Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The PA Announcer at Croke Park

Sadly viewing the houses that were once Milltown
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    790 Posts

The PA Announcer at Croke Park

Am I alone in thinking this guy in an utter ****? France just score, our hearts are in our shoes and he comes on all upbeat and jolly to tell us about the magnificient attendance. "Thanks from the FAI". To hell with that. Concentrate on the equaliser ffs!. Cliches like "Boys in Green", "Let's hear it for both sides" (grrrrr)..

I was at the ground nice and early expecting some rousing music. Some non-descript music that you'd hear on Q102 was played. Eventually "Put 'em under pressure" was played but then cut off just as the crowd was getting in to it.

When the French were out warming up on the pitch we were asked to give them a "big welcome". Thankfully most fans ignored that and were either silent or gave them a hearty boo. Respect their anthem, sure, but welcome the opposition who are there to kill our dreams. Get real. So he played some top 10 song when the French were out instead of "fields of athenry" or "you'll never walk alone" etc etc to make the French feel they were up against a 12th man. They left the pitch feeling "What was the hell John O'Shea was talking about?".

END OF RANT.

P.S. Best support I've heard at a home Irish game since Holland at home.
    Forget about the performance or entertainment. It's only the result that matters.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    89 Posts
    The man is an absolute idiot. I have no idea who thinks that that adds to the atmosphere. It's even worse for the rugby today wher after every mundane penalty he roars out the kickers name and the score as if people don't already know before some god awful song blares out to encourage fans to go wild after a first half penalty.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Yeah, the guy is very annoying, has a squeaky little nervous voice like his voice is just breaking and someone is tickling his nether regions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts
    he is the same guy that does all of Lenister's game in RDS and has bad timing and is terrible with timing all season so nothing new only thing i don't get is that why he is still doing it
    And Miles To Go Before We Sleep

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    He annoys me too. He sounds lonesome as if someone is after dying sometimes.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sproston Green View Post
    Yeah, the guy is very annoying, has a squeaky little nervous voice like his voice is just breaking and someone is tickling his nether regions
    well summed up, i went to the smoking area and i dont even smoke at half time and listened to the radio to avoid him...
    i watched the rugby today and god he's even worse at that , i'd be wishing for a 3-0 win in rugby 0ne score to avoid his voice...
    maybe hes not at the game doesnt watch it and has a time to anounce things and does it no matter whats happening

i'm sure he thinks he great,
    then at the end the adverts for soccer republic and eircom and carlsburg while the team is on pitch and the crowd are trying to chear and sing...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    44 Posts
    Better than the 'fógra do na gardaí agus do na maor' lad anyway. Remember the announcer saying "substitution for West Germ....ahem Germany" at the game in 07!
    "If you don't work harder I'll pull you off at halftime,"
    “Crikey, at Manchester City all we get is an orange and a cup of tea,"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    we were laughing at him last night, he sounds like yer man from father ted who does ther announcing at the fair in season 1.
    A man can have no greater love than give 90 minutes to his friends

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Splurge View Post
    we were laughing at him last night, he sounds like yer man from father ted who does ther announcing at the fair in season 1.
    yeah, we were thinking the same. My friend was convinced it's the same fella.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sproston Green View Post
    Was thinking the same thing myself
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    176 Posts
    Hate the Ole Ole music blared out at full volume, when we score. Go West was much better. Trouble with that, is people start cheering and applauding to the music, rather than the team.

The PA wasn't all bad last night though. The French girl telling the frogs not to smoke and to stay behind after the game sounded great.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts
    The resident Soccer/Rugby announcer is a bellend. The 'fógra do na gardaí agus do na maor' lad still has his communion money I'd say. Doesn't say much for the PR industry in Ireland

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    542 Posts
    have been saying it for years that he is a complete clown who hasnt a clue. leave the atmosphere to the fans please. trying to force atmosphere on fans with tacky music after we score is counter productive.

this eejit thinks its all about him but if you think he's bad at the football just wait till you attend an Irish rugby game..... unbearable really! was listening to the radio coverage from the rugby yesterday and the rte reporters were giving out about him blaring all over their reports!

have hardly missed a home rugby match since 1985 yet didnt go yesterday with probably the main reason being the complete tack fest this lad has made the matches. its more like an ice hockey match these days with constant music throughout the game
    Last edited by jbyrne; 16/11/2009 at 8:35 AM.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Youths4Ever View Post
    he is the same guy that does all of Lenister's game in RDS and has bad timing and is terrible with timing all season so nothing new only thing i don't get is that why he is still doing it
    Yep, he's a moron. He's actually capable of sucking the atmosphere out of a stadium, whether it's 18,500 in the RDS or 75,000 in Croker.

There's a group of us in the North Stand at Leinster games who've taken to shouting at him to shut up when he goes off on one of those really long spiels of his...

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mandrake View Post
    then at the end the adverts for soccer republic and eircom and carlsburg while the team is on pitch and the crowd are trying to chear and sing...
    That was hugely frustrating. There were still thousands of people there who wanted to cheer the lads on to Paris and all you could hear were those deafening ads. The FAI really don't have a clue, not that that's surprising news.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    He's a complete gob****e. I've complained about him to the IRFU a few times and I know others have too but he is getting worse. And what's with the bloody drummers? Its so bad I'm seriously thinking of giving up my tickets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    The stupid ****er also made a balls of pronouncing the names of some of the Italian players before that game. He just gave up on Camoranesi after Camo, Cama, Camel. What a joke.
    This is not the best signature in the world, this is just a tribute

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    174 Posts
    He had an entertaining version of one of the Australian subs yesterday too.
    We're not arrogant, we're just better.

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    133 Posts
    He's a twerp of the highest order.

Apprentice
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    8 Posts
    The constipated Christian Brother who does the Fógra stuff is relatively harmless and at least he gets it over with.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast