Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Phil Bardsley ?

Closed Account
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    200 Posts

Phil Bardsley ?

Bardsley, the Sunderland right back, is available to us. (He also qualifies for Scotland and England). Apparently he's turned Scotland down but hasn't been approached by us. Although he's a bit short as a defender, I think he could be a good option to consider. McShane can play at right back too, but Bardsley seems to start at right back for Sunderland.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    No thank you.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Better option than McShane

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Not this rubbish again.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    18 Posts
    If all goes to plan we'll have four Irish right backs playing every week in the Premiership Finnan, Foley, Kelly and Carr (if he comes out of retirement). SO I'd argue we're relatively well covered in that position. Not going to stop Trap playing McShane there though....

International Prospect DmanDmythDledge's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    16 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmo View Post
    If all goes to plan we'll have four Irish right backs playing every week in the Premiership Finnan, Foley, Kelly and Carr (if he comes out of retirement). SO I'd argue we're relatively well covered in that position. Not going to stop Trap playing McShane there though....
    Kelly will not be playing regularly at right back for Fulham. He will be a back up choice for their first XI.

It is positive though that we will have a number of options playing regularly in the top division (don't forget O'Shea as well).

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cfdh_edmundo View Post
    McShane can play at right back too,.
    ... since when ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    282 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Diarmo View Post
    I think Joey O'Brien can play right back as well and even though I'm not a big fan of his I'd take him over Bardsley.
    My Guarantee
    Am looking for old Irish matches on VHS, PM me if you have some and I'll upload them here

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    I think if Phil Bardsley had any connection with his Irish roots, he wouldn't have gone on loan to Rangers. I'd be very surprised if he agreed to play for Ireland at any point in his career.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy Garcia View Post
    ... since when ?
    Since he can't play at centre back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    403 Posts
    I can see it now the Daily Mirror's Headline next June: "Phil Bardsley scores 2 goals vs Spain to put Ireland in the World Cup Finals, Real Madrid eyeing Bardsley."
    Bardsley credits amazing WC performance to his out of nowhere call up from the Italian Wizard Gio Trappa, right before the World Cup started. "I didnt even know I was Irish at the time," Said Bardsley, who recently bought a home in Cork. Stephen Ireland is said to be considering a return to the fold for the EURO 2012 campaign after being moved to tears watching Bardsley wave his magic wand during the World Cup including 3 goals vs North Korea that BArdsley dedicated to the long suffering Irish fans. "Its amazing, I didnt know I was Irish either." Said Ireland.
    No Somos muchos pero estamos locos.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    I can see it now the Daily Mirror's Headline next June: "Phil Bardsley scores 2 goals vs Spain to put Ireland in the World Cup Finals, Real Madrid eyeing Bardsley."
    Bardsley credits amazing WC performance to his out of nowhere call up from the Italian Wizard Gio Trappa, right before the World Cup started. "I didnt even know I was Irish at the time," Said Bardsley, who recently bought a home in Cork. Stephen Ireland is said to be considering a return to the fold for the EURO 2012 campaign after being moved to tears watching Bardsley wave his magic wand during the World Cup including 3 goals vs North Korea that BArdsley dedicated to the long suffering Irish fans. "Its amazing, I didnt know I was Irish either." Said Ireland.

He's not he is from Cork
    "You'll not see nothing like the Shelbourne team"

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Crosby87 View Post
    Jesus, when are you yanks going to forget North Korea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    I think if Phil Bardsley had any connection with his Irish roots, he wouldn't have gone on loan to Rangers. I'd be very surprised if he agreed to play for Ireland at any point in his career.
    It's time to get past this crap. Brian Kerr and Maybury both represented our national team as Protestant Irishmen, and both supported Rangers in their childhood.

I don't want our national team to be "the Catholic team," and have the North be "the Protestant team."

I want one team on the Island wearing green, and I don't care what church or temple the players choose to waste their time in.

Youth Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Brian Kerr is protestant?! Well now had I of known that....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    130 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bogwarrior View Post
    Brian Kerr is protestant?! Well now had I of known that....
    Don't think he is, not that it makes any odds. Maybe his Dad was.

Big Jack obviously was.....

First Team
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    114 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumcondra 69er View Post
    Don't think he is, not that it makes any odds. Maybe his Dad was.

Big Jack obviously was.....
    Was Big Jack ? I'm sure he was a scientologist, just like Stan.

Reserves
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post
    It's time to get past this crap. Brian Kerr and Maybury both represented our national team as Protestant Irishmen, and both supported Rangers in their childhood.

I don't want our national team to be "the Catholic team," and have the North be "the Protestant team."

I want one team on the Island wearing green, and I don't care what church or temple the players choose to waste their time in.
    I think it's crap too, but you have to accept that Irish players, for now anyway, just don't play for Rangers as they know that they'll get a hard time from (an admittedly minority) of Irish supporters. The point being that if Bardsley was aware of the issue that some Irish supporters had about the Rangers connection, and actually had any interest in playing for Ireland, then he wouldn't have gone there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    245 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serb View Post
    I think it's crap too, but you have to accept that Irish players, for now anyway, just don't play for Rangers as they know that they'll get a hard time from (an admittedly minority) of Irish supporters. The point being that if Bardsley was aware of the issue that some Irish supporters had about the Rangers connection, and actually had any interest in playing for Ireland, then he wouldn't have gone there.
    Alan Maybury publically admitted on multiple occasions that he wanted to be the first Republic of Ireland international to play for Rangers while he was at his peak (never really a good player though).

Don't remember him getting any stick for it really, but maybe people just didn't care enough about him for it to be an issue.

In terms of his actual ability, Bardsley is probably good enough to be in the squad and an option at fullback, but he doesn't seem interested in us, and judging by this thread we're not particularly interested in him.

Seasoned Pro
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    229 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by irishfan86 View Post

The only person posting about religion is you though?
    I thought you were off the drink Ronnie?

"No, I drink to help me mind my own business....can I get you one? (c) Ronnie Drew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast