Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Barry Maguire

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    I just sent the link to Wim Koevermans. Very happy to hear that Barry is eager to play for us. I think he could be a useful addition to the squad.

2. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Is he good enough to make the squad? He should be called into the under-21s at least. If I'm not mistaken, he'd be tied to us once he switches association. I'm assuming he's aware of this.

On that, because I'm not wholly certain, is it the formalised declaration or request to play for another association that counts as "switching" under FIFA's rules or is it the playing in a competitive game at any level for the new association? I take it to be the former from my reading of article 18, but would appreciate confirmation.
    As far as I know, you have to actually play a game, but unlike the first switch I think friendlies are enough tie the player. Bobby Zamora recently did the switch from England to Trinidad (couldn't play due to injury) and then finally made his England debut against, I think, Hungary. There are a handful of other instances.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JGKyne View Post
    Surely he is a better option than Paul Green...
    Yeah, if you think about it, Paul Green is playing at mid-table Championship level whilst Maguire will be lining out in the Europa League for Utrecht this season after dumping Celtic out in the qualifiers 4-2 on aggregate; Maguire even scoring an exceptionally well-struck goal along the way.

I caught a game between Ajax and Den Haag when I was in Amsterdam just under two years ago and Den Haag were truly abysmal, but by and large, the Eredivisie isn't the worst league in Europe. Utrecht's standard falls somewhere between the two. Admittedly, the top half is obviously were its strength lies and Utrecht finished 7th out of 18 last season, behind champions Twente, Ajax, PSV, Feyenoord, AK and Heracles. Den Haag, for example, finished in 15th. I suppose, if anything, this helps gauge the guy's level. There's no doubt it's a much stronger league overall than the SPL and we've had no qualms with calling up O'Dea and McGeady whilst at Celtic or even Stokes whilst at Hibs.

Plus, didn't we regularly call up David Connolly when he was languishing with what was pretty much Feyenoord's 'B' team, Excelsior, in the Eerste Divisie (the second tier of the Dutch football system) between 1999 and 2001. In fact, Connolly was playing in a World Cup a year after leaving them and joining Wimbledon. All in all, we should be looking to include Maguire in our next under-21 squad at the least so we can give him a proper look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by musicinmouth View Post
    I just sent the link to Wim Koevermans. Very happy to hear that Barry is eager to play for us. I think he could be a useful addition to the squad.
    Thanks MIM, that sort of initiative actually might get us somewhere with this situation. Wouldn't confidently rely on FAI to deal with this unprompted.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    368 Posts
    He's already declined an offer to play for the U21s so I think it's a bit rich of him expecting the FAI would keep contact when the ball was clearly in his court. He might say that he wants to play for us now, but it's obvious that that choice has been made for him as Holland are no longer interested. I wouldn't blame the FAI if they're not overly pushed about following up (again) on Maguire's come and get me hints. After all we have a number of very promising players coming through in his position. He'd be an addition to the U21 squad, nothing more than that.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Didn't Tardelli say something in an interview recently about going to watch a player in Holland??? Had to be Maguire he was reffering to...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_peepee View Post
    Didn't Tardelli say something in an interview recently about going to watch a player in Holland??? Had to be Maguire he was reffering to...
    it's mentioned on page 10 of the thread
    Quote Originally Posted by Scooby Doo View Post
    According to some Dutch friends of mine (and they know their football), Maguire won't get within an asses roar of the Dutch national team. One of them is an Utrecht fan and he seemed quite nonplussed when I mentioned Maguire.
    Also, in an interview in the last week or two in The Star, I remember reading a quote from Tardelli where he said he was going to watch a player in Holland. I'll post quote if I can dig it out.
    Cant think of anybody other than Maguire that this could be.
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    870 Posts
    Cant help but thinking that if the lad was english and had previously turned down a call up to the Irish squad then the reaction to him on here would be alot more negative.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

11. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    ...but he'd be a hero if he was from NI.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    But if he was Derry, he would be too big for his boots.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    http://greenscene.me/2010/09/spotlight-barry-maguire/

Just a small bit of detail about Maguires story for those that care

15. Thanks From:

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    163 Posts
    Great article, he basically says that he'd love to play for Ireland but the FAI haven't been in contact. Surely he'd be a better option, long-term anyway, than Paul Green?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    The long term as far as I'm concerned is 8th & 12th October 2010.

18. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    How can he say the FAI have not been in touch when also said he refused a call up?
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    He should have jumped when first invited. He had not an earthly chance of doing any better.
    Waiting for Trap to call you back from a self imposed exile, can be a lonely place.

The Green Scene article is based on an interview that the Herald printed 2 weeks ago.

Last year it was suggested that he was coming back to the fold when Ireland and Don Givens named him in an U21 squad for a game against Germany, but Maguire pulled out. "I was told at the time that, under FIFA rules, if I had played for Ireland in that game I could not then switch to Holland and I had not yet made up my mind fully. I wanted to be sure in what I was doing so I said I wanted to wait a bit longer before tying myself to Ireland," he says. "I met Wim Koevermans and (Givens) and told them that I was still open to playing for Ireland but I heard nothing more from Ireland."

21. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    He should have jumped when first invited. He had not an earthly chance of doing any better.
    Waiting for Trap to call you back from a self imposed exile, can be a lonely place.

The Green Scene article is based on an interview that the Herald printed 2 weeks ago.

Last year it was suggested that he was coming back to the fold when Ireland and Don Givens named him in an U21 squad for a game against Germany, but Maguire pulled out. "I was told at the time that, under FIFA rules, if I had played for Ireland in that game I could not then switch to Holland and I had not yet made up my mind fully. I wanted to be sure in what I was doing so I said I wanted to wait a bit longer before tying myself to Ireland," he says. "I met Wim Koevermans and (Givens) and told them that I was still open to playing for Ireland but I heard nothing more from Ireland."
    That's fair enough. You can see why he didn't want to tie himself to one thing. He'll never get a call-up for the Netherlands though, so we're obviously a better choice.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    I don't really understand what he was expecting to happen. He said he wanted time to mull over his options and the FAI gave it to him - they probably didn't contact him after that because they didn't want to ruin their chances by making him feel pestered. As far as I know, Paul Green just sent a letter to FAI HQ expressing his wish to be considered for selection. Maguire seems intelligent enough and I'm sure he's capable of writing a letter himself. Perhaps postage stamps are inhibitively expensive in the Netherlands.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Post offices in Holland (like most places) are a vanishing species. You can never find one when you finally remember that you have something to post.

Considering that the FAI have been inviting young lads to come to the underage squads for yonks, I´d imagine they do that duty with reasonable competence. McCaffrey came under some scrutiny here for his supposed lack of activity re Shane Duffy, but it turned out that McCaffrey said it as it was, he had the situation well sussed and there was nothing more for him to do.
    Young Barry has missed his turn. This was entirely his choice. It is not up to the FAI to badger a young lad who has made that choice to wait. I would be astounded if McCaffrey rang Shane Duffy's dad to find out the latest re Shane's reported indecisiveness. Indeed Maguire's account supports the notion that FAI do not badger kids after they decline an invitation.
    Barry will have to earn his way into the reckoning (Tardelli?) to be considered good enough for a call up. That is, if he has finally sent a signed letter to the FAI, stating clearly that he has now fully decided to make himself available for selection.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Is stating it in the media not as good as writing a letter? Writing a letter seems a bit like begging to me.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaFox View Post
    Is stating it in the media not as good as writing a letter? Writing a letter seems a bit like begging to me.
    Didn't Stephen Ireland try that one? That he'd apologised in general, and it was published and broadcast in the media, so he felt he'd made the necessary apology and put the ball back in the FAI court?

Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast