Results 3,081 to 3,100 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    876 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    It will be intereting to see how a sensitive lad like Stephen responds to such a public dressing down.

Will he spit the dummy or knuckle down and show that he is not one of these young guys acting flash without having done a whole lot in the game.

Genuinely, it will be intereting to see what occurs.
    You are dead right in this, his stock has fallen, the transfer to a less upwardly mobile side and an indifferent start to his time there are combining to round on him and we will know a lot more about him soon enough. Part of me wouldnt be all that bothered if this individual spiralled through the divisions as we have needed him badly in the middle over the last season or so, and his casual indifference to playing for us has left a very sour taste.

I think it reflects a hole in Houlliers game too though, this isnt the way to deal with this situation if he really wants this player to play for him. That 'if' just grew a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Stephen Ireland has been found out. He is now where near being the player some people think he is. He is decent going forward but he is not capable of playing in a four man midfield. He can't defend. Why Trap even spoke to him is beyond doubt because he certainly wouldn't fit into his midfield structure. Anyway Ireland has probably made enough money already to hang his boots up and live comfortable for the rest of his life. One thing is certain, and that is he won't have a long career.
    Always look on the bright side of life

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    find.

The Nani goal yesterday illustrates football's problem perfectly: the officials weren't up to it, the goalkeeper was too thick to adhere to the most basic of basic principles (play the whistle), the goalscorer hadn't a shred of basic integrity or sportsmanship (nor did the game expect him to have any), the opposing captain was allowed a private audience with the officals while they were consulting, possibly because of his fame / status, and nobody really believes it's all a symptom of anything wrong anyway.
    In what way were the Officials not up to it? As far as I am concerned the goalkeeper did not play the whistle. Basic rule of football. I didn't see the linesman flagging for handball. As for Dunphy being bang on about the crisis of authority, he spent most of the WC attacking the Officials (i.e. authority on the field). Is it any wonder that since Andy Gray and Sky and all pundits attack Officials after the decisions are played in slow motion, the players do likewise on the field.

Why are Irish supporters still taking about Stephen Ireland? I'd say he's not bothered about any criticism as he pockets his 100k a week.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy View Post
    Stephen Ireland has been found out. He is now where near being the player some people think he is. He is decent going forward but he is not capable of playing in a four man midfield. He can't defend. Why Trap even spoke to him is beyond doubt because he certainly wouldn't fit into his midfield structure. Anyway Ireland has probably made enough money already to hang his boots up and live comfortable for the rest of his life. One thing is certain, and that is he won't have a long career.
    It could well have been a ploy, a stick to hit with, our the last hand to draw as the excuse for if/when things didnt go right for him. Trap that is. Because Ireland cant defend and doesn't suit Traps style, at least traps ireland style anyway.....

But i think over 2 seasons Ireland has proven that he is a good player, for us and Man City.

Great post stutts, its good that you can find the time to write these posts, as they are always well structured, the the point and reach a good conclusion. The new found love for rugby ****es me off i remember going on about an Ireland v Wales game in the late 90s i think when it finished 6 -3 and no one had any interest then outside of Dublin/Limerick, but they have it spot on when it comes to discipline/refereeing/technology/player conduct on and off the field.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 01/11/2010 at 9:21 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

5. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Houllier slams Ireland.

Can't say I'm surprised.
    Bit a nothing article really, think Setanta are sensationalising (as always seems to happen with S Ireland) a fairly standard managerial comment which wouldn't have gotten have anywhere near the same level of attention if it wasn't for the player he's talking about. Imo Houllier doesn't 'slam Ireland' at all.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Never say never.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Never.
    Last edited by The Fly; 01/11/2010 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    Bit a nothing article really, think Setanta are sensationalising (as always seems to happen with S Ireland) a fairly standard managerial comment which wouldn't have gotten have anywhere near the same level of attention if it wasn't for the player he's talking about. Imo Houllier doesn't 'slam Ireland' at all.
    A public dressing down from a manager who's only been coaching him for a month is not 'standard managerial comment.'
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    A public dressing down from a manager who's only been coaching him for a month is not 'standard managerial comment.'
    and who had been picking him initially...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    In what way were the Officials not up to it? As far as I am concerned the goalkeeper did not play the whistle. Basic rule of football. I didn't see the linesman flagging for handball. As for Dunphy being bang on about the crisis of authority, he spent most of the WC attacking the Officials (i.e. authority on the field). Is it any wonder that since Andy Gray and Sky and all pundits attack Officials after the decisions are played in slow motion, the players do likewise on the field.

Why are Irish supporters still taking about Stephen Ireland? I'd say he's not bothered about any criticism as he pockets his 100k a week.
    The linesman should have flagged for handball (I thought he did, no?). The ref and linesman should have waved Ferdinand away.

Even if the ref was playing advantage, commonsense would have led to him blowing for handball anyway - as no advantage was accruing - and he could easily have communicated "play on" when asked by Gomes, rather than allowing confusion to reign.

As for Dunphy attacking referees - that's entirely consistent with his "crisis of authority" claim. Refereeing standards were generally poor, and players took advantage of it.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eaststand85 View Post
    Agreed. Surprised they did not refer to Ireland at least once as "the madcap midfielder"

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    As for Dunphy attacking referees - that's entirely consistent with his "crisis of authority" claim. Refereeing standards were generally poor, and players took advantage of it.
    In my experience, match officiating standards have improved greatly over the past decades, in particular with the many top competent international referees.
    The evidence points to players who have become more adept at cheating. Dealing with that problem is a different issue but I believe the refs are more than capable of dealing with that, if they get more support.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    In my experience, match officiating standards have improved greatly over the past decades, in particular with the many top competent international referees.
    The evidence points to players who have become more adept at cheating. Dealing with that problem is a different issue but I believe the refs are more than capable of dealing with that, if they get more support.
    Jayzus.... Somebody got a black strip and a whistle for his Birthday!!!
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

16. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The linesman should have flagged for handball (I thought he did, no?). The ref and linesman should have waved Ferdinand away.

Even if the ref was playing advantage, commonsense would have led to him blowing for handball anyway - as no advantage was accruing - and he could easily have communicated "play on" when asked by Gomes, rather than allowing confusion to reign.
    This isn't rugby though. The practice in football is that once you play on, advantage has accrued whether you use it wisely or not. Gomes ran around with the ball and assessed his options and then decided to take the one that wasn't available to him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    I don't know how we managed to have a decent chat on this spoofer's thread.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    This opinion comes from left field I suppose, but this could be the making of him. He is sitting on the bench, being criticised and not being loved by his manager. He can handle it two ways, continue to whinge and feel sorry for himself ( which he will probably do) or grow up, lose the attitude and become a better player and person for it. I would love to see him choose the second as then maybe we can all gain some respect for him and possibly even accept him back into an Irish team in the future. Never before would reality have entered his life as it has now.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Newcastle and West Ham monitoring the situation.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Houllier has higher standards; in Trap's terminology, SI's bottle is empty.

I'd say GH is none too happy with 1/2 of the team he has inherited.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    570 Posts
    That sentence would strike fear/doom in to the heart of many a player.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I'd take Noble or Nolan over him anyday (come to think of it, they're both just about as Irish as he is)
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here