Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicago

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    But thats changed. When I was there there was at least 4 people selling a fully stocked bar
    Was this bar fixed and had 4 people behind it or was it 4 people with 4 carts ? located at the entrances to the departure gates.

There are a lot of smaller airports with better/more facilities - (even Dublin Airport and that is saying something). It is not something i would normally notice but i remember thinking i wouldnt like to be stuck here for any length of time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    At least 4 people with those carts (didn't look beyond my section). I was just making the point that having a facy, kitted out bar would not have helped in anyway. Oh and Terminal 5 is tiny. easily the smallest I've ever been in
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Its the busiest airport in the world, but if you were flying Continental I wouldn't be suprised if it was small. You can get cheap flights to Shannon from Newark which you can go to from Midway Airport (Southwest side of Chicago) they have good food there. BTW, airports always suck, there is usually nothing to do and if you go to the bar you may get so wasted you miss your flight, if you go to sleep the same thing happens. The whole experience of flying sucks in general* (at least for me) I'm 6'3"-6'4" and my older brother and dad are both about the same (maybe 1/2 inch smaller). My mom and little sister usually sit together giving me the middle between my dad and brother (he is 1.5 years older, what can I do). On a 6 hour flight across the Atlantic when its 6PM-12PM for you and your getting in to Dublin at roughly 6AM their time so you can't sleep, you need to sleep on the flight and thats not easy to do in those cramped seats.

*Except the prices, $320 round trip to Ireland
    Last edited by theworm2345; 20/12/2006 at 3:32 AM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    51 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    acquarium, is full of ignorant black people....
    "Jacques Santini...will be greeted in every dugout of the country by "one-nil, one-nil" - Clive Tyldsley, 89th minute of France-England June 13, 2004.
    "Ooooohhhh Nooooooo" Bobby Robson 91st minute.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Chicago

Probobly going to Chicago for the summer on a j1. Anyone on here ever been? Opinions would be welcome...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    merged you in here Joema.

I thoroughly enjoyed myself. paul oshea adores the place
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    joema, i did my year internship in boston, and loved it, but it doesnt compare anything to chicago, in fact, personally, any city in america doesn't compare, I think especially for a J1er, as you will be going over to have the craic and nightlife. The nightlife really is second to none.

I liked the place so much I was trying to get a mate to do his internship over there next year so i could have an excuse to go back there. You'll love it. Nice places to stay are around wriggleyville or wicker park, wriggleyville is really good cos its near the cubs stadium and there are loads of bars there. Don't know the south that well really, but its a bit more a dive than most other areas I was in. Try and get somwhere near the red line north or west. I stayed in humboldt park the last time, and transport was a nightmare because taxis just never seemed to be anywhere near the place, plus there was no public transport!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Cheers for the info. Looks very good. Definitely going there now anyway (decided not just on the strength of paul o'sheas reccomendation though ) Looking at accommodation and it all looks decent enough and well afordable. Should be easy enough to get a job too as long as we show a bit of motivation. Cant wait for the summer now tbh! Any more info on the nightlife would be very much appreciated too!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    If you need any help feel free to ask me, I'm going to try and work at UPS this summer, apparently they pay well. I don't know much about the nightlife as I'm still just 17 but in the summer the bars around Wrigley are always interesting. My friend told me about a steelmill where you can make $120 a day untaxed though its a bit far away in East Chicago, Indiana (about an hour away) and another friend of mine can get you work there if you want.

Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea
    joema, i did my year internship in boston, and loved it, but it doesnt compare anything to chicago, in fact, personally, any city in america doesn't compare, I think especially for a J1er, as you will be going over to have the craic and nightlife. The nightlife really is second to none.
    any city in the world can't compare
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    My friend told me about a steelmill where you can make $120 a day untaxed though its a bit far away in East Chicago, Indiana (about an hour away)
    .......or Gary as its better known as!!! Absolute hole. Stay well away.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    I'm stopping off in Chicago on way to the West Coast in April for a weekend. Never actually spent much time in the city itself so looking to see if anyone has anything to add to the thread in terms of what to do or see (I'm flying through the AA terminal so the drinks carts in T5 aren't an issue ).

Managed to get a Westin hotel on the north side of the river for $160 per night and it says its 3 blocks from the Loop.

Any idea what the weather will be like at end April?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts
    If you can swing it, I would thoroughly recommend a game at Wrigley Field - I think the baseball season will have started by the end of April - great fun and they have a decent side. Do the Cubs rather than the Sox.

End of April should be pleasant enough.

I also did a Bulls and Blackhawks game this year - enjoyed the hockey - Bulls left me somewhat unimpressed.
    DB Cooper is alive !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OneRedArmy View Post
    I'm stopping off in Chicago on way to the West Coast in April for a weekend. Never actually spent much time in the city itself so looking to see if anyone has anything to add to the thread in terms of what to do or see (I'm flying through the AA terminal so the drinks carts in T5 aren't an issue ).

Managed to get a Westin hotel on the north side of the river for $160 per night and it says its 3 blocks from the Loop.

Any idea what the weather will be like at end April?
    Weather should be relatively nice, bring a sweater and you'll be fine. The Cubs will likely be around for a game here but Angus is right, the Blackhawks are the best team in Chicago right now (I'm going to the game tonight) and they may be in the playoffs at that point. Wrigley is a great place to go but I'll warn you now, they charge about $6 for a cup of beer. I think everyone comes to see the Bulls thinking they will see something like Michael Jordan but all they get is the horse**** that we call a team right now.

I'd recommend going to Second City, its a comedy place where people like John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Steve Carell, etc. all started out though many of the jokes are geared to Chicagoans. Maybe go the Sears Tower as well. If you like biking you can rent a bike and ride along the Lakefront which is pretty popular as well.
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Doubt if anyone will follow this up, but just in case...... one the most amazing nights of my life happened on a tuesday night this summer at the New Apartment, a bar deep in the south side of Chicago (75th Street); Von Freeman, a sax player - now in his 80s - but looking and sounding 40 years younger with an amazing band, and a queue of young hopefuls waiting to jam into the early hours - the bar itself looks straight out of a Hopper painting, 40s modernist and the crowd is dotted with people who you just know were the coolest thing ever about 50 years ago and have no intention of giving up.

You'd be advised to take a cab or drive and park close, but the bar itself is completely mixed (racially, genderwise, and age- wise) and very friendly. He does most tuesdays and it kicks off about 11 - we left after 1 but there were still people coming in; free in but a two- drink minimum.

(Chicago is amazing for music - and if you're used to paying €30 for a gig in the Village or Whelan's, you'll see the same calibre of band for $10 and you can stay out till the early hours - listings in the Chicago Reader or their edition of Time Out)
    A patriot is someone who knows how to hate his country properly.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Chicago is amazing for music - and if you're used to paying €30 for a gig in the Village or Whelan's, you'll see the same calibre of band for $10 and you can stay out till the early hours - listings in the Chicago Reader or their edition of Time Out
    its a great night out full stop!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    House of Blues is a great place to go as well for jazz and blues music. If your a fan of current stuff Lollapalooza is good as well
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Chicago - one of my favourite cities in the world. Worked there on a J1 a few years back. Had the time of my life.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Chicago - one of my favourite cities in the world. Worked there on a J1 a few years back. Had the time of my life.
    Where did you work?
    My Guarantee

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    hey worm, i worked for a furniture removal company wayyy outside the city for about a month, then i worked for Americas Dogs (hotdogs and burgers) in Navy Pier before moving to another stall in Navy Pier, Country Kitchen - where i made lemonade and popcorn and stuff for the fat masses!! lol.

Lived on Clark and Diversey, a great part of town. Very close to lakeshore drive. We actually lived in an apartment above a pub called The Galway Bay. Loads of Irish in that part of town.

Would love to live there for longer at some stage. Absolutely fantastic city. Great people.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    hey worm, i worked for a furniture removal company wayyy outside the city for about a month, then i worked for Americas Dogs (hotdogs and burgers) in Navy Pier before moving to another stall in Navy Pier, Country Kitchen - where i made lemonade and popcorn and stuff for the fat masses!! lol.

Lived on Clark and Diversey, a great part of town. Very close to lakeshore drive. We actually lived in an apartment above a pub called The Galway Bay. Loads of Irish in that part of town.

Would love to live there for longer at some stage. Absolutely fantastic city. Great people.
    Ah, OK. I've had America's Dog but never at Navy Pier. Sure I know of Clark and Diversey, about a block away from the driving range/mini golf course, right (and near that weird Elks Club)? As you can probably tell I enjoy talking about Chicago with whoever will talk
    My Guarantee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast