Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Maguire

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post

Wouldn't Maguire have had to go through this process the once already in switching from the FAI to the Dutch association after, in effect, temporarily declaring for us to play in an under-15 friendly? Unless under-15 friendly games aren't sanctioned by FIFA and he didn't need to officially register with the FAI or whatever in the first place?
    AFAIA, this is the case, he had not registered with us. He would not need to write a letter to FIFA to change assoc in order to be eligible for Holland.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    AFAIA, this is the case, he had not registered with us. He would not need to write a letter to FIFA to change assoc in order to be eligible for Holland.
    What age level would require registering with us, do you know? Or maybe it's just to play in anything other than a friendly? I've since been informed of James Wallace and Ger Kinsella, both of Everton, who played at under-16 level for Ireland despite not having the requisite connections to Ireland. Presumably they wouldn't have registered with the FAI either.
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 27/08/2010 at 3:45 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    208 Posts
    What age level would require registering with us, do you know? Or maybe it's just to play in anything other than a friendly? I've since been informed of James Wallace and Ger Kinsella, both of Everton, who played at under-16 level for Ireland despite not having the requisite connections to Ireland. Presumably they wouldn't have registered with the FAI either.
    Kinsella and Wallace both scored for us against the IFA U16, as did their former Everton teammate, Karl Sheppard (now of Galway United). I'm not exactly sure what the story is with Kinsella and Wallace, but I was led to believe that they were not eligible. I think it may have been a case of both of them having great-grandparents born in Ireland or something along those lines. Wallace has since played for England's U19s.

EDIT: It was here that I learned of their ineligibility: http://foot.ie/threads/113518-James-...=1#post1120792
    Last edited by Predator; 27/08/2010 at 5:04 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    It does appear that informal underage friendlies can be organised between associations.
    At a rough but reasonable guess, it would have to be a competitive underage game (not a friendly), for a young player to be regarded as declared for an association. Also, I doubt if there is an official declaration policy for young players selected to play for an underage competitve game. Competitive Qualifiers would fall under UEFA juridstiction/supervision - referees appointed etc - official UEFA protocols would have to be followed. One of those would be the list of players in the match squad and their passports be presented to the match officials before the game. That list would be forwarded to UEFA. In that way there is a full record of names/birthdates/passport nrs. of players who were in the match day squad. Then it would be regarded that the player has declared himself for an association. Once a paper trail exists, then the player is regarded as declared for an association.
    That's how I imagine it happens.

5. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Decent strike for his goal (the last one):

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    285 Posts
    He wants to play for us :

http://www.herald.ie/sport/soccer/du...n-2329641.html

DUTCH-BORN starlet Barry Maguire, the man who helped knock Celtic out of Europe last month, has said he's willing to answer Ireland's call and play for the Republic -- if the FAI can be bothered to get him on the phone.

Maguire plays for Dutch top-flight side Utrecht and has been playing first-team football for five seasons even though he's only 20, but he has a chequered career at international level.

The midfielder -- whose father, Martin, is from Dublin -- appeared for Ireland at U15 level but then opted to play for his native Holland, and has even lined out for the Dutch against Ireland for an underage international in Dublin.

A scorer for Utrecht against Celtic a few weeks ago, Maguire came close to a return to the Irish fold last year when he was named in an U21 squad by the Republic but he backed off and stayed with Holland, winning U19 and U20 caps.

But today Maguire has told the Herald that he's keen to wear the green shirt again, and as soon as possible.

"If Ireland rang me in the morning and asked me to come and play for them, I would say yes without a thought. I would like to play for the Irish team again but I have no contact at all from them," Maguire said.

"It's a while since I played for Ireland at any level, five years now I think, but I have said all along that I have strong connections with Ireland, through my dad, and Holland, as I was born there, but the connection with Ireland was always strong for me and now I'd like to play for Ireland.

"I am surprised that the FAI have not been in contact with me, especially as Wim Koevermans, who is Dutch, works with the FAI now.

"When I met the FAI last year I said that I was open to playing for Ireland or Holland. I did not rule out the idea of playing for Ireland again, I thought they would have tried to make contact with me but I have heard nothing in months. I can't just turn up and play for Ireland. I have to be named in their squad but hope they do that. I still watch the Irish team, I saw the game against Armenia last week and I'd love to see them qualify for the finals.

"And if they do call me, I'd be very happy to play for them again," added Maguire, who created headlines around this part of the world when he scored for Utrecht in their 4-0 win over Celtic last month which knocked the Bhoys out of Europe and sent Utrecht into the group stages of the Europa League where they face clubs like Liverpool and Napoli.

Born and bred in Holland, Maguire first came on the FAI's radar when his dad contacted the FAI and alerted them to Barry's availability, and he was named in the Republic's squad for an U16 game against Northern Ireland in April 2005.

Maguire played in that game but only as sub for the last 15 minutes, and his family later expressed their disappointment at the lack of game time given to the lad, given that he'd travelled so far to make his debut for Ireland, and that school and other duties would make it more difficult for the Dutch-born youngster to get involved with Ireland compared to home-based players.

That point is backed up by the fact that, of the 11 who started ahead of Maguire that day, not one has progressed to the senior Irish squad, only one (Notts County man Brendan Moloney) is currently involved at U21 level and most are not even playing senior football.

The case for Ireland pursuing Maguire became more relevant when he made his debut for second division side Den Bosch when he was just 16, but the waters at international level were muddied as Maguire opted to play for the Dutch -- including an U19 game against Ireland in Richmond Park in 2007 -- and a lack of communication between the FAI, Maguire and the player's family didn't help matters, the Maguires feeling that Barry had been snubbed with that short sub appearance in 2005 and again by a lack of contact.

Last year it was suggested that he was coming back to the fold when Ireland and Don Givens named him in an U21 squad for a game against Germany, but Maguire pulled out. "I was told at the time that, under FIFA rules, if I had played for Ireland in that game I could not then switch to Holland and I had not yet made up my mind fully. I wanted to be sure in what I was doing so I said I wanted to wait a bit longer before tying myself to Ireland," he says. "I met Wim Koevermans and (Givens) and told them that I was still open to playing for Ireland but I heard nothing more from Ireland."

The 20-year-old has been a key figure for Utrecht this season, playing in eight of their 10 games including five appearances (and one goal) in the Europa League.

"There was a good reaction to the game against Celtic, especially back in Ireland as a lot of my relatives were watching the game," he says. "I hope to play against Napoli next week and Liverpool at the end of the month, and I'd like to play for Ireland too."
    "We lost because we didn't win"- Ronaldo

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Is he good enough to make the squad? He should be called into the under-21s at least. If I'm not mistaken, he'd be tied to us once he switches association. I'm assuming he's aware of this.

On that, because I'm not wholly certain, is it the formalised declaration or request to play for another association that counts as "switching" under FIFA's rules or is it the playing in a competitive game at any level for the new association? I take it to be the former from my reading of article 18, but would appreciate confirmation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    interesting comments. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was truly waiting until his mind was fully made up.

Great news. Seems a very good prospect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Last year it was suggested that he was coming back to the fold when Ireland and Don Givens named him in an U21 squad for a game against Germany, but Maguire pulled out. "I was told at the time that, under FIFA rules, if I had played for Ireland in that game I could not then switch to Holland and I had not yet made up my mind fully.
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Maguire
    "I am surprised that the FAI have not been in contact with me."
    He's 'surprised'? Really?

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Maguire
    "If Ireland rang me in the morning and asked me to come and play for them, I would say yes without a thought."
    I'm delighted to hear he's fully made up his mind but considering how his last call-up panned out, maybe it's Barry rather than Ireland who should be picking up the phone.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    interesting comments. I will give him the benefit of the doubt that he was truly waiting until his mind was fully made up.
    It was mentioned earlier in the thread that he was nowhere near the Dutch squad now. Not sure how accurate that reflection of his current level of ability is, but possibly it helped him make up his mind and give up on any hopes of a future with Holland. To be cynical, of course.

In saying that, I wouldn't necessarily hold it against the guy. Possessing dual nationality is obviously going to create a dilemma for any player. If he'd accepted the last call-up from us, he would have had to commit to us for good, which might have been something he wasn't prepared to do just then for whatever reasons. He is Dutch-born after all, but, at the same time, is still an automatic Irish citizen through his father and was willing enough to come over and play for us at the age of 15. If he's willing to do the same now, I'll have no problem with it and would strongly be in favour of it if he can add to the team in some way.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    In saying that, I wouldn't necessarily hold it against the guy. Possessing dual nationality is obviously going to create a dilemma for any player.
    Absolutely. I wouldn't hold it against the guy at all. Especially at that age.

However, having been previously recognised with a call-up and declining on the basis that he had yet to make up his mind...surely the onus is now on him to inform the FAI/Ireland of his (apparent) decision.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    59 Posts
    Well even that article is him declaring to the FAI that he's available. As long as they hear about it!!

But yeah agreed, he shouldn't have an issue making one simple phonecall to the FAI HQ simply to declare for Ireland - which he pretty much is doing in that article

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    However, having been previously recognised with a call-up and declining on the basis that he had yet to make up his mind...surely the onus is now on him to inform the FAI/Ireland of his (apparent) decision.
    No disagreement there really, although what he's saying in the article is pretty much an invitation for the FAI get in contact. If the FAI were now to refuse to get in contact over something so petty as who should ring who first, in spite of being fully knowledgeable of Maguire's expressed intentions, I'd be extremely disappointed. Unless, of course, the FAI have a gentlemen's agreement in place with the KNVB.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Give the lad a go in the under 21's.

He may add the dutch eqivalent of "Je ne sais quoi ? (excuse my French) to Irish football.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post

Great news. Seems a very good prospect.
    Does he?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,650 Posts
    surely anyone playing first team football in a professional league at 16/17 years old has to be considered a good prospect, no?

plus he scored against the mighty Bhoys...
    Last edited by SkStu; 08/09/2010 at 7:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    Maguire was a first team regular at 17 for Den Bosch, he got man of the match on his debut. Den Bosch is same club van Nistelrooij made his professional debut for. He's a good prospect allright. Just hope he keeps developing himself at Utrecht.

I'm not suprised he wants to play for Ireland now...the KNVB havent included him in any of there under age squads lately

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Suggest someone here lets the FAI know, historically they are well behind the curve & will need a prompt.

Really bad form if we don't respond to this opportunity.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    I think the person you need to contact at the FAI is GCostello@fai.ie... but I'm sure they are well on top of this!
    "Dúirt mé leat go raibh mé breoite."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    199 Posts
    Is he good enough to make the squad?
    Surely he is a better option than Paul Green...

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast