Results 981 to 1,000 of 7722

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    McGinn hasn't turned down any NI appearances, hasn't shirked during them and seems quite happy enough to remain available for more in future. That's enough for me. I'd prefer he hadn't announced his support for another team quite so publicly but we'll get over it.
    Why? Should he regret his heritage?

We've had plenty of other players in the past who clearly were English and presumably supported England as kids and beyond. So have you, be honest.
    With the exceptions of Lawro' (only since he retired) & Townsend, struggling to think of any others. Who, exactly, did you have in mind??
    And what about all those young lads in your U-21 & youth sides??

And Feeney must at the very least, come from a 'mixed' heritage??

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CraftyToePoke View Post
    I am just saying if that is what he really wants, he should back his ability to achieve that. As McGinn would if he had his time again maybe? Good luck to him either way
    Accepting a NI international call-up suggests that what McClean really wants is to play against the Faeroes. If he doesn't get on, fine. He can still theoretically go on to play for RoI.

We can't read McGinn's mind, but I'd guess he's quite satisfied to have played in the SPL and won international caps. Not having been quite good enough to play for RoI notwithstanding.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Accepting a NI international call-up suggests that what McClean really wants is to play against the Faeroes. If he doesn't get on, fine. He can still theoretically go on to play for RoI.
    McClean dodged the question in a few interviews (his Facebook page is a little more enlightening), but what came across is that he was simply happy to be given the opportunity to play at a higher level. Obviously it is debateable whether or not he views it as ideal (Derry players are known for their idealism, of course).
    End Apartheid Now! One Team in Ireland!

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    He's not too private about his political persuasions either, I see. How will that sit with the Windsor faithful? By the looks of things, NI fans don't seem too keen on Ní Chuilín and her compadres at the minute.

If Worthington wants to cap him for ten seconds at the end of the Faroes game, that's his prerogative. If McClean is happy with that, fair enough. His choice and good luck to the lad, although I'd personally rather he was on the phone to the FAI if his long-term ambition was to play for us.
    Can only speak for myself - I couldn't care less where the kid puts his X on a ballot paper.

If he chooses to play for Northern Ireland, all I expect is that he gives it 100%.

It's his choice, and his moment of truth is fast approaching - it's his perogative.

If he doesn't want to play for Northern Ireland, it's a simple "Goodbye" - it frees up the shirt for someone who wants it.

Re: Our Sports Minister coming to Windsor Park - I've no issues with that per se.

I'd be more upset if Alex Bruce came.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

5. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    And Feeney must at the very least, come from a 'mixed' heritage??
    It's all in the name.

Warren "mixed heritage"?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Feeney is a Connacht surname from Sligo, which is not exactly Belfast/the osc....

So am presuming he has a 'mixed' heritage. As in not a 'pure' Brit.

But it's OK, if he wants to play for that lot, up to him!

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Do we have a link to McClean's FBk page?

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Do we have a link to McClean's FBk page?
    I've had a look at his FB page. I dont see anything immediately obvious in his more recent posts that states that he wants to play for us.

What I did see was a lot of people congratulating him on his call up.........and by the sound of their christian and surnames would be from both sides!!

As for is political allegiances as referred to in a previous post i dont see anything obvious in relation to that also.

Either that or he's deleted them!!

By the way it's easy enough find his page if you want to.
    I have a head only Snow White would love

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    I've had a look at his FB page. I dont see anything immediately obvious in his more recent posts that states that he wants to play for us.

What I did see was a lot of people congratulating him on his call up.........and by the sound of their christian and surnames would be from both sides!!

As for is political allegiances as referred to in a previous post i dont see anything obvious in relation to that also.

Either that or he's deleted them!!

By the way it's easy enough find his page if you want to.
    He states his political allegiance clearly on his page and on one photo of him playing for the IFA (as found by an OWC member), a friend says "Should be a Republic top" and McClean replies, "Hopefully soon lol"

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Predator View Post
    He states his political allegiance clearly on his page and on one photo of him playing for the IFA (as found by an OWC member), a friend says "Should be a Republic top" and McClean replies, "Hopefully soon lol"
    In fairness to him that was before he was called up (even though it was 16th July) but he seems quite pleased with the call up.

As regards his political allegiance - I still cant see that on his info page but then again I'm not from up there so it mightn't be immediately obvious to me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Although political views on facebook aren't necessarily indicative of truth, McClean's says SF - Sinn Fein. I think that given his upbringing in Creggan along with his apparent political views, not to mention his own words, it's safe to assume that he's an Ireland supporter and would possibly like to play for Ireland. He can still be pleased with the call up to the IFA senior team though (he already played at U19 and U21 level), he deserves it in my opinion.
    I think it's a bit odd that McClean wasn't ever considered by the FAI when he was younger, given that the McEleney brothers have played for FAI youth teams while at Derry. Harkin was in the squad when he was at Charlton. I think Davy McDaid and Tom McBride were in youth squads or training camps too.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    Although political views on facebook aren't necessarily indicative of truth, McClean's says SF - Sinn Fein. I think that given his upbringing in Creggan along with his apparent political views, not to mention his own words, it's safe to assume that he's an Ireland supporter and would possibly like to play for Ireland. He can still be pleased with the call up to the IFA senior team though (he already played at U19 and U21 level), he deserves it in my opinion.
    I think it's a bit odd that McClean wasn't ever considered by the FAI when he was younger, given that the McEleney brothers have played for FAI youth teams while at Derry. Harkin was in the squad when he was at Charlton. I think Davy McDaid and Tom McBride were in youth squads or training camps too.
    Yeah - I remember McBride was called up to a training camp not aware if McDaid was.

I dont think McClean will withdraw from the squad - whether he's good enough for us or even NI remains to be seen.

I must be blind - I dont see the SF reference.

But I was well impressed with Daniel Kearns - first time seeing him play - wonder if Lennon is tempted?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    203 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greendeiseboy View Post
    Yeah - I remember McBride was called up to a training camp not aware if McDaid was.

I dont think McClean will withdraw from the squad - whether he's good enough for us or even NI remains to be seen.

I must be blind - I dont see the SF reference.

But I was well impressed with Daniel Kearns - first time seeing him play - wonder if Lennon is tempted?
    McClean's what, 22? He's been tremendous for Derry and is a former U21 international, but it seems likely that unless he gets a move he might never see international football again.

Kearns was excellent the other day. He may have stolen McClean's thunder. He has been brilliant all season for Dundalk too.I remember watching him help the destruction of Shamrock Rovers earlier in the year. I doubt he'll be in Ireland much longer and he's younger than McClean by 3 years, right? He could actually set his sights a wee bit higher than Celtic to be honest.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    McClean's what, 22? He's been tremendous for Derry and is a former U21 international, but it seems likely that unless he gets a move he might never see international football again.

Kearns was excellent the other day. He may have stolen McClean's thunder. He has been brilliant all season for Dundalk too.I remember watching him help the destruction of Shamrock Rovers earlier in the year. I doubt he'll be in Ireland much longer and he's younger than McClean by 3 years, right? He could actually set his sights a wee bit higher than Celtic to be honest.
    As a fan, I'd like to see him at Celtic - but he could also use it as a stepping stone.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    So no Fbk.link then??

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    34 Posts
    So no Fbk.link then??
    Key in James McClean and look out for the profile pic with him from the match at the weekend

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Aye, found it now.

Not the world's greatest typist....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    So am presuming he has a 'mixed' heritage. As in not a 'pure' Brit.

But it's OK, if he wants to play for that lot, up to him!
    Third generation to play for Northern Ireland - as his father and grandfather did before him.

When Warren finishes his career at Linfield (the Club he has supported since a boy), he will also follow in his father and grandfathers footsteps in wearing the Royal Blue.

The old Feeney family's bar in East Belfast was about as "mixed heritage" as Stokes's da's gaff in Dublin.

http://www.linfieldfc.com/interview.asp?inv=591
    Last edited by Not Brazil; 01/08/2011 at 2:28 PM.

Banned. Children Banned. Grandchildren Banned. 3 Months. Charlie Darwin's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,368 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Third generation to play for Northern Ireland - as his father and grandfather did before him.

When Warren finishes his career at Linfield (the Club he has supported since a boy), he will also follow in his father and grandfathers footsteps in wearing the Royal Blue.

The old Feeney family's bar in East belfast was about as "mixed heritage" as Stokes's da's gaff in Dublin.
    Half man half ape?

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Darwin View Post
    Half man half ape?
    I thought Stokes's da's place was mixed - half Provo, half Dissident.