Results 5,481 to 5,500 of 7734

Thread: Eligibility Rules, Okay

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Now now.

The problem with NB's approach, in my opinion, is that it's effectively toothless. There's nothing to stop a player saying the haven't made up their mind, or even professing full commitment to the IFA, and switching later.
    And again has oft been said before there shouldn't be anything more to stop a dual national from playing for another association within the rules as they stand.

To be honest if the rules were changed so that you could only play for your "first" association you would see the IFA being decimated.
    DID YOU NOTICE A SIGN OUTSIDE MY HOUSE...?

Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DannyInvincible View Post
    That's unfortunate as I think they could learn a lot from you in terms of what approach to take. Your general approach to this issue is certainly more progressive than any other I've encountered on that side of the fence. I'm surprised osarusan hasn't pulled you up yet!

However, it is easy to characterise over-simplistically and to talk in categorical black-and-white terms about those harbouring ambitions of playing for the FAI. What about those who just don't know at that age what they'd rather do, or those who would entertain both associations equally or even those who are quite happy to play for the IFA to test the water but who might later decide, for whatever reason, that it wasn't how they thought it'd be and that they'd rather give playing with the FAI a go? They may not even have had any original ambition to play for the FAI. Whilst the rules may be, players' circumstances and mindsets are not static and can change.
    Of course, things are not always black or white Danny.

I just feel that most players know where their heart lies at Under 19.

If the IFA don't want want to be used as a "testing ground" or stepping stone leading for/to a career with the FAI, they need to change their selection policy.

If they are happy with the way things are, then they need to quit blurbing when players make the switch.
    The Englishmen came over in the year 2005
    But little did they know that we'd planned a wee surprise
    Sir David scored the winner, and Windsor Park went wild
    And this is what we sang...

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigel-harps1954 View Post
    I once scored with a Spanish student. Still couldn't understand a word she was trying to say.
    And that my Dear Crosby, is what Nigel-Harps said.
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    To be honest if the rules were changed so that you could only play for your "first" association you would see the IFA being decimated
    Agreed, we'd certainly lose 10% of our recent youth internationals, who grew up in England.

While you'd have missed out on 45% of your team that played earlier this season.
    Last edited by Gather round; 07/06/2013 at 10:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gather round View Post
    Agreed, we'd certainly lose 10% of our recent youth internationals who grew up in England.

While you'd have missed out on 45% of your team that played Germany earlier this season.
    I don't really think kyou know what I'm getting at. But no matter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    I don't really think you know what I'm getting at. But no matter
    The onus is on you to explain it clearly, Bonita.

Still, at least you now know what decimate means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Haven't a clue what you are on about gather round. Why would the IFA only lose 10% of its english born playing pool while the FAI would lose 100% of its english born playing pool, ie 45% of the team that played the Germans?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Morning IFK. Missing comma now added. Apologies for any confusion.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Well I'm still confused. Do you mean only 10% of NI underage players are English-born?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Well I'm still confused. Do you mean only 10% of NI underage players are English-born?
    Bonnie suggested a decimation, I was just agreeing with the broad point. I've no idea of the exact number.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    367 Posts
    Okay, get you now. But I'm sure you can acknowledge the actual percentage of English born players in NI underage sides is considerably higher than 10%.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ifk101 View Post
    Okay, get you now. But I'm sure you can acknowledge the actual percentage of English born players in NI underage sides is considerably higher than 10%
    Indeed. I imagine other posters (NB, Co Down Green?) have an exact figure.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Anyone know what this means.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    The onus is on you to explain it clearly, Bonita.

Still, at least you now know what decimate means.
    Okay I'll be blunter.

As you probably are aware for many reasons and none there is a large Irish diaspora in England. A significant proportion of these connect with the Ireland (Republic) as the manifestation of their Irishness (I do not want to derail the conversation at this point, so read on).

A lot of the children of these families grew up as Irish kids in England. A lot of these went on to represent the FAI with distinction down through the years.

Now, the IFA's team is not known (and correct me if I'm wrong in this common assumption) to be the sort of team that in England a lot of kids grow up wishing to play for. They choose the IFA as an option when it's clear they are not gonna ever play for England, Scotland, Wales, Germany etc.

In the scenario I outlined above it is likely that some of these kids would be stuck to the FA, SFA etc due to playing for their youth teams and the IFA would lose out.

The FAI on the otherhand actually benefits from having the diaspora connecting in the way it can. If players such as Ciaran Clark felt that they were gonna be tied to England at the outset there's every possibility they wouldn't have opted to play for the FA.

Now that I've set up the scenario I can discuss what I actually meant.

The likes of Shane Ferguson, Paddy McCourt or Niall McGinn etc may have decided that they didn't wish to tie themselves forever to the IFA.

It's all theoretical but the IFA is not in a position to dictate. Considering that the likely scenario in my view will leave them worse off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Not Brazil View Post
    If the IFA don't want want to be used as a "testing ground" or stepping stone leading for/to a career with the FAI, they need to change their selection policy.

If they are happy with the way things are, then they need to quit blurbing when players make the switch.
    The IFA accepting the burden of responsibility?...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    [Kids] choose [Northern Ireland] as an option when it's clear they are not gonna ever play for England
    The same widely applies to Scotland, Wales and the Irish Republic, most starkly in the example I quoted above. Nearly half your team in a recent qualifier have never actually lived in the country. Many such players qualify through one ancestor who they may never have met.

You may prefer to distinguish with exaggerated rhetoric about the Diaspora. I don't see much difference in practice. You're right though that it's all hypothetical: the rules are unlikely to become more restrictive any time soon, so we'll all continue to recruit England's cast offs.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    107 Posts
    The same widely applies to Scotland, Wales and the Irish Republic, most starkly in the example I quoted above. Nearly half your team in a recent qualifier have never actually lived in the country. Many such players qualify through one ancestor who they may never have met.

You may prefer to distinguish with exaggerated rhetoric about the Diaspora. I don't see much difference in practice. You're right though that it's all hypothetical: the rules are unlikely to become more restrictive any time soon, so we'll all continue to recruit England's cast offs.
    What a load of balls. For someone who clings to a British tradition that may be hundreds of years in the past, it's ironic that you don't understand the Irish abroad who's parents and grandparents embellished them with their sense of Irishness.

Westwood:
    Westwood qualified through his grandparents Lawrence and Mary, who originate from Wexford. Both died within the last two years so Saturday was a very emotional occasion for the stopper.

'They were just brilliant people,' Westwood told Sportsmail. 'It has been really tough losing them, one after the other.

'They were a massive influence on my life when I was growing up and always there for me. I wanted to play for Ireland for them since I was a kid. Before every game, I have a quiet moment under the towel on the penalty spot to think about them. This was for them.'

McGeady:

McCarthy:

McCarthy is eligible for Ireland through his Gweedore-born grandfather Paddy Coyle, who recently passed away.
    "Grandad was a big influence on me when I was small and always said he wanted to see me play for Ireland so I was delighted to get the chance to do so," explained the teenager.
    "It'll be a great moment for me to wear the Irish shirt for the first time. My parents are coming over and lots more of my relatives will be there as well."

Cox:

Cox also spoke of his grandmother's pride at his first call-up for Ireland.
    The 24-year-old qualifies for Ireland duty through grandmother Mary and he said his call-up for three matches in May and June has triggered pride among relatives in Galway.
    He said: "My grandmother is very proud. She moved over to England when she was young and married my grandad.
    "All her sisters and my dad's cousins are all still in Galway. I went over there during the last international break.
    "It was nice to go back. I've had numerous phone calls from all my family.
    "They are ready and raring to go and watch the games."

Walters:

Walters has improved his game to such an extent that he stands on the verge of international recognition, a source of intense pride for the family of his late mother Helen Brady.
    He said: 'It would mean a hell of a lot to me and my family. Since the squad was announced, I have been inundated with texts and phone calls, and moving ones from my mum's brothers and sisters and my cousins. It's meant a hell of a lot to a lot of people.'

He said: 'Every chance my mum got to come back, every single holiday we had, Easter, Christmas, we were back here for the whole of them.
    'We spent all our holidays here, so when I go back to the tournaments we qualified for, we were here for it, so I saw what it means for everyone here.'

18. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    170 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Irwin3 View Post
    What a load of balls. For someone who clings to a British tradition that may be hundreds of years in the past, it's ironic that you don't understand the Irish abroad who's parents and grandparents embellished them with their sense of Irishness
    What a load of exaggerated-outraged waffle. I don't "cling" to anything in the past, whether King Billy, the Famine or the sort of baloney that has Obama qualifying as Oirish through one great-great six or seven generations back.

You are obviously in denial about, or possibly didn't understand, where I referred to people qualifying through a single grandparent. Meaning that, obviously, five of their other six most recent ancestors aren't from Ireland, and are quite likely to have "embellished" their (grand)child with various senses of otherness.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    To be honest if the rules were changed so that you could only play for your "first" association you would see the IFA being decimated.
    I, for one, wouldn't support such a rule change BS.

It would have a negative impact on the IFA.

I just feel the IFA need to do things differently - within the rules as they stand, or else shut up when players switch.

21. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Now now.

The problem with NB's approach, in my opinion, is that it's effectively toothless. There's nothing to stop a player saying the haven't made up their mind, or even professing full commitment to the IFA, and switching later.
    Of course, you are right in that the switching door would not be shut.

However, it might help it focus a player on being honest about his future desires/intentions....honest with himself, and honest with the IFA.

Many (if not all?) of the bigger name switchers have been quick to tell the world that it was always their ambition/dream/desire to play for the South.

In simple language, they should have the decency to tell the IFA that (especially if asked about their ambitions/dreams/desires for their future International career!), before accepting a call up to represent the IFA.

If a player wants to use the IFA as a stepping stone to an International career with the FAI (or any other Association), in my opinion, he should not be selected...instead, he should be encouraged to contact the FAI.

23. Thanks From: