Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains
Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1422

Thread: Euro 2012 Qualifying Group B - General Discussion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    672 Posts
    Well she ain't a gift horse I'd be looking in the mouth, IF you know what I mean...

Ou-est le Centre George Pompidou?

2. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,334 Posts
    Watch "Love and other drugs", then we'll talk
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels View Post
    So, it would be advantageous NOT to be seeded. Playing away from home is the way to be surely what with the bizarre existence of away goals in ET!
    I think it depends on the team. I used always feel that Celtic were better off at home in the first leg. They were so poor away from home that they'd probably have too much of an uphill battle in the second leg to go through. They were better off having something to hold on to, maybe keeping a clean sheet and defend for their dear lives away from home and possibly nicking an away goal. I think they were drawn at home in every round of their run to the final of the 2003 UEFA Cup, I honestly don't think they would have got there otherwise. I think for more solid teams eg. Man Utd, they are better off playing the away game first. They'll always keep it tight enough to give themselves a real chance in the second leg at Old Trafford. I despise the away goals rule, give me penalties any day. It's hard to know what the best situation is for Ireland. They're unusual that they're pretty decent away and pretty woeful, for the most part, at home. I think I'd like them to play away from home first though.
    Last edited by DeLorean; 29/09/2011 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    I see your point. I definitely would still rather us away. Especially as AGs carry into ET for some unknown reason.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    846 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I love these discussions in the slow days that lead up to the start of a big 2 matches .
    It's always the same.
    I could throw out any topic in the world right now, and there would be serious, and at times fierce debate.
    So I will: Anne Hathaway. Attractive As Hell or Looks Like A Horse? Your call. (Ladies do not hesitate to chime in)
    I reckon she is quite attractive, but she will soon lose that very quickly as her face appears bigger than her features.

Her skin wil droop very quickly, like droppy the dog.

Her eyes are her only real asset that will hold any value. I often think about does her poo stink though, and other such things...
    I'm a bloke,I'm an ocker
    And I really love your knockers,I'm a labourer by day,
    I **** up all me pay,Watching footy on TV,
    Just feed me more VB,Just pour my beer,And get my smokes, And go away

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    366 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_oshea View Post
    I reckon she is quite attractive, but she will soon lose that very quickly as her face appears bigger than her features.

Her skin wil droop very quickly, like droppy the dog.

Her eyes are her only real asset that will hold any value. I often think about does her poo stink though, and other such things...
    I had to google the lass and had her firmly in the 'quite attractive but no Audrey Hepburn (who is?)' category but you've put me right off her with your merciless, highly probable logic!

I think we've surely demonstrated Crosby's point though. I can feel a nerve or two already and we haven't even entered the t-minus 7 days window yet.

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeLorean View Post
    I think it depends on the team. I used always feel that Celtic were better off at home in the first leg. They were so poor away from home that they'd probably have too much of an uphill battle in the second leg to go through. They were better off having something to hold on to, maybe keeping a clean sheet and defend for their dear lives away from home and possibly nicking an away goal. I think they were drawn at home in every round of their run to the final of the 2003 UEFA Cup, I honestly don't think they would have got there otherwise.
    Afair, In that run to the final, Celtic had to up their game away from home because the home result was not good enough to go through. Like us they had more than a few nervy home games but upped their game away.

I'm not that concerned really, If we do end up in the playoffs I think we will do better than last time.
    Last edited by geysir; 30/09/2011 at 12:41 PM.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    I think it depends on the team. I used always feel that Celtic were better off at home in the first leg. They were so poor away from home that they'd probably have too much of an uphill battle in the second leg to go through. They were better off having something to hold on to, maybe keeping a clean sheet and defend for their dear lives away from home and possibly nicking an away goal. I think they were drawn at home in every round of their run to the final of the 2003 UEFA Cup, I honestly don't think they would have got there otherwise. I think for more solid teams eg. Man Utd, they are better off playing the away game first. They'll always keep it tight enough to give themselves a real chance in the second leg at Old Trafford. I despise the away goals rule, give me penalties any day. It's hard to know what the best situation is for Ireland. They're unusual that they're pretty decent away and pretty woeful, for the most part, at home. I think I'd like them to play away from home first though.
    Its a good post but as geysir says, Celtic (completely out of character I know) had some great away performances too after some tight home legs. Whether they would have managed them if it was a first leg encounter is open to debate......

Blackburn - won 1-0 at home then won 2-1 away
    Celta Vigo -won 1-0 at home, then los 2-1 away (went thru on away goals)
    Stuttgart - won 3-1 at home, lost 3-2 away (we went 2-0 up in the away leg and the tie was over)
    Liverpool - drew 1-1 at home won 2-0 at Anfield
    Boavista - drew 1-1 at home won 1-0 away

completely off topic but it was a great run and I was at all those games home and away bar vigo away.

Changed times now for SPL sides.
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    84 Posts
    Thursday 13th October could be a pretty influential day on our road to Poland/Ukraine.

http://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro2012/new...d=1689808.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,813 Posts
    What's an ENG crew?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BonnieShels
    I see your point. I definitely would still rather us away. Especially as AGs carry into ET for some unknown reason.
    Bar the Iran play-off, at home first hasn't helped us in play-offs. One year, it knocked us out completely. (Turkey)

The common consent is that it is better to be away first, so you know what you have to do in front of your own fans. Accordingly, the play-offs here have the strongest teams away first. In the European and UEFA Cups, the same rules apply in the Second Round. I also prefer to be away first, but I hate play-offs, and would prefer two extra group dates in November, like in 2007.
    NL 1st Division Champions 2006
    NL Premier Division Champions 2010
    NL Premier Division Champions 2011

Keep Tallaght Tidy, Throw your rubbish in the Jodi

Ten Years Not Out

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts
    Whatever happens, I think history will show that this was a pretty weak group. Three points from four games against the top seeds is poor enough, regardless of whether we qualify directly, through a play-off, or not at all. If we don't make it, a change of management would be good. Getting ripped apart twice by Russia and drawing twice against Slovakia is sadly not really good enough form to deserve a major tournament.

14. Thanks From:

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    128 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by p2011 View Post
    Whatever happens, I think history will show that this was a pretty weak group. Three points from four games against the top seeds is poor enough, regardless of whether we qualify directly, through a play-off, or not at all. If we don't make it, a change of management would be good. Getting ripped apart twice by Russia and drawing twice against Slovakia is sadly not really good enough form to deserve a major tournament.
    Getting what you "deserve" from qualifying groups can tend to be provisional to the overall goal.

We went unbeaten in our group for Euro 92, for instance.

How teams qualify for finals tends to get forgotten pretty quickly.

Winning ugly on Friday and Tuesday would be completely fine by me anyway!!!
    Quoting years at random since 1975

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    I think there's some truth to p2011's post though.

Failure to win just one game against the top 2 seeds has been another disappointment. Even if we were to qualify via a play-off it'd still require some objective accptance that we do ourselves no favours by leaving points out there against higher ranked teams.

We're limping over the finishing line rather than crossing it with our chests out. After 6 games we were > 2 points per game, now we're back below it. Even if we finish on 21 points (I wouldn't bank on it) it'd be hard not to think we've left something out there. Again.

Full points from Macedonia and Armenia would have some merit, but only one home point from the top two seeds is disappointing. There are better top 2 seeds out there.

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    And needless to say, it'll be hard to win a play-off without beating a top-two seed or a team of similar strength.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,081 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Its a good post but as geysir says, Celtic (completely out of character I know) had some great away performances too after some tight home legs. Whether they would have managed them if it was a first leg encounter is open to debate.....
    True enough... I just meant that having their first leg at home ensured they'd remain in the tie some bit until the second leg really. I think Liverpool and Boavista would definitely have been more attack minded if they were at home in their first legs too but, like you say, that's open to debate. Also, I think they won 2-0 at Ewood!

19. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Kerzhakov (scored against us '02 and '10) is out for Russia
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    True enough... I just meant that having their first leg at home ensured they'd remain in the tie some bit until the second leg really. I think Liverpool and Boavista would definitely have been more attack minded if they were at home in their first legs too but, like you say, that's open to debate. Also, I think they won 2-0 at Ewood!
    True! A mixture of 8 years passing, alcohol on the night in question and probably poor reading/typing skills all contributing factors :-)
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,915 Posts
    All very fine now Junior to say that drink was involved.
    But unless you use the smiley in your post to indicate that you're under the influence, you cannot expect us later to seriously accept your mitigation.

International Prospect
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    446 Posts
    But where are the smilies?

Page 61 of 72 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371 ... LastLast