Page 100 of 170 FirstFirst ... 50909899100101102110150 ... LastLast
Results 1,981 to 2,000 of 3381

Thread: Darron Gibson

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    He'll be needing a visit to Wayne Rooney's hair transplant clinic by the time he's 30. Serious bald spot emerging.
    As I said many moons ago, he's the Irish Zidane.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Was it just me or was Gibson playing far too deep? He was the one orchestrating things but he needed to have the courage to do it nearer the box. Guys like Pogba and Morrison are talented but they needed the more experienced player to take more responsibility.
    I'm not sure. I think in a situation like that it's fair enough to have someone sitting deep, a constant outlet for the ball while those in front can move the defenders around and open up space a little bit. He played a three or four decent balls into the edge of the box which opened things up but usually resulted in someone giving it away/miscontrolling.

Plus he had six or seven Utd players and pretty much 11 Palace players in front of him at all times, 17 players all within thirty/forty yards of Palace's goal so not sure where he could've went beyond playing a one-two before likely being crowded out.

Suppose would be good to see him make the odd darting run but I'm just not sure that's in his game, whether by design or because he doesn't have the courage.

He did look pretty knackered in extra time. To be expected considering it was his first senior game in ages and he shipped a heavy knock in the second half.
    Last edited by SwanVsDalton; 30/11/2011 at 10:30 PM.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Gibson not getting much of a mention over at Red Cafe - which is, I suppose, a good thing? With Darron, usually no news is good news. Park, Diouf, Macheda and Evans getting most of the flak.

Quite liked this comment though:

Quote Originally Posted by Annhiliate Now! View Post
    Fergie should tell Chris Smalling to leave the room, tell Gibson to stand halfway in and halfway out of the room, then let rip. I imagine they will all be better for it.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    455 Posts
    Thought gibson did well and was nice to see him playing deep. Makes a mockery of people who say he is not a player who can control a game. He kept the ball moving constantly and has cut out the hollywood balls. Think he showed he could be one of Traps 2 holding midfielders with an excellent passing range and added creativity(in relative terms to what we have)

6. Thanks From:

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Here's a full statistical analysis of Darron's performance tonight http://sc1sports.com/manchester-unit...ical-analysis/

8. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    I'm not sure. I think in a situation like that it's fair enough to have someone sitting deep, a constant outlet for the ball while those in front can move the defenders around and open up space a little bit. He played a three or four decent balls into the edge of the box which opened things up but usually resulted in someone giving it away/miscontrolling.

Plus he had six or seven Utd players and pretty much 11 Palace players in front of him at all times, 17 players all within thirty/forty yards of Palace's goal so not sure where he could've went beyond playing a one-two before likely being crowded out.

Suppose would be good to see him make the odd darting run but I'm just not sure that's in his game, whether by design or because he doesn't have the courage.

He did look pretty knackered in extra time. To be expected considering it was his first senior game in ages and he shipped a heavy knock in the second half.
    Yeah, I probably should have mentioned I missed the 90 minutes and only saw extra time. I still think he played very deep though and needed him to play five or ten yards further forward.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    401 Posts
    Yeah, I probably should have mentioned I missed the 90 minutes and only saw extra time.
    hehe
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Gibson did fine tonight, at least compared to most of his teammates. Went out of the match at times but was constantly looking to create things.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Yeah, I probably should have mentioned I missed the 90 minutes and only saw extra time. I still think he played very deep though and needed him to play five or ten yards further forward.
    Strikes me he'd probably be simply taking up an area with no space, and inhibiting the seven Utd attackers in front of him, but maybe he could've pushed everyone closer to goal.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    357 Posts
    This bloke Herbert says some very harsh things about Gibson in this article. If he is saying that on this one performance, Ferguson should get rid of Gibson then he mustn't have watched the game. If he is alluding to Gibson's lack of playing time at Utd, then maybe he has a point. What do others think?

http://www.independent.ie/sport/socc...s-2950983.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post
    This bloke Herbert says some very harsh things about Gibson in this article. If he is saying that on this one performance, Ferguson should get rid of Gibson then he mustn't have watched the game. If he is alluding to Gibson's lack of playing time at Utd, then maybe he has a point. What do others think?

I think he made his mind-up in the first half, took a few examples from that, then filed his copy when the incidents arrived after so he could largely spend the second half with his feet up. Lazy.

Gibson was far better than Park, Valencia, Evans, Diouf and Macheda. Pogba's supposed to be the second coming but did very little when he came on. Harsh assessment based on last night though, I overall agree, Gibson's time at Utd's is coming to an end. Hope he's out in January and plays some football.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    I'd say that writer probably took little specific notice of Gibson which is fair enough. I watched the game with my scout cap on (no neckerchief jokes please) and with online voices in my head saying that Gibson is a waste of space and I was looking for reasons to contradict those voices. I found plenty to be honest. Some doubts were confirmed though - an inability to do much beyond the ordinary although constant give and go's and very accurate passing in tight spaces is beyond a lot of players.

In fact my opinion of Gibson is unchanged. I like him and the way he plays, I just wish we could get a bit more out of him. First game of the season is a mitigant though.

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    The same things are being said of Gibson now as of 3 years ago...one paced, doesnt tackle hard enough, doesnt look to be the main man enough and drive the team etc. He still looks like a player with brilliant potential but at 24 hes running out of time to develop that potential and could very easily slip to become another might have been player of the likes of McPhail or Mark Kennedy
    Its really not that complicated!!!

17. Thanks From:

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gastric View Post

"effervescent" "iridescent" "youthful zest"

Guy sounds more like a frustrated wine critic than a football writer.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    The same things are being said of Gibson now as of 3 years ago...one paced, doesnt tackle hard enough, doesnt look to be the main man enough and drive the team etc. He still looks like a player with brilliant potential but at 24 hes running out of time to develop that potential and could very easily slip to become another might have been player of the likes of McPhail or Mark Kennedy
    Keith Andrews wouldn't have liked hearing that, or Paul Green.

People expect too much off Gibson. I know he's from Derry but he's no Liam Coyle.
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

21. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Paul Green or Keith Andrews would never be good enough to play for a club like Man United, Im talking about a player who has potentialto be of the very highest level which Gibson definitely has all the tools to be
    Its really not that complicated!!!

23. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    559 Posts
    Darron needs to be playing regular first team football at this stage. If he is'nt playing regular football at utd he should be looking for a move to club where he will get it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Fletcher's takes a break from football due to medical condition.

While it increases Darron's chances of game time, it also increases the likelihood Fergie will look for midfield reinforcements in January. Although Cleverly and Anderson should be back soonish after the new year I think. Would still rather he got out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    He'll defiantly be seeing some game time now with Fletcher taking the break from football for a while. Hopefully he'll do reasonably enough for him to be put in the shop window for a club where he can get first team football because in all fairness at his age that's what he should be looking for, and it's the only way he will start to progress again.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayern Munchies View Post
    He'll defiantly be seeing some game time now
    Who'd he be defying? You?

28. Thanks From: