Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 40 of 387 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090140 ... LastLast

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    I've set up an account with WSC but I am awaiting activation from the administrator. I was just going to take issue with this point made beneath the recent Jonathan Bradley piece:

But it is pretty unusual in the wider World for them to stop playing under-age internationals for one country, then declare for another.
    Lots of things in life are unusual but it doesn't take away from their validity or legitimacy. In fact, I don't think the above is actually all that unusual. Shane Lowry of Aston Villa is an example where Ireland lost out on a player who had played with the FAI at under-17 level and later at under-21 level before deciding he wanted to play senior football for Australia. Lowry is a dual national, having been born in Australia to Irish parents, but his decision was not met with anything remotely like the fierce antipathy and bluster you get from NI fans when a northern-born Irish national declares for the FAI. It was his decision; Ireland fans accepted that and, although obviously disappointed, wished him the best. Little issue was made of it.

There are other examples of players switching from one association to the other, some whilst still at under-age level with another association. Wasn't Owen Hargreaves selected by Wales at under-age level before switching to the FA after England came calling? Kevin-Prince Boateng played with Germany from under-15 level through to under-21 level but has since declared for Ghana. Likewise, Thiago Motta played with Brazil at under-17 and under-23 levels before declaring for Italy. Asmir Begović played for Canada at under-20 level before declaring for Bosnia & Herzegovina. Mikkel Diskerud played for Norway at under-18 and under-19 levels, later switching to play for the US at under-20 level. He has since received two senior caps with the US. Fréddie Kanouté played for France at under-21 and 'B' level before switching to Mali. Mevlüt Erdinç is another; he played for France at under-17 level before declaring for Turkey at under-19 level. He's gone on to play for the Turkish senior side on ten occasions.

A significant portion of the senior Algerian team is French-born and played for France at under-age level. The same applies to a few players who currently play for Morocco, including Marouane Chamakh.

Then, we've got Edgar Castillo and Jermaine Jones. Both played three senior friendly games for Mexico and Germany, respectively, before switching to play for the US.

Not really relevant to the above, but, out of interest, could, say, Owen Hargreaves, play football for Canada in the Olympics, assuming he was fit and they were participating, and then switch back to the FA and play for England again, or would that be deemed a switch in the eyes of FIFA? If it would be, then, technically, shouldn't all those players who represent this Team GB be deemed to be switching to play for another association/country?

Edit: And how did I forget young Oliver Norwood? Or Ryan Brobbel?
    Last edited by DannyInvincible; 23/06/2011 at 11:44 PM.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    You are correct in identifying a certain rotund hypocrite.
    Don't worry;since Fulham may now play a certain team from N.Beal-feirste, he's now lost interest.

As per the other week in Liege, " I no longer support Northern Ireland as they're a bunch of wasters who aren't interested in playing, so why should I care about them?"
    And have at least 10 witnesses to this, inc. members of the Irish press corps, who asked his name, so out of place did he look....

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    I asked you previously, but you didn't respond.

Was it, or was it not, the case that someone born Northern Ireland could enjoy dual nationality (British & Irish) prior to the GFA?

What "wider sense"?
    I did, but you chose to ignore my answer! However will concede others are more knowledgeable on this, so will cede on whatever pedantic straw you're grasping at.

Except in the "wider sense";The bubble must be fairly small if you don't realise the wider implications....even for an apologist for Northern unionism.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    575 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArdeeBhoy View Post
    You are correct in identifying a certain rotund hypocrite.
    Don't worry;since Fulham may now play a certain team from N.Beal-feirste, he's now lost interest.

As per the other week in Liege, " I no longer support Northern Ireland as they're a bunch of wasters who aren't interested in playing, so why should I care about them?"
    And have at least 10 witnesses to this, inc. members of the Irish press corps, who asked his name, so out of place did he look....
    I'm sorry but, just to satisfy my curiousity AB, how exactly do you know GR?

I'm still having trouble picturing the two of you, given your exchanges over the years, sitting down to lunch together in Liege?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    No easy answer to that one, Fly!

But for all the faults involved, should be mindful that certain people would object to a meeting with our kind, so we should leave it at that?
    Or PM me.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    Well not quite. The IFA existed before the State. The FAI should disband.

Also the outside forces were of the UK government on the free state not on ni surely?
    Sure, I didn't mean it to be all that enlightening or persuasive given it seemed to be a tongue-in-cheek comment, but the point is that, given the nature of international football - it being contested between countries, or overtly political entities, if you will - you could claim that the whole thing is fundamentally founded on "governmental interference". People don't make such daft protestations, however. International football is what it is. It just makes those who take issue with Irish nationality law in particular look silly, when so many states around the world have varying nationality laws with which no-one takes issue.

7. Thanks From:

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Was kind of the point I was trying to say above but ten times more clumsily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
    I'm sorry but, just to satisfy my curiousity AB, how exactly do you know GR?

I'm still having trouble picturing the two of you, given your exchanges over the years, sitting down to lunch together in Liege?
    I'd lunch with anyone if Bellevue Kriek was available.

Mr Bhoy has been a prominent figure on the London football management scene for many years.

Only last month I refereed an over 35 all star select under his direction. All went well until the Louth-based lager-lout started a row in an empty changing room about rolling substitutions, or similar.
    Last edited by Gather round; 24/06/2011 at 6:30 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    19 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    I'd lunch with anyone if Bellevue Kriek was available.

Mr Bhoy has been a prominent figure on the London football management scene for many years.
    Prominent as in size or status?

Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Only last month I refereed an over 35 all star select under his direction. All went well until the Louth-based lager-lout started a row in an empty changing room about rolling substitutions, or similar.
    Classic AB. An honorary Ulsterman, if ever there was such a thing. Maybe like Lord Edward Carson.

Err, I'll get my coat...

PP
    Semper in faecibus sole profundum variat

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    Sure, I didn't mean it to be all that enlightening or persuasive given it seemed to be a tongue-in-cheek comment, but the point is that, given the nature of international football - it being contested between countries, or overtly political entities, if you will - you could claim that the whole thing is fundamentally founded on "governmental interference". People don't make such daft protestations, however. International football is what it is. It just makes those who take issue with Irish nationality law in particular look silly, when so many states around the world have varying nationality laws with which no-one takes issue.
    Ah Danny, you just got my thinking juices flowing with it. And then I started thinking about that premise.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Not to worry; I'm just eager to hear more GR and AB-based anecdotes.

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    I did, but you chose to ignore my answer! However will concede others are more knowledgeable on this, so will cede on whatever pedantic straw you're grasping at.

Except in the "wider sense";The bubble must be fairly small if you don't realise the wider implications....even for an apologist for Northern unionism.
    Sorry, you didn't answer the question, and now concede you don't know the answer.

You seem unable to accept that people born in Northern Ireland are, de facto, Dual Nationals - however they wish to "identify".

By the way, I'm an unapologetic Unionist.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    AB and GR - officially foot.ie's odd couple. Wherever they go hilarity ensues!!!! From rows during over 35's footy matches to eligibility issues right through to 'In Liege' style hi-jinks, nothing is off limits for the wacky twosome!

That sitcom would get cancelled after two weeks...
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Came across this story released just today about another player to switch associations outside of the Irish context. Norwegian-born Adam Larsen Kwarasey has had his eligibility to play for Ghana approved. Kwarasey played once for Norway at under-21 level but turned down further interest from the Norwegian association two years ago with the hopes of representing Ghana, from where his father comes. He had his documents processed within the last week: http://www.ghanafa.org/news/201106/5718.php

After enduring the long wait to have his desire for a nationality switch approved, Adam Larsen Kwarasey says he is thrilled he can now represent Ghana at international level.

Fifa, last week informed the Ghana Football Association the 23 year-old goalkeeper was eligible to play since he had not played in any official international 'A' match for Norway.
    http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePag....php?ID=205241

With all documents available, Fifa approves change of players’ nationality within two weeks as it did with Mali’s Samassa.

The Stromgodset goalkeeper told GHANAsoccernet.com he was frustrated by the long drawn-out process which started last year.

Kwarasey acquired his Ghanaian passport last September and wrote the formal letter to Fifa seeking the switch.

The Norwegian FA says it provided its document in December, which means if the GFA had acted rapidly, the goalkeeper should have been approved by Fifa last year.

“We also confirm that ADAM LARSEN KWARASEY has not at any point played for the Norwegian “A” National Team,” the letter to the Norwegian FA letter to the GFA read.

The goalkeeper was born to a Ghanaian father and a Norwegian mother which makes his eligible to play for the Black Stars.

Kwarasey turned down invitations to play for the European country’s under-21 side two years ago with the hope of playing for Ghana.

The highly-rated youngster is hoping that his form and height will gain him a place in Ghana’s squad for future matches.

Kwarasey has currently been rated as the best goalkeeper in the Norwegian top flight after impressive displays which secured a historic Europa league place for Stromsgodset.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SwanVsDalton View Post
    AB and GR - officially foot.ie's odd couple. Wherever they go hilarity ensues!!!! From rows during over 35's footy matches to eligibility issues right through to 'In Liege' style hi-jinks, nothing is off limits for the wacky twosome!

That sitcom would get cancelled after two weeks...
    Two seconds more like....

More seriously, good work refuting the usual from GR on the WSC site.
    You've gone upwards in my estimation.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    Sorry, you didn't answer the question, and now concede you don't know the answer.

You seem unable to accept that people born in Northern Ireland are, de facto, Dual Nationals - however they wish to "identify".

By the way, I'm an unapologetic Unionist.
    And I was making the point it's an exception, not the general rule.
    As for the last bit, that's hardly news.
    Except opening yourself up to the usual....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    And I was making the point it's an exception, not the general rule.
    ANY footballer born in Northern Ireland can play for either Northern Ireland or the South.

This is possible because of the dual nationality of the players.

How, exactly, is that "an exception, not the general rule"?

Why can you not accept fact?

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    Except that's not what I'm even talking about!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    More seriously, good work refuting the usual from GR on the WSC site.
    Oh nice one, cheers, thanks...

You've gone upwards in my estimation.
    Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Except that's not what I'm even talking about!!
    Well then, what exactly are you talking about?