Page 169 of 229 FirstFirst ... 69119159167168169170171179219 ... LastLast
Results 3,361 to 3,380 of 4563

Thread: Aiden McGeady M Ayr Utd b.1986

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    McGeady was excellent last night given the difficulty that Ward put him under for some reason being constantly out of position.

How many times was Ward in the box instead of tracking his man which is what McGeady had to do in the end. I wouldn't be adversed sticking Aiden at LB if it came to it. There would be no harm in it and who knows it could be where he blossoms??? I know I am reading a lot into one game but he was great.
    And sure we can stick Fahey in at LM.
    Hunt and McGeady on one side with Duff and Lawrence on the other side would be interesting for the game against Andorra.
    Anyones choice as to which one would play in defence or MF.
    Last edited by Irish_Praha; 07/09/2011 at 9:53 PM.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    I think the criticism towards him is understandable in part. I'll be honest, he does my head in. He just has bags of talent, so much so that even when he plays badly its evident how good he could be. But the problem is the inconsistency and the lack of an end product. How many step overs does he need to do? What I find most frustrating though is he always races for the end line looking to cross the ball. Now I know I will be attacked by his defenders but for a player who is a brilliant dribbler of the ball, why cant he link up with his front 2 and head in field where he would put the opposition under pressure? As it is, if a full back has pace to match McGeady he just can sheppard him on the outside the whole way to the line.
    Maybe it is Trap's tactics, maybe its the way he was coached at Celtic, but compare him to Duff. He has the same type of dribble, low and hunched over, which should win him a number of free kicks; he will learn this in time I'm sure. Duff's main contribution isn't beating players, its his passing game. How many times to you see Duff double teamed and picking out a pass to somebody in a bit of space?

His defensive game has improved no end. He is a completely different player than last season already. He has become an important part of the team, but I dont see him being integral just yet. Another year an Spartak and perfecting the basics and he will be a star in Poland if we qualify.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish_Praha View Post
    Hunt and McGeady on one side with Duff and Lawrence on the other side would be interesting for the game against Andorra.
    Anyones choice as to which one would play in defence or MF.
    Don't think we need a midfield then. Maybe Trap and Tardelli can apply for Irish passports, give themselves a run.

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    McGeady was defensively brilliant the other night and played a big role in keeping us in it, but the only dangerous cross he produced was into our own box, not the Russian one. That aspect of his game will have to improve a lot before I really rate him.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sullivinho View Post
    It's strange how people see things in wildly different ways. I happened to read another discussion today where someone was lambasting McGeady as a waster who offered Ward no protection and was basically at fault for all our problems down that side. Ward was made exempt from criticism and ridiculously, this opinion was met with a chorus of agreement. Different strokes and all that.

For what it's worth, I'm with you. He showed a lot of responsibility yesterday, one last ditch sliding tackle in particular comes to mind. No idea where Ward was at the time. You expect it from Duff but it's good to see McGeady following suit.
    You see Ward plays in the EPL so doesn't get it in the neck. It's the centre of the footballing universe, hadn't you heard? Welcome to the Irish football fan. Some of Ward's crosses are absolutely woeful. Under no pressure he's ballooned a few now.
    Last edited by TiocfaidhArmani; 08/09/2011 at 12:00 PM.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    I´d have no complaints about Ward except for his crossing and positioning.. (scratching head) ... I suppose that would be about 50% of a full back's game.

But you could see Ward grew into the role in the 2nd half, the most frustrating moment was when McGeady laid it on a plate for him to cross late in the game and he wasted it. Anyway I don't get the focus on the 'get the ball high into the box' all the time, the more dangerous cross is the cutback to a midfielder's foot coming in at pace or just waiting in space to lash it goal wards. But in Ireland we are zoned into the high ball into the box and see what happens. The chances of the cross being good and something happening, are slim.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    622 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    McGeady was defensively brilliant the other night and played a big role in keeping us in it, but the only dangerous cross he produced was into our own box, not the Russian one. That aspect of his game will have to improve a lot before I really rate him.
    The pass Glenn Whelan couldn't control?
    Here they come! It’s the charge of the “Thanks” Brigade!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I couldn't see why Ray Houghton was slating him. I thought that at the time, it was a simple pass to Whelan, he made an ar*e of it and McGeady gets utterly slated by the commentators. I can't stand Houghton as a commentator.

11. Thanks From:

Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,529 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom View Post
    I find it does not pay to set the bar too high when it comes to 'crosses' from McGeady.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Aiden just scored Spartak's second goal against Krylia Sove - a right-foot volley from about 8 yards out.

Busy day trying to watch All-Ireland, Man United-Chelsea and Spartak at the same time.

Final score: 3-0 to Spartak and another 90 minutes of match-practice for McGeady
    Last edited by EastTerracer; 18/09/2011 at 8:03 PM.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,746 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    I find it does not pay to set the bar too high when it comes to 'crosses' from McGeady.
    Actually, the bar can't be set high enough

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Here it is:

Good finish!

16. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    The number 90 for Spartak, Andrei Tikhonov, who had the assist for McGeady's goal seemed to be playing his last game for them today. They made a big deal of substituting him just before half-time and then they gave him a big flash car at half-time. Seemed to be something of a fans' favourite as well.
    "There's man all over for you, blaming on his boots the fault of his feet" - Samuel Beckett, Waiting for Godot

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    The number 90 for Spartak, Andrei Tikhonov, who had the assist for McGeady's goal seemed to be playing his last game for them today. They made a big deal of substituting him just before half-time and then they gave him a big flash car at half-time. Seemed to be something of a fans' favourite as well.
    Russians seem to love mixing cars and football. During the Ireland game they had a fleet of Merc's (I think) driving around the Luzhniki running track. They stopped periodically in front of the crowd and they suitably went bananas. I think it might've been a competition to win a car but wasn't sure.

Back on McGeady, I got regular shouts of 'Mah-gee-he!' in Moscow, which took me a while to decipher but was heartening to hear nonetheless.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,350 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EastTerracer View Post
    The number 90 for Spartak, Andrei Tikhonov, who had the assist for McGeady's goal seemed to be playing his last game for them today.
    What a wierd career!

Nearly 41 years old; that was his first league game since re-signing (as a coach), 11 years since his other spell with them. So they basically took the **** in a league game, throwing in a veteran last seen in Division Two last November, and he still rewarded them with an assist. Bizarre stuff.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,922 Posts
    Still no comment about the lack of marking on McGeady?

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    Russians seem to love mixing cars and football. During the Ireland game they had a fleet of Merc's (I think) driving around the Luzhniki running track. They stopped periodically in front of the crowd and they suitably went bananas. I think it might've been a competition to win a car but wasn't sure.

Back on McGeady, I got regular shouts of 'Mah-gee-he!' in Moscow, which took me a while to decipher but was heartening to hear nonetheless.
    Tikhonov is a Spartak legend, he earned his stripes during some fistfight regarding insults levelled at Spartak supporters. Supposedly he's suffering from some sort of terminal disease, though nothing surprises here. He basically reminds the trash that follow Spartak of their glory days - plus Karpin made sure to bring him in (in connivance with the backers) to ensure he wasn't fired.

The cars at half time were Volkswagens (chief sponsor of the RFS) and they stopped at certain points in the stadium where the camera then pointed to a fan who cheered the most and who was then picked out by a rep in that zone to be given a prize. Also all the prizewinners went into a grand draw to win a Passat.

22. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    McGeady scored for Spartak in their Cup match today, was 1-1 at full time in extra time now.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    192 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theworm2345 View Post
    McGeady scored for Spartak in their Cup match today, was 1-1 at full time in extra time now.
    Aiden's goal is the first thing in the highlights package below. Looks like he may have been subbed before the penalty shoot-out as he doesn't seem to be in the centre-circle. Spartak lost 6-5 on penalties.

Last edited by EastTerracer; 21/09/2011 at 10:04 PM.

25. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    587 Posts
    Nice to Aiden scoring a few goals.