Results 1,181 to 1,200 of 1620

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

International Prospect CraftyToePoke's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuttgart88 View Post
    And plagiarising a comment I received from a poster here on WhatsApp, it seems Max O'Leary is leading the Championbship save % so far this season (81% I think).
    It was 81.3% yes, its coming from @Between_TL ; Between The lines. I don't know much more beyond that as to how credible they are, they're new to me. Travers was in 7th for example with 71.8%

As s alight aside, Adam Idah leads the division in their effort on target stats comfortably with 87.5% with the next best on 80%.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,226 Posts
    You can see it listed here (it's got more stats, and we all know that the more stats a site has, the more correct it's going to be) - 81.3%. Leicester have a higher save rate, but they've used two keepers, so I presume one keeper played one game and saved every shot, but isn't counted in the overall rankings, and the main keeper (Ward) is under 81.3%. Something like that anyway. Stoke (Travers) in seventh on 71.8%, Bazunu on 23rd on 55%. Obviously that doesn't differentiate between four-on-ones and daisy-cutters straight into your hands. (So PSxG, for example, is +1.2 for O'Leary, -2.2 for Travers and -4.9 for Bazunu)

Site also lists Idah as 87.5% shots on target as you say - an improvement on 12.9% last year (4 from 31 shots being on target). Get your shots on target - first rule of forward play and all that.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Just on O'Leary, I was listening to 5 live over the weekend and the reporter at the Leicester Bristol City game mentioned how he was playing out of his skin, comparing one save in particular to the beloved Banks/Pele save.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    348 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by liamoo11 View Post

The goal is in the first 30 seconds of the highlights. I think there is zero fault here, he closes the angle and the lad has to put it in off the post to score
    Yeah I’d only seen it once on a dodgy stream and I was a bit harsh,not much he else he could have done tbf….
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    Just on O'Leary, I was listening to 5 live over the weekend and the reporter at the Leicester Bristol City game mentioned how he was playing out of his skin, comparing one save in particular to the beloved Banks/Pele save.
    Yeah, I was watching it and he was the difference between a good hiding and a 0-1 to a penalty, it took a Vardy spot kick to beat him. Played really well and Bristol are a point outside the play offs.
    Stephen Kenny Saviour, Leader, Winner, An Autobiography - In All Good Bookstores Now

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    The biggest thing for me with Kelleher is that there is a pressure and mindset that comes with being number 1 at a club, no matter what the level. Its about getting yourself mentally prepared every single game, dealing with lapses in form and digging yourself out, having the ability to organize your defense every week and again dealing with their lapses in form. Theres also the physical aspect of playing every week and dealing with the bumps and bruises you will inevitably pick up. To do that over a period months and years is a totally different thing than just rocking up to the odd cup game and getting praised for making a few good saves behind a good defense.

We've just never seen Kelleher be able to do any of the above because hes never even been on loan for 1 season, so we just dont know. He does seem to pick up quite a few injuries for a back up keeper too, so I do wonder if hes a little fragile physically.

Bazunu has been playing behind a horrific defense for Southampton, he hasnt looked fantastic, but I dont think hes been the reason for Southampton conceding so many goals either. I think he has looked good for Ireland in the main, but at some point with results being bad for his club and country its probably fair to wonder if changing the goalkeeper could make a difference even to the minds of the players around him. Hes still so young in goalkeeping terms to that a break might not be the worst thing for him, but at least we have seen that he has it in him to play regularly, and play well regularly, unlike Kelleher.

Travers is such an odd one. He plays so much football, again for a young keeper, but no one really would fight for him to be our 1st choice. I think its pretty much accepted that hes solid but has limitations, and Im not sure thats really fair on him. I genuinely havent seen enough of O'Leary to say how good or bad he is, but again when hes playing regularly and his stats are good he has to come into consideration.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    I genuinely havent seen enough of O'Leary to say how good or bad he is, but again when hes playing regularly and his stats are good he has to come into consideration.
    I've kept an eye and he has had his share of moments, the usual could maybe have done better goal concessions, has lost his place a number of times but Bristol seem to think he was worth waiting on & keep putting him back in under various managers there. What remains to be seen is if this is a patch of form or if this is how he now is, as a keeper. If its the latter he comes into the Ireland jersey conversation very soon. He is 27 in October, so needs to keep it together from here really. Travers is 24, Bazunu is 21 and Kelleher will be 25 in November.

Re Kelleher, all the others needed adjustment time to first team week in week out, they all had or are having character building moments in the form of errors, if Kelleher needs that also, he hasn't left himself much space time wise for it to be indulged. He also runs the risk of there being a new manager around the time he might expect to take over the gloves, Klopp is there a while now. Would a new guy hang his shot at managing Liverpool on a keeper with so little game time ? It's doubtful I think.
    Last edited by CraftyToePoke; 28/09/2023 at 5:44 PM.

10. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,694 Posts
    Emi Martinez only became a first team goalkeeper about 3 years ago (with some loan spells), though had various loan spells. Matt Turner only became a first choice keeper late in his career - not even a MLS regular at Kelleher's age(?). There's more than one route to the top. Kelleher still has time to become number one at a good club in a good league but I'd prefer the Irish number one to be playing regularly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg
    The biggest thing for me with Kelleher is that there is a pressure and mindset that comes with being number 1 at a club, no matter what the level. Its about getting yourself mentally prepared every single game, dealing with lapses in form and digging yourself out, having the ability to organize your defense every week and again dealing with their lapses in form. Theres also the physical aspect of playing every week and dealing with the bumps and bruises you will inevitably pick up. To do that over a period months and years is a totally different thing than just rocking up to the odd cup game and getting praised for making a few good saves behind a good defense.

We've just never seen Kelleher be able to do any of the above because hes never even been on loan for 1 season, so we just dont know. He does seem to pick up quite a few injuries for a back up keeper too, so I do wonder if hes a little fragile physically.

Bazunu has been playing behind a horrific defense for Southampton, he hasnt looked fantastic, but I dont think hes been the reason for Southampton conceding so many goals either. I think he has looked good for Ireland in the main, but at some point with results being bad for his club and country its probably fair to wonder if changing the goalkeeper could make a difference even to the minds of the players around him. Hes still so young in goalkeeping terms to that a break might not be the worst thing for him, but at least we have seen that he has it in him to play regularly, and play well regularly, unlike Kelleher.
    No he hasn't. He was rewarded for losing his last club game 5-0 before the international break, with his next game against Mbappe and Griezmann. Then he got a bonus game against Gakpo and co, where he recreated Shay Given's famous challenge from 2001. The difference of course is that we won in 2001, while this time the penalty was given, we lost, and it's probably going to cost another one of his manager's their job. That's the reward he gets for playing and losing every week in the pub league.

If he's not the reason why they are where they are, what is the reason? Given he gets regular game time, he must surely bear some responsibility for it. Here, we don't have the players to score three goals to win a match, because that's what we have to do atm. He's already helped get 2 managers sacked last year because he can't keep the ball out of his own net, and he may shortly see off two more. You can't absolve him of all responsibility for that.

Kelleher is going to have 3 games for Liverpool before the Greece game, that's playing relatively regularly by his records. He was even trusted with the captain's armband during the week, but apparantly that's still not enough belief in his ability to play for us, twice a month. If Kenny has any chance of surviving the campaign, things just can't go on as they are. It's time for fresh ideas.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    There are few, if indeed any alternative realities as entertaining as mypostian reality. Gavin Bazunus career represents the graveyard of multiple managers. Very good.

If this were parody it'd be hilarious but the fact that you're actually serious makes it so much funnier.

Don't go changing now, y'hear me ? You'd be missed.

14. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mypost View Post
    No he hasn't. He was rewarded for losing his last club game 5-0 before the international break, with his next game against Mbappe and Griezmann. Then he got a bonus game against Gakpo and co, where he recreated Shay Given's famous challenge from 2001. The difference of course is that we won in 2001, while this time the penalty was given, we lost, and it's probably going to cost another one of his manager's their job. That's the reward he gets for playing and losing every week in the pub league.

If he's not the reason why they are where they are, what is the reason? Given he gets regular game time, he must surely bear some responsibility for it. Here, we don't have the players to score three goals to win a match, because that's what we have to do atm. He's already helped get 2 managers sacked last year because he can't keep the ball out of his own net, and he may shortly see off two more. You can't absolve him of all responsibility for that.

Kelleher is going to have 3 games for Liverpool before the Greece game, that's playing relatively regularly by his records. He was even trusted with the captain's armband during the week, but apparantly that's still not enough belief in his ability to play for us, twice a month. If Kenny has any chance of surviving the campaign, things just can't go on as they are. It's time for fresh ideas.
    Bazunu is twice the goalie Kelleher is. He's not going to be replaced by a part time goalie any time soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts

Thats just a bizarre rant, much of it incoherent tbh and capped by calling the Championship a pub league.

17. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    Bazunu is twice the goalie Kelleher is. He's not going to be replaced by a part time goalie any time soon.
    Ludicrous comment. Maybe Bazunu will keep his place, but that will be on the basis of form not any inherent superiority. I'll ask a few Liverpool fans whether they fancy swapping Kelleher for Bazunu. Do you fancy predicting the result?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    Ludicrous comment. Maybe Bazunu will keep his place, but that will be on the basis of form not any inherent superiority. I'll ask a few Liverpool fans whether they fancy swapping Kelleher for Bazunu. Do you fancy predicting the result?
    Liverpool fans opinion on it are irrelevant because they would pick their player over prime Peter Schmeichael if it came to it. Kelleher is a part time keeper right now, and until that changes he cant be taken seriously are long term 1st choice for Ireland. Talent wise he possibly could be, 5-10 games a season isnt gonna cut it though

20. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    550 Posts
    That's the reward he gets for playing and losing every week in the pub league.
    Quote Originally Posted by weldoninhio View Post
    We've got the far left and the far right above. curious to see how Kelleher plays on Thursday but a good performance could certainly see him play for Ireland. I think Bazunu's form at club level, combined with his slight dip in performances at international level, mean that it's a reasonable question as to who will start... Think i'd marginally lean Kelleher but i don't feel at all sure, you've got two very talented keepers, neither of whom i feel confident will make the saves needed to win us matches. Both have conceded slightly soft goals at international level. Bazunu has conceded a lot of goals at club level, with a few bad ones thrown in, and his confidence is shot. I'd back him to come out the other side of it, but I don't think he's there yet.

Liverpool fans opinion on it are irrelevant because they would pick their player over prime Peter Schmeichael if it came to it. Kelleher is a part time keeper right now, and until that changes he cant be taken seriously are long term 1st choice for Ireland. Talent wise he possibly could be, 5-10 games a season isnt gonna cut it though
    prime Peter has become very very very overrated with hindsight. in his 8 years in the league, he made the PFA team of the season once. it's because he was part of that United side and because of all the footage of him bollocking his defenders, and the fact he won the treble and the european cup in his last act as a United player, the legend far outweighs the quality of the player.

PFA goalkeeper in the team of the season:

1992 Tony Cotton
    1993 Peter S
    1994 Tim Flowers
    1995 Tim Flowers
    1996 David James
    1997 David Seaman
    1998 Nigel Martin
    1999 Nigel Martin

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    TBH I just picked Schmeichael randomly as a top goalkeeper that wasnt Liverpool. My point is more that they can be very biased

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    That's one perspective, but equally many fans would want their team to have the best players. My point is that Liverpool fans don't question Kelleher's ability in the way that he is criticised on this forum, or in the way that they consistently criticised Adrian as not being good enough. It's one of the strange aspects of this debate, that as Bazunu's form dips his supporters become increasingly extreme and irrational in their criticism of Kelleher. I don't even know what your second sentence means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    That's one perspective, but equally many fans would want their team to have the best players. My point is that Liverpool fans don't question Kelleher's ability in the way that he is criticised on this forum, or in the way that they consistently criticised Adrian as not being good enough. It's one of the strange aspects of this debate, that as Bazunu's form dips his supporters become increasingly extreme and irrational in their criticism of Kelleher. I don't even know what your second sentence means.
    There is a grand total of Zero Liverpool fans that are calling for Kelleher to be 1st choice at the club. They are delighted to have a lad sit on the bench all season who is good enough to step in the odd time to rest their main guy. Thats a very different conversation to whats had on this forum about who should be our first choice, Im quite happy for him to sit on the Ireland bench too.

The 2nd sentence meant that Kelleher might be talented but until he plays regular football he shouldnt be considered as 1st choice for us.

25. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    206 Posts
    There is a grand total of Zero Liverpool fans that are calling for Kelleher to be 1st choice at the club. They are delighted to have a lad sit on the bench all season who is good enough to step in the odd time to rest their main guy. Thats a very different conversation to whats had on this forum about who should be our first choice, Im quite happy for him to sit on the Ireland bench too.

The 2nd sentence meant that Kelleher might be talented but until he plays regular football he shouldnt be considered as 1st choice for us.
    Your analogy only has any validity if you are suggesting that Bazunu is as good as Alison, which I assume you are not. The comparison is between Kelleher and Bazunu not Kelleher and Alison. You’re moving the goalposts somewhat. The latter sentence also implies that no player who is not getting regular football should be considered for selection irrespective of their talent or competition. You’re rather making my point for me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    848 Posts
    I'll repeat what I said in earlier post. We don't know if Kelleher can be a number 1 keeper at any level because he's never played as a number 1 at any level. The guy is now in his mid 20s so can't even really be considered a young prospect any more. Have him go and play a season of football somewhere and learn to be a professional footballer rather than a part timer and then whether he should become Irelands number 1 becomes a relevant discussion.

28. Thanks From:

Page 60 of 81 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast