Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Joe O'Cearuill

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Both defences were awful for the goals that were conceded.
    Sorry, should have been more specific. Yeh, i only saw the cork goal and that was pretty poor but there were individuals on both sides who looked good, the Cork captain in part. looked good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Has joined Forest Green Rovers (Conference)
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Still too high for him. One of the worst players ever to play for Pats, never mind Ireland
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Call him up Trap!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    That giants stadium squad stan picked to "blood our future stars" is the gift that just keeps on giving for comedy.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Murfinator View Post
    That giants stadium squad stan picked to "blood our future stars" is the gift that just keeps on giving for comedy.
    Just some of the players that played on that tour.
    Alan Bennett, Alex Bruce, Stephen O’Halloran, Darren Potter, Daryl Murphy, Joe Gamble, Joe O’Cearuill, Stephen Gleeson, Joe Lapira, Peter Murphy, Alan O’Brien, Wayne Henderson

Terrible.....

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    What did Henderson do wrong? He was shaping up to be a decent goalkeeper until he did his back in. Potter's career stalled but he's still at the top end of League One and could easily play at a higher level, as can Gleeson. I'll give you Joe Lapira.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    As far as I can remember, some fringe players (Miller and Elliott for sure) missed that tour because they had weddings and holidays planned; something like 21 players withdrew. Ridiculous. Makes you grateful for Trapattoni laying down a marker and banishing players like Stokes for failing to turn up for end-of-season camps/friendlies without good reason.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    119 Posts
    He's right to, the fact that every senior player bar Kilbane and the then Reading trio withdrew tells you what players will do if given the chance. I think the big 4 were given time off but the rest weren't, I remember JOS was due to captain Ireland for the first time and refused. Stephen Ireland had some ridiculous excuse as well.
    We've still had some of that nonsense under trap from a few but far less to the extent it was happening with Stan.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    What did Henderson do wrong? He was shaping up to be a decent goalkeeper until he did his back in. Potter's career stalled but he's still at the top end of League One and could easily play at a higher level, as can Gleeson. I'll give you Joe Lapira.
    Forgot Henderson got injured. Potter playing at the top of league 1 isn't exactly setting the world the fire. Granted he is probably better than Green.
    I remember him starting against Denmark in a friendly we won 4-0 AWAY from home. Anyone remember why he faded into obscurity?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    MK Dons would do well in the Championship I think. I think his club career just fell off with Sheffield Wednesday's troubles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    I think they've been in the playoffs the last few years, maybe this season they'll make the grade.
    Good few Irish lads knocking around their squad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I think they've just been unlucky there were big clubs like the Sheffields, Norwich, Southampton, Huddersfield, etc. knocking around.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Just came across this article from 2014 http://www.balls.ie/football/republi...st-time/136075

Joe's claim to fame is that he is the last Arsenal player to play for Ireland. Shame when that club used to be such a hotbed of Irish players. Joe certainly has been though a fair few clubs since then and he is still only 28 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_O%27Cearuill

Have to go back a long way for an Irish Swansea City player !! I thought of Lee Trundle but that never came to anything.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    Have to go back a long way for an Irish Swansea City player !! I thought of Lee Trundle but that never came to anything.
    Was Thomas Butler there ?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,269 Posts
    Yes - but wasn't capped while at Swansea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    I thought of Lee Trundle but that never came to anything.
    Y'know I'm still disappointed by that. He was most certainly worth a go. The fact he retired at 39 and came back from a 4 month knee injury at 36 suggests he was a fit lad, even though he looked a bit podgy.

And when I read this I'm even more disappointed. Hell if we'd even just played him against the minnows or in friendlies he'd have increased the attendances.

http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co...ail/story.html

THIS week a story in the national press suggested I would have played for Ireland ahead of England — that’s completely right — and here’s why.
    The article in question was arguing that people from Liverpool don’t feel a particularly strong connection to the England football side.
    I think there might be something in that, but with me it was simply a case that the pull to Ireland was stronger.
    Like many people from Liverpool, my family had strong connections to the country.

My grandfather on my mum’s side lived in Inchicore just outside Dublin and I went over there many times to visit him when I was younger.
    I had lots of relatives over there, then my mum married a man from Dublin so even more members of my extended family were Irish.
    That strengthened by feeling with the nation even further.
    Liverpool has a very strong historic connection to Ireland as many people emigrated from one to the other a couple of generations ago.
    That is reflected in some of the people who have represented Ireland over the years. I’m thinking of people like John Aldridge and Jason McAteer.
    Obviously, I was never in the frame for an England call-up, and while there was talk of an Ireland chance once, it never materialised.
    But my attitude has nothing to do with what happened in my career. I decided I would rather represent Ireland than England long before I became a professional footballer.
    I’m not anti-England.
    If Ireland aren’t playing I always support them. But in a game between the two, I’d back the green shirts.
    And I’m not alone. Many people that grew up by me felt the same. Even if they didn’t have a strong link to another country, they wouldn’t be particularly passionate about the Three Lions.
    I’m sure it’s the same for a lot of supporters, but Liverpool and Everton fans I knew would always put their clubs ahead of the national side.
    If you ask people from Liverpool whether they’re English a lot would say ‘no, I’m Scouse’. They just don’t feel a strong attachment to the football team of the country.
    For them, England play at Wembley and so are more representative of London or southern England, an area they don’t really identify with.
    A little like Swansea and Cardiff, there is a feeling that the capital gets all the investment and people from Liverpool resent that a little bit.
    As I say, I want England to do well and I always hope they get good results.
    But if it comes down to a choice between the two, Ireland get my support every time.

19. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Interesting read. Yep, a very talented player but mostly at a lower level I think. Not sure if he played in the Premiership for Swansea.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,103 Posts
    Interesting read. Yep, a very talented player but mostly at a lower level I think. Not sure if he played in the Premiership for Swansea.
    No, the height of his career was his prolific years in L1 and L2 when he was touted for an Ireland call-up. I think everyone agreed that was only justified if he could replicate the goals somewhat at a higher level but he never did and went uncapped.

I think his appearances on Soccer AM and the showboating segment really helped his profile here too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIQz5l0xnGY

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast