Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 8116

Thread: Stadium Updates (All Clubs)

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by citybone View Post
    Bray's away section is better than Dundalks. Cork City normally bring 50-100 on a normal away game and anything up too 1,000 for a big game. But you wont get more than 10 Cork City fans again anytime soon. Not a big issue but Pats, Bohs, Rovers, Drogs might have bigger crowds if facilities are better, Especially after several incidents this season.
    Really? We have been allowed go anywhere in The Carlisle but I assume normally it's the uncovered side where they normally segregate fans? We had an option of going into the stand or terrace for Oriel park. We also had access to bar at half time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A face View Post
    Dundalk will find that out this year with Cork City Support. They ****ed off far too many last year and they'll pay the price for it.
    So 10 Cork fans instead of 20. Yes that is really going to hurt us financially.....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    Does this mean other clubs fans don't matter? I know a lot of people who have been put off going to Dundalk in recent years for the away facilities alone.
    The away facilities in Oriel are the worst in the league. Pat's, Drogheda and Bray's are not much better. I'd love to know where other fans think Dundalk would get the money to build a new away section to facilitate a handful of fans when the rest of the stadium is a mess? Where is the return on investment when away fans apart from a few clubs don't travel in numbers in this league.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    473 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jofspring View Post
    Really? We have been allowed go anywhere in The Carlisle but I assume normally it's the uncovered side where they normally segregate fans? We had an option of going into the stand or terrace for Oriel park. We also had access to bar at half time.
    It depends on the game. Big away followings (Shams, Pat's, Bohs) usually aren't allowed in the tent. Or teams against whom there's historically been trouble (Dundalk, apparently, although I can't remember ever personally having much of an issue). I think for the rest of the time, it's officially discouraged, but they never check (or if they do, it's a simple "are you a home supporter", and they take your word for it)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    It depends on the game. Big away followings (Shams, Pat's, Bohs) usually aren't allowed in the tent. Or teams against whom there's historically been trouble (Dundalk, apparently, although I can't remember ever personally having much of an issue). I think for the rest of the time, it's officially discouraged, but they never check (or if they do, it's a simple "are you a home supporter", and they take your word for it)
    I've been in the tent a number of times (when raining) and have never had any issue getting in. Lack of cover is made up by having a great view of the pitch in the away section.

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    583 Posts
    Every time I've been in Bray I've been able to go wherever I liked. For the Limerick game this year me and the GF switched back and forth between the terrace and the cover whenever it was raining and nobody cared. I assumed it was due to the small number present.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peadar1987 View Post
    It depends on the game. Big away followings (Shams, Pat's, Bohs) usually aren't allowed in the tent.
    Always loads of Pats fans in there. Not the majority of the crowd but certainly enough to be noticeable
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Louth4sam View Post
    I've been in the tent a number of times (when raining) and have never had any issue getting in. Lack of cover is made up by having a great view of the pitch in the away section.
    I always like going to Bray. As you say, the lack of cover is more than made up by the great viewing position.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    You are kidding right?

Fix it up, don't fix it up, that's up to your club. You're probably right that it's not a major priority for you, but it does impact the number of traveling fans, particularly over longer distances.
    Cork have never brought a big crowd to Op in my memory which would go back as far as mid nineties and never more than 50 or a 100. I doubt if a complete overhaul of away facilities in OP would increase those numbers that would warrant an investment in that area.

Does this mean other clubs fans don't matter? I know a lot of people who have been put off going to Dundalk in recent years for the away facilities alone.

Surely improving the match day experience for all fans, home and away, should be priority for Dundalk when looking to increase the budget and keep fans in the turnstiles at increased prices.
    Of course it matters and I am sure we would love to be in a position to offer those resources. but if you are not happy with the away section then you can go to the away section in the stand for €5 extra,

If money grew on trees then we would have it done and it would be state of the art but far more
    areas in OP need probably greater addressing than the away section.

as the lads said our section is no worse than whats on offer at Drogheda, pats, Bray with the exception of covering. but jesus Christ lads a bit of rain never hurt anyone
    Last edited by jinxy lilywhite; 02/12/2013 at 7:32 PM. Reason: add on
    Long Live King Kenny

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Realistically, Dundalk won't be able to invest in facilities unless they get a windfall or spend 2-3 years at the top of the table with increased crowds, which is what Sligo did before upgrading their facilities. It's a bit much to ask a team who've only recently steadied the ship after almost being relegated to be spending money improving the stands.

11. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts
    Seems fairly reasonable point Charlie, but I have noticed it has become a much more serious issue since we got promoted the last time for the start of the 2009 season.

I would dearly love a new away section in OP, but there are limits on where it could be built due to enter and exit arrangements. The only area is where it is, maybe take it around the corner a little for improved view, and of course a roof, proper toilets and better access to food and drink.

On a fine summers evening, it's actually not a bad view but only for one end, pretty poor for when your team is attacking the town end. A lot of home fans stand/sit in the new seating area on the town side of the main stand, and same applies there, no cover and really only a good view of one half.

The ideal solution would be to extend the main stand in oriel both sides, then all areas that side would have a perfect view. Then the away support could all be seated where it is now, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Cost would probably be over 1m.

OP is an ageing ground, and has slipped very badly down the ranks, it only looks half decent with a good crowd in, and it generates an even better atmosphere then, but it needs a major revamp, we all appreciate that.
    Last edited by oriel; 02/12/2013 at 8:27 PM.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Put it this way, if Dundalk won the league they'd be 300k better off and I suspect, given the work that's been done on the pitch over the past few years, would put some of it towards ground improvements but the situation right now is that their only focus is on using their resources to put out a team that can challenge at the top of the league. As Longford have learned, having a lovely stadium doesn't mean much if your attendances are halved by playing in the First Division, so clubs realistically have to prioritise what happens on the field over the costly business of improving facilities.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    I appreciate its a fine balancing act at all clubs with not enough money to go around. I wonder though if investing in facilities that are available to away fans might not be a bad bang for the buck. Clubs find it tough to draw in non LOI fans. Away fans are ready made new fans that don't have to be convinced, might be the easiest new customers to acquire.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    I appreciate its a fine balancing act at all clubs with not enough money to go around. I wonder though if investing in facilities that are available to away fans might not be a bad bang for the buck. Clubs find it tough to draw in non LOI fans. Away fans are ready made new fans that don't have to be convinced, might be the easiest new customers to acquire.
    Away fans will turn up twice a year max, maybe three with a cup game. A home fan could stay the whole season. The choice isn't a hard one to make.

International Prospect Jofspring's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    402 Posts
    Personally when I travel to away games it doesn't really bother me too much what the facilities are like. All I want is the option to be covered (seats not necessary as I don't actually like sitting at games), a toilet and to not have a big pillar in front of me. I rarely eat at the ground and I see a bar as a bonus.

It's vital to have the home fans well looked after first and then if you have the luxury to do so look after the away fans to a higher standard than currently at a lot of grounds.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    But can't they turn up to every game....different groups of people obviously.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fieldofmarkets View Post
    So spend hundreds of thousands on decent away facilities to get 50 away fans and gate receipts of less than a grand every second week. Yes that sounds very "bang for the buck"

19. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    900 Posts
    Grants? Naming rights/sponsored stand? Fundraise for a few years, and save the money in a post office account until there's enough for basic facilities? Where there's a will, there's a way.

Away fans don't want corporate boxes and gold taps in the toilets - a roof, a burger, a pint and a reduced risk of contracting typhus would keep most happy.
    Hello, hello? What's going on? What's all this shouting, we'll have no trouble here!
    - E Tattsyrup.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    I'd settle for somewhere safe where I can see 95% of the pitch. It's crazy how some fans get real defensive about their grounds. All of them, bar maybe Turners Cross and Tallaght could do with major upgrades. I think people know that most clubs can't afford them but at the very least you have to know that most aren't good enough
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post
    I'd settle for somewhere safe where I can see 95% of the pitch. It's crazy how some fans get real defensive about their grounds. All of them, bar maybe Turners Cross and Tallaght could do with major upgrades. I think people know that most clubs can't afford them but at the very least you have to know that most aren't good enough
    I'd add Terryland Park to that list also. Is it any coincidence that funding for these grounds have not come from the clubs that play at them? There are very few boards/CEO/Chairmen that would drop their player budget to invest significantly in infrastructure. Sligo seem to be the only club bucking the trend.