Page 104 of 379 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114154204 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 7565

Thread: Robbie Keane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gspain View Post
    Although it is only a friendly it is difficult to see Robbie being pulled by Liverpool.
    He actually travelled.

Keane assembled with the squad today in Dublin but was unable to partake in this afternoon’s training session at Gannon Park, Malahide.

Having been assessed by medical staff, it was decided that he will not be fit for the game and will, therefore, return to his club.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3797

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eirebhoy View Post
    He actually travelled.

Keane assembled with the squad today in Dublin but was unable to partake in this afternoon’s training session at Gannon Park, Malahide.

Having been assessed by medical staff, it was decided that he will not be fit for the game and will, therefore, return to his club.

http://www.fai.ie/index.php?option=c...k=view&id=3797
    Thanks - wasn't aware of that. It is likely to be genuine then. As stated above by elroy it is a great opportunity to try out some others. We had some great players in the past who missed a lot of matches due to "injury". At least we never had a Ryan Giggs. I see England called up Gerrard anyway for a medical assessment.

There is a balance between accomodating the club and making the point that you won't have the wool pulled over your eyes either. We have some huge games in the spring and need our key players when some may be involved in a title challenge and a champions league challenge.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    214 Posts
    I didn't watch the game last night but how bad was he? WTF have Liverpool done to Keano?

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    I saw the first half and he was anonymous. West Ham had a blanket defence and Liverpool’s best moments came from corners where they utilised Hyppia’s threat in the air. Not once did they try and play the ball into the box along the ground.

Robbie was playing alone upfront and was swamped by West Ham defenders. Kuyt played deeper and saw far more of the ball.

I only heard bits of second half on the radio. Jan Molby was the summariser and he felt that Keane offered no threat but that was mainly due to Benitez playing him in an inappropriate role. Molby suggested he’d be far better playing off Kuyt & that getting substituted regularly is hammering his confidence especially when replaced by a 19 year old rookie. Alan Greene was more of the opinion that he was just woefully off form.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    He wasn't so much bad as anonymous. Had sympathy for him as he was clearly under orders to play ahead of Kuyt and he got absolutely no quality supply. Kuyt was really woeful playing in the role that would have suited Robbie much better. I would have preferred to see Kuyt withdrawn, and Robbie being allowed to drop deep behind Ngog. Benitez clearly has no idea what he's doing, and has a total blind spot about Kuyt. Robbie and Babel are the main victims of Benitez's tactical ineptitude and irrational favouritism. His confidence must be draining away by the minute. I wish to God Benitez would go to Real and Liverpool appoint a manager with the imagination to get the best out of their formidable attacking talent.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    6 Posts
    I thought Gerrard was terrible last night too. Anytime he got the ball within 40 yards all he thought about was getting a shot in rather than looking for a through ball to Keane or someone else. And his shooting was appalling.

Keane looked so frustrated - he must have barely got 5 touches of the ball in the 65mins he was on. And to be taken off for a nobody will destroy his confidence. I agree he seems to love Kuyt even when he's having a negative impact on the team and simply doesnt take him off.

The problem with Benitez is that he decides his subsitutes before the game which is crazy IMO. Substitutes should be decided on how the game is going, what is needed for your team and how each player is performing. Instead he has it in his head from the first whistle that he's going to take Keane off after 65 mins. Keane knows this too and is constantly thinking about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    While I agree that Benitez used Keane incorrectly last night, I have to disagree on the comments about Kuyt.

While last night wasn't one of his better games, he has been one of Liverpool's best players this season, especially in the absence of Torres.

If Benitez wants to get the best out of Robbie, he needs to play him in a withdrawn role, or perhaps even on the sides of that 3 pronged attack.

I'm also more of a fan of Babel than I am of Benayoun.

Robbie Keane is quickly becoming the next Voronin- if this poor form continues much longer he'll be run out of town.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    He wasn't so much bad as anonymous. Had sympathy for him as he was clearly under orders to play ahead of Kuyt and he got absolutely no quality supply. Kuyt was really woeful playing in the role that would have suited Robbie much better. I would have preferred to see Kuyt withdrawn, and Robbie being allowed to drop deep behind Ngog. Benitez clearly has no idea what he's doing, and has a total blind spot about Kuyt. Robbie and Babel are the main victims of Benitez's tactical ineptitude and irrational favouritism. His confidence must be draining away by the minute. I wish to God Benitez would go to Real and Liverpool appoint a manager with the imagination to get the best out of their formidable attacking talent.
    Jesus Christ how much of a high opinon do you have of your own opinion. You think that Il Trap and Benitez do not know what they are doing and they are tactically inept. Yet both have one European Cups and League titles.

I do not agree with everything that Benitez does but I would never say that he has no idea at what he is doing.
    In Trap we trust

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Is anyone truly surprised by what's happened thus far at Liverpool for Keane???

To qualify that, I do rate Keane so it's not a cheap dig. I just haven't seen anything from Keane in a red shirt that I've not seen already for Ireland Spurs or Leads at stages.

If I'm honest, I believe he found his level at Spurs. But to be fair to him I don't think his current use in the team is what Benitez had in mind when he signed him. I think we'll see the best of Keane when Gerard (or even Kuyt) is unnavailable. Plus he always comes into his own in the second half of the season. A couple of braces totally changes the look of the oul' goal to games ratio. I'm willing him to do well. It's clearly eating at him.

From his own perspective it's a pity there's no International break soon because I think it does players well to get away to a different environment for a while...
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    There's an old saying: "Never meet your heroes you'll only be dissappointed!" well in Robbie's case you shouldn't play for them either because you'll only be dissappointing!

Keane should go back to Spurs where he could do no wrong. He's missing a hold-up player like he had with Berbatov. If Liverpool had kept Crouch we would right now be saying what a success his move was.
    I think him and Roman Pavlyuchenko would make a great strike force! Him and Torres just don't work.
    LESS OF THE BULL NOW!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    To be fair, and speaking as a Spurs fan, Keane only really played consistently well once Berbatov arrived at the club. The pair enjoyed a good relationship with Keane's anticipation of situations aided by the fact that he could be certain of Berbatov's ability to play it into the right areas.

I'm not really surprised at what's happened at Anfield for him so far. Torres seems more suited to playing on his own while Keane, although known as a hard worker, never gets the tackles in or wins the ball back as is the Liverpool way under the current manager. Surprised at Benitez signing him.

Also I agree with the above poster, him and Crouch probably would have made a fine partnership with Torres out injured!
    And you ask me to help you??!! Man is evil!!!! Capable of nothing but destruction!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    There seems to be a lot more pressure on Keane to score from the fans and media than Rooney and Tevez who haven't been scoring much this season.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts
    What? Rooney has grabbed a good few this season. Lately, he's gone off the boil.

Not sure how many Tevez has got but I get the feeling he won't be there much longer. He doesn't seem too happy.
    Extratime.ie

Yo te quiero, mi querida. Sin tus besos, yo soy nada.

Abri o portão de ouro, da maquina do tempo.

Mi mamá me hizo guapo, listo y antimadridista.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    There seems to be a lot more pressure on Keane to score from the fans and media than Rooney and Tevez who haven't been scoring much this season.
    Rooney, as England's favourite son, is praised for his "hard work" and "intelligence" when he's not scoring goals.

Tevez has been the odd man out since Berbatov's arrival, so I think the fans are sympathetic to his situation.

While the top pundits tend to agree that Robbie isn't being utilized correctly, the lowest common denominator of supporter is getting frustrated.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superfrank View Post
    What? Rooney has grabbed a good few this season. Lately, he's gone off the boil.

Not sure how many Tevez has got but I get the feeling he won't be there much longer. He doesn't seem too happy.
    Rooney - 6 goals, 4 assists
    Keane - 4 goals, 4 assists
    Tevez - 1 goal, 2 assists

Tevez hasn't played much but hardly ever looks like scoring and Keane can work just as hard in deep positions if he didn't concentrate on the goalscoring part.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    To be fair to Keane, he has played a few games as the lone striker, which absolutely does not suit his game. There is no denying the goals haven't flowed for him as much as he, or Liverpool, would have liked. However in the games he has played with Torres, his performances have been good, the link play between the two is good, and unfortunately due to Torres injuries, when they've seemed like they're getting a partnership going either torres is injured or the Int break comes along.
    He'll be fine.
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,704 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ciaran View Post
    Keane excels at broken play and counter attacks, thats why he was a demon at spurs. I was watching Liverpool v West Ham last night and it was like the anti-Keane game. Liverpool pushed everyone forward, West Ham pushed everyone back and Liverpool were either

- Playing crosses into the box which were obviously aimed for Kuyt or Hyypia, not suitable for Keane.

- Playing it back for Gerrard or Alonso to strike from distance.

It was just a horrible use of Keane and it's no surprise he wasnt in the game. Benitez needs to use him better, I think ideally it'd be for Kuyt to get injured so they'll stop playing an aerial game.
    Imposter alert. I think someone has got hold of Ciaran's log in and password and is actually talking sense.

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    783 Posts
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Rooney - 6 goals, 4 assists
    Keane - 4 goals, 4 assists
    Tevez - 1 goal, 2 assists

Tevez hasn't played much but hardly ever looks like scoring and Keane can work just as hard in deep positions if he didn't concentrate on the goalscoring part.

Haha its a funny old game as greavsie would say.....
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Aye just shows you how quickly things might change for Keane too.