Page 66 of 212 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116166 ... LastLast
Results 1,301 to 1,320 of 4233

Thread: Stephen Ireland

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Maybe he'd like to play keeper......Shay's a nice guy, I'm sure he'd be willing to step aside for Stephen.
    "Can I have a Kit-Kat, chunky?"

"you mean a big one"

"No a normal kit-kat you fat bitch"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    **** him. Convenient of him to say this when there isnt a game for another 2ish months so Irish football fans will get off his back. Until he steps foot on the football pitch he will be a Judas *****...and even then, there will always be an element of doubt about him and his commitment and every poor performance he will have for us will raise questions

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    when did the word priest become banned on this site?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by HammerNThongs View Post
    **** him. Convenient of him to say this when there isnt a game for another 2ish months so Irish football fans will get off his back. Until he steps foot on the football pitch he will be a Judas *****...and even then, there will always be an element of doubt about him and his commitment and every poor performance he will have for us will raise questions

Oh my dear lord

Lost in Giovanni Trappatoni's Tactics Board
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    132 Posts
    pathetic..will u grow up

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    No, Because what sort of signal does it send to the rest of the team, when a player who didnt want to show for his national team for the last 12 months or so, suddenly is available again and is immediately in the starting XI.

No doubt it would be great to have him back but look how hard man city are trying to work out a formation that suits attacking players...the likes of SI. As mentioned above, I think he would fit best in our team playing behind the striker, im not sure we really have the quality around him to play him in a midfield 4. Watch him for Man City, he often plays ahead of the strikers, we could not have him playing such a role for Ireland.
    I agree that his position is just off a striker but who would he start instead of? I don't think keane will be dropped and Keane and ireland just wouldn't work.

I think he would do very well playing behind Doyle and they would probably be a better partnership than Keane Doyle. IMO I'd pick him ahead of Keane if he comes back

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    when did the word priest become banned on this site?!

Ha!!! That one took a while.....
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    and even then, there will always be an element of doubt about him and his commitment and every poor performance he will have for us will raise questions
    This is a perfectly reasonable comment.

Are all those who are prepared to welcome him back, seriously suggesting that there is not a doubt about his commitment to his country?

"you mean a big one"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greenbod View Post
    This is a perfectly reasonable comment.

Are all those who are prepared to welcome him back, seriously suggesting that there is not a doubt about his commitment to his country?
    Judging by the posts above, apparently so.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    There will always be questions on his commitment until he comes back and proves his loyalty to the team...which can only happen over time.
    As for his best position,I watched him on Saturday and he was tracking back all the time making challenges. I think Trap could mould him to cover defensively as well as giving us the attacking option.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Commitment is a problem with the Irish team in general it doesn't begin and end with Ireland.

Carr and Finnan have sauntered in and out of the team for years, Andy O Brien doesn't care in the slightest any more. Alan Lee the same, Joey O Brien showed a clear lack of respect with his comments as well. Even look at Andy Reid who is one of our more commited players yet still doesnt care enough to happily fill the bench.

You dont have to look any further than the American trip and the sheer number of players who pulled out of that, O Shea even rejecting the chance to captain his country for a couple of days on a beach. You've got Kilbane, Doyle, S.Hunt, Given, Duff, Dunne and Keane giving a good level of commitment and thats about it.
    Against my better judgement, I tried to make some sense of this drivel...... I failed.

"you mean a big one"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kingdomkerry View Post
    Team vs Georgia?

..............Given
    Finnan Dunne O'Se Kilbane
    .........Reid Gibson
    ......Ireland Duff
    ..........Keane
    ..........Doyle

Subs
    McGeady
    McShane
    Whelan
    Would he be one of the Ard an Bhotair O'Sé's?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    No it's not, his position is centre mid. He's a box to box player so he travels a lot, everywhere from defensive mid to ahead of the strikers and even drifting out to the wings. What he needs is a creative license and someone beside him who'll cover for him when he goes wandering like Kompany does at City. He has far more presence now than he did last time he was in an Irish shirt so the prospect of a Carsley/Ireland midfield isn't as absurd as it once was.
    If Ireland was a magnificent box to box player Man City would not be 1 place off the relegation zone because they'd have a perfect balance of excellent players. Their problem is Kompany is playing a defensive role while Ireland and Elano are too attacking. They've no real all round central midfielder with Johnston out injured.

Maybe Ireland will grow into that role in the future but at the moment he's an attacking midfielder without question. It's not all about getting back and tackling. Tevez does that.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I've watched Ireland a lot lately and he really does look to be completely free to look for the ball wherever he sees fit. He hangs around the box or goes deep as he pleases.

He's a lovely player no doubt but I still struggle to see how we'd accomodate him. This isn't in the knowledge that Trap is very conservative - it's from looking at our options elsewhere and seeing that in the absence of a really ood ball winner we'd be lightweight and too easy to play through.

I think the most likely way we could use Ireland is in a 4-3-1-2 with a solid midfield 3 (probably without Duff and McGeady), or using the same shape as now with Ireland playing instead of McGeady.
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 15/12/2008 at 4:05 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    He has far more presence now than he did last time he was in an Irish shirt so the prospect of a Carsley/Ireland midfield isn't as absurd as it once was.
    I think he's a super player but I don't see how he has increased his "presence". I don't see Carsley / Ireland workin with lightweights like Duff & McGeady on the wings. That'd be 3 midgets out of 4 across the pitch and for all Carsley's tenacity there's nobody there who can win anything in the air.

As soon as Trap was appointed I thought he'd adopt 4-2-3-1. This hasn't been too far wrong - he does insist on 2 defensive midfielders and two very attacking wide players.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    He should be required to make a full public apology before he is taken back.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    862 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post
    Hes a footballer, not a politician. Hes a young fella whos made a few mistakes and was rightly critisied for it but come on its time to get over it
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 15/12/2008 at 5:50 PM.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holidaysong View Post

To who and for what exactly? As far as I am aware it is niether illegal or sinful to choose not to play international football for a period of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    85 Posts
    He shouldn't have turned his back on the team at a time when we aren't exactly flush with options. A simple apology to the fans who pay to travel around watching the team saying that he should have made himself available for selection would suffice.
    www.dundalkfc.com

Colin Scanlon - hero!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Commitment is a problem with the Irish team in general it doesn't begin and end with Ireland.

Carr and Finnan have sauntered in and out of the team for years, Andy O Brien doesn't care in the slightest any more. Alan Lee the same, Joey O Brien showed a clear lack of respect with his comments as well. Even look at Andy Reid who is one of our more commited players yet still doesnt care enough to happily fill the bench.

You dont have to look any further than the American trip and the sheer number of players who pulled out of that, O Shea even rejecting the chance to captain his country for a couple of days on a beach. You've got Kilbane, Doyle, S.Hunt, Given, Duff, Dunne and Keane giving a good level of commitment and thats about it.

Oh my god.....a new low.

Im far from Andy Reid biggest fan on this site, but when does he not care enough to sit on the bench. Besides I would prefer a player who wants to start than someone who is happy to sit on the bench. There is countless posts from you in the AR thread defending and praising him and now you come out with this!!!

Joey O'Brien has clarified his comments, and the same point re sitting on the bench applies.

Carr and Finnan "sauntered" in and out of the team??? Like when?? Bar injury both have always been available to us. Im not a great fan or Carr but have nothing but respect for Finnan, he was consistently played out of position for Ireland despite been one of the top right backs in europe.

Anyone who questions Shay, Kilbane, Robbie, Hunt, O'Shea etc commitment to the Irish jersey hasnt a clue about the Irish team or even football for that matter. The US trip was really an exercise to blood new youngsters and no one could ever question those guys performances for us in the qualifiers.