462 Posts

Four Nations Tournament

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Sounds good. Would be a great way of determining just who the best nation is, and save us mindnumbing debates, such as the 'O'Neill Backs United Ireland' thread which is currently raging, uncontrolably next door!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Grand. Some nice, cheap away trips! And the possibility of seeing Darron Gibson scoring a thirty-yarder at Windsor Park! Oh, that'd make my decade.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I don't see the point of playing in this meaningless mini tournament . Honestly are going to be expected to fork up €50 or more for games against Wales / Scotland / N.Ire . Also I wonder what Trap will learn or how many players will show up for these games.

These are just glorified friendly games that will produce second rate games ,

On plus side if we win .. is it the same as a triple crown (another meaningless trophy)

Maybe Pat Fenlons U-23s would get more out of this or a mixture of B and U 23...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    This:
    games in each campaign to be played in the same country and moved between the nations on a rotational tournament-by-tournament basis.
    Followed by this:

Two matches will be played on each match-day, under the plans supported by each of the four national associations
    would make me wonder what stadia we would use? or would 2 games be played in Lansdowne on the same day?
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    cant see the point in having all the games in the one country. surely that would lead to low attendances. scot v wales in cp would hardly attract a big crowd

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I agree that it's quite pointless. There's not much can to be learned from these games. We'd be better off playing a variety of teams with different styles, however, at least it's a senior tournament that we have a chance of winning.

Predictions: Gibson gets the winner against Northern Ireland, McGeady gets the winner against Scotland and Rhys O'Jones gets the winner against Wales.
    My concerns are global. I reject absolutely revenge, aggression, and retaliation. The foundation of such a method, is love. I love you Sheriff Truman.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    cant see the point in having all the games in the one country. surely that would lead to low attendances. scot v wales in cp would hardly attract a big crowd
    Also it would be an ugly, ugly game.. Darren Fletcher marking Jason Koumas anyone?

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    http://www.fai.ie/start.php

Useful idea and something to look forward to when all 4 teams don't qualify for a championship. Otherwise, not of much relevance.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Reserves
    Punta Arenas, Puerto Montt & everywhere in between
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    37 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    would make me wonder what stadia we would use? or would 2 games be played in Lansdowne on the same day?
    Quote Originally Posted by jbyrne View Post
    well, 2 games in the same stadium on same day wud help with low attendances. the GAA do this regularly for low profile games.

Personally i wudn't be in favour of the idea of the tournament.
    "U've figured how to work the Google on the internet machine"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I have a feeling that Trap won't be in favour in such tournaments. If we are looking to progress I feel playing against the same teams all the time wont help us in preparation for qualification campaigns.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Its better than playing some of the meaningless friendlies we play now,there would be a bit of a compeditive edge to these games that would be a perfect place to blood new players or try new tactics.Its much better than playing a glamour friendly against a Brazil team for example that would be strolling around the pitch hardly getting out of second gear. Alot of players dont care about international friendlies anymore so something like this will be much more productive for us compared to end of season tours to the USA
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Its better than playing some of the meaningless friendlies we play now,there would be a bit of a compeditive edge to these games that would be a perfect place to blood new players or try new tactics.Its much better than playing a glamour friendly against a Brazil team for example that would be strolling around the pitch hardly getting out of second gear. Alot of players dont care about international friendlies anymore so something like this will be much more productive for us compared to end of season tours to the USA
    .....is the correct answer! Unsure about the idea of playing it in one country though but undoubtedly better then some of the crap friendlies we've seen in recent years that we've had to shell out for.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Ya 100% in agreement for reasons Razors outlined above.

The theory of 'learning against different opposition' is a good theory, but when most of your friendlies end up with with one or both teams (usually at least the away team in Dublin) just tapping about, not a whole lot is learned. If its a summer trip abroad - USA, eastern europe etc - you get a whole wad of sick notes and have no-hopers from league 1 and 2 getting called up.

This format gives us a decent chance of getting at least a half strength line-up on the park, greater prospects of decent game what with the local rivalry, and a few cheap close trips for international footie fans who might only get to 5 or 6 games a year in ordinary circumstances.

Thumbs up from me.
    The dude abides....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    I see the argument for more away friendlies, but I've really lost faith in them ever since our results after the Denmark friendly. They literally mean nothing.

As some have said, at least this will be a tournament we have a chance at winning.

I like the competitive edge this will bring to the equation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Damn that seems far away
    http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slu...ters&type=lgns

The good news is that would likely be when I could study abroad in Ireland, so a quick pop over to Scotland would be easy in February and/or March
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    It seems kind of degrading for our lads to have to play 3 woeful sides like this, it'd be more fitting if they treated it like Munster treat the Magners League and just throw out some Eircom league players for it.
    More attention seeking with comments like that
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Hope it is strangled at birth - the equivalent of two bald men fighting over a comb

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,327 Posts
    It seems kind of degrading for our lads to have to play 3 woeful sides like this, it'd be more fitting if they treated it like Munster treat the Magners League and just throw out some Eircom league players for it.
    If you really think that all 3 are "woeful" then it shows what you really know about international football
    Scotland are in the top 20 in world, and just beat France. Twice.
    The North are ranked higher than we are, and have a solid home record in recent qualifying series
    Wales do blow hot and cold, but they're a strong side at home
    Munster are second in the Magniers League at the moment, with a game in hand over Leinster. If they really treated it like you think they do, they'd be last from constantly playing their youth teams
    Would playing eircom League players in these games really be such a bad thing?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Ciaran, honestly, you are literally worth less than the piece of mud I wiped on my 'Welcome' mat as I came in through my front door about an hour ago.

Not only have you managed to insult Scotland, NI and our good selves with that post: but I doubt half the Irish members here would be too pleased either, since you've managed to stick in a nice little dig about the Eircom league too.

I'm neither for nor against this idea at the moment, I don't think it will be a roaring success without England (which pains me to say) but I think it's worth a try, just for one year at least.
    Last edited by Cymro; 11/04/2008 at 9:17 PM.
    "Life is like a hair on a toilet seat. Sooner or later you are bound to get pi$$ed off."

"In this league, a draw is sometimes as good as a win" - Steve Morison

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast