Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Marc Wilson

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...rc-Wilson.html
    Hope he stays in the premiership and get some game time in midfield. Don't think he'll make it as a central defender, seems to get beaten too easily. Very hard to judge a player playing in that Portsmouth defence though. I've liked the look of him in front of the back four though.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Fulham look set to win the race for Portsmouth's £4m-rated defender Marc Wilson.
    Full story: Daily Mail
    If Roy Hodgson stays there that would be a good move for Marc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    On the Pompey - Villa broadcast they said that he said he prefers playing in the midfield.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    at fault for 1st goal 2day?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    http://www.101greatgoals.com/videodisplay/5398801/
    Pretty poor defending, early 90's Arsenal defending at first and then beaten too easily second time round. He's not a centre back.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wexford Delboy View Post
    at fault for 1st goal 2day?
    That might be a little harsh. He pushed up to try and put Carew offsides but Pompey's left back is a 17 year old making his first EPL start and he didn't and kept Carew onside. Wilson did get back though and Carew went around him and finished.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,339 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    That might be a little harsh. He pushed up to try and put Carew offsides but Pompey's left back is a 17 year old making his first EPL start and he didn't and kept Carew onside. Wilson did get back though and Carew went around him and finished.
    incidentally, that 17 year old, Sowah, is the first player to start a Premiership game, who was born after the Premiership was formed
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts

Thumbs down

Another McShane type of player to me!

Has a few good games in the Premiership and eveyone starts going overboard failing to see their limitations.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Except McShane hadn't played in the Premiership when everybody went overboard in their praise. Plus you haven't even made an argument - you just brought up McShane as if that has any relevance whatsoever.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by the doc View Post
    Another McShane type of player to me!

Has a few good games in the Premiership and eveyone starts going overboard failing to see their limitations.
    Wilson has proven himself more in the Premiership than ur hero St Ledger has
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Recent sledge form has me beginning to doubt him to be honest. Have read a lot that wilson is far more suited to the holding midfielder role tho so im not sure. Would be happier with bringing the josh/dunne partnership back to be honest, replace the full backs

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Recent sledge form has me beginning to doubt him to be honest. Have read a lot that wilson is far more suited to the holding midfielder role tho so im not sure. Would be happier with bringing the josh/dunne partnership back to be honest, replace the full backs
    The Saint has been carrying 3 injuries, knee, hip and hernia for months which have progressively got worse.

He played the games against Italy and France with these problems and did well, but as the season has gone on they have taken their toll, needs ops in the summer.

As for Wilson it's good to have players coming through, but in all honesty I'd prefer McShane to him.

At the end of the day we all have our opinions, it's good that we have good players and options in the squad now, which we will need throughout the Euro Championships.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    The Saint has been carrying 3 injuries, knee, hip and hernia for months which have progressively got worse.

He played the games against Italy and France with these problems and did well, but as the season has gone on they have taken their toll, needs ops in the summer.

As for Wilson it's good to have players coming through, but in all honesty I'd prefer McShane to him.

At the end of the day we all have our opinions, it's good that we have good players and options in the squad now, which we will need throughout the Euro Championships.
    Hello Sean!

Were 'Boro so quick to get rid of you because they knew you were carrying an injury? You talk a good game, but Dunne carried you in the games mentioned above. When Dunne wasn't by your side, you were exposed for the poor footballer you are. Wilson has played regularly with a Premiership club this season and deserves a chance to show if he is capable of playing on the international stage.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Hello Sean!

Were 'Boro so quick to get rid of you because they knew you were carrying an injury? You talk a good game, but Dunne carried you in the games mentioned above. When Dunne wasn't by your side, you were exposed for the poor footballer you are. Wilson has played regularly with a Premiership club this season and deserves a chance to show if he is capable of playing on the international stage.
    Oh dear! Are you really that thick? no one could carry anyone in such high profile games as Italy and France, every player had enough to do, doing their own jobs.

Watch the games again, thats if you watched them at all, judging by your comments!

I really do tire of such uneducated rubbish that you come up with on here, Mr Trappatoni, does not pick any players who can not play to his high standards and are also able to take note of the "leetle" details!

I will be at all the games, will you?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    369 Posts
    Oh dear! Are you really that thick? no one could carry anyone in such high profile games as Italy and France, every player had enough to do, doing their own jobs.

Watch the games again, thats if you watched them at all, judging by your comments!

I really do tire of such uneducated rubbish that you come up with on here, Mr Trappatoni, does not pick any players who can not play to his high standards and are also able to take note of the "leetle" details!

I will be at all the games, will you?
    Good defenders don't give the opposition so much space in their own box. What were you thinking in the Italy game? Did your ego get the better of you from scoring the goal than you thought your work was done for the night and you didn't need to mark up? Watch that goal again. You're just standing ball watching as the Italian attacker steps away, gets 5/6 yards of space on you in our own box, the ball breaks to him and you react when the ball has been put in the net.

And maybe if you didn't lead with your arse, the French wouldn't have gotten the goal in Dublin. Good defenders don't turn their backs on shots at goal.
    Last edited by ifk101; 19/04/2010 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I'm glad we've got Sledge in the fold. I'm not sure he's a top top level defender, but he's miles better than McShane. If he has Dunne on one side, and O'Shea on the other, he won't need to be a top level defender.

Wilson looks like a promising prospect, but not as a centre-half. I see him more as a defensive midfielder or possibly fullback.

Another benefit to having Sledge is that we have a capable footballer among our back four. For all their positive attributes, I wouldn't say Dunne or O'Shea are particularly brilliant with the ball at their feet.

Furthermore, St. Ledger's ability to score goals from set pieces cannot be underestimated. He has a great goalscoring record for a centre-half, and any time you can add more goals in the team, it's a bonus.

He has his flaws but I'm glad we have him.
    Eirebhoy's "We Love You" Chant. RIP:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7UfSbASyrQ

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    209 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Wilson looks like a promising prospect, but not as a centre-half. I see him more as a defensive midfielder or possibly fullback.
    I agree with this. He's a player that could fit well into Trapattoni's midfield, given his defensive qualities. I wonder where Trapattoni sees him playing?

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    Another benefit to having Sledge is that we have a capable footballer among our back four. For all their positive attributes, I wouldn't say Dunne or O'Shea are particularly brilliant with the ball at their feet.

Furthermore, St. Ledger's ability to score goals from set pieces cannot be underestimated. He has a great goalscoring record for a centre-half, and any time you can add more goals in the team, it's a bonus.

He has his flaws but I'm glad we have him.
    We do have a distinct lack of defensive riches at the minute, but with Shane Duffy declaring, we have a very good prospective centre-half. Still very young, but he's been earning rave reviews as a top defender and at 6'4" he's a monstrous player. Seems to score quite a few goals with his head too as well as hit penalties.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    West Ham entered the race for him today,
    but it looks like Stoke have agreed a fee.
    The deal rests on Lawrence and Kitson agreeing to join Pompey (can't see why they would)
    http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonl...ith.6499121.jp

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    In demand isn't he? Good to see.

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    It's Avram Grant at West Ham and obviously he knows Wilson very well from his time at Portsmouth.
    I think Wilson could turn out to be a real top quality player, he impressed me first time I seen him
    play I think he got 3 assists IIRC.
    It would be best if he went to West Ham as Lawrence would not be going the other way.

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast