Page 110 of 258 FirstFirst ... 1060100108109110111112120160210 ... LastLast
Results 2,181 to 2,200 of 5154

Thread: James McCarthy M free agent b.1990

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    Be warned, they're normally quite snotty about foot.ie on here.
    Just curious, but why's that? Never visited the WSC forums, but the comments under many articles are generally drivel.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LFCSixty/Eighty View Post
    In the last 20 years I cannot remember Alex Ferguson making any such comments like this about players under him. Trap does it every interview.
    I don't think Ferguson's the example you're looking for - at least Paul Ince and Gordon Strachan probably wouldn't think so. And I doubt Dwight Yorke, Ruud Van Nistelrooy and the boot Fergie threw at Beckham's head would agree with you either. It being behind closed doors hardly makes it any better...

Also - has Ferguson actually never said "I don't see him as a midfielder' or 'he didn't have that many touches'?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    probably not about his own players and probably not after the non midfielder played a game in midfield against a top 4, scoring 2 goals.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Recovered from his ankle injury in time to face Liverpool tomorrow according to SSN.
    So, a British-born player who has always been committed to Ireland who is called up after not initially being in the squad hurts his foot (specifically the back of it), pulls out of the squad for a midweek friendly and there is confusion over why he pulled out with the manager, whose people skills are highly questionable, saying one thing and the player and his club manager saying another. He then plays (I'd assume) the next weekend. Going off history, is it fair for me to assume McCarthy will be slated and written off as arrogant for the next 8+ years?
    Last edited by theworm2345; 11/02/2011 at 4:30 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    probably not about his own players and probably not after the non midfielder played a game in midfield against a top 4, scoring 2 goals.
    Maybe, but then is the Ciaran Clark comment less one of 'bad PR' and just whether it's a badly formed opinion? Cos I've watched Clark a lot and agree - he ain't a midfielder.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    That also didnt come from Trap himself I feel, judging by his dealings with other players, which err on the harsh side
    Trap's form while manager at Italy, shows overwhelming readiness to overlook angry critical public outbursts by some of the benched players, and bring them back in to the team.
    It does make me wonder though, how many other 'inbetweener' players of dual eligibility might now be options for us, who arent, due to his ways.
    James O'Hara, Noble ..... tragic isn't it, to have missed out on this pair?
    Have you little else to wonder about, except the speculative imaginings about the impact from supposed actions of Trapattoni?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Maybe, but then is the Ciaran Clark comment less one of 'bad PR' and just whether it's a badly formed opinion? Cos I've watched Clark a lot and agree - he ain't a midfielder.
    i have only ever seen him play at the back (though i did see his goals from midfield).

I think the issue is one of Trap coming out with those comments without Clark ever having been called up to a squad and, thus, without Trap ever having seen him play in midfield. The game he scouted Clark playing in was when he played defender.
    I like high energy football. A little bit rock and roll. Many finishes instead of waiting for the perfect one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    So, a British-born player who has always been committed to Ireland who is called up after not initially being in the squad hurts his foot (specifically the back of it), pulls out of the squad for a midweek friendly and there is confusion over why he pulled out with the manager, whose people skills are highly questionable, saying one thing and the player and his club manager saying another. He then plays (I'd assume) the next weekend. Going off history, is it fair for me to assume McCarthy will be slated and written off as arrogant for the next 8+ years?
    Don: Hello James. It's Don Givens. Are you fit?
    James: Tae wi' do ah oo dae honor?
    Don: ....Hello?
    James: Bawface.

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    Don: Hello James. It's Don Givens. Are you fit?
    James: Tae wi' do ah oo dae honor?
    Don: ....Hello?
    James: Bawface.
    Haha. Like Don Givens would ring a player....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Just curious, but why's that? Never visited the WSC forums, but the comments under many articles are generally drivel.
    To be fair, it depends. Though if you went on their MB and said you came from here, you'd probably provoke that reaction, well at at least from some posters. The ball's in your court.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Wigan play Liverpool, Bolton, Man utd, Man City and Birmingham before we play Macedonia. There is going to be huge interest in these Wigan games just to see if McCarthy continues with his recent excellent good form. At the moment I would say his chances of starting against Macedonia are in the 5% range. If he excels (especially in the games against Liverpool, utd and city) then his chances of starting should jump up to around the 45% mark.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    I think he could play brilliantly and score in all of those games and still not even be close to a start.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    760 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    KK
    "and it was great to be picked in Mr Trapattoni’s initial squad, because I really want to carry on playing at international level.
    But if the coach doesn’t pick me to play now or in future squads, then so be it. I’m big enough to take it and I will just concentrate on my club football.”
    Every now and then, Kilbane reminds me why he's a legend.
    You can't spell failure without FAI

16. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    The phrase "good pro" has become a backhanded compliment in recent years but the man just typifies the professional attitude and commitment to his cause. I'd be sad to see him left out of the squad, if only because nobody could afford to slack off with him around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    414 Posts
    Should be on the staff the moment he retires.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

19. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    TRAP OUT KILBANE IN???

c

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Trap's form while manager at Italy, shows overwhelming readiness to overlook angry critical public outbursts by some of the benched players, and bring them back in to the team.

James O'Hara, Noble ..... tragic isn't it, to have missed out on this pair?
    Have you little else to wonder about, except the speculative imaginings about the impact from supposed actions of Trapattoni?
    Difference being those Italians didnt have a neighbouring country in their ear and the option of playing for that other country still very much alive.

I wasnt referring to either O'Hara or Noble and indeed have posted elsewhere my opposition to guys like this representing me in an Ireland shirt, as its clearly the second of two options for them. There are several others, I think as many as four were mentioned by Trap himself at one stage, who we are yet to see materialise.

All fair enough comments I feel, Geysir, your reaction has taken me aback a little, but as you enquire I do frequently turm my thoughts to other matters, some great, some small, and garner great enjoyment from these tangents of thought, and will continue to do so, God willing.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 12/02/2011 at 1:39 AM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    I think he could play brilliantly and score in all of those games and still not even be close to a start.
    His form over the last 18 months means he is already a no brainer to start againt Macedonia - when compared to the midfielders we currently send out in hopeless hope.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    Difference being those Italians didnt have a neighbouring country in their ear and the option of playing for that other country still very much alive.
    That might be a difference but it does not explain his managerial manner. He had plenty of alternative options in Italy to replacing a píssed off angry player for good, but instead he managed them fairly.

There are several others, I think as many as four were mentioned by Trap himself at one stage, who we are yet to see materialise.
    We don´t know anything about the other 4, and if it takes selling the idea of playing for Ireland to convince them, then I´m not interested or bothered. If you are, then so be it.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    My god some ppl never get off this site.