Beecher Networks - Web Development, Hosting & Domains

Thread: FIFA on Refereeing Mistakes

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    462 Posts

FIFA on Refereeing Mistakes

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/world-c...739?ver=global

"If [Coulibaly] is found to have made a serious mistake, especially one that affected the outcome, then he would be highly unlikely to play any further part in the tournament," an unnamed source said. "FIFA is determined to keep refereeing standards high and does not want high-profile mistakes."
    Why is Hansen at the World Cup then ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBoss View Post
    Why is Hansen at the World Cup then ?
    Cause everyone else makes mistakes too?
    54,321 sold - wws will never die - ***
    ---
    New blog if anyone's interested - http://loihistory.wordpress.com/
    LOI section on balls.ie - http://balls.ie/league-of-ireland/

3. Thanks From:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    Because FIFA make up the rules to suit themselves and to pander to the needs and wants of the big boys
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I thought by and large the standard of refereeing/linesmen hasn't been bad and nearly all very close offsides have been correct. As usual though a couple of major decisions have thrown that theory in to disrepute. Obviously technology would have sorted both yesterday but am I correct in stating that initially there were no hands in the air from the Mexican players for offside until presumably word reached them from the sideline. As for the England "goal", we all got a great view of it from a height and had lots of close ups and slow motions but when you are at ground level it is very difficult to tell whether a ball has crossed a line 20 or 30 yards away in a split second.

My good friend Dunphy has attacked referees and linesmen in general. But he has offered no solution as to where he would get different referees and linesmen from? Ex-players? They don't seem to have any interest and would it really make any difference? I have great sympathy for officials (yes even Hansson). They can only give what they see. The commentators said the linesman must have seen it: then why didn't he give the goal? The Officials are surrounded by cheats and media waiting to pounce on their every mistake and FIFA will give them no help with technology. Blatter apparently loves the controversy caused by incorrect decisions which will always happen no matter what super duper (if there is such a thing) referee is in charge and while he continues to pull the rug out from underneath the feet of officials, they will continue to be the target of Andy Gray, Dunphy and the media (and us fans as well) in general.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlsFan View Post
    am I correct in stating that initially there were no hands in the air from the Mexican players for offside until presumably word reached them from the sideline
    One or two half hearted appeals (Keeper defintely did) but nothing too vigourous. Thye were about to kick off when the replay was (mistakenly) shown on the big screen. CUe lino caliing ref over, followed by entire Mexican team (with Argentina not far behind).

Replays aren't supposed to be shown in the stadiums for this reason
    ---

Capped Player
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,712 Posts
    Good points OF.

The cyncic in me thinks that while FIFA might be embarrassed by the errors, the errors suited them. I'd say FIFA and the international football community looks at England just like the rest of the political world views America - self absorbed, lacking in class and too big for its boots. They may be one of endabob's "big boys" but I think it's more accurate to say "favoured boys".
    Last edited by Stuttgart88; 28/06/2010 at 2:37 PM.

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodge View Post

Replays aren't supposed to be shown in the stadiums for this reason

Right. It put the referee in the horrendous position of having to give a goal he knew (by means he couldn't officially acknowledge) should not have been allowed. I wonder how that referee feels about technology in the game today, and about FIFA, who, by refusing to implement it, make him a potential figure of hatred / ridicule every time he takes a game.

The funny thing is that a lot of referees don't seem to want it either though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    http://www.rte.ie/sport/worldcup/201.../blatters.html

I don't remember any apology to us.

The English said "these things happen" but please award us the next World Cup while the Mexicans "bowed their heads" to stop them headbutting him.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    I wonder did the TV companies get a directive not to do the graphic of the line for potential offside goals following on Mexico vs Argentina. The Spanish goal was very close to offside but no "offside" replay with the line. I have replayed it a few times on my own TV and it is very close. Not saying it was or wasn't - just interesting I didn't see the usual replay with the line across the pitch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,336 Posts
    I wonder did the TV companies get a directive not to do the graphic of the line for potential offside goals following on Mexico vs Argentina. The Spanish goal was very close to offside but no "offside" replay with the line. I have replayed it a few times on my own TV and it is very close. Not saying it was or wasn't - just interesting I didn't see the usual replay with the line across the pitch.
    they did the offside line replay a few times on BBC
    All goals, yellow and red cards tweeted in real time on mastodon, BlueSky and facebook

International Prospect osarusan's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,002 Posts
    Some player (can't remember who) tried to backheel / flick the ball on to Villa, but I'm not sure he touched it. Villa definitely wasn't offside from the initial pass, but would have been from the flick / backheel I think. Even if it wasn't touched, a player attempting to flick on the ball is surely interfering with play?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by osarusan View Post
    Even if it wasn't touched, a player attempting to flick on the ball is surely interfering with play?
    Yeah, but xavi (who attempted the flick) wasn't offside either so its a moot point.

If he touched it (and I think he did), Villa looked off. Not much in it mind.

Apologies were abit half arsed IMO. None to the US for their perfectly good goals disallowed?
    ---

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts
    They didn't replay it in the stadium either, a direct result of the Tevez goal I would imagine
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes, brutalize criminals, and rule you like a king"
    Sideshow Bob

Biased against YOUR club pineapple stu's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,267 Posts
    This is the Spanish goal last night? I thought there was a replay with a line showing that Villa was onside? Xavi definitely flicked it on alright.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    785 Posts
    Blantant peno missed after the Spanish peno when the keeper took down the man and for the Paraguay peno, half the Spanish team had encroached.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,454 Posts
    There was encroachment for all 3 penalties
    ---