Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2007 Major League Baseball Season

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Aberdonian Stu View Post
    Christ Gagne is a walking disaster area. He's single-handedly dragging the Red Sox into a dogfight. Gave up a 2 run homer when 3-1 up in the 8th today at the Orioles so now it's 3-3.
    There's a reason the Dodgers let go of a player as good has him. No need for him either as Okajima and Delcarmen have been doing great all season. Also Gabbard was needed in the rotation.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Orioles won it 6-3, the Red Sox only lead the Yankees by four now.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    God damn the ****ing Cubs, take first place for a day just to blow the rest of the month and crush our dreams, we're going on 99 years now
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Orioles won it 6-3, the Red Sox only lead the Yankees by four now.
    It ended with a homer?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Your damn right Stu, Gagne has been far from impressive, after todays game he up'ed his ERA (not a good thing) to 15.45, shocking for one of your big time go to guys.

Hopefully he can turn it around cause it would be tough to listen to if the Yankees came back, from the 12.5 game lead at the all star break. Last year was tough but this would be a major kick in the balls. I live with 2 yankee *******s too

Kason Gabbard being traded for gagne could turn out to be a major mistake, the guy was pitching shut out baseball, think he went lsomething like 5-0 in Schillings absence. John Lester has pitched decently since his return from cancer. Wakefield continues to hold his own, but doesn't get the run support. Dice-K, bar a rough inning every now and then has been **** hot, again run support is a problem for him. Josh Beckect has been sensational. Curt Schilling has just returned and has looked promising in his first start.

The problem at the minute (apart from Gagne) is getting the men on base back to homeplate! Leaving alot of runners on base!

I'm confident we can hold off the resurgent Yankee's but the 6 games left against them will be very interesting.

When we get to the playoffs, i'd be pretty confident with a starting rotation of Beckett, Schilling, Dice-K and maybe John Lester. Wakefield could take this 4th spot if Lester begins to fade or show signs of experience. Wakefield is a gem to put back in the bullpen if you need some long relief innings, or throw him in just to keep batters guessin, his knuckleball is unreal. Fastball of something like 75mph.

If we can get to the playoffs and get a good solid 6/7 innings from the starters then a bullpen of Delcarmen, Timlin, Okajima and Papelbon is just what the doctor ordered. If we can get Gagne back on game then its even more impressive. Then we got Wakefield, Taverez and Snyder if any long relief is needed.

Soko, you'd wanna take another look at the majestic Pedroia again, he's been amazing this year!

Gagne, a big problem, hasn't done any impressive work yet, on friday night he gave up 4 runs in the bottom of the 8th with the Sox leading 5-1, a game they lost 6-5, and then this shambolic performance today

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    ended with a home run by former Sox Kevin Millar

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    It ended with a homer?
    Yeah, a walk-off three run homer in the 10th.
    Check out my new sports blog http://www.action81.com

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Christ Gagne is a walking disaster area. He's single-handedly dragging the Red Sox into a dogfight. Gave up a 2 run homer when 3-1 up in the 8th today at the Orioles so now it's 3-3.
    Looks like the Yanks won the trade battle for Gagne by losing it. Things are looking up for the Yanks at this moment with Phil Hughes and Joba Chamberlain emerging from the minors and pitching well. Chamberlain will be our main setup man from here out, I'm certain. Got to love a guy whose first name is pronounced Jabba Reminds me a lot of Papelbon on the mound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Burny I don't think Lester has been good since he came back- 6.43 ERA says it all. I'd much prefer to see Wakefield start, mainly due to his post season experience. Also I wouldn't want to see Tavarez anywhere near the mound.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah, i guess, his first start was good, but then seattle beat him up a bit last week, giving up 4 runs in 5 innings, but for a kid with such a long layoff behind him i'll give him a few more games! Over two games and having a bad start can exagerate the average

Tavarez did well kept us battling in games earlier in the season while waiting on the return of Lester. He faded badly tho, so i think he'd be a good shout for middle relief

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts
    Hmm. I note none of us noted that Hank Aaron's record (which to my mind is still intact) was considered broken last week.
    That question was less stupid, though you asked it in a profoundly stupid way.

Help me, Arthur Murphy, you're my only hope!

Quote Originally Posted by Dodge
    I bow to no one. bar Bluebeard and Mr A

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    how can it still be intact if BB has more homeruns

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Burny89 View Post
    how can it still be intact if BB has more homeruns

His supposed steroid enhanced homeruns prior to the introduction of drugtesting hasn't gone unnoticed this side of the atlantic either.
    As Irishmen we dilute our sense of nation by depending on the English to bring us our balls

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Steroid enhanced, no doubt! But the whole game was at that time. In my eyes Barry Bonds is being made a scapegoat for this whole fiasco.

has any stories been told that side of the world about how the milwaukee brewers shortened their outfield for Hank Aaron's last 2 years, so he could play in the smallest park in baseball and therefore add to his homerun totals and pass the Babe

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Although it is clear that Bonds took steroids I still think that he would have broken Hank Aaron's record without steroids. He should be remembered for what he has achieved.
    Last edited by DmanDmythDledge; 14/08/2007 at 1:04 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DmanDmythDledge View Post
    Although it is clear that Bonds took steroids I still think that he would have broken Hank Aaron's record with steroids. He should be remembered for what he has achieved.
    Presuming you meant he would've broken the record without steroids, you're wrong. Look at the increase in Bonds figures after 1998, when he start taking them.

Just finished readiong "Game of Shadows". Depressing stuff. Bonds won't get into the Hall of Fame (just like Mark McGwire didn't first time out). That should tell you everythign you need to know
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    John Lester pitched a great game tonight, his first game back at Fenway. Gagne even got in a pitched a clean inning and got the win

Lester went 7 innings only giving up 2 hits and a walk, Didn't get the win tho as kazmir as usual shut the Sox down. Great finish tho in the ninth, a Mike Lowell home run, a double by Varitek who then scored of a single from Coco Crisp for the walk off 2-1 win.

Also the Yankees got their asses handed to them with a 12-0 thrasing Wheres those big bats gone

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    The over reaction to Gagne here ia embarrassing. Who do you want pitching in the playoffs, Kason Gabbard or Eric Gagne? Thats not even a question

Gabbard got by while he was promoted and was traded at his peak. He's not over powering and doesn't have enough pitches to trust in October. Gagne is far more important than Kason Gabbard will ever be

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    wouldn't really say its an over reaction to say that Gagne has been shocking since he signed. He obviously has been (16.45 era) so its not really an over reaction. However your right I'd still have him over Gabbard heading into the playoffs, and it should turn out to be a good deal for the sox in the long run.

Alot of faith was placed in the succesful return of Schilling to the rotation tho, who has been solid so far. Again there's not many more pitchers you would pick ahead of Schilling in October

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    Presuming you meant he would've broken the record without steroids, you're wrong. Look at the increase in Bonds figures after 1998, when he start taking them.

Just finished readiong "Game of Shadows". Depressing stuff. Bonds won't get into the Hall of Fame (just like Mark McGwire didn't first time out). That should tell you everythign you need to know
    Didn't think it was as early as '98 looking at his figures. 2000 and 2001 it seems clear that he was on steroids but is it not at all possible that his other exceptionally good seasons were just down to being a great hitter?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast