Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Irish Abroad 2007/2008

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Didn't realise Clive Clarke was still there
    I doubt if he'll be there on Sep 1st, but who knows...
    "A silent mouth is sweet to hear"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Man City have released their squad numbers for the season: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pa...&newsid=461915
    7 Stephen IRELAND
    22 Richard DUNNE
    35 Michael DALY
    40 Garry BREEN
    42 Karl MOORE
    46 Paul MARSHALL
    I don't see Daly, Breen, Moore or Marshall getting many games, but the fact that they've gotten squad numbers is encouraging from a progress point of view.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tetsujin1979 View Post
    Man City have released their squad numbers for the season: http://www.mcfc.co.uk/default.sps?pagegid={DBD12D53-8346-431D-A04F-5D0F8664DE80}&newsid=461915

I don't see Daly, Breen, Moore or Marshall getting many games, but the fact that they've gotten squad numbers is encouraging from a progress point of view.
    Daly most likely to get a nod this term
    http://pix.ie/widgets/generate/accou...000-F5F5FF.jpg

"It's time for the FAI to grow up." John O'Donoghue, Minister for Sport, RTE , Sunday 7 Nov 2004

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Latest on James Simmonds: http://www.kilburntimes.co.uk/conten...A53%3A05%3A540
    Left-sided midfielder James Simmonds, who has been on trial at Loftus Road during pre-season, may also feature at Ashton Gate as Rangers consider his future.

The 19-year-old former England youth international who came through Chelsea's youth team and ended last season on loan at Cardiff City, is available on a free transfer.

Gregory added: "He's going to continue with us over the next couple of weeks and then we'll get the opportunity of possibly taking him on full-time."
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    36 Posts
    villas team from bbc:no o halloran :O( :O( :O( but Bevan makes the cut

Aston Villa (from): Taylor, Bevan, Gardner, Cahill, Mellberg, Laursen, Bouma, Reo-Coker, Young, Petrov, Barry, Berger, Maloney, Osbourne, Carew, Agbonlahor, Moore, Harewood.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bwagner View Post
    villas team from bbc:no o halloran :O( :O( :O( but Bevan makes the cut

Aston Villa (from): Taylor, Bevan, Gardner, Cahill, Mellberg, Laursen, Bouma, Reo-Coker, Young, Petrov, Barry, Berger, Maloney, Osbourne, Carew, Agbonlahor, Moore, Harewood.
    Bevan made the cut because they've no backup for Taylor. When Carson arrives on loan, he'll be back in the reserves

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Bolton preview VS Newcastle: http://www.bwfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page...088654,00.html
    oey O'Brien is also set to miss out having returned to training in the summer after sitting all of last season with a knee injury. The Irish international is short of match fitness having not played in any of Wanderers pre-season matches.

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    646 Posts
    BBCs Championship Preview
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot..._1/default.stm

Barnsley v Coventry
    Leon Best, Kevin Thornton and Donovan Simmons all picked up injuries in pre-season and are rated as doubtful for the season opener.

Leicester v Blackpool
    Blackpool could be without Wes Hoolahan as they wait for a Fifa ruling on whether he is available to play.

Bristol City v QPR
    But fellow new arrivals Stephen Henderson, Michael McIndoe, Tamas Vasko, Lee Trundle and Marvin Elliott could all make their debuts.

Charlton v ScĂșnthorpe
    Charlton duo Luke Varney (ankle) and Matt Holland (Cartilage) miss the opener at home to Scunthorpe.

Southampton v Crystal Palace
    But with Claus Lundekvam injured, Pele joining West Brom and Darren Powell suspended, Chris Makin and Alan Bennett will play in the centre of defence.
    Crystal Palace trio Paul Ifill (hamstring), Mark Kennedy (groin) and Carl Fletcher (hamstring) are doubtful.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    From skysports.com:

Bolton full-back Joey O'Brien is closing on his comeback from injury after over a year out.

O'Brien missed all of the last campaign with a serious knee injury but is now nearly back to full fitness and ready to return to first-team action.

Sammy Lee is delighted to see the 21-year-old returning to the fold after a nightmare last 12 months on the sidelines.

"It is great to see Joey back after such a lengthy lay-off. It is like having a new signing," Lee said.

O'Brien is still lacking match practice and will not be involved in Bolton's Premier League opener against Newcastle on Saturday.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Gary Breen has been named Wolves' captain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,315 Posts
    Roy O'Donovan gets squad number 23 at sunderland: http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=12871
    I'll let the numerologists handle that one...

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    McShane, Stokes and Murphy start for sunderland. Interestingly Stokes looks like he will be played up top where he belongs!

Miller and Connolly on the bench.

Robbie Keane starts for Spurs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    McShane, Stokes and Murphy start for sunderland. Interestingly Stokes looks like he will be played up top where he belongs!

Miller and Connolly on the bench.

Robbie Keane starts for Spurs.
    Certainly doesn't look like he belongs so far, I watched South Park then fast-fowarded through most of what has happened so far so I'm likely not 100% correct, but it appears Sunderland can't really do much aside from 1 or 2 corners. Tottenham seem to be doing decently and I'd expect maybe Berbatov to get a head to a cross soon for the first goal of the season.
    EDIT: The TV feed died, I'm following it on Sunderland's live commentary, and Sunderland are playing better I guess
    Last edited by theworm2345; 11/08/2007 at 12:31 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    Certainly doesn't look like he belongs so far, I watched South Park then fast-fowarded through most of what has happened so far so I'm likely not 100% correct, but it appears Sunderland can't really do much aside from 1 or 2 corners. Tottenham seem to be doing decently and I'd expect maybe Berbatov to get a head to a cross soon for the first goal of the season.
    EDIT: The TV feed died, I'm following it on Sunderland's live commentary, and Sunderland are playing better I guess
    For me McShane was the best Irish player on show. He won loads of headers , kept Berbatov very quite and only made one mistake the whole game when Bent got in behind him but he did recover well to make a half clearance. Anyway Bent's pace got the better of many an experienced Premiership defender last season.

Stokes and Murphy looked a bit flat up front. It might be first game nerves or instructions from Keane but there was a few times when Stokes had the ball in an advanced position and instead of trying to pull off anything special he played the ball backwards. When Chopra came on for Stokes Murphy seemed to improve. Miller didn't do much in his 30-40 mins on the pitch apart from give the ball away cheaply and a poor free kick near the end of the game. Although he wasn't any worse than Yorke, who he replaced. It will be interesting to see which of the Irish players play against Birmingham. I reckon McShane for sure , Miller on the bench and if he's lucky Stokes might be given another punt on the right even though it's not his preferred position. However, if last season is anything to go by Keane likes to change it around up front even if a player has scored it doesn't mean they will start the next game. So maybe Connolly has a chance.

BTW if they are relying on Miller and Yorke in CMF there could yet be a future for Kav at Sunderland this season. He is a much better option than these two IMO, although not international class. What's the story with his injury or transfer talks?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    For me McShane was the best Irish player on show. He won loads of headers , kept Berbatov very quite and only made one mistake the whole game when Bent got in behind him but he did recover well to make a half clearance. Anyway Bent's pace got the better of many an experienced Premiership defender last season.

Stokes and Murphy looked a bit flat up front. It might be first game nerves or instructions from Keane but there was a few times when Stokes had the ball in an advanced position and instead of trying to pull off anything special he played the ball backwards. When Chopra came on for Stokes Murphy seemed to improve. Miller didn't do much in his 30-40 mins on the pitch apart from give the ball away cheaply and a poor free kick near the end of the game. Although he wasn't any worse than Yorke, who he replaced. It will be interesting to see which of the Irish players play against Birmingham. I reckon McShane for sure , Miller on the bench and if he's lucky Stokes might be given another punt on the right even though it's not his preferred position. However, if last season is anything to go by Keane likes to change it around up front even if a player has scored it doesn't mean they will start the next game. So maybe Connolly has a chance.

BTW if they are relying on Miller and Yorke in CMF there could yet be a future for Kav at Sunderland this season. He is a much better option than these two IMO, although not international class. What's the story with his injury or transfer talks?
    McShane was my man of the match, thought he just shaded it from nosworthy.

Your talking crap about miller, he was the one player on the pitch who showed a bit of invention during the game. Eventhough he gave the ball away a couple of times, Andy Gray praised him for being the only player who was looking to create something, always trying forward passes. It was his free kick that created the chance for Etuhu that should have been scored and his ball that set Wallace free to cross for the goal. Very good performance by Liamo as far as im concerned.

Yorke had a good first half, he more than held his own against the younger Spurs midfield. 60 mins is all you'll get outa Yorkie at his age, his substitution was no reflection on his performance IMO.

Stokes was crap, Murphy was better, but then again Berbatov, Keane, Bent and Defoe were were all ****e today aswell so it's a bit early to judge anyone yet. Edwards will be first choice on the right, cant see stokes playing there at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Didnt see game.

How was Stokes crap. What was he doing wrong or what was he not doing. Or is he just not up to it. Remember he is still only 19. Can he learn?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ofjames View Post
    McShane was my man of the match, thought he just shaded it from nosworthy.

Your talking crap about miller, he was the one player on the pitch who showed a bit of invention during the game. Eventhough he gave the ball away a couple of times, Andy Gray praised him for being the only player who was looking to create something, always trying forward passes. It was his free kick that created the chance for Etuhu that should have been scored and his ball that set Wallace free to cross for the goal. Very good performance by Liamo as far as im concerned.

Yorke had a good first half, he more than held his own against the younger Spurs midfield. 60 mins is all you'll get outa Yorkie at his age, his substitution was no reflection on his performance IMO.

Stokes was crap, Murphy was better, but then again Berbatov, Keane, Bent and Defoe were were all ****e today aswell so it's a bit early to judge anyone yet. Edwards will be first choice on the right, cant see stokes playing there at all.
    At least we agree on McShane and Stokes
    I won't deny that Miller put a lot of effort in but from what I saw he made a lot of wayward passes forward. Especially his free kick against the wall and that attempted header into the box that went 10 yards wide. I must admit that I was watching it on a poor resolution internet feed so maybe i missed some of his better moments when the commentator didn't mention his name but he must have had a wonderful game if Andy Gray says so

As for Stokes Stojkovic I wouldn't worry too much about him just yet. Sunderland played pretty cautiously throughout and he was probably under instructions from Keane not to try anything fancy as the main aim was to secure at least a point in their first game. As i said there was a few times when he was in possession where he hesitated too long and the move broke down as a result. This could be because usually in this situation he would run at the defence but wanted to look for other options because of the occasion. Hopefully he can learn to read the situation more quickly in future or has the balls to run with the ball. Time will tell if he has the skill to beat a good defence.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 11/08/2007 at 2:55 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Scorers:
    Alan Lee (Ipswich) (2 - 1 was a penalty)
    Clinton Morrison (Crystal Palace)
    Sean Thornton (Leyton Orient)
    Keith Andrews (MK Dons)
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stojkovic View Post
    Didnt see game.

How was Stokes crap. What was he doing wrong or what was he not doing. Or is he just not up to it. Remember he is still only 19. Can he learn?

He tried hard but not much of what he did came off. Murphy was winning headers all through the first half but stokes was sluggish reacting. Also, he kept getting himself offside. Just wasnt up to much all around. Hopefully keane persists with him up front, he's obviously better then he played today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    McShane was awesome today. If his first name was John and surname Terry Andy Gray would have devoted a whole hour post match analysis on the lad. He had Berbatov in his pocket.

Stokes and Murphy seemed a little nervous today and it was understandable but I'm sure they will do fine at this level.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Page 2 of 48 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast