Milovanović (Crvena zvezda), Saša Ilić (Salzburg), Zoran Tošić (Partizan), Zdravko Kuzmanović (Fiorentina), Stefan Babović (Nantes), Boško Janković (Palermo)

Strikers: Nikola Žigić (Valencia), Danko Lazović (PSV Eindhoven), Marko Pantelić (Herta Berlin), Milan Jovanović (Standard)
    Some good players in there, forgot that they had a few decent players. Zigic and Vidic really the only ones that would have sprung to mind.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Kiely

Kelly Dunne O’Shea* O’Dea/Delaney

Duff Garvan McPhail McGeady**

Keane Doyle

*McShane if O’Shea’s not available
    **Hunt if McGeady not available

-Kiely picks himself in goal due to the number of withdrawals in that position

-Kelly is also a shoe-in at RB after a consistent season but he has still to look convincing in an Irish shirt. Kevin Foley to get a run out around the 60min mark to see if he can offer anything in this position. Hopefully Finnan will be back to fill this role after the summer.

-Centre-back…..problem area. Dunne O’Shea best option at the moment with McShane filling in if O’Shea doesn’t play. I know it has been a season to forget for McShane but he has international experience and is still very young. Other options…..people touting for Alex Bruce don’t know what there talking about! I’ve watched numerous Ipswich games this season and he is no where near and never will be international class. O’Dea has to get regular 1st team experience before he’s considered and Delaney is never going to amount to anything but an average championship player. Hopefully O’Brien will be back sooner rather than later.

-Left-Back………another big problem position for Ireland. Realistically it will probably the enigmatic kilbane come Sept. Interesting to see how Delaney/O’Dea get on in this position. Please God Stephen O’Halloran will make a full recovery after his cartilage injury…..he looks a classy performer and would look like the long term left back if he can break into Villa’s 1st team.

-Wings……..Duff and McGeady. Hunt as an impact sub only….the man is headless and is totally over-hyped in the Irish media. He has been shown up badly by the more classier Premiership full backs (Evra, Clichy, Cole, etc). Hoolahan deserves a chance around the 60min mark.

-Midfield…….yet another problem position. Will look different come Sept with Carsley, Ireland(hopefully) and the 2 Reids to come back into the reckoning. I can’t believe people are clamouring for Rowlands and Potter. Rowlands is 30 in Feb and will no doubt be shifted at QPR this summer considering the money they now have, Potter has been transfer-listed by Wolves and it’s not as if there is a big queue vying for his signature. These two will not amount to anything. McPhail has had a good season but perhaps he has missed his ship. Im as big a fan as the next man but hes 29 in December and still yearns for the return to premiership football that he is highly unlikely to get. But because I’m an old sentimental at heart I’d throw the big man in there. Liam Miller is never going to amount to anything at this level either. He’s had ample opportunity and has not taken it and hes not getting any younger either. Let’s give Garvan a go. Also I’d like to see Whelan come on in the 2nd half. These two have undoubtedly the most potential out of all the central midfielders in the squad and look likely to be playing premiership football next season. From the evidence of the Portugese trip….it is unlikely that Garvan will get a go though……..what a shame.

-Doyle and Keane pick themselves with Keogh and Scannell hopefully getting in on the action. Long also has potential. But I hope big Daryl will be no more than the water carrier on the nite.

-Here’s to a bright new era of Irish football………..Come on Trap…..bring us out of out doldrums!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    Serbia Squad...

"Football is a game you play with your brain".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    I dont think delaney did too well in the portugese tournament acording to one newspaper, indo I think
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    45 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommy_c12000 View Post
    Kiely

Kelly Dunne O’Shea* O’Dea/Delaney

Duff Garvan McPhail McGeady**

Keane Doyle

*McShane if O’Shea’s not available
    **Hunt if McGeady not available

-Kiely picks himself in goal due to the number of withdrawals in that position

-Kelly is also a shoe-in at RB after a consistent season but he has still to look convincing in an Irish shirt. Kevin Foley to get a run out around the 60min mark to see if he can offer anything in this position. Hopefully Finnan will be back to fill this role after the summer.

-Centre-back…..problem area. Dunne O’Shea best option at the moment with McShane filling in if O’Shea doesn’t play. I know it has been a season to forget for McShane but he has international experience and is still very young. Other options…..people touting for Alex Bruce don’t know what there talking about! I’ve watched numerous Ipswich games this season and he is no where near and never will be international class. O’Dea has to get regular 1st team experience before he’s considered and Delaney is never going to amount to anything but an average championship player. Hopefully O’Brien will be back sooner rather than later.

-Left-Back………another big problem position for Ireland. Realistically it will probably the enigmatic kilbane come Sept. Interesting to see how Delaney/O’Dea get on in this position. Please God Stephen O’Halloran will make a full recovery after his cartilage injury…..he looks a classy performer and would look like the long term left back if he can break into Villa’s 1st team.

-Wings……..Duff and McGeady. Hunt as an impact sub only….the man is headless and is totally over-hyped in the Irish media. He has been shown up badly by the more classier Premiership full backs (Evra, Clichy, Cole, etc). Hoolahan deserves a chance around the 60min mark.

-Midfield…….yet another problem position. Will look different come Sept with Carsley, Ireland(hopefully) and the 2 Reids to come back into the reckoning. I can’t believe people are clamouring for Rowlands and Potter. Rowlands is 30 in Feb and will no doubt be shifted at QPR this summer considering the money they now have, Potter has been transfer-listed by Wolves and it’s not as if there is a big queue vying for his signature. These two will not amount to anything. McPhail has had a good season but perhaps he has missed his ship. Im as big a fan as the next man but hes 29 in December and still yearns for the return to premiership football that he is highly unlikely to get. But because I’m an old sentimental at heart I’d throw the big man in there. Liam Miller is never going to amount to anything at this level either. He’s had ample opportunity and has not taken it and hes not getting any younger either. Let’s give Garvan a go. Also I’d like to see Whelan come on in the 2nd half. These two have undoubtedly the most potential out of all the central midfielders in the squad and look likely to be playing premiership football next season. From the evidence of the Portugese trip….it is unlikely that Garvan will get a go though……..what a shame.

-Doyle and Keane pick themselves with Keogh and Scannell hopefully getting in on the action. Long also has potential. But I hope big Daryl will be no more than the water carrier on the nite.

-Here’s to a bright new era of Irish football………..Come on Trap…..bring us out of out doldrums!

Good post Tommy C. I think Liam Lawrence has to be mentioned too although he didn’t get included in the squad, he does have potential and in the premiership next season.
    "Now jump up there and stuff that son of a bitch in the basket, chief"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Yeah Pateen.........agree with that. Lawrence deserves a chance after the season hes had. May lack the natural pace to be a real top quality interational winger but certainly deserves a chance

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pateen View Post
    Good post Tommy C. I think Liam Lawrence has to be mentioned too although he didn’t get included in the squad, he does have potential and in the premiership next season.
    Agree with you on Tommy Cs post, very good & I'd be much happier withthat team. Also agree with you on Lawrence, who should be in there.

Only change I'd make is St Ledger over McShane. Where possible we should select players who are playing football.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    St Ledger has come along way from his "Big Ron Manager" days agreed. But I'm still not fully convinced by him. He's quick, decisive in the tackle, got a great positional sense, okay in the air and generally punches above his weight (a bit like McShane) but I still don't know if he has what it takes to make it in the premiership and ultimately at international level. At 23 he needs to move to a bigger club than Preston before he truly deserves a chance at international level. McShane is still only 22 and still has a lot to learn. But he does have international and premiership experience. Granted it has been a season to forget for the player.....I still see enough in him to give him another chance at this level.....his confidence is at an all time low and back-to-back international games allied with a solid pre-season could work wonders for him....u never know. I think Traps got this selection right but i'm disappointed with Miller in midfield. Gotta be Garvan/McPhail.

My ranking of current Irish centre halves
    1.Dunne 2.O'Shea 3. O'Brien (fingers crossed) 4.McShane 5.St. Ledger 6.O'Dea 7.Paddy McCarthy 8. Delaney 9.Bruce 10.Kilbane????

Let's contrast this list with: 1.McGrath 2.O'Leary 3.Moran 4 Lawrenson 5.Mick McCarthy 6.Staunton

Really shows how exposed we are if a couple of our centre backs pick up an injury

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,376 Posts
    How do you have McCarthy (who was in the running for Charlton's player of the season) ahead of O'Dea?
    Granted, O'Dea may finish a better player, but warming the bench for Celtic, is no comparison for actual competitive football
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    How do you have McCarthy (who was in the running for Charlton's player of the season) ahead of O'Dea?
    Granted, O'Dea may finish a better player, but warming the bench for Celtic, is no comparison for actual competitive football
    Point taken about O'Dea. To be honest I dint know where to place him on the list........trying to get the balance right between potential and those playing regular 1st team football is a difficult job. Ultimately O'Dea has more potential than McCarthy but if was going to throw sumone in at the deep end in a competitive match it would probably be McCarthy at the present time. Although we've seen how well O'Dea has done when thrown in at the deep end in the Champions League against Milan a couple of times with minimal 1st team experience

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Some good players in there, forgot that they had a few decent players. Zigic and Vidic really the only ones that would have sprung to mind.
    Stankovic aswell is one of the finest midfielders in Serie A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Anyone got a stream? The RealPlayer ones from MyP2P seem to all be full. I realize its early but you've got to get on early to get a spot sometimes
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast