Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scotland Squad V Irish Squad

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Scotland Squad V Irish Squad

Scotland squad

Goalkeepers: Craig Gordon (Sunderland), David Marshall (Norwich City), Allan McGregor (Rangers)

Defenders: Graham Alexander (Preston North End), Russell Anderson (Sunderland), Gary Caldwell (Celtic), Alan Hutton (Rangers), Jay McEveley (Derby County), Stephen McManus (Celtic), Gary Naysmith (Sheffield United), David Weir (Rangers)

Midfielders: Scott Brown (Celtic), Barry Ferguson (Rangers), Darren Fletcher (Manchester United), Paul Hartley (Celtic), Lee McCulloch (Rangers), Stephen Pearson (Derby County), Barry Robson (Dundee United), Gary Teale (Derby County)

Forwards: Craig Beattie (West Bromwich Albion), Kris Boyd (Rangers), James McFadden (Everton), Shaun Maloney (Aston Villa), Kenny Miller (Celtic), Garry O'Connor (Birmingham City)

Goalkeepers:
    Nick Colgan - Barnsley
    Colin Doyle - Birmingham City
    Shay Given - Newcastle United
    Wayne Henderson - Preston North End

Defenders:
    Richard Dunne - Manchester City
    Steve Finnan - Liverpool
    Kevin Foley - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Stephen Kelly - Birmingham City
    Paul McShane - Sunderland
    John O’Shea - Manchester United

Midfielders:
    Lee Carsley - Everton
    Jonathon Douglas - Leeds United
    Darron Gibson - Manchester United
    Stephen Hunt - Reading
    Stephen Ireland - Manchester City
    Kevin Kilbane - Wigan Athletic
    Aiden McGeady - Celtic
    Alan O’Brien - Hibernian
    Darren Potter - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Andy Reid - Charlton Athletic

Forwards
    Kevin Doyle - Reading
    Robbie Keane - Tottenham Hotspur
    Andy Keogh - Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Shane Long - Reading
    Daryl Murphy - Sunderland

How do they compare?
    Last edited by NeilMcD; 28/08/2007 at 5:38 PM.
    In Trap we trust

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    When's the match?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    When's the match?
    ...and are they going use a Gah pitch for this 25 on 25 extravaganza?

...or is from one village pump to the next like in the good old days?
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post

How do they compare?
    Our squad looks a bit stronger but we have a far better selection of players available to us on paper. Stan's squad is weakened by injuries (Duff, S Reid, Carr, J O'Brien), unexplained omissions (Paddy Kenny, Owen Garvan, Morrison) and bizarre selections (A O'Brien, Nicky Colgan, J Douglas). I'm not sure the Scots are suffering as much from both injuries and their managers bizarre preference for rubbish players.

The sweatys are pants anyway.
    Last edited by youngirish; 28/08/2007 at 5:50 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    To be fair I think we are quite close, But we are just lacking something that they have ...spirit or maybe they have more lunatics thats command the line

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think our defence is much stronger than theirs. I think their midfield is better and we have stronger strikers.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Are you English.
    In Trap we trust

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I'd give them the edge on strikers (we have only 2 who I'd really trust to start in either of the next 2 games)
    We have the midfield
    They have defense (we have only 4 who I'd really trust to start)
    keepers is a draw as both sides only really have one good keeper (as Kenny is out)
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think a midfield of Ferguson, Fletcher. Hartley and Maloney/Brown is better than ours.

However our Defence of Finnan Dunne Mc Shane O Shea is better.

Doyle and Keane are class compared to theirs. They have a stronger squad in the forwards at the moment. probably.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NeilMcD View Post
    Are you English.
    Nope I'm from BallyBough pronounced 'The Bock' or Bally Bo as the Posh culchies call it who bought up all the houses in the area in recent years now that most of the gearbags have cleared out.

A full strength Irish midfield of A Reid, Carsley, S Reid and Duff is way better than anything the Scots can muster btw. Though with Duff and S Reid out we are suffering badly in that area at present.
    Last edited by youngirish; 28/08/2007 at 6:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Our squad looks a bit stronger but we have a far better selection of players available to us on paper. Stan's squad is weakened by injuries (Duff, S Reid, Carr, J O'Brien), unexplained omissions (Paddy Kenny, Owen Garvan, Morrison) and bizarre selections (A O'Brien, Nicky Colgan, J Douglas). I'm not sure the Scots are suffering as much from both injuries and their managers bizarre preference for rubbish players.

Why is Alan O'Briens selection "bizarre"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    I'd give them the edge on strikers (we have only 2 who I'd really trust to start in either of the next 2 games)
    We have the midfield
    They have defense (we have only 4 who I'd really trust to start)
    keepers is a draw as both sides only really have one good keeper (as Kenny is out)

You're smoking crack if you think they have better strikers than us. Keane and Doyle are top premiership strikers. None of theirs are in that class.

Craig Beattie was a failure at Celtic, who have a clutch of crap stikers at the moment.

Boyd hasnt been tested outside the SPL comfort zone (and going on the Anthony Stokes experience, you really cannot accurately judge SPL stikers untll they are!!)

McFadden is talented, but he's never made a breakthrough at Everton in terms of becoming a regular. He's injury prone as well.

Maloney's a left winger and at that is no better than McGeady or Hunt, and not nearly as good as Duffer.

Miller is a crap finisher. He runs around a lot but scores about once every 8 games. And given that he's played all his football (barring one premiership season) in sub-standard competitions such as the SPL and Championship, that record seems even more pathetic.

Gary O'Connor looks like he could be a decent player, but is completely unproven after wasting nearly 2 years of his career sitting on the bench in the Russian Premierleague. We'll have to reserve judgement on him until after this season at Birmingham.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    You're smoking crack if you think they have better strikers than us. Keane and Doyle are top premiership strikers. None of theirs are in that class.
    I agree with that 100%, but I'd take the rest of their strikers over any of the other 3 we have (besides maybe Beattie). If you haven't noticed none of Keogh Murphy or Long have ever scored more than 3 goals (I think combined, 1 for Murphy, 2 for Long) outside of the CCC, unless you count League 1 for Keogh. Doyle and Keane can't play 180 minutes in 4 days, by the end of the Czech game they'd be too burnt out to do anything

EDIT: I checked up on those stats, I was right, Long has scored 2 (Against Sheffield United, who were relegated and Wigan, who I believe made it out on the last day), Murphy has 1 which was against Tottenham (I believe it was a nice goal). Keogh has spent most of his career in League 1. Not great backup if you ask me, especially with who is available (Alan Lee, just to name one of the few that are possible, he at least has scored consistently, even if its not the EPL)
    Last edited by theworm2345; 28/08/2007 at 8:13 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    67 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post

Craig Beattie was a failure at Celtic, who have a clutch of crap stikers at the moment.

Boyd hasnt been tested outside the SPL comfort zone (and going on the Anthony Stokes experience, you really cannot accurately judge SPL stikers untll they are!!)

McFadden is talented, but he's never made a breakthrough at Everton in terms of becoming a regular. He's injury prone as well.

Maloney's a left winger and at that is no better than McGeady or Hunt, and not nearly as good as Duffer.

Miller is a crap finisher. He runs around a lot but scores about once every 8 games. And given that he's played all his football (barring one premiership season) in sub-standard competitions such as the SPL and Championship, that record seems even more pathetic.

Gary O'Connor looks like he could be a decent player, but is completely unproven after wasting nearly 2 years of his career sitting on the bench in the Russian Premierleague. We'll have to reserve judgement on him until after this season at Birmingham.

No he didn't

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    i'd take our squad. Furthermore, I think we have a better chance of qualifying.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibs4Ever View Post
    No he didn't
    What? only a year and a half was it??

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,677 Posts
    We've more talent, they've got more physical players. Ages ago I said that Scotland has something we don't: stature, both moral & physical. I think we're past the low ebb in terms of moral stature with some new players bringing a refreshing attitude to the fold but I think their more physical midfield is an asset to them.

We're lighter on experience but I think I'd prefer our squad 12 months from now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    mmmmm
    pick any team at random and compare to Ireland....
    whats the point?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,281 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Billsthoughts View Post
    mmmmm
    pick any team at random and compare to Ireland....
    whats the point?
    Similar clubs, similar points in qualification, but yeah, we really should be comparing our squad to Wales'
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Darren Fletcher possibly their best midfield player is often kept out of the United team by John O'Shea. That alone should tell you how good they are.

Is there a more despised central midfield partnership in International football than Darren Fletcher and Barry Ferguson? I hate the both of those players and it's nothing to do with Ferguson being Rangers captain. I just think both are desperate yet have somehow managed to carve out a career for themselves. Sickening.
    Last edited by youngirish; 29/08/2007 at 2:28 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast