147 26.68%
Page 57 of 212 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
Results 1,121 to 1,140 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Would tend to agree now at this stage the thread should be locked. I voted in the poll that I would have him back no prejudice but he really doesnt give a sh!t about Ireland that is now clear. I no longer check man city forums or sites to see fan remarks. He really is a little putz.
    I

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    80 Posts
    I don't think it should be locked , You've a thread going about a player that played for us over 50 years ago ,a player that played for us 20 years a player that has yet to play for us at senior level and all manner of threads about players that are playing in England who just happen to be Irish all on the front page so this forum isnt just about the Senior international squad members

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    How about closing this thread, opening another with a new poll with the same options to see if people's opinions have changed. I know mine have

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by amaccann View Post
    How about closing this thread, opening another with a new poll with the same options to see if people's opinions have changed. I know mine have
    THAT is a good idea. i doubt he'd enjoy the 70-odd percent Yes/Yes After Apology he does anymore. i've certainly soured on him and my frustration increases in direct correlation with his current excellent form. I don't know what option i'd pick anymore but still our midfield is crying out for a talent like his.
    zombie/thread killer..

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,713 Posts
    Can we have a "yes, after being tarred and feathered" option?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    Lads this is over now so why dont we all talk about a real prospect ...Kevin Nolan :P

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    can we have a no and tarred and feathered option?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    How about a "Yes, but only if he puts his wig back on"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    Lads this is over now so why dont we all talk about a real prospect ...Kevin Nolan :P
    Yes, how is his England career going?

At this stage both he and Stiffing Ireland can kiss my Blarney stones.

The only ones I can see talking sense to Ireland is someone like Robhihno....can't see any footballer from Brazil turning a chance down to play for their country or understanding that mentality.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,340 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scram View Post
    Yes, how is his England career going?

At this stage both he and Stiffing Ireland can kiss my Blarney stones.

The only ones I can see talking sense to Ireland is someone like Robhihno....can't see any footballer from Brazil turning a chance down to play for their country or understanding that mentality.
    you mean like Deco? Or Kevin Kuriyani (born in Brazil)? Or those 2 players that took Quatar passports for a truckload of money?
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Stephen The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland more like! Ghoul
    Last edited by michaelguineys; 10/10/2008 at 1:30 AM.
    low lie the fields of Bishopstown......

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Good piece by James Lawton in the indo today.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-1494917.html

Redemption realistic for exiled Ireland, but only on Trap's terms

By James Lawton

Friday October 10 2008

They are not exactly the Three Tenors -- not one of them has yet displayed the extrovert panache of the late Pavarotti when he invaded the football stages of Rome and Los Angeles -- but rarely can a trio of World Cup performers have sung so coherently and consistently from the same sheet of music.

Giovanni Trapattoni for Ireland, Fabio Capello for England and Italy's returning conqueror Marcello Lippi, have all, and in almost identical fashion, hammered home the same imperative.

It is the making a team, a unifying of purpose that already has shifted the balance between the requirement of special talent and the importance of accepting that one rule applies to all who care to wear the shirt of their country.

Stephen Ireland's reluctance to do this is no doubt a source of some sadness to Trapattoni, but then we don't need clairvoyance to imagine his reaction when reading the file of the talented 22-year-old from Cork.

It would have been roughly the same as his compatriot Capello when he first encountered an English dressing room inhabited by a group of superstars who had been pampered quite relentlessly in the years of Sven-Goran Eriksson and his hapless successor, Steve McClaren.

Superstar

This isn't to say Ireland is a superstar; merely the owner of talent which, if properly marshalled and motivated, might be of considerable service to a team not overburdened with blazing virtuosity.

Capello cleared out the agents and the bad habits, the sloppy discipline, the casual dress, the rarely idle mobile phones, and he told players like David Beckham and Michael Owen that playing for England was no longer a right but a privilege granted to those who might still have something viable to offer. Trapattoni's approach to Ireland may have been less abrasive, but the point can hardly have been missed by Ireland -- or anyone else harbouring doubts about his commitment to the cause.

If the player did have second thoughts, if he displayed some inclination to climb out of the appalling hole he dug for himself when his brief international career ended so ignominiously, well, redemption might be available. But on Trapattoni's terms; there would be no beseeching, nothing beyond the informal inquiry of his assistant Liam Brady.

With his point, made gently enough, that a team's tactics, and instincts, can be more easily controlled than its personnel, Trapattoni is merely underlining the classic point of so many who have led teams to success on the international stage. Before he returned to lead the Azzurri he guided, without notable help from blazing individual talent, to the World Cup crown two years ago, Lippi said, "So many make the mistake of believing that the big job is to assemble all the best players, but when you do this you often pay too high a price. The best players, of course, don't always make the best team."

If he saw it, the Lippi quote would have resonated in the mind of no-one more powerfully than Jack Charlton, the man who so relentlessly purged the cult of personality in Ireland's most successful spell in international football. Once he asked England's only World Cup-winning manager, Alf Ramsey, why it was he had chosen to place him among such silky talents as his brother Bobby and Bobby Moore. "It is, Jack, because I don't necessarily pick the best players. I pick the best team."

In the affair of Stephen Ireland, Trapattoni found a superb spokesman in Richard Dunne this week.

With fine economy, the Manchester City man spoke of the weariness he felt at constantly being asked about the possible return of a player who had, for his own reasons, quit the colours. Dunne didn't further muddy the water, he didn't speak of any disgust at the manner of Ireland's abdication, the lies that accompanied it, but he did raise the most pertinent point of all. What if Ireland built on their promising start in qualifying, what if they marched on South Africa 2010, what, quite, would the re-appearance of Stephen Ireland say to the foot soldiers who had made it happen?

It would declare that you could treat the whole process with contempt, you could luxuriate in the rewards and the celebrity of the Premiership without irksome diversions in places like Georgia and Cyprus, and then, if the mood took you, if a little career-enhancing glory might just be involved, you might just change your mind.

That Dunne should even touch on the possibility is maybe no small aria to the psychological change that Trapattoni may already have worked.

At the very least it suggests a change of emphasis, a certain fancying of possibilities under a man who, it appears, has laid down values that will not waver with every new gust of circumstance.

Stephen Ireland lied his way out of the Irish shirt. Whether or not he ever confronts the truth expressed this week by Dunne will, we have to believe, remain some way down Trapattoni's list of priorities. How could it be otherwise in any football man who knows how to make a team?

- James Lawton

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    A wee number for mr. manchester...

to the tune of "lord of the dance"

He said his granny was dead
    But he had a hair transplant instead
    He's not fit to wear the green
    He can f4ck back off to his wig machine

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    I know you were taking the **** there bwagner but in fairness to Nolan, he was asked to represent Ireland, he took it into consideration, but ultimately decided his heart wasn't in it and chose to pursue an International career with a country he actually feels afilliated to, regardless of how unlikely it would be for him to make the squad, never mind the team.

You have to respect that decision, he didn't take the easy option.

I'll tell you who we really need to talk about: Frank "Almost Irish" Queuedrue.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    49 Posts
    fck stephen ireland thats all i say.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Close the thread it's just repetition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Close the thread it's just repetition
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 13/10/2008 at 3:15 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Close the thread it's just repeition
    Obviously not
    Tact is for people who are not witty enough to be sarcastic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Don't close the thread, move it to World Football
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,916 Posts
    Worm, you are just repeating what I said 500 posts ago.