Page 112 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1262102110111112113114122162212 ... LastLast
Results 2,221 to 2,240 of 5144

Thread: James McCarthy M Celtic b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Heard the interview and your correct on what you said above with the exception that Martinez did not mention anything about him not playing against Macedonia. He just said that James was focussing on his club football and would decide on his international position in the future. Trap should call him up for that game, if he refuses that call then its cause to be seriously worried. Otherwise Im happy to believe his agent, we have no reason to doubt his commitment.

Watched a good bit of the game, thought he played well, showed for the ball in midfield picking it up well from the defenders (something noticeably absent in our midfield). He was skinned for the cross for the goal if iirc.
    Ok apologies for this. I tuned into the interview mid-way through. However on the six o clock news and sport report on Today FM, just following that interview, it was clearly stated that McCarthy will not play against Macedonia.

When is that squad to be announced anyone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Longest thread ever on a player before they've even played a competitive senior international for us....?

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,328 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    When is that squad to be announced anyone?
    the game is the 26th March, so I'd expect it to be announced around the 14th
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Martinez always had a very tough time releasing Jason Scotland to play for Trinidad and Tobago when Scotland played under him at Swansea and Wigan as well. I think he may have had a hand in keeping Darren Pratley from playing for Jamaica too.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 12/02/2011 at 7:22 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rebelmusic View Post
    Again confirming he's playing for us :

"
    Whether the Daily Record story was true or not, it proved irrelevant as official clarification came last night as McCarthy’s agent and advisor George Gray appeared on Scottish radio, declaring that McCarthy was firmly an Irish player. “I have spoken to James and his family at great length this morning,” said Gray. “All he wants to do is concentrate on his football.
    “He plays for the Republic of Ireland and has done since he was 17. He’s looking forward to an illustrious career with them and wants this put to bed once and for all.
    “The FAI have been incredibly supportive towards James for a long time, so there is no way he will be jumping ship. He’s staying where he is.”
    Gray also spoke to the Sun, and reiterated McCarthy’s stance: “He is 100 per cent committed to playing for the Republic of Ireland and doesn’t know where this has come from.
    “He didn’t travel for the Carling Nations Cup because of a persistent ankle injury. It’s as simple as that.
    “There has been no discussion between James or anyone from Scotland. Until this week it wasn’t even an issue.
    “I have spoken to James and his family at great length this morning. All he wants to do is concentrate on his football.
    “He plays for the Republic of Ireland and has done since he was 17. He’s looking forward to an illustrious career with them and wants this put to bed once and for all.
    “The FAI have been incredibly supportive towards James for a long time, so there is no way he will be jumping ship. He’s staying where he is.”"
    That's the Greenscene piece from Friday.

As for the Martinez stuff - shut up you tool. Why would you want to bring back up the speculation about your player, as it'd interfere further with his club games, you'd have to imagine. Keeping it quiet and off the radar should be his main priority.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    That's the Greenscene piece from Friday.

As for the Martinez stuff - shut up you tool. Why would you want to bring back up the speculation about your player, as it'd interfere further with his club games, you'd have to imagine. Keeping it quiet and off the radar should be his main priority.
    Another theory might be that the constant headlines about McCarthy ( ie. constant a tug of war between two countries for his services) are keeping him in the news and could possibly increase Wigan's bargining capability should/when a bigger team comes enquiring about him in the summer. Should he continue to fulfill his potential, it won't be long before he moves on. This continuous speculation about his future arguably increases his profile and may contribute to boosting Wigan's potential profit.

Or maybe Martinez is just a tool.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    That's true Scooby, but you'd think the speculation would hinder his on-pitch ability. Staying up is more important than any possible profit they might make on one player.

Anyhow, this man is to blame for today's nonsense:
    https://twitter.com/#!/nathanmurf/st...79905147392000
    Just been talking to Roberto Martinez about James McCarthy, hopefully be on Today Fm in before 6 #irl
    Idiot.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,710 Posts
    I reckon Martinez is just giving a stock answer, the main jist of which is that for now his club career takes precedence and his international career can wait (and so too can any decisions, IF any needs to be made).

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post

Perhaps, but I think the Irish media have alot to answer on this matter this week. Constant questioning on the matter when we have had no real reason to doubt James' commitment. Even more so now that his agent has reaffirmed it. So why do they continue to ask the same question?!?

Of course Traps poor communication skills has added to the whole mess as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elroy View Post
    Perhaps, but I think the Irish media have alot to answer on this matter this week.
    Controversy sells newspapers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Here's a transcript of the Martinez interview from TodayFM.com:

Martinez: We always said that until the summer he's not going to think about international football and in that respect he's such a mature boy. Just try and see what he can do on the pitch. It's just a sign of a phenomenal footballer and whoever he's going to represent, whatever country he's going to represent, they're going to be a very fortunate nation.

Murphy: You say he's not going to make a decision until the summer. Is that something that might dog the club over the next few weeks? Because there's a huge amount of speculation in Ireland that he might turn his back on Ireland and play for Scotland. Would it not be better if it was just sorted out in the next couple of weeks?

Martinez: We're going to do what's best for James McCarthy and what's best for Wigan Athletic. We want to help James and make sure that everyone understands that he can not be forced into a decision. He is a player that gives his all when he represents a team and at the moment, in the last three months, it's been really really tough for him. He hasn't been able to enjoy his football and all he wants to do now is to get stronger, to get fit and enjoy every single minute that he's got on the pitch and the international issue is going to be a little bit further down the line and it's only fair that we respect James and help him. To represent a country has to be a feeling, to be a passion, and that's something that he has to find inside himself.

Murphy: So do you think there won't be a decision in the next few weeks, that he's not going to make up his mind until the summer, and he won't play for either country until the summer?

Martinez: I don't think so, no. I think it's something that goes down to the family, to the friends and himself. And I think it's very unfair now to a young man whose career has gone from strength to strength, only 20, to put him under that pressure. I think James wants to keep his place on the team, he wants to regenerate his body, he's had a few injuries and a few knocks and he's a young man that is still growing. International duty is going to be an exciting chapter of his career but it's something that we need to allow him some time to think about what's his real feeling about representing the right country.

Murphy: You speak very highly of him. Were you surprised that Giovanni Trapattoni was questioning his motivation during the week? And the motivation of young players in general?

Martinez: Well I don't know what's Mr. Trapattoni's version. I know James, I know the way he's been looking after his body. He's a role professional. He's someone that at only 20 has started 40 games in the Barclay's Premier League and he's been playing first team football since he was 15. I can guarantee that he's a gem of a human being but is a special footballer. He'll make the right decision.

Murphy: It'l be a brave decision to switch from Ireland to Scotland..

Martinez: Honestly, he doesn't think that way. At the moment he doesn't feel ready to make a decision on his international career. I think in the past he's only been focussed on getting himself back, getting himself fit and he's never had support from anyone else apart from Wigan Athletic and I think at the moment he wants to repay that feeling and we have to respect him.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Reading between the lines........."I don't want James to be playing any international football this season - we're in a fight to avoid relegation!"
    Last edited by The Fly; 12/02/2011 at 11:34 PM.

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    The sooner we all move on the better. I'd love Jamie to play for us and commit to Ireland but if heart isn't in it then good luck and farewell. I have no interest in a player, no matter how talented, being begged or bribed to play for my country.
    There is no such thing as a miracle cure, a free lunch or a humble opinion.

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    He needs to be called up for the Macedonia game and play in it. That really needs to happen.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    91 Posts
    If the interviewer was on the ball he would have mentioned the fact that McCarthy's agent has recently said that McCarthy is 100% commited to representing Ireland and would have asked which one (agent or Martinez) was wrong.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I wonder if there any bookmakers offering odds on this 'tug-of-war'?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Here's a transcript of the Martinez interview from TodayFM.com:

Martinez: We always said that until the summer he's not going to think about international football and in that respect he's such a mature boy. Just try and see what he can do on the pitch. It's just a sign of a phenomenal footballer and whoever he's going to represent, whatever country he's going to represent, they're going to be a very fortunate nation.

Murphy: You say he's not going to make a decision until the summer. Is that something that might dog the club over the next few weeks? Because there's a huge amount of speculation in Ireland that he might turn his back on Ireland and play for Scotland. Would it not be better if it was just sorted out in the next couple of weeks?

Martinez: We're going to do what's best for James McCarthy and what's best for Wigan Athletic. We want to help James and make sure that everyone understands that he can not be forced into a decision. He is a player that gives his all when he represents a team and at the moment, in the last three months, it's been really really tough for him. He hasn't been able to enjoy his football and all he wants to do now is to get stronger, to get fit and enjoy every single minute that he's got on the pitch and the international issue is going to be a little bit further down the line and it's only fair that we respect James and help him. To represent a country has to be a feeling, to be a passion, and that's something that he has to find inside himself.

Murphy: So do you think there won't be a decision in the next few weeks, that he's not going to make up his mind until the summer, and he won't play for either country until the summer?

Martinez: I don't think so, no. I think it's something that goes down to the family, to the friends and himself. And I think it's very unfair now to a young man whose career has gone from strength to strength, only 20, to put him under that pressure. I think James wants to keep his place on the team, he wants to regenerate his body, he's had a few injuries and a few knocks and he's a young man that is still growing. International duty is going to be an exciting chapter of his career but it's something that we need to allow him some time to think about what's his real feeling about representing the right country.

Murphy: You speak very highly of him. Were you surprised that Giovanni Trapattoni was questioning his motivation during the week? And the motivation of young players in general?

Martinez: Well I don't know what's Mr. Trapattoni's version. I know James, I know the way he's been looking after his body. He's a role professional. He's someone that at only 20 has started 40 games in the Barclay's Premier League and he's been playing first team football since he was 15. I can guarantee that he's a gem of a human being but is a special footballer. He'll make the right decision.

Murphy: It'l be a brave decision to switch from Ireland to Scotland..

Martinez: Honestly, he doesn't think that way. At the moment he doesn't feel ready to make a decision on his international career. I think in the past he's only been focussed on getting himself back, getting himself fit and he's never had support from anyone else apart from Wigan Athletic and I think at the moment he wants to repay that feeling and we have to respect him.
    I reckon Martinez just has the horn for our James!
    Last edited by Scooby Doo; 13/02/2011 at 12:28 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    Jaysus, sounds like Martinez has the horn for our James!
    You may be right - Roberto Martinez comments raise new hopes of Scots netting Roberto McCarthy

"Roberto" McCarthy?.....maybe he wants him to play for Spain.
    Last edited by The Fly; 13/02/2011 at 12:42 AM.

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    We don´t know anything about the other 4, and if it takes selling the idea of playing for Ireland to convince them, then I´m not interested or bothered. If you are, then so be it.
    I have never advocated the need to sell the idea of playing for Ireland, Geysir, to any player. Just commenting on Traps verbal shortcomings, well documemted ones and even admitted to by himself when he offered to basically shut up on the McCarthy isssue the other day. If he can lose us a guy like that, and he still might, who put up with God knows what abuse in Scotland in order to play for us, its not too far a stretch that he might not have best handled other dealings also.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I wonder if there any bookmakers offering odds on this 'tug-of-war'?
    I'd be very grateful if any of foot.ie's resident gamblers could find this out.