Results 1,501 to 1,520 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by youngirish View Post
    Walking around Brighton for the past week or so I have yet to notice anyone wearing one.
    Various Services of Remembrance were held in Brighton on Sunday morning - as they were in villages, towns and cities throughout the United Kingdom. Most attending will have worn a Poppy.

It will be the same next year, and every year thereafter.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Various Services of Remembrance were held in Brighton on Sunday morning - as they were in villages, towns and cities throughout the United Kingdom. Most attending will have worn a Poppy.

It will be the same next year, and every year thereafter.
    brazil , Youngirish was saying as he walked aroung Brighton he did not see many people wearing the poppy !! he never mentioned anything about community not organising rememberance services.

the whole poppy wearing overkill by uk media is totally over the top every tv show you watch or live programmes it's like you have to wear a poppy or you offend the whole uk population as for james mc clean i can totally understand why he chose not to wear poppy( not going into the politics or history) and must applaud him for having the guts to do it by the way watched 2-3 live soccer games at weekend and alot of the fans in the crowds were not wearing poppy's.

" football is a simple game "

3. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    That's as maybe, NB.

But I reckon James McClean is just following a trend. Given the freedom of choice, the majority of British people won't wear one, let alone an Irish nationalist from Doire...

Not because we're not ungrateful to all the Allies who fought v.Nazis (& even feel sorrow for the ordinary soldiers on the other side), but because the likes of the poppy have been hijacked by the Brit.Establishment and far-right to justify their pathetic military forays against people who are no material threat to them.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    398 Posts
    As with wearing ANY charity fundraising stickie, it's purely personal choice. Nobody would berate you for refusing to buy or wear (having bought) a red ribbon, or a yellow daisy etc. Because the UK are heavily involved in existing conflicts, there is a level of awareness of servicepersons being killed/maimed etc, so it is always relevant. However the whole poppy idea just rolls along with the hypocrisy and meeja/government driven manipulation as is seen in Russia when they have their "Victory" day - don't ask anyone whether the victory was over Poland and why the war only lasted from 1941-5. I was in Germany the week before last and was horrified and a little angry to see a rather loud speaking twit walking around Dusseldorf airport wearing a poppy. I met and spoke with a number of other British in other spots subsequently and didn't see a poppy anywhere, even though we discussed WWII and bombing campaigns. I could only consider that this yoke was wearing it before he got on his flight from London and forgot to take it off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by old git View Post
    as for james mc clean i can totally understand why he chose not to wear poppy
    As I have stated earlier, I uphold the right of James McClean, or anyone else, not to wear a Poppy. That's what freedom of choice is all about.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 13/11/2012 at 10:25 AM.

7. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    This reminds me, ever so slightly, of 1930s Munich

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKKJb06Elo4

POPPY PRIDE!!!!
    Folding my way into the big money!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    As I have stated earlier, I uphold the right of James McClean, or anyone else, not to wear a Poppy. That's what freedom of choice is all about.
    You have consistently been a voice of reason on this issue and for that I salute you mo chara!

10. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    fair dues Brazil , it's a pity the media machine in uk cannot see it like that there is alot more problems / issues in uk to be covered by the media than a well paid footballer not wearing a poppy on his football jersey.

" football is a simple game "

12. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    'Sunderland midfielder Meyler defends McClean's poppy decision': http://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/3908/...poppy-decision

Sunderland midfielder David Meyler has defended team-mate James McClean's decision not to wear a poppy on his jersey for last Saturday’s game against Everton in the Premier League.

The Derry-born winger caused some controversy by not donning the same style shirt, embroidered with the poppy symbol to mark Remembrance Sunday, as the rest of the Black Cats team but Meyler says the incident has been blown out of proportion.

"James is James," Meyler told reporters. "James is his own man, I respect his decision. Obviously, his friends and family were involved in Bloody Sunday so it's understandable.

"A lot of people have blown it up a bit too much. It's not that big of a deal for him. It's a family decision, it's his call and I respect his decision. He's a close pal of mine.

"I think people in England have jumped on the bandwagon a bit too easily and come out and nailed him and hammered him a bit and it's a bit unfair.

"James showed that if you don't want to wear it you don't have to wear it. That was James' decision.

"A lot of other players probably chose to wear them. That's just the way it is and the club don't force you to really do anything."

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fixer82 View Post
    You have consistently been a voice of reason on this issue and for that I salute you mo chara!
    On this, yes he's right. But wouldn't agree with his other posts on this.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    I forgot to add that the UVF guy I mentioned had served a life sentence for his part in the murder of 2 brothers he worked with who were killed simply because of their religion yet people see the poppy as a way of remembering him too and it is widely used by loyalist paramilitaries as a symbol of remembrance for their own men and there have been wreaths laid at war memorials in Belfast before by the UVF etc. To be fair though if people want to do that that is fair enough and if they want to then that is fine although they have no right to spew all this vitriol and hatred about those that do not and over the last few days I have seen a lot of crap posted by unionists on fbook about how disgusting it all is that people don't wear it and that they are scum and blah blah. Even discussed the whole McClean situation with a guy who was very critical of McClean and as I have said I can see why people are annoyed like but they need to have a bit of perspective and I put it to him that if you were from the Creggan in Derry you would hardly have much time for the British Army given the things they done there and mentioned bloody sunday, and his response was that anyone that got killed there by the Army deserved it aghast by this I said are you serious and he was and dismissed the finding of the Saville Report etc. Makes you wonder like especially since this guy was young enough and a University student at that! It reflects the whole head in the sand aspect to this though in that they could equally be saying lest we remember in terms of the conscious decision to completely ignore or deny the fact that the British military has not always been the good guy and has perpetrated some terrible acts. Even recently in the case of 5 royal marines who are being charged with murder while on duty in Afghanistan, despite there being video evidence to support the charge there has been a large campaign against any charges being made against.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    A lot of the pro-union lads up there, remind me a lot of the israelis living in the settlements in the West bank. And, no, nothing to do with illegal occupation I always find it ironic how they play the persecution card at every attempt with reference of WWII - and rightfully so -yet persecute the palestinians on a daily basis.
    Last edited by paul_oshea; 13/11/2012 at 4:05 PM.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

17. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SolitudeRed View Post
    I have seen a lot of crap posted by unionists on fbook about how disgusting it all is that people don't wear it and that they are scum and blah blah. Even discussed the whole McClean situation with a guy who was very critical of McClean and as I have said I can see why people are annoyed like but they need to have a bit of perspective and I put it to him that if you were from the Creggan in Derry you would hardly have much time for the British Army given the things they done there and mentioned bloody sunday, and his response was that anyone that got killed there by the Army deserved it aghast by this I said are you serious and he was and dismissed the finding of the Saville Report etc. Makes you wonder like especially since this guy was young enough and a University student at that! It reflects the whole head in the sand aspect to this though in that they could equally be saying lest we remember in terms of the conscious decision to completely ignore or deny the fact that the British military has not always been the good guy and has perpetrated some terrible acts.
    Well, SR, let this proud and unapologetic Unionist unequivocally tell you that those killed on Bloody Sunday did not deserve it - The Prime Minister of The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland has made that clear on behalf of the Nation. Many people have lost their lives that didn't deserve it.

Let me also tell you that I wholly acknowledge that the British Military has perpetrated some terrible acts - I struggle to think of any State Military Forces that have not perpetrated some terrible acts in War and conflict.

Those terrible acts do not wash away the debt of gratitude I have for those from our Nation who have laid down their lives in many theatres of War, and continue to do so to this day - that does not mean I agree with some of the Wars they have been asked to fight.

I do not demand that you, or anyone else, has that debt of gratitude. That is entirely your choice.
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 13/11/2012 at 4:15 PM.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    576 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    A lot of the pro-union lads up there, remind me a lot of the israelis living in the settlements in the West bank. And, no, nothing to do with illegal occupation I always find it ironic how they play the persecution card at every attempt with reference of WWII - and rightfully so -yet persecute the palestinians on a daily basis.
    Slightly off topic but yes, I agree. The US should cut off their allowance

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Your son is English....no way YI!!!
    He has an Irish passport but he's born and bred in England so I would think he's English. We'll see what he has to say on the matter himself when he's old enough to decide these things.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    The BNP have spoken: http://www.bnp.org.uk/news/national/...ses-wear-poppy

This weekend thousands of people showed their respect for the brave men and women who gave their lives so that we can now be free.

Up and down the country people stood in silence at cenotaph’s, heads bowed in remembrance of the dead.

Premier football teams wore specially designed shirts displaying the poppy, these shirts are to be auctioned off for the poppy appeal, but yet there was one man, James McClean who refused to wear one.

The Londonderry born Republic of Ireland player asked if he could wear a normal shirt as he does not support the poppy appeal.

If this man has chosen to show so much disrespect to the people of this country, we need to ask the question why has he chosen to live here?

Is it because of the thousand of pounds he receives every week in wages?

In my opinion this man is no different to the Muslim fanatics that burnt the poppy two years ago and should be treated with the same contempt as those vile creatures have been.

Let’s hope every football fan in the country shows this bitter little man just what they think of him every time he takes to the field.
    Jesus wept.

23. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    He has an Irish passport but he's born and bred in England so I would think he's English. We'll see what he has to say on the matter himself when he's old enough to decide these things.
    In the meantime, is he called youngenglish?

25. Thanks From:

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    i love NBs use of nation and all other articles and pieces,like above,refer to country.you gotta love the english nd especially the bit about "if he doesnt want to live in this country" well he never wanted to live in the union but ubfortunately its what he calls home you tw@t!!!whether thats england,wales,scotland or the channel islands. And from their perspective Northern Ireland.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    In the meantime, is he called youngenglish?
    Very good NB
    why cant you thank on andriod mobile or tablet?!

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    how he decides is purely down to you!!