Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast
Results 1,141 to 1,160 of 1620

Thread: Caoimhín Kelleher GK Liverpool b.1998

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    438 Posts
    I'd say there was more chance of Kelleher leaving than Leopold Wahlstedt being considered by Liverpool. If they ever had any intention of letting Kelleher leave this season I don't think they would have kept Adrian on.

More so if they were gonna bring in an outside replacement. They likely need Kelleher to fill the homegrown quota and teams are only allowed 17 non home grown players and Adrian takes up one of those spots. Don't think they would have wanted two keepers taking up spots.

Could always promote from within and that Keeper could well cover the homegrown spot but this late in the window I doubt it as most teams would already have their keepers sorted with the season soon.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JR89 View Post
    I'd say there was more chance of Kelleher leaving than Leopold Wahlstedt being considered by Liverpool. If they ever had any intention of letting Kelleher leave this season I don't think they would have kept Adrian on.

More so if they were gonna bring in an outside replacement. They likely need Kelleher to fill the homegrown quota and teams are only allowed 17 non home grown players and Adrian takes up one of those spots. Don't think they would have wanted two keepers taking up spots.

Could always promote from within and that Keeper could well cover the homegrown spot but this late in the window I doubt it as most teams would already have their keepers sorted with the season soon.
    Yeah, from people I’d actually trust, they really wanted Verbruggen from Anderlecht - who is young enough not to need to be registered this season. But he ended up going to Brighton to be first choice there.

Then they were interested in getting Zieler across from Germany to replace Adrian because he counts as homegrown due to his academy background with United, but he wasn’t keen.

They’re a bit ****ed with homegrown players having lost Henderson, Milner, Oxlade-Chamberlain, with Phillips likely to leave. So they just have 4 left out of a possible 8 (Gomez, Trent, Jones, Kelleher). Which basically gives them a senior squad (2001 or later) of 21 players.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Don't think they'll be allowing him to leave, which is within their right since he's under contract and Klopp seems to really rate him. Not for good for Kelleher but every top club needs a quality back up, Ionut Radu cost Inter Milan the title to AC a few years back, don't think Liverpool would be comfortable with Adrian as number 2.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    164 Posts
    Kelleher seems to be trapped by the price tag Liverpool have put on him. Forest have signed Matt Turner (Arsenal, 22 caps for the USA) for £7m plus potential add-ons of £3m.

https://www.thisisanfield.com/2023/0...-selling-no-1/

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    A combination of that and his lack of senior football experience I think. He's paying the price now for not getting even a single season out on loan a few years ago to build up his experience.
    Keane O'Shea Given Best Smallbone

6. Thanks From:

International Prospect Razors left peg's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    A combination of that and his lack of senior football experience I think. He's paying the price now for not getting even a single season out on loan a few years ago to build up his experience.
    Its actually odd that he didnt even go on loan for half a season. Im trying to think of high level goalkeepers who were #2s at big clubs for long time before stepping on to be top class and I can only really think of Martinez at Villa off the top of my head, but even he had multiple loans while he was at Arsenal.

Kelleher situation is just strange.
    Its really not that complicated!!!

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    Have Liverpool treated Kelleher correctly ( career wise ) over the years = = Tis a very very debatable question.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    351 Posts
    But its up to the player himself to force the issue if he's not getting opportunities,if he really wanted to go somewhere he'd be gone,that he hasnt even gone on loan would have me question whether he's maybe just happy enough to be in the situation he's in.....
    Last edited by joey B; 09/08/2023 at 6:38 PM.
    Irish by birth ,Harps by the grace of god.

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joey B View Post
    But its up to the player himself to force the issue if he's not geting oppertunities,if he really wanted to go somewhere he'd be gone,that he hasnt even gone on loan would have me question whether he's maybe just happy enough to be in the situation he's in.....
    There has to be legitimate conversations soon about O'Leary taking Kellehers place in Ireland squad if the situation continues. Bazunu, Travers, and O'Leary playing regularly in Championship while Kelleher gets 3 or 4 cup games again is unsustainable for him.

12. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    O'Leary isn't particularly good though, he is seen as one of the weakest first team players at Bristol City. Kelleher is almost certainly a much better keeper, albeit he doesn't play much.

While I'd much rather see him going out and playing, even in the Championship or Scotland or wherever, I don't think it would be right to drop him for a weaker keeper either.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    There has to be legitimate conversations soon about O'Leary taking Kellehers place in Ireland squad if the situation continues. Bazunu, Travers, and O'Leary playing regularly in Championship while Kelleher gets 3 or 4 cup games again is unsustainable for him.

That's a really flawed argument. If he stays at Liverpool and remains their No2 then it's because Klopp is confident he can step in for Alison whenever and do a job in the highest calibre league in World football for one of its leading teams. So by what different and superior criteria should Kenny decide, he's not good enough to deputise for Bazunu? Maybe Klopp should demote him and buy O'Leary as his number 2?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by third policeman View Post
    That's a really flawed argument. If he stays at Liverpool and remains their No2 then it's because Klopp is confident he can step in for Alison whenever and do a job in the highest calibre league in World football for one of its leading teams. So by what different and superior criteria should Kenny decide, he's not good enough to deputise for Bazunu? Maybe Klopp should demote him and buy O'Leary as his number 2?
    Hes a footballer, a footballer should at some point of his career play football if he wants to be considered for international football

16. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    168 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Razors left peg View Post
    Hes a footballer, a footballer should at some point of his career play football if he wants to be considered for international football
    He'd be third choice for me. I think he has by and large been unconvincing bordering on poor in his Ireland appearances. His complete lack of games is not going to help win hearts and minds, I'd say only those with a strong bias would back him over Gav.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    There's not playing and there is not playing and he is not playing.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    772 Posts
    Actually we're just coming into the peak playing season for Caoimhin now. He'll get a Carabao Cup game in September, possibly another one in October and, at a push, a quarter final before Christmas. He might even get a dead rubber Europa League game if he's lucky.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Im not saying he should be dropped for the September games but the conversation is approaching at some point this season I think. Especially if O'Leary becomes part of a playoff push for Bristol and is playing well. I've honestly not seen enough of O'Leary to know if hes any good, but if hes playing for a good Championship team each week then he must be ok.

The logic of Kelleher is a back up to a good goalkeeper at a good club runs out after a while. At 25 years old any footballer needs to know if he can actually handle playing each week. Theres a sharpness that comes from playing games regularly that Kelleher wont develop.
    Last edited by Razors left peg; 10/08/2023 at 4:54 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    551 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eirambler View Post
    Actually we're just coming into the peak playing season for Caoimhin now. He'll get a Carabao Cup game in September, possibly another one in October and, at a push, a quarter final before Christmas. He might even get a dead rubber Europa League game if he's lucky.
    i understand why they want to keep him (issues around quantity of homegrown players, no competitive bids, availability of quality replacement). i think had they been able to get verbruggen to sign, they'd have sold Kelleher, but once he was offered first team football at brighton, he went there.

if i was klopp, i'd play kelleher in everything bar the league. europa league, caribao cup, fa cup. and reassess before the january deadline. europa league is a bit of poisoned chalice with thursday-sunday games a real struggle, for whatever reason. i'd let the second string lads play the europa league and keep everyone else fresh

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    565 Posts
    Kelleher could turn out to be the best Keeper that hardly ever played.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    484 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zero View Post
    He'd be third choice for me. I think he has by and large been unconvincing bordering on poor in his Ireland appearances. His complete lack of games is not going to help win hearts and minds, I'd say only those with a strong bias would back him over Gav.
    This is the most important point. When called apon for Ireland he has been average. If he wasn't playing for Liverpool and still brilliant for us, then it's a conversation. But he's not been good for us

Third choice for me

25. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    858 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seanfhear View Post
    Kelleher could turn out to be the best Keeper that hardly ever played.
    Im old fashioned, I like players to actually play at some point in their career, crazy idea I know!

27. Thanks From:

Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast