Thread: League of Ireland in Europe 2019

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    61 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    The ever reliable Wikipedia also lists the surface as "grass"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalga_Arena
    Is it the same as the grass that the lads in the shed have?
    Mon the Town!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArFella View Post
    Is it the same as the grass that the lads in the shed have?
    Qarabag seem to use loads of different stadiums. The one they're playing Dundalk in seems like it used to be artificial pitch but was converted to grass a few years back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Really? Their manager was complaining about playing on an artificial pitch at Oriel before the first leg so I'd be amazed/confused if they turned around and played on an artificial surface.

EDIT: According to UEFA the match is being played in the Dalga Arena and after some digging I found this article which mentions it changed from artificial turf to natural prior to hosting the UEFA u17s Championship in 2016

http://www.affa.az/index.php/news/da...d-photos/57379
    I was wondering about that myself. Dunno whether it's true or not but the rumour was that they werent happy with the changing rooms and left Oriel to go back to the hotel to get ready and that their manager was moaning about the pitch. General consensus was that it was all a good thing if they weren't feeling too much at home during their away leg!!

The incident where their keeper misjudged the bounce of the ball everyone on the Carrick Road end could see happening in almost slow motion. He came out to collect the high ball dropping but never looked like getting there, you could even see the spin on the ball and that its was going to move goalward if it bounced. Better anticipation from Dundalk players and it could have fashioned a chance. People would have been pointing at the pitch for the keepers error but he completely misjudged the flight of the ball and if was playing on sand would still have been in bother. He spilled a couple of shots too so should be tested early on in the away leg!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 26/07/2019 at 3:45 PM.

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Qarabag seem to use loads of different stadiums. The one they're playing Dundalk in seems like it used to be artificial pitch but was converted to grass a few years back
    I know that some have doubted your reading and comprehension abilities in the past, but that is surely dispelled now.

Being able to paraphrase ArFella's earlier post so concisely is impressive

Really? Their manager was complaining about playing on an artificial pitch at Oriel before the first leg so I'd be amazed/confused if they turned around and played on an artificial surface.

EDIT: According to UEFA the match is being played in the Dalga Arena and after some digging I found this article which mentions it changed from artificial turf to natural prior to hosting the UEFA u17s Championship in 2016

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PartySaint View Post
    This Rovers vs Dundalk Europa League final is going to be mental.
    Play the final in Tallaght - if Dundalk won the toss to be the home side Asterix would spontaneously combust!!
    Last edited by Nesta99; 26/07/2019 at 5:54 PM.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    I know that some have doubted your reading and comprehension abilities in the past, but that is surely dispelled now.

Being able to paraphrase ArFella's earlier post so concisely is impressive
    This may be a bit beyond your limited brain capacity but try keep up. I saw ArFellas post before it was edited, the thread then moved onto the next page and I didn't go back through the whole thread to see if anyone had edited their reply to mention it before posting my reply, sue me, or better yet just **** off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    364 Posts

I may have got that wrong then re Qarabag and their pitch.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    875 Posts
    7 of 35 listed football grounds in Azerbaijan have artificial pitches so Qarabag are undoubtedly well used to them. Eh the Ganja Stadium is most definitely grass!

9. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    This may be a bit beyond your limited brain capacity but try keep up. I saw ArFellas post before it was edited, the thread then moved onto the next page and I didn't go back through the whole thread to see if anyone had edited their reply to mention it before posting my reply, sue me, or better yet just **** off.
    Relax RH, I think you did very well

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    649 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Play the final in Tallaght - if Dundalk won the toss to be the home side Asterix was spontaneously combust!!
    Play the final in a neutral venue , the DCCS or Inchicore , actually to hell with it lets go for the Aviva

International Prospect Martinho II's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    537 Posts
    Was the Shamrock Rovers game a complete sellout lads and what was the attendance?
    a friend of mine posted online that Eir have an annoying habit of having the crowd noise a lot lower than it should be! and there was I thinking it was the quality of my TV when watching the Dundalk game live!
    Gary Cronin is he the right man to manage Longford Town?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Bradley has won 40% of his games as manager in Europe, quite impressive, here's how he rates among LOI managers that managed at least 10 games in Europe:

MANAGER GAMES WIN%
    Paul Doolin 12 42%
    Stephen Bradley 10 40%
    Pat Fenlon 35 31%
    Pete Mahon 10 30%
    Royden Prole 10 30%
    Stephen Kenny 44 27%
    John Caulfield 16 25%
    Damien Richardson 32 22%
    Liam Buckley 26 19%
    Michael O'Neill 16 19%
    Billy Young 22 18%
    Dave Bacuzzi 12 17%
    Liam Tuohy 14 14%
    Jim McLaughlin 28 14%
    Gerry Doyle 11 9%
    Dermot Keely 18 6%
    Turlough O'Connor 20 0%
    The legendary Pat Dolan seems to be missing - last season's Airtricity League european competitions media guide credited him with an identical win record as Paul Doolin with 5 wins from 12 matches

14. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martinho II View Post
    Was the Shamrock Rovers game a complete sellout lads and what was the attendance?
    a friend of mine posted online that Eir have an annoying habit of having the crowd noise a lot lower than it should be! and there was I thinking it was the quality of my TV when watching the Dundalk game live!
    5,524 was the official attendance given. There were probably only around 24 away fans there.

Don't think Eir actually do that, it's just when you're in the middle of it all it obviously seems louder.

16. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    How are Qarabag a fair step above Limassol. It obviouly hard to judge since they havn't played each other and aren't in the same league but their european records are fairly similar, both regualrs in group stages and get some decent results against some better known teams.
    LOL, did you see both games? Qarabag could have scored 4 goals in the first half alone, and were streets ahead of Dundalk. That's why Dundalk did so well to get a result in that game. It was the way Qarabag were set up, their linkage and passing that shows they are a class team.

Limassol were well beatable in the Rovers game, id be disappointed if Rovers had not have gotten the win in the end. And they didn't look half the team Qarabag are. I wouldn't be surprised if Rovers snatched a result in Cyprus.

Games are not won or lost on paper...........

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    LOL, did you see both games? Qarabag could have scored 4 goals in the first half alone, and were streets ahead of Dundalk. That's why Dundalk did so well to get a result in that game. It was the way Qarabag were set up, their linkage and passing that shows they are a class team.

Limassol were well beatable in the Rovers game, id be disappointed if Rovers had not have gotten the win in the end. And they didn't look half the team Qarabag are. I wouldn't be surprised if Rovers snatched a result in Cyprus.

Games are not won or lost on paper...........
    You can't really judge who's the tougher opponent based off how they performed against the LOI sides. Personally think they're pretty equal, as are Rovers and Dundalk, Qarabag have a much easier league which helps their coefficient as they've won 6 leagues in a row so that's 6 years of champions league coefficient points but they both have similar records as far as reaching group stages goes with 4 europa group appearances each since 2010 and Qarabag have a champion league group appearance in addition to that, so in my opinion there's not much between them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    The legendary Pat Dolan seems to be missing - last season's Airtricity League european competitions media guide credited him with an identical win record as Paul Doolin with 5 wins from 12 matches
    Well spotted! Modified it now. Don't know how I missed him. He is there in my records, just forgot to add him I suppose. Cheers!

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    You can't really judge who's the tougher opponent based off how they performed against the LOI sides. Personally think they're pretty equal, as are Rovers and Dundalk, Qarabag have a much easier league which helps their coefficient as they've won 6 leagues in a row so that's 6 years of champions league coefficient points but they both have similar records as far as reaching group stages goes with 4 europa group appearances each since 2010 and Qarabag have a champion league group appearance in addition to that, so in my opinion there's not much between them.

Well I disagree, looking at both teams for the first time I think Qarabag are as good a team as Dundalk have played in recent times, up there with that Russian team and Legia were good in parts, any of the Cypriot teams that have played LOI teams in the past have always looked beatable. Don't care about stats, sorry.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    Well I disagree, looking at both teams for the first time I think Qarabag are as good a team as Dundalk have played in recent times, up there with that Russian team and Legia were good in parts, any of the Cypriot teams that have played LOI teams in the past have always looked beatable. Don't care about stats, sorry.
    There are far too many variables involved to form an option based of one game. Using more than one piece of data to form your opinion is literally rule number one of analysis.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    This is a nonsensical comparison.

Your perception or measurement of 'pretty equal' is obviously suspect when you declare Rovers and Dundalk in that category despite the current 5 point / game-in-hand gap, a whopping 25 point gap last season and an average of over 17 points a season over the last 6 years.

The current Bert kassie UEFA 5-year Club Ranking 2020 comparison is equally conclusive with Dundalk (8.500 points) having over double the Rovers ranking points (3.750)
    0.50 0.25 0.50 1.00 1.50 3.750
    1.00 3.00 1.00 1.50 2.00 8.500

If you feel unable to judge the respective qualities of Apollan Limasol and Qarabeg on the subjective evidence of the matches this week, a similar UEFA 5-year Club Ranking comparison is fairly conclusive. While both teams have qualified in each of the last 5 years, Qarabag have been significantly the higher acheivers with 19.000 ranking points

3.00 5.00 6.00 3.00 2.00 19.000

1.00 1.00 3.00 5.00 1.50 11.500

Rovers achievement in beating Apollan on Thursday was brilliant. Celebrate it and look forward to the realistic possibility of qualifying for the next round. The Apollan - Qarabag nonsensical comparison is not necessary to try to elevate what is widely acknowledged as a tremendous result

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    This is a nonsensical comparison.

Your perception or measurement of 'pretty equal' is obviously suspect when you declare Rovers and Dundalk in that category despite the current 5 point / game-in-hand gap, a whopping 25 point gap last season and an average of over 17 points a season over the last 6 years.

The current Bert kassie UEFA 5-year Club Ranking 2020 comparison is equally conclusive with Dundalk (8.500 points) having over double the Rovers ranking points (3.750)
    0.50 0.25 0.50 1.00 1.50 3.750
    1.00 3.00 1.00 1.50 2.00 8.500

If you feel unable to judge the respective qualities of Apollan Limasol and Qarabeg on the subjective evidence of the matches this week, a similar UEFA 5-year Club Ranking comparison is fairly conclusive. While both teams have qualified in each of the last 5 years, Qarabag have been significantly the higher acheivers with 19.000 ranking points

3.00 5.00 6.00 3.00 2.00 19.000

1.00 1.00 3.00 5.00 1.50 11.500

Rovers achievement in beating Apollan on Thursday was brilliant. Celebrate it and look forward to the realistic possibility of qualifying for the next round. The Apollan - Qarabag nonsensical comparison is not necessary to try to elevate what is widely acknowledged as a tremendous result
    All the games between the two clubs have been pretty even, even the one when rovers were missing half a squad. There was nothing in either game in Tallaght. I feel safe in saying a neutral would call Dundalk and Rovers pretty even.

Who's better Porto or Ajax?
    QED

It's not nonsensical, Qarabag have basically guaranteed access to the Champions league every year because the rest of the league is pretty poor whereas in Cyprus there's Larnaca and Apoel to compete with so they don't have that safety net so have to win every round to get into the groups.

24. Thanks From:

Page 56 of 87 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast