Page 126 of 182 FirstFirst ... 2676116124125126127128136176 ... LastLast
Results 2,501 to 2,520 of 3630

Thread: James McClean M Wrexham b.1989

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    Danny you can say one thing and mean the complete opposite. I wouldn't suggest he does or doesn't but I wouldn't say that just because he came out with that statement that he actually does.
    In that case, I know neither what he means nor what you mean.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Derry City are an integral and successful member of the League of Ireland
    Given that they joined only in 2010, isn't it a bit early to say?

The FAI and League of Ireland community have always welcomed Derry's participation, ever since Finn Harps helped them gain membership in 1985
    Wouldn't 'were desperate for' be more accurate? The club were expelled, bankrupt and dissolved yet effectively relegated only one division before being allowed to reform immediately.

PS I've seen McClean and McKay play together (for NI u-21, not Wigan). They had four touches each, kicking off after each German goal and at half time...

3. Thanks From:

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    So where will McClean go when Wigan are relegated or will we have a player plying his trade (is that phrase ever used outside of football) in the third level of English football? Trying to think of a few others who did this? Miah Dennehy perhaps or Mick Kearns? Probably missing some more obvious recent ones ?
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Kevin Kilbane and Kevin Doyle would have briefly.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    So where will McClean go when Wigan are relegated or will we have a player plying his trade (is that phrase ever used outside of football) in the third level of English football? Trying to think of a few others who did this? Miah Dennehy perhaps or Mick Kearns? Probably missing some more obvious recent ones ?
    I think he won't be going down there anyway. Doyle's contract was probably too expensive for many Championship sides when he went down, given that he had cost Wolves £6m. McClean is probably on a more modest wage packet (maybe not that modest, in comparison) and cost a lot less and is a lot younger. Doyle isn't a prolific goalscorer either so it would have been a less obvious transfer to justify for many Championship sides. An effective Championship striker probably has to register more goals than, say, a PL striker. That wouldn't be Doyle's game. Many Championship sides will view McClean as a very effective, if not incredibly skillful, Championship winger. Lower-lying PL teams might even remember the goals he scored at Sunderland.

Hopefully he's presented with the same options he was in January (or similar). I think he'll end up at a Championship side with decent promotion aspirations and there is likely to be a lot of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...stle-1-7217418

Linked with Newcastle.

That should endear him to Sunderland's tolerant fans.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    But they gave Colback such a warm reception?

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheOneWhoKnocks View Post
    http://www.sunderlandecho.com/sport/...stle-1-7217418

Linked with Newcastle.

That should endear him to Sunderland's tolerant fans.
    I imagine the Toon Army will be flocking back in their thousands if they splash £4m on a Sunderland reject.

It's a joke story started in the Daily Star.

10. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GypsyBlackCat View Post
    I imagine the Toon Army will be flocking back in their thousands if they splash £4m on a Sunderland reject.

It's a joke story started in the Daily Star.
    The same way that Sunderland fans flocked in their thousands to the Stadium of Light when Di Canio sold McClean and replaced him with Charis Marias and El Hadji Ba?

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    It'll be great craic seeing the Sunderland reject playing at a higher level than Sunderland next year.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Olé Olé View Post
    The same way that Sunderland fans flocked in their thousands to the Stadium of Light when Di Canio sold McClean and replaced him with Charis Marias and El Hadji Ba?
    Well, his last game at home v Southampton the gate was 42,000 and the next home match the gate was 44,000 so 2,000 extra people turned up

I know a couple of Newcastle fans and if this story is true then, in their words there will be 'Hell On'. This the type of thing that they are protesting about. If McClean isn't good enough for Sunderland then, in their words again, he isn't good enough for NUFC. McClean hasn't gone to prove himself in the last two seasons at Wigan. He wouldn't get into the SAFC team atm so why would Newcastle want him?!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    Well, his last game at home v Southampton the gate was 42,000 and the next home match the gate was 44,000 so 2,000 extra people turned up

I know a couple of Newcastle fans and if this story is true then, in their words there will be 'Hell On'. This the type of thing that they are protesting about. If McClean isn't good enough for Sunderland then, in their words again, he isn't good enough for NUFC. McClean hasn't gone to prove himself in the last two seasons at Wigan. He wouldn't get into the SAFC team atm so why would Newcastle want him?!
    I didn't make any reference to fluctuations in attendances or flocking "back" or even forwards. I said "flocking."

Why would Newcastle want him? This report could be codswallop but maybe Newcastle could appreciate that McClean happens to give a f*ck. The floundering and lack of application they've shown recently seemed to infer a conviction that they would ride out the season in the middle of the table. As a result of this complacency, they're being dragged down towards the relegation battle.

I don't necessarily think McClean is a fantastic winger who belongs in the PL. I do think that he has earned the right to play for a decent Championship side or be the subject of a calculated risk by a lower PL side.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I didn't make any reference to fluctuations in attendances or flocking "back" or even forwards. I said "flocking."

Why would Newcastle want him? This report could be codswallop but maybe Newcastle could appreciate that McClean happens to give a f*ck. The floundering and lack of application they've shown recently seemed to infer a conviction that they would ride out the season in the middle of the table. As a result of this complacency, they're being dragged down towards the relegation battle.

I don't necessarily think McClean is a fantastic winger who belongs in the PL. I do think that he has earned the right to play for a decent Championship side or be the subject of a calculated risk by a lower PL side.
    Maybe the Mags think they should be aiming higher than a bog standard Championship player. They had £34million in the last summer and Ashley wouldn't invest it in the team. He just let it sit in the bank. Sunderland are doing the same by selling their top players for big money and replacing them with average Championship players and that's why this time next year SAFC will be an average Championship side. Newcastle wont see it as a player giving 100%, they'll see it as a the club saving money and lacking ambition.

I was pointing out that this story was in the Daily Star which is on the same level as the Sunday Sun. It's nothing more than to throw fuel on the fire at SJP.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,102 Posts
    I think it bears remembering that McClean managed 9 goals in 23 PL games in 2011/2012. He was a regular starter the following season for Sunderland. I'm not sure if he's a "bog-standard Championship player" or that since 2011/12 he's been found out. Why wasn't he found out after the first of those 9 goals?

Newcastle normally buy cheaper players from the French or Dutch leagues. It might be time to reassess this policy. Not that I'm saying McClean is the answer for them but he might be worth a look at by lower PL sides.

I actually think that McClean working under McClaren would be brilliant for McClean. McClaren is known to be an excellent coach and maybe excellent coaching is what McClean needs. It probably is because fitness and motivation are not lacking.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I think it bears remembering that McClean managed 9 goals in 23 PL games in 2011/2012. He was a regular starter the following season for Sunderland. I'm not sure if he's a "bog-standard Championship player" or that since 2011/12 he's been found out. Why wasn't he found out after the first of those 9 goals?

Newcastle normally buy cheaper players from the French or Dutch leagues. It might be time to reassess this policy. Not that I'm saying McClean is the answer for them but he might be worth a look at by lower PL sides.

I actually think that McClean working under McClaren would be brilliant for McClean. McClaren is known to be an excellent coach and maybe excellent coaching is what McClean needs. It probably is because fitness and motivation are not lacking.
    How many young players break on the scene and fade away. McClean's just another. In his second season defenders figured him out and the problem was he couldn't change his game. Wigan fans have said similar that he runs and runs but has no end product. I doubt NUFC will change their transfer policy. Going down the routine of the French and Dutch leagues is a better, cheaper way to get talent. That's probably when they'll go for McClaren. If you think about it, they paid £4.5m for Cabaye and sold him for £18m to PSG. You'll get better value for £4m on the continent.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    McClean signs for Newcastle.

Plot Twist - Mike Ashley loans him to Rangers.

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,657 Posts
    Yeah, because that is how football works. Imbeciles.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SkStu View Post
    Yeah, because that is how football works. Imbeciles.
    They got it spot on about Pardew!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    517 Posts
    McClean sent off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Daniel McDonnell - Aviva Soccer Writer

JAMES McClean turned 26 last week, the stage of a career where a footballer can no longer really be classed as a youngster or a player for the future.

He didn’t really have much cause for celebration from a work perspective seeing as his weekend dismissal in Wigan’s defeat to Wolves will end his contribution to a season where the 2013 FA Cup winners have fought an unsuccessful battle with relegation to League One.

It’s a staggering fall from grace for The Latics and, clearly, McClean backed the wrong horse when he jumped from Sunderland three months after Wigan’s Wembley glory, still struggling under the cloud from his understandable yet controversial stance on wearing the poppy.

But this bad news could actually be the catalyst for the player to put right his poor judgement on that occasion and pick the right move in the summer. He should have no shortage of suitors.

On a recent trip to London, this writer took in Wigan’s defeat to a Millwall side that has also spent the season sliding down the slippery slope towards the third tier.

McClean endured frustration and a fair bit of abuse from the natives, yet he stood out in a poor team as a player with a genuine desire to embrace the fight. He was deployed in a variety of positions on a rough evening and always looked as though he was capable of making something happen.

The childhood Hoops fan was keen to join Celtic in January when it temporarily appeared to be an option and it’s easy to see how he could fit into their plans; his underdog spirit in the Irish shirt came to the fore in Euro qualifiers with Germany and Poland in the last six months and the Scottish champions will have continental tests where they are a cast in a similar role.

Derby boss Steve McClaren is another admirer although he could be bound for Newcastle which might bring about the construction of a different shopping list. Either way, the Derry lad has enough supporters who can rescue him from his current plight.

Martin O’Neill certainly had no concerns when he was asked about McClean a fortnight ago, a confidence which might suggest he knows something we don’t or else a strong self-belief that his reputation has survived through his club’s difficulties.

Three years ago the winger was the biggest news story in Irish football as he took the Premier League by storm, leading to a rapturous Aviva reception on his Aviva debut which then manager Giovanni Trapattoni compared to a reception he would expect for Messi or Pele. He was even linked with Manchester United in the midst of a dream run that had to come to an end sometime.

Indeed, he experienced the other extreme when impetuous behaviour off the pitch, generally with a phone in his hands, landed him in trouble. In a recent interview with the Irish Independent, he came across as a much more grounded and mature character as he revealed just how unprepared he was for the attention which came his way.

It left the impression that he’s been grounded by his disappointment and it may well be that he looks back on his stint with Wigan as a character building exercise. His next chapter could prove to be the most interesting.