Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 84 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 1986

Thread: 2024 Season, Arrivals and Departures

  1. #1661
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    330
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I really think Dundalk hiring someone who knows the league well is a necessity for them otherwise it's a huge gamble for where they are with their mess of a squad, McLaughlin was let go by Derry less than a season after being headhunted to be Higgins assistant that would be a very risky hire by Dundalk for me
    Have Derry improved since McLaughlin left? Considering how underwhelming Derry still are its hard to know how much is down to McLaughlin and how much is down to Higgins. There's also the idea that some managers/coaches are suited more to one role than another e.g. it's agreed that Trevor Crolly is a great coach but wasn't a good manager. Not sure I've seen it work the other way but generally speaking managers don't go back to being assistants if they were good managers but either way McLaughlins cv as a manager seems quite good even if his time at Derry ended so abruptly

  2. #1662
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,300
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,350
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,241
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Why he left Derry 1 year in to a 3 year role for no other job would be interesting to know. My own thoughts on his appointment as Derry assistant was that he was an immediate threat to Higgins and a ready made replacement if Derry under performed - potentially shortening how much time Higgins might be given. He may have just wanted a break from football or they just didnt like each other or maybe he was making too many suggestions on how to improve ... but was all a bit odd from the outside regardless.

  3. #1663
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    330
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Why he left Derry 1 year in to a 3 year role for no other job would be interesting to know. My own thoughts on his appointment as Derry assistant was that he was an immediate threat to Higgins and a ready made replacement if Derry under performed - potentially shortening how much time Higgins might be given. He may have just wanted a break from football or they just didnt like each other or maybe he was making too many suggestions on how to improve ... but was all a bit odd from the outside regardless.
    From what I read he was told he wouldn't be involved in the first team any more and that prompted him to leave. I can understand not wanting to stay somewhere you're not wanted but I wonder why he was removed from the role he was hired from so quickly. Could be as simple as a disagreement on how to train the players and set up the team or something bigger

  4. #1664
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,300
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,350
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,241
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Yup I knew that so no idea why put things like that above, brain fog moment! Same difference in wondering what went on though.

  5. #1665
    International Prospect sbgawa's Avatar
    Joined
    Aug 2016
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    6,295
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    194
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    869
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    From what I read he was told he wouldn't be involved in the first team any more and that prompted him to leave. I can understand not wanting to stay somewhere you're not wanted but I wonder why he was removed from the role he was hired from so quickly. Could be as simple as a disagreement on how to train the players and set up the team or something bigger
    Considering the relative underperformance of Derry for the last year or so and the fact they dont seem to change their approach i can imagine a number 2 constantly suggesting changes would find his way to the door quickly enough.
    He was hardly shown the door for agreeing with Higgins

  6. Thanks From:


  7. #1666
    Reserves
    Joined
    Sep 2022
    Posts
    330
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    53
    Thanked in
    41 Posts
    Exactly, could be a good appointment or a bad one but I'd be hesitant to judge him on his time at Derry.

    In other arrivals news Bohs have announced Alan Moore as first team coach analyst. I know all of those words but I can't say I've seen them used in a single job title before but there certainly needs to be a few fresh perspectives brought in to help turn around the on field performances.

  8. #1667
    Capped Player SkStu's Avatar
    Joined
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    14,020
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    3,384
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    4,838
    Thanked in
    2,643 Posts
    he analyzes the coaches?

    A lot of Shelbourne alumni joining toe set up... two of them called Alan...

  9. #1668
    Like the Fonz. Only a dog. Mr A's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 2004
    Location
    In the gutter, but looking at the stars
    Posts
    11,487
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,735
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    3,312
    Thanked in
    1,524 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    Exactly, could be a good appointment or a bad one but I'd be hesitant to judge him on his time at Derry.

    In other arrivals news Bohs have announced Alan Moore as first team coach analyst. I know all of those words but I can't say I've seen them used in a single job title before but there certainly needs to be a few fresh perspectives brought in to help turn around the on field performances.
    Loved his work with 2000AD, seems a strange appointment though.
    #NeverStopNotGivingUp

  10. Thanks From:


  11. #1669
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,300
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,350
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,241
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr A View Post
    Loved his work with 2000AD, seems a strange appointment though.
    Nerd!

  12. Thanks From:


  13. #1670
    Reserves A N Mouse's Avatar
    Joined
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    835
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    79
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    153
    Thanked in
    101 Posts
    Derry have the squad to be much closer to what has been, by their standards, an under-performing Rovers team. But both teams have pretty much failed to whelm for what 2 seasons? More?

    Higgins is in his third full season, he either wins the league with a bit to spare or he's gone. He could conceivably win the league and still go. How to put it? He's on borrowed time, a busted flush, a hiding to nothing, feck all to lose. Hence putting all his eggs in a Hoban shaped basket. A bigger statement of intent would have been signing the big ginger fecker, but that was never going to happen. Either way the physio was going to earn his coin.

    If I'd done the prediction thread I would have put him down as first manager to go, because if Derry are off the pace he could be gone when they exit Europe.

    But all the clubs would face a similar issue, who do you replace him with? If Paddy had stayed as no2 then that might have worked. But now who Duff? Bradley? Kenny? Last one most likely, and that's remote. Someone from the IL?

    The bigger problem would be without a succession plan Bradley and Rovers would have their pick of this squad. And whoever came in would be looking at another three year plan.

  14. #1671
    Reserves
    Joined
    Feb 2022
    Posts
    252
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    40
    Thanked in
    31 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Another Bohemia View Post
    In other arrivals news Bohs have announced Alan Moore as first team coach analyst. I know all of those words but I can't say I've seen them used in a single job title before but there certainly needs to be a few fresh perspectives brought in to help turn around the on field performances.
    Seems a pretty common role in most clubs in the UK going by a quick Google search at least

  15. #1672
    First Team ToberonaTornado's Avatar
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Faughart,Dundalk.
    Posts
    1,744
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    122
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    276
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Dundalk likely targets are Paddy McLoughlin, Vinny Perth and if we can wait for 2 weeks.... Ruari Higgins.
    Now Vinny basically ruled himself out the other day so that automatically makes him favourite ?

  16. #1673
    Seasoned Pro ger121's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    3,069
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    257
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    564
    Thanked in
    332 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RealJohn91 View Post
    Seems a pretty common role in most clubs in the UK going by a quick Google search at least
    He has plenty of experience in the UK. We need all the help we can get!

  17. #1674
    Seasoned Pro brendy_éire's Avatar
    Joined
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Up the town, Derry
    Posts
    3,801
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    33
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    302
    Thanked in
    224 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by total hoofball View Post
    I really think Dundalk hiring someone who knows the league well is a necessity for them otherwise it's a huge gamble for where they are with their mess of a squad, McLaughlin was let go by Derry less than a season after being headhunted to be Higgins assistant that would be a very risky hire by Dundalk for me
    He was let go, but the circumstances are shrouded in mystery. Higgins has been after him since he got the Derry job, finally did, then maybe fell out with him, according to the rumours. Paddy was let go in December, two months later the club issue a statement on it. All very strange.

    Personally, I think he'd be a great shout for a manager of any club. Fully expect him to be managing us some day.
    He has a decent bit of experience, and has done well everywhere he's gone. Mightn't have managed in the LoI before, but he'll know the league inside out.

    Still in awe over the job he did with Institute when he got them promoted in 2018. Stute had so little money, maybe offering lads 30 quid a week, getting outbid on wages by Inishowen League clubs, and won the league by nine points.
    Last edited by brendy_éire; 12/04/2024 at 4:08 PM.

  18. #1675
    Youth Team
    Joined
    Feb 2023
    Posts
    122
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    29
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    18
    Thanked in
    17 Posts
    Dundalk would be doing very wlel to get McLaughlin, but he'd have to be tempted to wait for something else to pop up sooner or later.

  19. #1676
    International Prospect Nesta99's Avatar
    Joined
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    7,300
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,350
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,241
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Timing could be everything here, a bit further in to the season, a little less patience by Derry to see that squad actually play, and McLaughlin could be sitting in Higgins job looking for his assistant. If you headhunt an assistant you'd expect him to be of a similar thought process on coaching and team. Differences of opinion on some things is a positive in coaching teams and imo a manager should listen to ideas. Unless an assistant is going out of the way to undermine a manager with players or board, or is totally at odds on how to get the best from a talented squad well it is or was very strange and Dundalk fans are pretty used to strange. At this stage, if I had to choose between Hggins or McLaughlin I think i'd be picking McLaughlin and I really felt that Higgins taking the Derry job, well resourced, that past great Derry sides would be surpassed. It shows how much appointing a manager in LoI is often a roll of the dice, takes luck as well as ability especially when you dont have a small towns worth of coaches, scouts and analysts employed.

    I dont expect any particular target to become manager, Im not sure I have preferences for, more than who I wouldnt want. Bit like the Ireland situation, best laid plans and all that, we'll find out in due course and hope it works out once again. News of investment can sway things though what level on investment is of interest not that i think it should be divulged as long as bills are payed etc.
    Last edited by Nesta99; 12/04/2024 at 4:47 PM.

  20. #1677
    First Team
    Joined
    May 2016
    Location
    Limerick
    Posts
    1,163
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    34
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    67
    Thanked in
    58 Posts
    Stephen Henderson sacked

  21. #1678
    International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Killashee Longford
    Posts
    9,419
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    5,645
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    633
    Thanked in
    539 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shearer View Post
    Stephen Henderson sacked
    No surprise really he had stopped doing inteviews. With every passin week fans were gettin less and less interested. I had great time for the bloke as he got in touch with me on facebook about his dad Paddy who played with us in 1960. Its tragic that hes gone now in clubs 100th year.
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

  22. #1679
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    296
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    237
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    I still scratch my head at Longford's decision to sack Daire Doyle when he overachieved getting them promoted in the first place not surprised 3 seasons later that decision is haunting them
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

  23. Thanks From:


  24. #1680
    First Team
    Joined
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,095
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    296
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    237
    Thanked in
    145 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brendy_éire View Post
    He was let go, but the circumstances are shrouded in mystery. Higgins has been after him since he got the Derry job, finally did, then maybe fell out with him, according to the rumours. Paddy was let go in December, two months later the club issue a statement on it. All very strange.

    Personally, I think he'd be a great shout for a manager of any club. Fully expect him to be managing us some day.
    He has a decent bit of experience, and has done well everywhere he's gone. Mightn't have managed in the LoI before, but he'll know the league inside out.

    Still in awe over the job he did with Institute when he got them promoted in 2018. Stute had so little money, maybe offering lads 30 quid a week, getting outbid on wages by Inishowen League clubs, and won the league by nine points.
    Not denying McLaughlin has done ok in NI but it's a different ball game down South in an almost fully professional Premier Division with a Dundalk squad that looks to be a mess of recruitment that it would be a very difficult job even for a seasoned manager with LOI experience to take on. Dundalk can't mess up with their eventual hire otherwise it may be back to the First Division
    Last edited by total hoofball; 14/04/2024 at 8:47 AM.
    The Leinster Senior League needs a strong Bohemians

Page 84 of 100 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. 2023 Season, Arrivals and Departures
    By joey B in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 1778
    Last Post: 30/10/2023, 1:47 AM
  2. 2022 Season, Arrivals and Departures
    By patrickccfc in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 2354
    Last Post: 21/10/2022, 4:52 PM
  3. 2021 Season , Arrivals and departures
    By sbgawa in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 1532
    Last Post: 28/10/2021, 11:41 AM
  4. 2020 season arrivals and departures
    By Martinho II in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 860
    Last Post: 25/10/2020, 9:53 AM
  5. 2020 season arrivals and departures..................Rumours!
    By nr637 in forum Premier & First Divisions
    Replies: 91
    Last Post: 24/11/2019, 10:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •