Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 71 of 170 FirstFirst ... 2161697071727381121 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,420 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Gibson on for Giggs in United's game against West Brom.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    386 Posts
    Cudn't ask for an easier game to come on in. United coasting at 2-0 at OT. If the game was tighter Scholes would have come on for Giggs IMO

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,707 Posts
    Ooops. 2-2!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    Ooops. 2-2!
    You do have to ask questions of Ferguson, they keep on throwing away their leads this season, about the 4th time already.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,325 Posts
    I think he was resting players ahead of the tie against Bursaspor in the Champions League on Wednesday, but West Brom have shown themselves to be a decent side this season
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    Gibson was hopeless when he came on. Van Der Saar will get the blame for the second goal but Gibson was constantly caught out of position. I doubt he'll ever make it with any team in the Premiership, never mind with Manchester United.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    That's very harsh CR.

Whether or not he makes it at United, he is still good enough to make it with many of the Premiership clubs.

Formerly: vega007 Colbert Report's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    162 Posts
    I don't know about that. I was very enthusiastic about him but I really haven't seen enough of him to judge; I don't think any of us could have. I watch all the Ireland matches and most of the Manchester United games too but he really hasn't shown me that he's capable of playing at such a high level. I mean, I realise that Trapattoni is looking for more defensive ball winners in the centre of the park and that's why he plays Paul Green instead of Gibson, but really, we're talking about two men who play the same position and yet Green is playing for a mid-table club......in the Championship.

He needs a move in January, along with half the current Irish squad. Of course, it won't happen, because like Keane and Given, he's more than happy to just sit back and collect his high wages instead of making half the money and actually playing for a smaller club. Can't say I blame him, but it is just such a waste.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colbert Report View Post
    I don't know about that. I was very enthusiastic about him but I really haven't seen enough of him to judge; I don't think any of us could have. I watch all the Ireland matches and most of the Manchester United games too but he really hasn't shown me that he's capable of playing at such a high level. I mean, I realise that Trapattoni is looking for more defensive ball winners in the centre of the park and that's why he plays Paul Green instead of Gibson, but really, we're talking about two men who play the same position and yet Green is playing for a mid-table club......in the Championship.

He needs a move in January, along with half the current Irish squad. Of course, it won't happen, because like Keane and Given, he's more than happy to just sit back and collect his high wages instead of making half the money and actually playing for a smaller club. Can't say I blame him, but it is just such a waste.
    I agree. I think he's useless. Everytime I've seen him for United or Ireland he's looked hopelessly out of his depth. An Irish Thomas Hitzlsperger as someone on here once referred to him is a very appropriate description although I wouldn't think he was even as good.

Hopefully he'll improve though I've yet to see any evidence of it and he's not a kid anymore.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/10/2010 at 10:21 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I don't know about that. I was very enthusiastic about him but I really haven't seen enough of him to judge; I don't think any of us could have.
    .....which kinda contradicts your previous post.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    The same Keane who jumped out of Liverpool when he wasn't getting a game? Who choose to fight for his place in the Spurs team but will likely leave in January having been completely frozen out by Redknapp? Or the same Given who was refused to be released by Mancini until the transfer window was closed but before that publicly made known his wish for a move? Yeah, I'm sure they're both very happy...

If Gibson fancies his chances at Man Utd he'd be a fool not to pursue it. Everyone would say 'he bottled it, going to a smaller club, could be playing Champs League etc'. I'm not convinced he'll make it at Utd either, but have no doubt he can make it in the Prem.

Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    I agree. I think he's useless. Everytime I've seen him for United or Ireland he's looked hopelessly out of his depth.
    'Hopelessly out of this depth' is a hopelessly OTT comment. Plenty of premiership and Champs League matches he's held his own.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Everytime I've seen him for United or Ireland he's looked hopelessly out of his depth.
    Why the exaggeration? Clearly not true.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post

'Hopelessly out of this depth' is a hopelessly OTT comment. Plenty of premiership and Champs League matches he's held his own.
    I can't seem to recall too many. Maybe you could enlighten me? Most of his performances at best he could be described as being anonymous and at worst he's looked lost on the pitch. He's been dire for Ireland.

I like my midfielders to contribute more to a game than a few wayward long shots off target.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/10/2010 at 3:48 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    I can't seem to recall too many. Maybe you could enlighten me?
    The second leg of Manchester United's Champions League tie against Bayern Munich last season.
    Last edited by The Fly; 17/10/2010 at 4:06 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    I can't seem to recall too many. Maybe you could enlighten me?
    There's a 70-odd page long thread on him here, with plenty of positive (and negative notices), positive write-up's in different media outlets a Google away and the opinion of two quality managers who appear to see something in him. You can do your own enlightening, unless, of course, you're unwilling.

Most of his performances at best he could be described as being anonymous and at worst he's looked lost on the pitch. He's been dire for Ireland.
    Your 'hopelessly out of his depth' was pretty melodramatic and inaccurate imo. It certainly doesn't equate to most of his performances as 'anonymous' which is, of course, arguable. Anyway, point is, your seem to be throwing out a lot of OTT hyperbole. Dire for Ireland? Really? Anonymous, ineffectual, lacking impact - maybe, just maybe. Dire, no.

I like my midfielders to contribute more to a game than a few wayward long shots off target.
    Don't we all. I think Gibson offers more than this (especially since a lot of his shots actually fly into the top corner). Even if right now he's not quite making the impact we'd like, I think he could yet do given a run of games playing in his optimum position (which certainly isn't defensive midfielder). He still has time - despite being almost over the hill at the grand old age of 22.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Your 'hopelessly out of his depth' was pretty melodramatic and inaccurate imo. It certainly doesn't equate to most of his performances as 'anonymous' which is, of course, arguable. Anyway, point is, your seem to be throwing out a lot of OTT hyperbole. Dire for Ireland? Really? Anonymous, ineffectual, lacking impact - maybe, just maybe. Dire, no.
    If a central midfielder is consistently found lacking in games and doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to the team then what would you describe him as? I think dire and hopelessly out of his depth are accurate. What exactly in your opinion constitutes a dire midfielder? Someone who knocks in own goals for fun? How much worse can a professional footballer be than to be consistently found to be lacking or ineffective in games? This is particularly a damning indictment for a central midfielder whom all the play is meant to go through.

As for your comment that Trap sees something in him you do realise he has also seen something in Paul Green and Liam Miller at various points in the past?

He'll be 23 next week btw so he's not a kid anymore and I've yet to see any great progression in his ability since he first broke into the united team about 2 years ago now.
    Last edited by youngirish; 17/10/2010 at 4:23 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    If a central midfielder is consistently found lacking in games and doesn't contribute in any meaningful way to the team then what would you describe him as? I think dire and hopelessly out of his depth are accurate. What exactly in your opinion constitutes a dire midfielder? Someone who knocks in own goals for fun? How much worse can a professional footballer be than to be consistently found to be lacking or ineffective in games? This is particularly a damning indictment for a central midfielder whom all the play is meant to go through.
    For United he's had a quite a few decent games, passing well, scoring goals and contributing to successful performances. Is that a 'damning indictment for a central midfielder'? Or are you just overplaying how 'dire' he's been?

As for Ireland, mostly people would agree he's yet to flourish, but it could be argued he isn't playing in a system or position suited to his strengths. Maybe he's not good enough to overcome these disadvantages - which simply means he isn't world class.

As for your comment that Trap sees something in him you do realise he has also seen something in Paul Green and Liam Miller at various points in the past?
    So what? Every decent manager have made mistakes. Fergie has his Taibi, Mourinho had Shevchenko and Marcello Lippi picked loads of duffers at the World Cup last summer. But by your reckoning it negates all their success. Bizarre...

Trap's a successful manager, Fergie's a successful manager, they like Gibson. Guess you know more about it than they do.

He'll be 23 next week btw so he's not a kid anymore and I've yet to see any great progression in his ability since he first broke into the united team about 2 years ago now.
    Again so what? Plenty of players came into their own in their late 20's - just because he's not a teenager anymore doesn't mean he should either transform into a world class midfielder or go home.

If he's not setting the world on fire, it certainly doesn't mean he's on the scrap heap, or 'dire' or 'hopelessly out of his depth' or whatever. There's no reason to think Gibson's not going to make it for Ireland, especially given his performances haven't been almost as bad as you suggest. Not to mention the fact he's played well for Utd, impressed his bosses and, despite seemingly being ancient, has time on his side.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Marcello Lippi picked loads of duffers at the World Cup last summer.
    ...Damien's mother still hasn't got over that.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    It seems he is the easy option for United fans to abuse. He did nothing wrong in the second half yet some idiots were saying he was useless. He was far from poor. he is three years younger than Fletcher, three years ago United fans were on Fletchers back. People need to realise he has played just 20 games for United. He is not going to come on and take the game by the scruff of the neck. He still needs time. He was very unlucky that United cocked up against Bayern at home in the Champions League last year. He was very good in that game behind Rooney and had United won he could have got a lot more game time towards the end of the season in that position

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    What Gibson does well is linking play. To take his game to the next level he needs to learn how to impose himself on games and be a creative force. To do this he needs an extended period of first team football.

23. Thanks From: