Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 115 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: Shane Long

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Did anyone else hear him shout at the Reading fans, celebrating his first goal against Norwich?

In a big thick Tipp accent "I bet you liked that one, didn't ya!". It was funny at the time.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Did anyone else hear him shout at the Reading fans, celebrating his first goal against Norwich?

In a big thick Tipp accent "I bet you liked that one, didn't ya!". It was funny at the time.
    stutts whats "a big thick Tipp" accent?!
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    If Reading get promoted, how will their striker force look?

starting every match if fit: Doyle/Kitson
    first sub: Noel Hunt
    second sub: Shane Long

am I way off the mark here?
    I don't think even Coppell himself could answer that one. He tends to change around alot.. Is Lita still there??
    I pity the fool!.... But suggest ways that he might improve himself.

www.thefastleague.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    You obviously decided to ignore the posts that said that even without the goals he was superb. I suppose there's no culture of qualitative assessment of performance over your way though.
    You're right I did, because I don't base my opinions on posts from here I actually watch the ****ing games, quite a few of which have been televised recently, or at least extended highlights on Virgin Media or The Championship
    Last edited by theworm2345; 30/04/2009 at 6:55 PM.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    I prefer to see games too, but if I miss them I like to read what others think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    I prefer to see games too, but if I miss them I like to read what others think.
    Me too (hell isn't that why we're all here?) but I wouldn't base my opinions on what they think. If I did that, my perception of certain players (OK maybe just 1 ) would definitely be much different.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,914 Posts
    Who they?
    You don't actually have to watch these championship games in order to have Foot.ie educated opinions about players like Ledger, do you?
    Just learn to discriminate who writes some sense and trust their opinion

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    3 goals in 8 games with 2 of them coming against a surely relegated team is hardly red-hot form

Actually upon further review 6 of his 9 goals this season have come against the three bottom teams
    In many of those games where he didn't score he was a sub and saw the pitch for less than half the game. Five goals and an assist in his last five starts. Three crucial goals under the spotlight of a promotion push on a team struggling to score. He is hot right now.

Reading have scored 13 goals spanning 14 games since Jan. 31st. Shane has scored or assisted on 7 of them. That is despite playing the full 90 in only four games and missing two completely as an unused sub.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/players...=66502&cc=5901

And it's not just the stats, he just has a wonderful confidence about him now that I haven't seen in him since following Reading.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I absolutely loved that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by geysir View Post
    Who they?
    You don't actually have to watch these championship games in order to have Foot.ie educated opinions about players like Ledger, do you?
    Just learn to discriminate who writes some sense and trust their opinion
    You see, its posts like seahawk's that make me doubt whether I should take people's opinions here literally or not. I'm no different though, for example would you really take any of analysis of mine of a game DC played literally? The only way that could even be close would be if I said he played terrible then you could know he wasn't up to snuff but other than that I'd say I'm too biased. I'd say the same about MancIrishWolf and Kevin Foley and anyone's opinion on that bald headed Manchester City player. MIW is a good example because he goes to many Wolves game and seems sensible enough yet when he's talking about Foley you just know its going to be an outpouring of support (same as me with you-know-who...I figure if I don't write the name I can avoid an argument).

Now at least seahawk used some facts in his post to back it up, thats something you don't see often enough, though (to tie it all back together) I still don't rate Long, though he's young and could be blossoming.
    Last edited by theworm2345; 01/05/2009 at 6:04 AM.
    My Guarantee

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Wouldn't say that my judgement has been clouded by bias, as I am not baying for Keogh or Ward to be in the squad, just highlighting them as players for the future.

Any possible over-emphasis is merely born out of frustration in seeing a quality player continually overlooked which too can be backed up by the number one fact that he was yesterday crowned as the Fans players of the season having won a resounding 51% of the vote, beating the top goalscorer in the division (Ebanks Blake with 25 goals) in what has been our most successful season in years. All this and just a left back - my opinion may not count for much, however surely 51% of the paying public who see him play week in week out must. Speak to any Wolves fan and they are simply astounded that he is not playing for Ireland, especially given the competition. However, I'm sure his time will come.

As for Long - he's quality and it's great to see him coming out of the shadows - always had the pace, fight and eye for goal, hopefully now he has the self-belief.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    567 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manc Irish Wolf View Post
    Wouldn't say that my judgement has been clouded by bias, as I am not baying for Keogh or Ward to be in the squad, just highlighting them as players for the future.

Any possible over-emphasis is merely born out of frustration in seeing a quality player continually overlooked which too can be backed up by the number one fact that he was yesterday crowned as the Fans players of the season having won a resounding 51% of the vote, beating the top goalscorer in the division (Ebanks Blake with 25 goals) in what has been our most successful season in years. All this and just a left back - my opinion may not count for much, however surely 51% of the paying public who see him play week in week out must. Speak to any Wolves fan and they are simply astounded that he is not playing for Ireland, especially given the competition. However, I'm sure his time will come.

As for Long - he's quality and it's great to see him coming out of the shadows - always had the pace, fight and eye for goal, hopefully now he has the self-belief.
    If you are talking about Foley isn't he a right back.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Yes, a surprising slip from the Black Country Chief Scout.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    You see, its posts like seahawk's that make me doubt whether I should take people's opinions here literally or not. I'm no different though, for example would you really take any of analysis of mine of a game DC played literally? The only way that could even be close would be if I said he played terrible then you could know he wasn't up to snuff but other than that I'd say I'm too biased. I'd say the same about MancIrishWolf and Kevin Foley and anyone's opinion on that bald headed Manchester City player. MIW is a good example because he goes to many Wolves game and seems sensible enough yet when he's talking about Foley you just know its going to be an outpouring of support (same as me with you-know-who...I figure if I don't write the name I can avoid an argument).
    The difference I see between you and Connolly, and Manc and Foley, is that you are a David Connolly supporter, and Manc is a Wolves supporter.

David Connolly has been injured for the last two seasons essentially, and at his age is probably done at the top end of English football (if he makes a miraculous recovery and becomes one of the English league's top strikers and gives us another option, great, but let's admit this is unlikely).

In contrast, Manc tells us about all of the Irish players at Wolves, and is understandably glowing in regards to his descriptions of Foley- he is not alone in this regard, as evidenced by him winning the Supporters player of the season (this is from the same group of supporters who had a seemingly strong anti-Irish sentiment on their forum during Keogh's dry spell last season, which makes it even more impressive).

I admire your loyalty to David Connolly, and the support you have given him throughout the years, and I hope that he returns and enjoys another year or two of good goalscoring form- I always like to see Irish players do well even if they're not in the frame with the national side.

I'm not trying to insult you worm, but my point is that I don't think your presentation of David Connolly on this forum is comparable to Manc's descriptions of Foley (and the rest of the Irish Wolves lads).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    The difference I see between you and XXXX, and Manc and Foley, is that you are a XXXX supporter, and Manc is a Wolves supporter.

XXXX has been injured for the last two seasons essentially, and at his age is probably done at the top end of English football (if he makes a miraculous recovery and becomes one of the English league's top strikers and gives us another option, great, but let's admit this is unlikely).

In contrast, Manc tells us about all of the Irish players at Wolves, and is understandably glowing in regards to his descriptions of Foley- he is not alone in this regard, as evidenced by him winning the Supporters player of the season (this is from the same group of supporters who had a seemingly strong anti-Irish sentiment on their forum during Keogh's dry spell last season, which makes it even more impressive).

I admire your loyalty to XXXX, and the support you have given him throughout the years, and I hope that he returns and enjoys another year or two of good goalscoring form- I always like to see Irish players do well even if they're not in the frame with the national side.

I'm not trying to insult you worm, but my point is that I don't think your presentation of XXXX on this forum is comparable to Manc's descriptions of Foley (and the rest of the Irish Wolves lads).
    (I have X'ed out the name so as to hopefully avoid the inevitable argument/snide comments that lead to me arguing it brings)

Perhaps, but the bias is still the same unless he is talking on The Wolf/Modded in the Midlands (where, being a Wolves supporter myself, I posted until I got sick of the lot of them) because there they are just trying to do what is best for the team. While he (and I with you know who) undoubtedly wants the best for the Boys in Green, he presents his opinions to try to give the players a better reputation to Irish supporters.

Sorry to drag you into this MIW

Anyway...

P.S.

Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    (if he makes a miraculous recovery and becomes one of the English league's top strikers and gives us another option, great, but let's admit this is unlikely).
    Never!
    Last edited by theworm2345; 01/05/2009 at 9:46 PM.
    My Guarantee

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    I would also like to poiut that I am not touting Long as the saviour and suggesting that he be put into the starting XI for Ireland. My point is that he is playing the best that I have seen while watching him.

I don't know anywhere near enough to suggest where he belongs amongst all Irish strikers. I will cheer for whoever gets put out there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    he was pretty anonymous on Saturday, saying that Reading as a team were very very poor

I don't think they have a hope in hell of getting through the playoffs so hopefully Doyle gets the move he deserves and then maybe Long can actually get a decent run next season to prove himself...
    "Well I think they'll be a little disappointed with that" - Matt Holland on TV3 after 5-2 drubbing by Cyprus

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ogba View Post
    he was pretty anonymous on Saturday, saying that Reading as a team were very very poor

I don't think they have a hope in hell of getting through the playoffs so hopefully Doyle gets the move he deserves and then maybe Long can actually get a decent run next season to prove himself...
    Hunt wasnt great either. I thought Tabb did ok. Long missed one great chance in the first half when the ball was squared from the right hand side. In a way, I think Reading not getting promoted might be better for Long as it will present him with a better opportunity to establish himself as a first team starter than if they get promoted.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yes, not much service up front. The wing play in particular was horrible. Both Hunt and Kebe had 'mares.

Two things to keep in mind:
    1-Reading's pitch is a mess, the team tends to hoof it more at home and when they are on a nice pitch play more of a passing style. That means they need to be up 1 or 2 coming home to have a shot.

2-I like their chances if they make the final as Wemberley is likely to be in pristine shape. But getting past Burnley will prove difficult.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seahawk View Post
    . But getting past Burnley will prove difficult.
    Jezzzzzzzzzzzzzz I hope you are right

Page 9 of 115 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast