Results 1,261 to 1,280 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    I think your analysis is pretty spot on, but it would be tragic if Ireland never played for us again. I spoke yesterday to a former senior employee at City who was involved in the post-grannygate aftermath. According to him, Ireland is simply too embarassed to return to international football. He has been slated by fans and media and there's just too much hastle and complication. Apparently Staunton and Sven met with him at City and both tried to persuade him to come back, but there has been little contact either from the FAI or Trapp in recent months.

I still think its too easy to say that he has brought this on himself and therefore its totally up to him to resolve him.I think he does want to play international football, but its just too difficult for him to plot a way back on his own.
    Thats bull in my opinion. Its clear that he is wanted back by the management and the fans in general. Look at the Roy Keane situation, he came back when a large portion of the Irish public did not want him back. Once he got over the first game back against Romania that was the end of it. Same would be the situation with SI, if he came back he might get a bit of stick in the first game but that would be it then.

I for one would never boo an Irish player and if he came back id be very happy to see him back, same would apply for Andy O'B.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Thats bull in my opinion. Its clear that he is wanted back by the management and the fans in general. Look at the Roy Keane situation, he came back when a large portion of the Irish public did not want him back. Once he got over the first game back against Romania that was the end of it. Same would be the situation with SI, if he came back he might get a bit of stick in the first game but that would be it then.

I for one would never boo an Irish player and if he came back id be very happy to see him back, same would apply for Andy O'B.
    Spot on Elroy. I wouldnt boo him either and he probably is fearing that kind of reception but you would really think that he would be back at this stage if thats his only worry. People would get over it very quickly. He obviously isnt the slightest bit interested unfortunately, and anyway Trapetoni probably wouldnt play the little baldo.
    I

International Prospect tricky_colour's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    You totally "went there"....
    No I watched it on tinternet.

http://sotube.blogspot.com/2008/11/s...-city-0-2.html
    Last edited by tricky_colour; 28/11/2008 at 1:03 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Whats up with everyone saying "spot on"?
    Anyway I really don't think he will be coming back, there is absolutely no evidence to indicate that he has any intention of coming back and the only reason some people believe that he can be coxed back is because they want to believe it, if he was English and had left the English team the way he left Ireland I doubt anyone here would be making excuses and looking to blame management or the FA for his carry on.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    As I mentioned before, I think he just feels like he wouldn't be welcomed... more by the fans than the team. As evidence I'd point to him mentioning that he still gets hate mail from Ireland to the training ground.

I believe that if he felt the fans wanted him back that he might come back... January is a time for a fresh start.

But he needs to feel wanted. Maybe a campaign of come on back Christmas cards to the training ground would win him over? How pro-active are people feeling?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Morbo View Post
    Whats up with everyone saying "spot on"?
    Anyway I really don't think he will be coming back, there is absolutely no evidence to indicate that he has any intention of coming back and the only reason some people believe that he can be coxed back is because they want to believe it, if he was English and had left the English team the way he left Ireland I doubt anyone here would be making excuses and looking to blame management or the FA for his carry on.
    Spot on Morbo, feckin spot on lad

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    As I mentioned before, I think he just feels like he wouldn't be welcomed... more by the fans than the team. As evidence I'd point to him mentioning that he still gets hate mail from Ireland to the training ground.

I believe that if he felt the fans wanted him back that he might come back... January is a time for a fresh start.

But he needs to feel wanted. Maybe a campaign of come on back Christmas cards to the training ground would win him over? How pro-active are people feeling?
    I'm up for it, and call me stupid but I think its the kind of thing that might just work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I'm up for it, and call me stupid but I think its the kind of thing that might just work.
    I don't know, I love my football and would be delighted if Ireland returned to the set up but I think that's desperation beyond belief. Even Roy Keane didn't get that kind of special treatment!! When he's man enough to realise that playing for his country is worth a couple of awkward minutes with his team mates and a few boo's from the stands then he'll come back, until then though I just hope he's being advised sensibly by those around him.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    does anyone else think he is spinning more lies? I mean who would be sad enough to send hate mail.

I'd say maybe one person, and that person should/is in a home. Seriouslly. I think this guy has an issue with deciphering between the truth and the not so true.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 28/11/2008 at 3:47 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BarelyLegal View Post
    I don't know, I love my football and would be delighted if Ireland returned to the set up but I think that's desperation beyond belief. Even Roy Keane didn't get that kind of special treatment!! When he's man enough to realise that playing for his country is worth a couple of awkward minutes with his team mates and a few boo's from the stands then he'll come back, until then though I just hope he's being advised sensibly by those around him.

I think this is a case where time is not a healer. The longer it goes on the more difficult it becomes for Ireland to find a way back. I dont know whether anyone is advising him. My Man City source told me that Dunne had "washed his hands" of Ireland. Apparently his father is the main influence over him, and apparently not a desperatley mature or constructive one. I still think that its Trapp and the FAI who should be making the positive moves, and providing Ireland with the support, guidance and reassurance that he seems to need. Its not a case of "special treatment", footballers are human beings and all of them need different approaches. Ireland is clearly "high maintenance", but he is also highly talented and it is the responsibility of management to motivate players, and that includes motivating them to turn up..

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    I think this is a case where time is not a healer. The longer it goes on the more difficult it becomes for Ireland to find a way back. I dont know whether anyone is advising him. My Man City source told me that Dunne had "washed his hands" of Ireland. Apparently his father is the main influence over him, and apparently not a desperatley mature or constructive one. I still think that its Trapp and the FAI who should be making the positive moves, and providing Ireland with the support, guidance and reassurance that he seems to need. Its not a case of "special treatment", footballers are human beings and all of them need different approaches. Ireland is clearly "high maintenance", but he is also highly talented and it is the responsibility of management to motivate players, and that includes motivating them to turn up..
    Ya that's a fair point, different players do need different approaches. It's a perfect opportunity for more talks to be held I think. We're sitting pretty in the group which would have to be a big incentive for Ireland himself, saying that there's still the majority of games to be played so it won't look totally like he's just coming back to get in on the World Cup act, there's a couple of months before the next match and with a new year on the way he might want to start off 2009 on a positive note and leave all the sh!t of the past couple of yrs behind him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    does anyone else think he is spinning more lies? I mean who would be sad enough to send hate mail.

I'd say maybe one person, and that person should/is in a home. Seriouslly. I think this guy has an issue with deciphering between the truth and the not so true.
    I would not be surprised at all, it only takes a few people out of millions, there are people who think Elvis is still alive you know, or that 911 was planned by the CIA etc....

Personally, as far as qualification goes I don't think it will make that much difference, we can certainly qualify without him, and we are not guaranteed qualification if he does come back.

Apart from anything else he should come back for his own sake, never mind the Ireland's (ROI) he is currently ranked 4th in the Actim index, he should not deny himself the chance to play on the world stage as those chances don't come along very often.

(others in the top 100 at the moment are Keane, McShane and O'Brien).

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post

In my experience, when people talk about themselves, they often bend
    the facts... or even break them.

On Stephen Ireland playing for Ireland (with a slight adjustment).
    "Yes he can... but no he won't."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    He's now selling his used boxers from that famous event last year. (proceeds going to charity)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/STEPHEN-IRELAN...:B:SRCH:GB:101

I've a scary feeling that you, Ciaran, will end up the highest bidder for those boxers and will tuck them away under your pillow so you can have a lovely sniff every night before drifting off to dream about the day you and Stevie will be together forever...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Does anyone else think, that Ciaran is Stephen Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    621 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    Does anyone else think, that Ciaran is Stephen Ireland

I have noticed a few time he has slipped and said 'I' instead of 'he' when referring to Stephen Ireland, I will post some links to the posts later.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts
    lyk ZOMG

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Nothing for definite yet but a positive development. IMO if he intends to make himself available in 2009 he needs to do it early in the year. Cant have him coming back into the squad say half way through the year if we're after getting good results in the games against Italy and Bulgaria etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Will he won't he for the last year I have been nothing but confused