Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: New owners at dundalk

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,255 Posts
    I'd just like to point out that the first match in the Similar Threads below this thread is a 2014 thread entitled "Bray Wanderers set for new owners"

2. Thanks From:

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Cliff notes:

Peak6 backed the consortium of investors with capital, some of the consortium are members/ employed by Peak6 along with others not associated with Peak6, but Peak6 themselves basically put some of the money up along with the individuals in the consortium.
    New owners due over end of the month
    Martin Connolly staying on in some capacity
    2/3 signings still to come this window
    Business as usual on the football side of things for SK
    Nothing definitive on ground developments but that's to be expected, not going to bulldoze the place and build in a day, despite how some seem to think how the world works.

and most importantly:

The Casey family still have the lease on the land/ ground, that didn't go to the new owners, so no matter if it goes fantastically well or belly up, the lease is still held in trust for football in the town.

4. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    I should say I'm not suggesting that peak6 aren't genuine. I have no idea what their intentions are, its just that we've been through this before time and time again at about half the clubs in the country and it very rarely works out well. Maybe this time will be the time its different but I'm skeptical. HOPEFULLY there are enough Dundalk fans who share my skepticism and are starting to organise themselves to pick up the pieces in 9 months, or two years or whenever in case they are needed.
    Theres every possibility that this works out well, and doesn't require European success, or for kids to be farmed off to England, and a trust may never be needed, but its much more likely given the history of the league of Ireland that at some point down the road Dundalk will be left in debt with players they can't pay.

Please reach out to Shamrock Rovers, Sligo Rovers, Cork City, anyone who has a members organisation in place and find out what you need to do to get set up effectively. It can't be done overnight but my club will help you if you ask for it. FORAS have helped several clubs get trusts set up in the past. If Dundalk fans don't take the opportunity to organise themselves now, please don't come around with buckets looking for donations in a year or two.
    We have had to battle an owner that was intent on folding the club rather than selling before. The whole Trust thing was done and was successful, in conjunction with former owners, to buy the club. While the Trust fell out of use in recent years the people involved, their skills and structures etc needed are there and can be reformed quickly and with the previous experience that that people are saying may be needed again one day.

6. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    653 Posts
    I think people are being silly comparing Peak6 to previous investors in LOI . Peak6 are Billionaires and can afford to lose a few pounds without worrying about it if they don't have initial success.
    The likelihood is that this will work out well for Dundalk and the signings coming in now won't be penny pinching and will improve the team.
    If they are prepared to shell out big bucks on a new CEO they are hardly going to worry about an extra 200 a week for a player.

I also think it might encourage more investment in the league in other clubs as other investors will look at what peak6 are doing and think "well these guys aren't ejits".

The difference in gate receipts between Cabinteely and Dundalk (league games) is probably less than 400k per year......any club with the right investment to assemble a squad offers the same basic opportunity for a new investor.........

8. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    The owner of Oriel,Des Casey and then the operations manager of the club,Martin Connolly on local radio today.

https://www.lmfm.ie/on-air/shows/lat...ary-19th-2018/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post
    I think people are being silly comparing Peak6 to previous investors in LOI . Peak6 are Billionaires and can afford to lose a few pounds without worrying about it if they don't have initial success.
    The likelihood is that this will work out well for Dundalk and the signings coming in now won't be penny pinching and will improve the team.
    If they are prepared to shell out big bucks on a new CEO they are hardly going to worry about an extra 200 a week for a player.

I also think it might encourage more investment in the league in other clubs as other investors will look at what peak6 are doing and think "well these guys aren't ejits".

The difference in gate receipts between Cabinteely and Dundalk (league games) is probably less than 400k per year......any club with the right investment to assemble a squad offers the same basic opportunity for a new investor.........
    Which is what I was getting at including the FAI having to take notice. Albeit with stu's scoffing at the ossibility, the FAI are nothing if not money obsessed and investment in clubs could lead to revenue for them. This takeover at Dundalk might just be the breaking of new ground - its every bit as likely as a repeat of Arkaga.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    879 Posts

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Which is what I was getting at including the FAI having to take notice. Albeit with stu's scoffing at the ossibility, the FAI are nothing if not money obsessed and investment in clubs could lead to revenue for them.
    I suppose they could increase the affiliation fees for clubs with billionaire backers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    There's a few about alright.
    Half billionaires anyways

https://fora.ie/derry-city-fc-philip...-Jan2018/?utm_

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    I suppose they could increase the affiliation fees for clubs with billionaire backers.
    FAI Supreme Leader John Delaney had this message

“Research has shown that the average wealth of club owners has increased dramatically in the past year and this, coupled with the country’s rapid economic growth means that this is the ideal time to establish a fund to protect Irish football.

Though this will initially mean an increase in League of Ireland affiliation fees we are sure that all members of the League of Ireland community will work with us as we safeguard the future of football in our country”
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    188 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sbgawa View Post

Arkaga we're willing to shell out big bucks on players too, absolutely huge bucks compared to what our current players are on. And big money for the CEO. Didn't stop them from running for the hills the minute things didn't go their way.

Successful financial companies don't stay successful by throwing money at investments that don't pay off. They're looking for a return, and they'll only get it through European success. If Dundalk don't win the league or go far in Europe they won't be long making changes to try to make it happen, or pulling out.

These are not benevolent investors. They're in it for the profit. Personally, I don't think there's long term profit in an LOI team. Maybe these lads can triple their investment and sell on, who knows. I don't see why there'd be much optimism for it to succeed in the long term though. Based on past evidence.

But, dundalk fans may enjoy some good years because of them, and if they have their trust ready to step in as needed, they don't have a huge amount to lose (or a choice really).

16. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    It's like an intervention in here tonight.
    If us Dundalk ones say 3 arkagas and holy be to tnb will yous leave off the preaching,LADS?

P L E A S E

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EatYerGreens View Post
    Yaaaaawn.

I don't think LOI fans want any club to fail tbh. Confusing that with genuine, obvious concerns probably says more about you than the fans of other clubs on here to be honest.
    I also don't get the thing that fans of other clubs want this to fail. I am reading a lot of valid points from other fans reminding Dundalk we need to be careful and that's fine. It would appear though that this Investment group is a lot different to Arkaga was, but time will of course tell.

I would be cautiously excited that this takeover has gone through, as it definitely puts the club on a new level in terms of what they can achieve. I think another key point is the sale was in no way rushed through and both parties have been in discussions for months. Not exactly a Clerys type Friday night at 2am or so US sale.

I'm also not so blinkered into thinking its going to be plain sailing ahead, like all new owners there will be periods of settling in, there is then the worry about what will happen when they leave, but setting up a strong business model which they appear to be doing and installing a new CEO will help. However, the only way I an see them making any sort of money will be to qualify for the EL group stages in regular seasons, and that is not going to be easy.
    #DundalkFC - First Irish club to win an away game in Europe (1963), first Irish club to win points in a group stage in Europe (2016).

19. Thanks From:

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    I thought it was a good thing but then I am hearing that Dundalk are already linked to 3 eastern Europeans: an Armenian, an Estonian and a Macedonian. Heard it from a friend and also a LOI page on fbook. Jesus its not going to be an athlone mark two is it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    194 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bennocelt View Post
    I thought it was a good thing but then I am hearing that Dundalk are already linked to 3 eastern Europeans: an Armenian, an Estonian and a Macedonian. Heard it from a friend and also a LOI page on fbook. Jesus its not going to be an athlone mark two is it?
    The Estonian guy with 6 followers tweeted it,that your source? friend and a facebook page.WOW

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,255 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nesta99 View Post
    Which is what I was getting at including the FAI having to take notice. Albeit with stu's scoffing at the ossibility, the FAI are nothing if not money obsessed and investment in clubs could lead to revenue for them. This takeover at Dundalk might just be the breaking of new ground - its every bit as likely as a repeat of Arkaga.
    The PCA document that the clubs submitted to the FAI suggested that the FAI main get a return on any invest they put into the league in terms of a percentage of European money and transfer fees, with a view to ultimately making money on their investment. Shortly after, Dundalk hit the biggest money the LoI has ever known (I think?) and showed a clear way for the FAI to start driving revenue from the league. But they've just ignored the PCA instead.

Yes, this could be different. But all of history indicates that I'm right to scoff about the FAI bothering their hole to get positively involved in the league.

International Prospect bennocelt's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    335 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToberonaTornado View Post
    The Estonian guy with 6 followers tweeted it,that your source? friend and a facebook page.WOW
    Yeah maybe Toberona, just was a bit of a coincidence that i heard the same thing within an hour from two different sources, but yeah probably balls, i will admit that

24. Thanks From:

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Hopefully this all works out for Dundalk and they stay rooted in the town and surroundings.
    Given the success of the club over the past 5 years and that there must have been enough cash generated to repay the local owners investment, why sell? Offer too good to refuse ?
    It seemed a comfortable fit since the local businessmen took over a failing club and with the stadium lease sorted , they were set to continue to match Cork for dominance.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dalymountrower View Post
    Hopefully this all works out for Dundalk and they stay rooted in the town and surroundings.
    Given the success of the club over the past 5 years and that there must have been enough cash generated to repay the local owners investment, why sell? Offer too good to refuse ?
    It seemed a comfortable fit since the local businessmen took over a failing club and with the stadium lease sorted , they were set to continue to match Cork for dominance.

The club achieved success disproportionate to it's facilities. The owners studied small European clubs who went on to become very successful in their leagues and in Europe. For example,they met and talked to the people behind Rosenborg, BATE, and Alkmar when Dundalk played them in Europe. In all cases, there was significant seed investment. The owners do not have that capital. Yes, there is a pot of funds available but that would just scratch the surface of the investment that is required.

They had a choice to make. Allow the natural cycle of success to take place and watch as Dundalk slide down the table and wait for the next golden period. Alternatively, they could use the success of 2014-2016 to attract game changing investment. They went with the latter option.

Like a lot of Dundalk fans, I am excited but scared sh!tless.
    Last edited by White Horse; 20/01/2018 at 9:21 AM.

27. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,255 Posts
    Would just point out that Genesis also talked to Rosenborg (or studied them, at least) when doing their LoI report, and that turned out to be rubbish.

Bottom line is, none of us know how this is going to pan out. Not Dundalk fans, not the others. Recent LoI history is full of this kind of stuff, none of it has ever worked out, and all of it has had the fans of the club concerned trying to justify the investors' motives early on, just like Dundalk fans are doing now (and, because this isn't an anti-Dundalk conspiracy, just like Waterford fans have justifying their investors and increased budget on here recently too). It makes sense to be wary of history repeating itself.

That said, I think "Excited but sh!tless" is an entirely reasonable position for Dundalk fans.

Page 9 of 25 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast