Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: April 1st/2nd Fixtures

Coach
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,081 Posts
    Looks like Shelbourne angered them by having the cheek to score against them. So who's going to get the play off spot then?
    Upwards to the vanguard where the pressure is too high.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    644 Posts
    As I predicted First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC played as poorly as possible today in an effort to help out the league.

Unfortunately shelbourne athletic just weren't good enough to capitalise. They have a couple of handyish players that with a bit of luck could move up to their parent clubs pats and bohs. Is it a pity for Irish football to see shels in the state they are now in? A mixture of nobodies and never will bes. Their support gets smaller every year. About 25 tweens in their Christmas clothes writing graffiti with a gold glitter pen one of them stole from their little sister. The saddest sight iv ever seen was their pitch invasion at 1 all. For the rest of their lives they will have to live with the stigma of having invaded a pitch during a game they lost 5 1. It was like watching the reaction of torquay fans if they scored a goal against barcelona. small time with a capital small.

So there you have it league. We did our best. We played terribly. And we still won 5 - 1.

First Division Champions 2016 Limerick FC clearly have their work cut out to give someone a result in the First Division.

I hope for the good of the game we manage it.

Shed End.. **** off with your joe delaney stand
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    159 Posts
    What's the record points total and goals scored in the first division? Could be smashed if things continue like this.

Sean McGuire misses a penalty up in Sligo just now

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    I dont want this to come across as a bitter post. We didn't do enough to win tonight. weak penalty from maguire and I think schlingermann had one save to make for the rest of the game. Every cross we made went right into his hands. Extremely frustrating to watch.

With that said...

As card happy as sutton was last night, the ref tonight refused to use his cards. At least for about the first hour. I'm all for refs letting games flow but there were some obvious professional fouls that he only have free kicks for including one for Healy just outside of the box.

The most agregious decision was when Karl Sheppard was taken down by Schlingermann as Shep tried to nick the ball past the keeper in the box. Now the view from the away section isn't ideal but I don't understand how it is possible for the ref to not send the keeper off in that situation. We were fuming before the missed penalty. As I said we didn't do enough to win the game but it would have been a different game if the last 35 minutes (plus stoppage) had been played against ten men.

sligo played well tonight. especially at the start of second half where they came at us quickly and put a lot of pressure.

Now I hope to get home before 2 am

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Finished up 0-0 in Sligo.

No easy games in this league, Sligo is a difficult place to go, we have a lot of travel to do.

What else will Caulfield say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    447 Posts
    are any of those statements untrue? They don't excuse our result but they are correct. Im starting to think the league is going to be pretty tight all the way through. With longford cut adrift early on. but I can see a series of results where everyone starts beating everyone else. no runaway leaders.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Pietro View Post
    Im starting to think the league is going to be pretty tight all the way through. With longford cut adrift early on. but I can see a series of results where everyone starts beating everyone else. no runaway leaders.
    I agree. Teams are better organised this year. There will be more draws and shock results that last year.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by White Horse View Post
    Finished up 0-0 in Sligo.

No easy games in this league, Sligo is a difficult place to go, we have a lot of travel to do.

What else will Caulfield say?
    We got the 3 points up in the worst ground in the Country is what I think he would say.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,358 Posts
    Get on Harps at 500/1 for the league now.
    https://kesslereffect.bandcamp.com/album/kepler - New music. It's not that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    555 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strikeforce View Post
    We got the 3 points up in the worst ground in the Country is what I think he would say.
    No point if you can't follow it up with beating the bottom team though.

Nicking away wins is one thing. The test of champions is going to away grounds, outplaying teams, and coming away with three points.

Cork have yet to prove that they can do that consistently.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    96 Posts

Nicking away wins is one thing. The test of champions is going to away grounds, outplaying teams, and coming away with three points.

Cork were outplayed tonight, we are better than out table position, a lot of players new to the league, it will take a while to adjust.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    I was half listening to 98fm at about 10 and it came to sport section of the news and they seem to living in a different universe when it comes to the League of Ireland, I have absolutely no idea how they even got this wrong.

"Just the one game in the Airtricity League Premier Division tonight, it ended Sligo Rovers 2, Bohemians 3"

Just for the record the last time Bohemians won 3-2 at the showgrounds was in 1961.

13. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    333 Posts
    Watched a bit of the Limerick game on the Shels live stream. They are gonna walk the 1st Division. About the only thing Limerick don't have is a Sponsor. Thought with how things have gone since the move to the Markets Field that wouldn't be an issue?

Good win for us and badly needed. Sets us up for our annual beating of Rovers in 2 weeks time

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts

Listen fella, your preaching to the converted. Seems like he sets up the team totally different for home and away games. You saw how pumped up we were against you. Why cant this be the case every away day...... No lessons learnt, just excuses.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    137 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    I was half listening to 98fm at about 10 and it came to sport section of the news and they seem to living in a different universe when it comes to the League of Ireland, I have absolutely no idea how they even got this wrong.

"Just the one game in the Airtricity League Premier Division tonight, it ended Sligo Rovers 2, Bohemians 3"

Just for the record the last time Bohemians won 3-2 at the showgrounds was in 1961.
    That's actually how the U17 game finished there today.
    Celebrating 130 Years of Athlone Town Football Club - Pride of the Midlands Since 1887

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post

Yeah I heard that myself on the way home from the Showgies and said WTF, April fools was yesterday lads.
    I have scattered my dreams underneath your feet, tread carefully, cos it's my dreams you walk on.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickccfc View Post
    What's the record points total and goals scored in the first division? Could be smashed if things continue like this.

Sean McGuire misses a penalty up in Sligo just now
    (2 for win) (If 3) - 41 (56) [Drogheda United 1990/91]

Points per game
    (3 for win) - 2.73 [UCD 1994/95]
    (2 for win) (If 3) - 1.83 (2.72) [Derry City 1986/87]

Goals
    73 [Cork City FORAS Co-op 2011]

Goals per game
    2.5 [Derry City 1986/87]

20. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Not every penalty is a sending off. It was a stonewall penalty but i think the ref got it right....the ball was gone towards the corner flag, he wasn't going to score.
    Thought we played well tonight, plenty of heart and effort. No chance of Cork winning the league. They haven't improved since last year. Still well drilled but not very exciting going forward. Maguire has started the season well but tonight i didn't see any improvement in him since he left us. Cork will always be difficult to beat but it takes more than that to win a league. Hopefully things starting to look up for us now.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    123 Posts
    Looks like nobody is going to win the league this year. Everyone is awful, worst standard ever, should we just pack it up now? Maybe give Limerick both titles?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgonigle View Post
    Looks like nobody is going to win the league this year. Everyone is awful, worst standard ever, should we just pack it up now? Maybe give Limerick both titles?
    The real question is could Nobody do what Rovers and Dundalk failed to do and win it three times in a row?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast