Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: New owners at dundalk

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Dundalk and Enviorns is about 70,000 people, add in the likes of Mid Louth eg Ardee, Dunleer, East Monaghan like Carrickmacross, South Down and Armagh and it would push immediate catchment to about 100k. So not that small by Irish standards and there is growth potential within the catchment. People from areas further afield have taken to supporting Dundalk due to a number of reasons but not sure how significant that would be to overall support. There are the benefits of being on the M1 half way between the 2 major urban centres on the island. That may not have too much bearing on support of Dundalk FC directly but could be seen as growth potential especially for people that are not particularly familiar with the lie of the land on how 'tribal' football supporters are here. Its just a potential market base.
    A one club town of significant size could have its appeal over the less distinguishable areas of support in Dublin say. Try explaining the historical supporting hotbeds of Rovers and Shels for example, outside their current locations. 5 club in Dublin, Bray and even Drogheda are within the city's enviorns! Its nearly as quick from the airport to Dundalk these days at busy times as Dalymount to the airport for jetsetting executives doing their transfer dealings ;P
    There is development potential at Oriel Park too near the centre of town, supposedly with LCC planning approval due to be granted (of course objections could yet happen). But most importantly Dundalk FC probably have a reasonable cash reserve that other clubs dont currently and no major outstanding debts/loans, which would catch the eye of investors, maybe not in a good way either.
    It doesnt make it any clearer on the 'where is the quick return on investment' question. But I dont think population or demographics would be a big part of why Dundalk FC and not another club.
    I recently saw a piece piece pushing for Drogheda to become a city that said the urban area had a pop of 70k and now it appears that Dundalk is the same size, yet the population of Louth in total is just 123k, maybe it's the creative approach to figures in the NE that makes Dundalk an attractive proposition to investors.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    I recently saw a piece piece pushing for Drogheda to become a city that said the urban area had a pop of 70k and now it appears that Dundalk is the same size, yet the population of Louth in total is just 123k, maybe it's the creative approach to figures in the NE that makes Dundalk an attractive proposition to investors.
    A large part of the population of Drogheda is in Co. Meath.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    652 Posts
    Have to think the announcement us imminent. I could be wrong but I'd imagine peak 6 will want to make a positive start by funding the signing of a few new players. Not much point in waiting until after the window closes. If they want to do a Rosenberg why wait for July to assemble a squad to dominate

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    Have to think the announcement us imminent. I could be wrong but I'd imagine peak 6 will want to make a positive start by funding the signing of a few new players. Not much point in waiting until after the window closes. If they want to do a Rosenberg why wait for July to assemble a squad to dominate
    We’ll make them pay through the nose for our lads.
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Try explaining the historical supporting hotbeds of Rovers
    Mostly areas along the river dodder but spreading to anything south of the grand canal, pretty easy really

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts
    List of Irish towns by size from the last census for anybody that's curious, potential investors might be interested to know that Dundalk and suburbs has a pop of 39k.
    en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_ population

International Prospect Ezeikial's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redarmyfaction View Post
    List of Irish towns by size from the last census for anybody that's curious, potential investors might be interested to know that Dundalk and suburbs has a pop of 39k.
    en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_urban_areas_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_ population
    Jeez down with the sort of thing. Just as well dem Yanks don't read foot.is yet

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    It wasnt a p1ssing match I was trying to start. Whether it is 50k or 70k makes little difference to the general point. Dundalk Urban, Rural and Enviorns combined, a hinterland or catchment area if you like has an estimated 70k people. Best not live outside the urban boundry (and suburbs) of any town otherwise you cease to exist? As that most reliable source of knowledge that wikipedia is try the figures here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dundalk. I dont know which are closest to reality but as the above raf's link says list of urban area as 39k and there might just be a few people in outlying villages and rural areas that would be included by the general term of catchment; Add to that those who travel from Newry(yes there is quite a following from Newry from prior to them having a senior team in the city), Monaghan, mid-Louth etc and it does add up to a potential amount . But regardles i didnt mean the figures to be an affront to people from other towns watching population league tables, guesstimates or not!

As an aside raf the guy pushing city status also proposed Scotch Hall Shopping Centre to be converted in to Drogheda IT and has submitted the same report numerous times post census years. I wont say he has cooked the books but he was commissioned to do the report each time by a group led by a bit of a fruit. If there is ever to be a town redesignated as a city Sligo, Athlone and Tralee would be top of the list before any other irrespective of population tbh.

Dead easy Rathfarnham, anything south of the Grand Canal...Kildare, Wicklow, Cork, Tallaght, (via Milltown, Morten, RDS, Tolka, Inchicore, Dalymount in no particular order). Where is the river Dodder anyway...
    Last edited by Nesta99; 17/01/2018 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    365 Posts
    On the topic of catchment area, Dundalk has a considerable support over the border, not just from Newry but a lot of areas in south Armagh and busses ran from a lot of these spots for the last 3 cup finals. This isn’t a new thing either as a lot of previous generation support came from those parts in the 60’s and 70’s.

Anyway latest date for the takeover to be signed and announced is tomorrow I hear. Then again, we’ve heard this before, many times.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Dead easy Rathfarnham, anything south of the Grand Canal...Kildare, Wicklow, Cork, Tallaght, (via Milltown, Morten, RDS, Tolka, Inchicore, Dalymount in no particular order). Where is the river Dodder anyway...
    Well in Dublin obviously... I thought that was obvious but clearly I need to go slower for some people, though being the biggest club historically in the country obviously there are pockets of fans in other surrounding areas but they wouldn't be considered "Rovers territory", they'd be more no mans land.
    Apparently the concept of using Google to find out information you don't know hasn't reached where you are yet so I'll just tell you the Dodder is a river that goes through Tallaght, Milltown and Ringsend, ie the 3 areas associated with Rovers the most.
    As you'll know temporary homes don't tend to result in fanbases developing in those areas (Monaghan, Tallaght in no particular order) it's normally more a case of the fans from the normal areas travelling there.
    Anyway good luck with your American overlords who are definitely buying you for the love of the club.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RathfarnhamHoop View Post
    Well in Dublin obviously... I thought that was obvious but clearly I need to go slower for some people, though being the biggest club historically in the country obviously there are pockets of fans in other surrounding areas but they wouldn't be considered "Rovers territory", they'd be more no mans land.
    Apparently the concept of using Google to find out information you don't know hasn't reached where you are yet so I'll just tell you the Dodder is a river that goes through Tallaght, Milltown and Ringsend, ie the 3 areas associated with Rovers the most.
    As you'll know temporary homes don't tend to result in fanbases developing in those areas (Monaghan, Tallaght in no particular order) it's normally more a case of the fans from the normal areas travelling there.
    Anyway good luck with your American overlords who are definitely buying you for the love of the club.
    Meow!!

The River Dodder, mypost's direct route to and from all spots Shamrock Rovers, that was the Tallaght master plan all along!!

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    171 Posts
    Meow!!

The River Dodder, mypost's direct route to and from all spots Shamrock Rovers, that was the Tallaght master plan all along!!
    You got there eventually

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    878 Posts
    I did - internet in the sticks stinks! Im sure mypost did too as did Shamrock Rover tbf
    Last edited by Nesta99; 17/01/2018 at 11:42 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    According to Daniel McDonnell's analysis piece today in the Indo, only 21% of the league clubs revenue in 2016 came from gate receipts - the population catchment area is probably not as significant an issue as many believe

The percentage figure would also be even lower in Dundalk's case in 2016 despite gates being decent in a LoI context

Their latest figures touch on the 2016 financial year, a slightly unique one in the local context with Dundalk pocketing the bulk of their European rewards from their extraordinary €6.5m run during this period.
    In that context, the fact that 43pc of the League of Ireland's €19m revenue came from UEFA channels - a figure in excess of €8m - can be attributed largely to the exploits of Dundalk and Cork in Europe.

In all, 32pc of revenue came from commercial and sponsorship opportunities, with 21pc taken from gate receipts and 4pc from other sources. Just 1pc of revenue comes from transfer proceeds and the absence of a TV deal is another factor that sets the League of Ireland apart from the high-earning leagues.
    https://www.independent.ie/sport/soc...-36496919.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    2016 was a bit of a unique year though wasn't it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    2016 was a bit of a unique year though wasn't it?
    Of course it ways and the quoted article makes that point.

Their latest figures touch on the 2016 financial year, a slightly unique one in the local context with Dundalk pocketing the bulk of their European rewards from their extraordinary €6.5m run during this period.
    If the overall figure for all league clubs was 21% than obviously the percentage that gates contributed to Dundalk's revenue in 2016 would be substantially lower - while we don't know the actual figure it is fair to say that it is minuscule in the context of the 6.5m Euro prize money.

Dundalk's gates are healthy, but even a 25% increase pales into insignificance compared with the riches available for European progress.

On-field success and the prospects of European progress are far bigger factors for an investor getting a return than, for example, an extra 100,000 or so people in a catchment area

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Right but its pointless looking at 2016 and saying gates aren't important. 2016 was a one off and is unlikely to happen again anytime soon without major investment.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Right but its pointless looking at 2016 and saying gates aren't important.
    I didn't say gates aren't important

2016 was a one off and is unlikely to happen again anytime soon without major investment.
    Isn't that exactly what this thread is about?

A potential of a takeover at Dundalk and possible major investment from Peak6.

The point is simple - while gate income is important, it is a relatively smaller revenue element than the prize money that is accessible via european qualification and minuscule compared to the rewards of repeating the 2016 group stages qualification

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post

Dundalk's gates are healthy, but even a 25% increase pales into insignificance compared with the riches available for European progress.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezeikial View Post
    I didn't say gates aren't important
    Yeah, you did.

If you are saying that Peak6 are going to bank on European revenue to make a profit on Dundalk then I would have concerns, and those concerns can be summed up as follows:
    Ollie Byrne, Arkaga, Platinum One.

I've been pretty consistent on this topic. I suspect that this goes one of two ways. Either its a complete success and Peak6 lead Dundalk into a new and prosperous era, in which I suspect Cork City and Shamrock Rovers ride the coat tails to profit and European success but other clubs struggle to keep up, or it goes tits up pretty quickly in a similar fashion to Arkaga. I hope Dundalk fans are preparing for the worst.

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    663 Posts
    Yeah, you did.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

Even if you misunderstood my earlier point on gates and catchment population, go back and read my last post which should clarify any confusion you might have

Page 7 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast