Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh fans seem confident

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts

Welsh fans seem confident

I've been surfing some Welsh football fan forums (similiar to this one) and by and large they seem to be confident of pulling off a famous win away from home and keep their hopes of qualification alive. 2 nil away wins are not uncommon postings. Now I now its a 'home' forum and confidence is often OTT on these kind of things but it just got me wondering. I thought the Welsh would be happy settling for a point......

No offence to the Welsh side but other than Giggs and Bellamy (both quality players) am I missing something? Are we that bad? Do Wales have more strength in detail than I first thought? They seem to have lost their better defenders to injury and other than Simon Davies I can't see any depth. If the worst case scenario does happen this Saturday and we lose then Stan has to go. This is a must win game for Stan and I'm expecting his players to play for his job.
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    If i was a Welsh fan,looking at Irelands last few results and knowing who is managing the team,i'd be confident too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I'd say the cautious ones are fairly confident of getting a draw, and the over confident ones are confident of getting the win with a clean sheet. I certainly don't think they should be expecting to lose to us anyway. How could they fear us after watching a video of the San Marino fiasco?
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    I never thought I would hear myself saying this but Lee Carsley is going to be a very important player for us in this match.I actually fancy Robbie to do the biz for us this time, hes playing great stuff for Spurs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I'm confident the Welsh will win as well as Slovakia. Do I want them to? Of course not, but I do believe they will
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    hes playing great stuff for Spurs.
    He generally is on form with Spurs. Still not near as good for us though. Overvalued in the Irish squad imo.
    Life without Rovers, it makes no sense...it's a heartache...nothing but a fools game. S.R.F.C.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cheifo View Post
    I never thought I would hear myself saying this but Lee Carsley is going to be a very important player for us in this match.I actually fancy Robbie to do the biz for us this time, hes playing great stuff for Spurs.
    Wishful thinking? He's had great spells at club level in the past but never really done it for us, not sure this spell he's having is going to be any different.
    ONE CITY, ONE TEAM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    161 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker1982 View Post
    I've been surfing some Welsh football fan forums (similiar to this one) and by and large they seem to be confident of pulling off a famous win away from home and keep their hopes of qualification alive. 2 nil away wins are not uncommon postings. Now I now its a 'home' forum and confidence is often OTT on these kind of things but it just got me wondering. I thought the Welsh would be happy settling for a point......

No offence to the Welsh side but other than Giggs and Bellamy (both quality players) am I missing something? Are we that bad? Do Wales have more strength in detail than I first thought? They seem to have lost their better defenders to injury and other than Simon Davies I can't see any depth. If the worst case scenario does happen this Saturday and we lose then Stan has to go. This is a must win game for Stan and I'm expecting his players to play for his job.
    I agree about the no names in their squad. If we had a half decent manager I would expect us to beat them everytime. But we don't. And Wales can make it hard for teams like us who are unsure of what we are doing. This match will not come down to players skill levels but their attitudes. If Wales go a goal up then I feel it will be curtains time. A good manager with our squad would be able to cut off the supply to both Giggs and Bellamy. Stan again is embroiled with who should be in and who should be out of the squad. He and the players are under severe pressure. And though this helped us get a result and a performance against the Czechs I wouldn't bet on it this time. We are favourites this time. And yo yo performances are always by teams going nowhere fast.
    Last edited by Noelys Guitar; 19/03/2007 at 12:01 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Noelys Guitar View Post
    And yo yo performances are always by teams going nowhere fast.

IMO a very good point...I can can seeing us getting a moral victory against the Welsh and losing to Slovakia and Stan staying in the job...which would obviously no good for us....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sligoman View Post
    He generally is on form with Spurs.
    He's not really. He's rarely in form form for Spurs coming up to internationals.

reder
    Whats the welsh forum url?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    dragonsoccer.co.uk
    "If God had meant football to be played in the air, he'd have put grass in the sky." Brian Clough.

You'll NEVER beat the Irish.......you'll just draw with us instead!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Wales have some really bad players. They are poorly organised and have a poor manager. We have far better players but have Stan so no contest then Wales to win.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    He generally is on form with Spurs. Still not near as good for us though. Overvalued in the Irish squad imo.
    Sorry but I disagree completely, generally he has performed better for us than Spurs. As someone poitned out on another therad he tends to have a few good months every season and that's what's happenign now.

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    I checked out their team.

Apart from Giggs, Bellamy and a half decent youngster that is Bale the rest of their team is Championship & Serie B trash.

The fact that they fancy their chances just shows what terrible, unacceptable form we're on at the moment.
    We're lucky that some of their best players will be unavailable. Koumas is suspened, Earnshaw is injured, Gabbidon is injured.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Most of the people I speak to over here dont seem all that confident. They think that Wales SHOULD win but that whenever they should do something they find a way to mess it up
    Oh no not them again

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    I've been surfing some Welsh football fan forums (similiar to this one) and by and large they seem to be confident of pulling off a famous win away from home and keep their hopes of qualification alive. 2 nil away wins are not uncommon postings.
    I happen to agree with them. I think Wales will win with clear sky between them and us on the scoresheet. 0-2 ...0-3 even. And that's just Wales. Slovakia might very well DESTROY us.

If the worst case scenario does happen this Saturday and we lose then Stan has to go. This is a must win game for Stan and I'm expecting his players to play for his job.
    He should be gone already. I also believe this "playing for the manager" thing is overstated ...usually because Kilbane ran to the bench after scoring against Czech. Players are unlikely to show any public dissent or even passive lack of support as they'll know from sorry experience just how petty too many people in this game can be when it comes to grudge bearing.
    " I wish to God that someone would be able to block out the voices in my head for five minutes, the voices that scream, over and over again: "Why do they come to me to die?"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    by far and away our highest scorer in the current or indeed any Irish squad ever

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    35 Posts
    I think you are underestimating us a little bit. For the most part our squad has no big names, Giggs, Bellamy and Bale aside, but we have got a good manager who has achieved a lot in European football, and even down to our bare (and I mean really bare) bones we got a draw at Windsor Park last month which is not a bad result these days. In this campaign so far we've been pretty unlucky, should have drawn away to the Czechs. Slovakia wasn't as one-sided as the score suggested either.

I think even if you still had Kerr we'd be fancying our chances of a shock, but with Staunton many of our fans would have us as slight favourites.

reder
    Quote Originally Posted by Cymro View Post
    I think even if you still had Kerr we'd be fancying our chances of a shock, but with Staunton many of our fans would have us as slight favourites.
    Kerr was pox lad, the man thought Carr was better than Finnan. Stan is completely clueless though. Toshack is a far better bet as a manager, he has had plenty of experience and understands players and the game.

Watched you against the Czech's and you were robbed but that seems to happen to most teams that go there. Thought Slovakia were lethal up front against you, they were clinical in front of goal and am extremely worried about playing them.

PS: You gonna stick us for £34 (€50) when we visit you and stick us in the worst seats in the ground? I thought not. Let the world know about that during the game.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast