Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ireland 1-0 Slovakia Post Match Thread

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    great result lads, were back in the mix of things, might have to book my tickets for the matches in september now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    match was on Sky sports 2 in the UK .. was a good overall performance..

All I care about is the 3 points as far as qualies round goes..

i cant remember the lads name.. came on for Doyle.. he looks a good find and full of running.. was unlucky not to have scored 2.. one was cleared off the line and the other was a header wide (but in his defence the ball was a little too high and behind him!!)
    www.fmformation.net FMFormation.net Admin Team
    Wexford Youth FC - International Supporters Club Member!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Chartons babies!!!

WICKLOW....WEXFORD.....WATERFORD.....CORK....TIPPE RARY....DONEGAL.....DUBLIN, no its not a GAA allstar selection, just counties represented in Croker tonight

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SUB of the day View Post
    WICKLOW....WEXFORD.....WATERFORD.....CORK....TIPPE RARY....DONEGAL.....DUBLIN, no its not a GAA allstar selection, just counties represented in Croker tonight
    obviously not a GAA Allstar selection us poor sods from wicklow have only had one Kevin O'Brien back in the late 80's / early 90's.

with the mcshane playing it was realistically the only way a wicklow man was going to get to play in croker lol

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Well done tonight, excellent result which gives you a decent chance of qualifying.

Difficult games coming up though you have the Czechs twice and the Germans plus away to us and Slovakia. And of course you have to play Cyprus again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Czechs once actually

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,629 Posts
    only got the czechs once, in czechland. Drew 1-1 in Lansdowne

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Delighted.

Duff was magnificient in the first half. Again he set up the goal.
    Doyle showed how to play the lone striker role, fantastic game.
    McGeady had a very poor game. He's a nervous wreck. I think the few friendlies in the summer will do him the world of good.

We're back in the hunt anyway.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Well that was surreal... good formation, correct substitutions, only two players playing out of position, beating someone seeded above us. not thing i've been used to.

carsley looks better under the kosh than when on top of the game, comes from playing for everton i'm sure

kilbane struggled in midfield - tried but couldn't get the hang of it.

thought the lads in studio were a little harsh on us. we didn't# drop deep, we defended and tried to play on the break and long probably shoulda put us two up - then its a different ball game obviously. but we did push out and defended very well and to be fair to both sides slovakia grabbed the reins at the start of the second half and were pretty good going forward til the box.

the dodgy penalty call was hilarious - mcshane's diving header from the ground...

alan quinn, nice cameo you sheffield united jobsworth!... ("prove me wrong kids, prove me wrong")

steven hunt is a already a cult hero, the new kilbane with a smidge more skill.

ireland is very skilful and excels in that "hole" role. i remember watching the world club cup final in 2005 liverpool vs sao paolo and they asked alan hansen what was the secret to playing in the whole like these continental types, his reply was surely the nadir of his career in commentary (mitigating factor: it was quite early in the morning) - "you have to be born to play that role" what the **** does that actually mean? either way, stephen ireland clearly was born to play their.

mcgeady a bit up and down, beat one guy then squandered the ball whereas duff would beat one guy, realise he was in a cul de sac and retain possesion (or just beat the second guy)

fair ****'s, all in all a good performance. still we shouldn't have to endure one torturous game before we get a good one... we've run out of absolute ****e to play til the last game (Wales, and even they won't be as bada again)
    Last edited by delabonnuchi; 28/03/2007 at 9:53 PM.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    A much better performance. I'm afraid McGeady played a little like I expected him to which is a real pity as he really is a wonderful player. A long way to go and some tough assignments but these two results will hopefully give the players some confidence. 2 clean sheets is also nice for a change.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soper View Post
    Czechs once actually
    Of course, my mistake!

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    A good result, its keeps interst in September trip alive....

Was in Oirish pub in South London veryfew bandwagon jumpers around..

I think Slovakia were ramped up a bit before the game, they few players
    playing a the top level...

Good games by Carsley,Dunne.McShane, Finnan save a lot of the ball
    at the back, it was like passing the hot potato...S Ireland was good in patches..

McGeady was dreadful did nothing right, needs to get his confidence sorted... Kilbane is still is a talentless runner..

Doyle showed how a cental striker should perform...

Duff was excellent in the first half..

As I thought in advance we are better off without Keane being the
    captain/central striker for the team, his histrionics put his teammates off
    would be better to keep him on the bench for the next match..
    Just bring Hunt in for McGeady...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts
    An improvement on the Wales game and against better opposition. We still need more a lot more improvement to be able to take what we need from our Central European away trips later on. At the least it keeps our interest in the campaign alive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    I don't think Kilbane was bad at all. Fair enough, his distribution is poor but his off the ball work was excellent. He played exactly the way I expected him to tbh.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Not a bad performance all told, although I only listened to first half on radio. To the Wicklow man earlier, a friend of mine in work from South Wicklow never tires of reminding us that he played in an all ireland winning club team in the 90s. We reckon he made it up though...(only joking PD)
    Who dares to speak of 98?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    People need to back off the team now and the manager. They havent qualified for anything yet, but they've earned respect, so lets have it please. A lot of people in that crowd tonight had very straight faces at the end.
    If you hadnt been so vicious previously, maybe you might have been able to enjoy the night to the full like some of us who supported the team through the tough times.

Good man Stan. Fair play. And well done to the team on 6 great points against the odds. Good team spirit.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Much better performance. We need to find a left back from somewhere Finnan is not the answer.Hunt was excellent again this evening and set up two very score able goals. BTW sorry to all of ye guys that wanted us to lose this evening.Hope ye have a good night crying into yer pints.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by craig7042 View Post

Good man Stan. Fair play. And well done to the team on 6 great points against the odds. Good team spirit.
    Hear hear.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craig7042 View Post
    People need to back off the team now and the manager. They havent qualified for anything yet, but they've earned respect, so lets have it please. A lot of people in that crowd tonight had very straight faces at the end.
    If you hadnt been so vicious previously, maybe you might have been able to enjoy the night to the full like some of us who supported the team through the tough times.

6 great points?I think we're getting a bit carried away, we beat a very poor Wales team and a built up under strenght Slovak team.The tough matches are all ahead, take San Marino out of it 7 points from five games hardley qualifcation standard.....And still playing players out of position, worring times

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I was really happy after the first half, that was the best team performance by far under Stan. We passed really well at times and Aido and Duffer were superb in the half also. The 2nd half was more about controlling the game and neutralising their attack, which in fairness was done brilliantly. The defence was Magnicent, showed passion, guts and willingness to play for the country, The Slovaks did not create any great chances throughout the whole game and this was probably their worst game so far.

Wonder if Ireland's style of play caused that, or was it an off night for the Slovaks, whatever, we won the game, got the 3 points and now lets hope for a Welsh victory in Cardiff on June 2nd v the Czech's, 2nd is our only option to qualify, forget catching Germany, its 2nd that is available

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast