Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast

Thread: LoI in Europe 2018

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    382 Posts
    Decent game last night and a fair result. AEK are a good outfit, had plenty of the ball, but definitely lacking a little bit of cutting edge up front. Duffy had a great chance prob around 20 mins, possibly should have scored, Hoban and Duffy again all had more chances, but so they AEK.

0-0 home draw is not the worst result, that’s only Hajduk Split who have beaten Dundalk at Oriel now under Kenny (and Dlk won the away game), unbeaten v Bate, Esch, FH, Rosenborg, Levadia & AEK, not too many wins mind, only Esch and Levadia.

Also read this am, Dundalk have scored in 9 of the last 10 euro away games, that’s a decent record, obviously need to score away, wouldn’t fancy 0-0 after 180 mins in that heat, I think we can get a result, but AEK will be favs now.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Disappointing that the ref booked Hoban for remonstrating about being spat at by a Larnaca player.

Say what you like about other teams in this league but being spat at is not something players have to put up with.

3. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Hands up, you got him good there. It's deserved.
    Eh no he just proved my point around negativity and low expectations Kingdom. Stop following me around the www you dirty perverted voyeur :P.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 27/07/2018 at 10:16 AM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    It only adds to the league coefficient. Not to Dundalks coefficient. I assume you will disappear from this forum again after next week for another year?
    Hes a regular poster on foot.ie from what i can remember.

Must be very bitter down in Cork

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pineapple stu View Post
    Santa Coloma 1-0 Valur in tonight's main upset. Valur - who were 60 seconds from knocking out Rosenborg last week - were shocking and deserved nothing tonight. Funny aul game!
    Now where has our Icelandic cheerleader gone?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    It will be higher, it will be mid 30s, possibly mid to late 30s.

Is that draw a 0.5 in co-effs. What would Dundalk need to get this year to be Seeded 1st in the 2nd round next year, or in CL Champions path round 1/2 next year?
    Dundalk were seeded in EL QR1 (cut off 2.900) and QR2 (cut off 5.000) this year - that won't change for next year in the EL based on their current coefficient of 7.000.

In the extreme hypothetical situation where Dundalk win the league this year - then their own co-efficient is good enough as it stands to have them seeded in the CL QR1 next year (Cut off 2018: 3.750) but it would not be good enough for QR2. (Cut off for 2018 14.000)

However if Dundalk in this mega hypothetical situation did win the league and as a seeded team in QR1 it follows that they would have a great chance of making the EL group stages.

Assume they win CLQR1, lose CLQR2, drop down to the ELQR3 as a seed, and win that round - they would be 1 tie away from the group stages and that is just following their seeding. Of course they can be lucky and unlucky in terms of the draw and it is rarely as simple as that.

Cork City of course are going to retain the league title this season ( I have to be positive ) - so the above is a purely hypothetical.

I would expect the cut off for seeded in the CL to rise slightly next year so our current co-efficient of 3.750 would be on the cusp of being potentially seeded IMO - progression to ELQR4 this year would bring it up to 4.250 and be potentially good enough. A ranking of 3.750 would be good enough probably (but not definitely) for us to be seeded in ELQR1 but certainly not ELQR2 for next year but that probably doesn't matter.

Confused? Good.
    Last edited by Real ale Madrid; 27/07/2018 at 11:02 AM.

8. Thanks From:

International Prospect passinginterest's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    430 Posts
    Very interesting game. Before the game I thought Dundalk's best tactic would be to play very high tempo and press them early and that seemed to be the way they set out. If anything that back fired a bit though, Larnaca didn't panic and killed the tempo early on and Dundalk seemed to be rushing things in comparison to their normal game. Overall I'd have said Larnaca were just about the better team, but playing away, in what's bound to be a slower tempo game, might actually help Dundalk to an extent. They'll sit a bit deeper, try and slow it down and retain the ball when they have it, invite Larnaca on a bit and hit them more on the break where the pace of Duffy, Connolly etc. can really be maximized. I'd agree that Dundalk looked a bit too open in the middle, Benson wants to bomb on a little bit too much, and McGrath's main job is meant to be linking play and getting close to the striker which left an awful lot for Shiels to do (which he did extremely well in the circumstances). It's a huge task in the away leg, but a score draw is definitely possible.

Tallaght Stadium Regular

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    86 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oriel View Post
    Decent game last night and a fair result. AEK are a good outfit, had plenty of the ball, but definitely lacking a little bit of cutting edge up front. Duffy had a great chance prob around 20 mins, possibly should have scored, Hoban and Duffy again all had more chances, but so they AEK.

0-0 home draw is not the worst result, that’s only Hajduk Split who have beaten Dundalk at Oriel now under Kenny (and Dlk won the away game), unbeaten v Bate, Esch, FH, Rosenborg, Levadia & AEK, not too many wins mind, only Esch and Levadia.

Also read this am, Dundalk have scored in 9 of the last 10 euro away games, that’s a decent record, obviously need to score away, wouldn’t fancy 0-0 after 180 mins in that heat, I think we can get a result, but AEK will be favs now.
    Dundalk did well last night & were unlucky not to grab a goal from one of their chances.
    AEK are a tidy outfit & fast on the break. They had players missing last night which may be back for next week. They will also have an extra week of fitness.
    Dundalk have a good chance next week but what might catch them is the heat as its expected to be very hot out there.
    Expected to be in the mid 30's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    81 Posts
    Did Dundalk not play some matches during our own heatwave? May not have been 45 degrees celsius, but was pushing 25-30. In general, this was the warmest summer for between 20 and 40 years. Those little things should stand to them, I feel. Still annoyed that Duffy didn't score on 11 mins. A 1 nil win for Dundalk would have been massive. There's a time and place to be a 'fancy dan' and that chance wasn't one of those times. If they get chances in Cyprus, maybe a simple finish would suffice.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breaki...ed-858129.html
    Clearly timed to add to the pressure on the GAA surrounding Pairc Ui Chaoimh but I'm glad to hear we'd be moving to Limerick rather than Dublin. I'm no fan of Thomond Park but I'd much prefer to play a 'home' game there rather than in Dublin. Plus with some EL group games starting at 6pm getting to Limerick would be easier for people in the City and west of the City than Dublin. Especially with rush hour traffic around Dublin.

Hopefully if we do get to these games the PUC issue is resolved and we can keep the games in Cork. I think we would probably need to move a playoff round game too. It is quite possible that we get that far this year. Maybe 40% as we'd still be underdogs vs Rosenborg but definitely a real possibility.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    Clearly timed to add to the pressure on the GAA surrounding Pairc Ui Chaoimh but I'm glad to hear we'd be moving to Limerick rather than Dublin. I'm no fan of Thomond Park but I'd much prefer to play a 'home' game there rather than in Dublin. Plus with some EL group games starting at 6pm getting to Limerick would be easier for people in the City and west of the City than Dublin. Especially with rush hour traffic around Dublin.

Hopefully if we do get to these games the PUC issue is resolved and we can keep the games in Cork. I think we would probably need to move a playoff round game too. It is quite possible that we get that far this year. Maybe 40% as we'd still be underdogs vs Rosenborg but definitely a real possibility.
    It would be sad enough if/when we have to move a game to Thomond. Anyway its better than the alternative which would be Dublin.

14. Thanks From:

International Prospect NeverFeltBetter's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    586 Posts
    Limerick City will finally have a team in Europe. Pat O'Sullivan will be thrilled.
    Author of Never Felt Better (History, Film Reviews).

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Real ale Madrid View Post
    It would be sad enough if/when we have to move a game to Thomond. Anyway its better than the alternative which would be Dublin.
    Especially when theres a stadium that seats 21k built with public funding only a couple of kilometers from Turners Cross sitting idle. I think the only way we get to use PUC is if we first move a game and we get similar uproar to what we've seen over the past two weeks. The money lost to the city would be criminal. Thats before you think about Cork City fans having to travel on a week day for a 6pm kick off in Limerick on bad roads.
    In an ideal world we'd get a derogation to play all of our games in TX but thats unlikely. Next best option is PUC but thats less likely.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts

Any decision made around the Liam miller game, would be an exemption, they couldn't change to open up the ground before congress, which has already was being reported as having being widely rejected in 2017. I don't see why they should open their grounds either to be honest. Same as i don't see why gaa should be played on football pitches.

What criteria do Cork not meet for a play-off game? Munster FA own turners cross do they? Effectively meaning FAI owned?
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    I thought having to play Europa League games in Dublin would be a disaster for the club. However, it turned out to be great. Dundalk attracted a lot of new support from Dublin and Leinster and many of those people are now coming to games in Oriel and when we play away in Dublin.

Playing in Limerick would allow Cork to spread their support further afield.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Ya but would Dundalk have conceded 2 goals back in Oriel? It was a good mix of poles there as well actually, would have been good if some of them had decided to follow Dundalk/local Loi club after. Hearing the champions league music in the Avivia was something special though.

Turners Cross is a much bigger capacity than Oriel Park as well, would Cork City realistically get more than 7k for the games anyway? Unless its a big Premiership club. It makes less sense for Cork to move than it did for Dundalk.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts

Given the negativity around the game for Liam Miller RIP I doubt you would get much joy from Cork bog ballers regarding PUC. would be a pity to take such games out of Cork but Thomond is probably a better option than Dublin. lets hope it becomes a problem for group games !

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by marinobohs View Post
    Given the negativity around the game for Liam Miller RIP I doubt you would get much joy from Cork bog ballers regarding PUC. would be a pity to take such games out of Cork but Thomond is probably a better option than Dublin. lets hope it becomes a problem for group games !
    It's all about the "small ball" in Cork, not the other bigger boggier kind .
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Any decision made around the Liam miller game, would be an exemption, they couldn't change to open up the ground before congress, which has already was being reported as having being widely rejected in 2017. I don't see why they should open their grounds either to be honest. Same as i don't see why gaa should be played on football pitches.

What criteria do Cork not meet for a play-off game? Munster FA own turners cross do they? Effectively meaning FAI owned?
    Amount of public money poured into the redevelopment of PUC. Having those match(es) in Cork would be a big boost for the whole City (not just financially). Public money should be utilized for all the people of Cork, but maybe an argument for a different thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    774 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    I thought having to play Europa League games in Dublin would be a disaster for the club. However, it turned out to be great. Dundalk attracted a lot of new support from Dublin and Leinster and many of those people are now coming to games in Oriel and when we play away in Dublin.

Playing in Limerick would allow Cork to spread their support further afield.
    Limerick people don't even support Limerick - we've no chance of expanding our support base imo.

Page 45 of 69 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast